Explosions every night in Clarksville area?

Biff Tannen

I have a friend who lives in Clarksville and every night for the past couple of weeks she has woken up in the middle of the night to at least one and sometimes several jarring explosions, enough to rattle her windows apparently.  She's called 311 and they aren't helpful.  It's not a transformer exploding because power is staying on and I don't think it would continue eveyr night either.  Apparently it's all over Nextdoor, but fuck that site, and people say they can hear it up to 30th St and down to Zilker/Bouldin.

Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?  There is a slight possibility this person may be a little off, so I'm trying to gauge the reality of this situation.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I have a friend who lives in Clarksville and every night for the past couple of weeks she has woken up in the middle of the night to at least one and sometimes several jarring explosions, enough to rattle her windows apparently.  She's called 311 and they aren't helpful.  It's not a transformer exploding because power is staying on and I don't think it would continue eveyr night either.  Apparently it's all over Nextdoor, but fuck that site, and people say they can hear it up to 30th St and down to Zilker/Bouldin.

Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?  There is a slight possibility this person may be a little off, so I'm trying to gauge the reality of this situation.

If it's on Nextdoor, I imagine that the explanation has something to do with that suspicious looking minority driving a "work van" that Karen saw drive by her house one afternoon.

She called the cops, of course, because you can never be too safe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If it's on Nextdoor, I imagine that the explanation has something to do with that suspicious looking minority driving a "work van" that Karen saw drive by her house one afternoon.

She called the cops, of course, because you can never be too safe.

Thank you for keeping the brisket stereotype going. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Based on my Nextdoor experience, it’s probably garbage trucks emptying construction dumpsters.

While I'm a bit north of that area in the OP, I've been woken up by really loud bangs once or twice, and assume it's construction dumpsters, although I'm wondering if our noise is from the Grove shit.

For whatever reason, the waste management companies in this city like to empty all of the dumpsters between midnight and 5am.  Annoying as fuck, especially since it seems like it kind of violates the noise ordinances.  A couple of the condo/apartment complexes in our neighborhood had some that were really bad, so finally I called the company up, pretended I lived in one of the complexes, told them that if they can't shift emptying the dumpsters until later in the day when people are actually awake, when their contract came up we'd be changing companies.  They moved the time.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

For whatever reason, the waste management companies in this city like to empty all of the dumpsters between midnight and 5am.  

Yeah, since I moved to Brentwood closer to the commercial stuff on Burnet Road, I hear dumpster throw-downs almost every weekday morning between 3-5am. 

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, since I moved to Brentwood closer to the commercial stuff on Burnet Road, I hear dumpster throw-downs almost every weekday morning between 3-5am. 

The big roll-off construction ones are pretty loud when they drop them off.  Also I don’t think there’s a siding by Clarksville, but when the railroad hooks and unhooks cars they are load as hell too.

• Like 1

This popped up this morning

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/loud-booms-in-south-austin-lead-to-911-calls-but-no-explanation/

Multiple loud booms woke people up overnight in south Austin. The Austin Police Department says as many as a dozen people called 911. The first call came in at 2:30 a.m.

APD says the callers described the noises as “gunshots,” “a transformer exploding,” and a “loud boom noise.” Multiple people said they could hear at least three different booms. One caller also said this happened before in September.

“Calls to 311 being transferred to 911. 911 operator advised of multiple reports but not explanation,” one KXAN viewer wrote to us. They also said they’ve heard the loud noises since approximately September.

Austin Police sent an officer to the area around 3 a.m. That officer drove around but did not hear the loud sounds.

The Austin Fire Department said there were no electrical issues. Austin Energy is not reporting any outage. APD says due to the number of calls, this “could escalate” during the daytime.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember playing golf (as a civilian) at one of the courses at Ft Knox, years ago.  at one point, I started hearing what I thought was a series of 'dumpster throw-downs'.  my buddy/host explained it was a team of M1s at the gun range.

so maybe this is really just some Jade Helm shit.