Formula 1 2021

wood

15 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It was out by 0.2mm on the left side only. They believe it was damaged during Q.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-hamiltons-wing-failed-tests-by-just-02mm/6778697/

I can't believe that you believe that BS from Mercedes. The test design is a go/no-go test. The gauge either goes through with a maximum of 10N force applied or it doesn't. This most recent explanation from Mercedes completely contradicts their previous one and the official report. It's not possible to fail the gauge test by a larger amount because it's in contact with the wing during the test. 

It was either BS or just imprecise English meaning to say it didn't open up way too far on its own. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I can't believe that you believe that BS from Mercedes. The test design is a go/no-go test. The gauge either goes through with a maximum of 10N force applied or it doesn't. This most recent explanation from Mercedes completely contradicts their previous one and the official report. It's not possible to fail the gauge test by a larger amount because it's in contact with the wing during the test. 
It was either BS or just imprecise English meaning to say it didn't open up way too far on its own. 

Right, so why does that mean it’s not then 0.2 out from what it should normally be (according to their own specification) be at base opening before force is applied? What if they normally set it at say 84.5 (knowing that it does deflect some) so that it passes the test, and it was now at 84.7 and failed?

The teams test this stuff themselves, too, which is why they probably would have caught it before Q on a normal weekend.

Max needs to make sure that Hamilton doesn’t pass him by any means necessary. By any means necessary.
Max and Bottas were something like 13 seconds ahead of Sainz by the end of the sprint. I'll be very surprised if Lewis can reel them in today. Not gonna say he can't after yesterday, though.

And Toto’s not happy about it for whatever reason. And Horner essentially says too bad, not sad. They are very entertaining rivals. 

They are, and my reply was mostly sarcasm, because this stuff happens relatively often. They want to make sure they don’t get caught out for the same thing.

Everyone on mediums to start the race except TSU on sorts.

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Hamilton is so much quicker than the field. 

Having a brand new engine will do that. Only penalizing him 5 spots is rubbish. Should be put in the rear. Making up 5 spots versus older engines is nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norris-wants-one-shot-qualifying-on-f1-sprint-weekends/6780905/

I like Landon’s idea. (Or was it Alonzo?)

The one-hour of running that takes place after qualifying and before the sprint race has been criticised for being irrelevant for fans, even though it is useful for teams in gathering tyre data.

Norris thinks that the practice session should be got rid of completely, and instead replaced by a one-shot qualifying session that decides the grid for the sprint.

"The thing I would love to maybe add is to change it so you have qualifying on Friday for the race on Sunday," explained Norris.

"Then you have a one-shot qualifying on Saturday morning for the sprint race on Saturday. So a one-lap qualifying like they used to do.

"I think that could be exciting, instead of the FP2 that we do now. Therefore you set up Saturday to be a little bit separate, I guess. So the sprint wouldn't mean anything for the Sunday race."

Separate question. Have they ever explored awarding more points to more grid spots?  Seems like that could make the midfield battles more exciting. 

It was Alonso, 2 or 3 weeks ago. And yeah, it makes some sense imho.