Starship - Test Flight ( 4:45pm CST)

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

The green flame is from their hypergolic igniter system for the engine, you see it with the falcon 9 landings as well. 

Negative, doesn't apply to Starship and the Rapter engines. Most likely coming from surrounding copper due to oxydizer rich mix of fuel caused by the low pressure im the fuel tank. 

Edited by Dahobbs

5 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Negative, doesn't apply to Starship and the Rapter engines. Most likely coming from surrounding copper due to oxydizer rich mix of fuel caused by the low pressure im the fuel tank. 

nice catch - I didn't realize that the Raptors use a different ignition system. Spacenerd youtube is pretty sure the green was indeed copper from "engine rich exhaust"

Apparently the green glow at the end was caused by an intentional shutdown of one engine - which should swing away so the other engines can maneuver. The green was copper burning when two of the engines collided during final seconds of the flight. (engines have a copper component). 

Here is summary of last weeks events:

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Captainant said:

bruh for $150??? You're getting bilked for a plastic model and decal kit

It's $95 at Estes, and you can get it for $75 or so looking around, and it comes with everything, including the controller.

It's a little bigger than some rockets, but he's already got some experience with them.

il_1588xN.4229623033_g7rw.jpg

He's obsessed with space and space travel.  We already have an old Apollo rocket as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

It's $95 at Estes, and you can get it for $75 or so looking around, and it comes with everything, including the controller.

It's a little bigger than some rockets, but he's already got some experience with them.

il_1588xN.4229623033_g7rw.jpg

He's obsessed with space and space travel.  We already have an old Apollo rocket as well.

That rules. I grew up building Estes kits and then moving up into high powered rocketry in highschool. Get your kids building and putting together parts themselves as much as you can as early as you can! My first "realistic" build was a Titan II in Gemini livery, complete with polycarb fins that you couldn't see so it looked like the real deal - I think it flew with a "D" motor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Upgrayedd said:

Was that supposed to happen?  Looked squirrelly.

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah. Huge success, actually. First flight on an unbelievably ambitious platform, I'm impressed.

Anything above clearing the tower was a success. The rest was just gravy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I guess that's cool but it doesn't give me any Elongation like it does others.

As it shouldn't

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Outstanding.  Stuff flying off as it went up.  In case you missed it:

That stuff is probably insulation panels that are made to fall away like that.