Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

On 1/25/2020 at 5:38 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Jimbo’s tenure actually reminds me of Kirby Smart so far at Georgia. Multiple recruiters, lack of development (mainly on offense), and lack of creativity on offense. 

The only difference is A&M isn’t recruiting at anywhere close to the level of Georgia. If you’re going to take that approach you better really drop some bags and recruit like Georgia does. Plus, even Smart  has adapted offensively with the Monken hire.

Who on A&M’s offensive staff do you consider a “developer” or hell even somebody  that adds value from a scheme/play calling perspective? 

i mean, i get what you are saying but Kirby has actually had some success

• 2019 Georgia, 28 OFEI, 3 DFEI (#6 overall FEI team)
  • 2018 Georgia, 3 / 10 (#3 overall)
  • 2017 Georgia, 6 / 4 (#1 overall)
  • 2019 A&M, 42 / 31 (#31 overall)
  • 2018 A&M, 15 / 39 (#21 overall)

Kirby is 44-12 and 25-7 in conference and has lost 3 total conf games the last 3 years 

Jimbo is 17-19 and 9-7 in conference

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It's weird so many coaches can't wait to leave

what's so weird? there's a thread for coaching carousel since this thing happens every year at most schools...probably is happening even more off late. 

I'd rather that position coaches get looks from other schools or NFL than to have coaches that nobody wants and will likely be out of coaching if/when they get fired. and younger coaches are likely to move especially for a pay raise but also to build their resume, their contacts, and learn new systems. it's not just a Jimbo/A&M thing.  would you have coaches who you have to fire or coaches who others try to recruit away from you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Looking ahead to our game at LSU - Devaurany is really going to be a big loss for us

Reveal hidden contents

EPTXJ9RXsAI_Yfw?format=jpg&name=smallEPTXKbaXsAA3uOE?format=jpg&name=smallEPTXK-4W4AMIIx1?format=png&name=360x360EPTXLToXUAIqSx9?format=jpg&name=small

that misspelling requires a ton of effort. sheesh.  then again, in the same post, he also can't tell the difference between there, their, and they're.

thumb_when-comforting-a-grammar-naz-ialw

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They keep saying we're replacing our OL losses with JAGs... they know the guys coming up are nearly entirely bluechips who had aggy offers, right?

Hide contents

EPT1okvXkAcSXin?format=jpg&name=smallEPT1pQwWAAATBOz?format=jpg&name=smallEPT1p6cXsAAIiwk?format=jpg&name=360x360EPT1y4sWsAErH_V?format=jpg&name=900x900

Your schedule isn't kind though; OL needs time to gel to work as one unit, and you face LSU in second week. And two weeks later you face @KSU and then the annual OU grudge game. Seems a bit front-loaded, so the OL may not be ready?

How good is USF?  Decent tune-up for @LSU the next week? Would have been fun to have Charlie Strong back in Austin but obviously on the visitor's side.

10 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Your schedule isn't kind though; OL needs time to gel to work as one unit, and you face LSU in second week. And two weeks later you face @KSU and then the annual OU grudge game. Seems a bit front-loaded, so the OL may not be ready?

How good is USF?  Decent tune-up for @LSU the next week? Would have been fun to have Charlie Strong back in Austin but obviously on the visitor's side.

We’re only losing two starters, and we’ve had the same OL coach for three years now.  This isn't some monumental adjustment where we have to replace our whole OL.

Personally, I’d be more concerned about returning the exact same 5 guys who formed a horrible OL unit the year under a HC who has a history of god awful OLs with a position coach the HC wanted to replace, but that’s just me. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re only losing two starters, and we’ve had the same OL coach for three years now.  This isn't some monumental adjustment where we have to replace our whole OL.

Personally, I’d be more concerned about returning the exact same 5 guys who formed a horrible OL unit the year before....

i'm worried about LG/C. Not a big Angilou fan and I don't think Ghirmai has what it takes to play center.  So I'm thinking Kerksetter will be the C. Okafor at RG, Williams/Johnson/Hookfin at RT.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Personally, I’d be more concerned about returning the exact same 5 guys who formed a horrible OL unit the year under a HC who has a history of god awful OLs with a position coach the HC wanted to replace, but that’s just me. 

no, it's not just you; i'm there with you. 

it's come to the point of assuming the OL is wrecked unless proven otherwise. which is incredible seeing how A&M has produced better than average OL in the last decade before Jimbo's arrival, with several NFL starters...including at tackle.

it's fair to bring up barely-there OL of A&M, but tbh the discussion was about UT so that's why I only thought and wrote about what I thought could be a weak point in the UT game.

Edited by PHLaggie

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

i'm worried about LG/C. Not a big Angilou fan and I don't think Ghirmai has what it takes to play center.  So I'm thinking Kerksetter will be the C. Okafor at RG, Williams/Johnson/Hookfin at RT.

Eh. Angilau was still raw as a second-year last year. Ideally, he wouldn’t have been starting until this year, but he’s been ahead of schedule, which I take as a positive. Kerstetter is a very solid RT option and he’s better Center than Shackelford. There’s a good chance one of Jones, Moore, Johnson, or Hookfin are ready to start at RT. Plus, we have a 5th year Okafor who can be at least ever age at either G or RT, since Hand seems to snag him there. Replacing 2 guys won’t be seamless but we have good options. 
Plus There’s a pretty good chance we get a GT, so then we only need one guy on the roster to step up to a starting spot, which won’t be tough since we had good OL hails in both 2018 and 2019. 

• Like 2

the "Texas OL is bad" aggy talking point continues for years despite the evidence to the contrary. I don't want to get into the entire discussion again and the Longhorn OL is not going to be confused with tOSU or Bama, but this OL is going to be very good and has been good. It's been consistently improving each year in the Herman era. 

"Texas also pounded out 231 yards against the nation's No. 1 rush defense, which had held 10 opponents under 70 yards. " 

The ability to RS our commits on the OL/DL will start to pay big dividends in 2020 and on as we have FINALLY come out of the fucking FUPMStrong decimation. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Personally, I’d be more concerned about returning the exact same 5 guys who formed a horrible OL unit the year before....

Stupid sip, Kenyon Green only looked awful at OG because he's a more natural OT. His move to OT will fix any and all issues you saw with our cubes. It's clearly going to be easier for him to face faster guys in space vs. slower guys in a phone booth. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So I'm thinking Kerksetter will be the C. Okafor at RG, Williams/Johnson/Hookfin at RT.

I imagine we will see a grad xfer with one of the starting spots with the current roster I'd imagine we'll see something like :: 

Cosmi, Johnson, Kerstetter, Okafor/Angliau, Jones/Moore/Hookfin (Tyler, Ghirmai, Imade all rounding out the rotation is what is finally an actual competitive 2-deep)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

what's so weird? there's a thread for coaching carousel since this thing happens every year at most schools...probably is happening even more off late. 

I'd rather that position coaches get looks from other schools or NFL than to have coaches that nobody wants and will likely be out of coaching if/when they get fired. and younger coaches are likely to move especially for a pay raise but also to build their resume, their contacts, and learn new systems. it's not just a Jimbo/A&M thing.  would you have coaches who you have to fire or coaches who others try to recruit away from you?

I don't think signs are great regarding tenure under Fisher at ATM with his staff. That said, yeah, give me a situation where others want guys on the staff versus what Texas had in the first 3 years under Herman, in which no one wanted any of these fucking rubes.

13 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

no, it's not just you; i'm there with you. 

it's come to the point of assuming the OL is wrecked unless proven otherwise. which is incredible seeing how A&M has produced better than average OL in the last decade before Jimbo's arrival, with several NFL starters...including at tackle.

it's fair to bring up barely-there OL of A&M, but tbh the discussion was about UT so that's why I only thought and wrote about what I thought could be a weak point in the UT game.

This guy is seemingly level-headed and it's really starting to creep me out.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. Angilau was still raw as a second-year last year. Ideally, he wouldn’t have been starting until this year, but he’s been ahead of schedule, which I take as a positive. Kerstetter is a very solid RT option and he’s better Center than Shackelford. There’s a good chance one of Jones, Moore, Johnson, or Hookfin are ready to start at RT. Plus, we have a 5th year Okafor who can be at least ever age at either G or RT, since Hand seems to snag him there. Replacing 2 guys won’t be seamless but we have good options. 
Plus There’s a pretty good chance we get a GT, so then we only need one guy on the roster to step up to a starting spot, which won’t be tough since we had good OL hails in both 2018 and 2019. 

I'm quite stunned by the missives I've seen out there regarding the apparent hole left in our lineup with Shackleford gone. At one point did this guy go from liability/near liability to irreplaceable? It's odd. I assume we'll see it in the preseason magazines and write-ups as well. Excellent.

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

the "Texas OL is bad" aggy talking point continues for years despite the evidence to the contrary. I don't want to get into the entire discussion again and the Longhorn OL is not going to be confused with tOSU or Bama, but this OL is going to be very good and has been good. It's been consistently improving each year in the Herman era. 

"Texas also pounded out 231 yards against the nation's No. 1 rush defense, which had held 10 opponents under 70 yards. " 

The ability to RS our commits on the OL/DL will start to pay big dividends in 2020 and on as we have FINALLY come out of the fucking FUPMStrong decimation. 

Stupid sip, Kenyon Green only looked awful at OG because he's a more natural OT. His move to OT will fix any and all issues you saw with our cubes. It's clearly going to be easier for him to face faster guys in space vs. slower guys in a phone booth. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I imagine we will see a grad xfer with one of the starting spots with the current roster I'd imagine we'll see something like :: 

Cosmi, Johnson, Kerstetter, Okafor/Angliau, Jones/Moore/Hookfin (Tyler, Ghirmai, Imade all rounding out the rotation is what is finally an actual competitive 2-deep)

I don't know how good/objective this OL ranking is, so give your insights if you have any. 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

A few salient points that jump at me, someone who is more of a casual observer with no insider knowledge:

- LSU and UT OL are rated/ranked pretty closely. So perhaps I'm overplaying the UT OL issues going into 2020 season.

- UT and Auburn are rated pretty closely too, so Hand left cupboard full at Auburn and/or is working his regime with UT's OL to the point of upgrading it to the similar level as Auburn's, his previous coaching stop.

- A&M's OL is ranked 30 spots below UT's, not that A&M and UT are on-field competitors.  More importantly, the blurb about A&M's OL being 34th best for ground game, while only 107th in pass pro.  Now look at oSu's ranking, at #25. If Josh Henson is any good, 2020 is a pretty good year to prove it and narrow the spread between A&M's and oSu's OL rankings, similar to what Hand has done for UT vis a vis Auburn.

Looks like A&M's higher rated OL backups (4-star out of high school) suffered season-long injuries and therefore couldn't provide the competition needed to displace any of the starters even when the starters weren't playing too well.  I have no idea if any one of Colten Blanton (6'7", 303lb out of high school, 13th best OT in 2018 class), or Grayson Reed (6'5", 305, 4-star), or Blake Trainor (6'7", 330, 3-star) are any good at any of the OL spots or if they're even healthy. Hopefully at least one of them finally is ready to play and at least provide quality backup minutes. There is also OG Tank Jenkins, OG/C Luke Matthews, and C Layden Robinson-- all 4 stars or position ranked pretty highly.

Only "WTF" guys seem to be Barton Clement from last year and Jordan Jefferson from this year. Maybe they both get switched to DL. Jefferson is this year's version of Clement, except even shorter and slightly heavier!

So in short, the cupboard doesn't seem empty, and it's up to Henson to get the OL right and ready.

37 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I don't know how good/objective this OL ranking is, so give your insights if you have any. 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

A few salient points that jump at me, someone who is more of a casual observer with no insider knowledge:

- LSU and UT OL are rated/ranked pretty closely. So perhaps I'm overplaying the UT OL issues going into 2020 season.

- UT and Auburn are rated pretty closely too, so Hand left cupboard full at Auburn and/or is working his regime with UT's OL to the point of upgrading it to the similar level as Auburn's, his previous coaching stop.

- A&M's OL is ranked 30 spots below UT's, not that A&M and UT are on-field competitors.  More importantly, the blurb about A&M's OL being 34th best for ground game, while only 107th in pass pro.  Now look at oSu's ranking, at #25. If Josh Henson is any good, 2020 is a pretty good year to prove it and narrow the spread between A&M's and oSu's OL rankings, similar to what Hand has done for UT vis a vis Auburn.

Looks like A&M's higher rated OL backups (4-star out of high school) suffered season-long injuries and therefore couldn't provide the competition needed to displace any of the starters even when the starters weren't playing too well.  I have no idea if any one of Colten Blanton (6'7", 303lb out of high school, 13th best OT in 2018 class), or Grayson Reed (6'5", 305, 4-star), or Blake Trainor (6'7", 330, 3-star) are any good at any of the OL spots or if they're even healthy. Hopefully at least one of them finally is ready to play and at least provide quality backup minutes. There is also OG Tank Jenkins, OG/C Luke Matthews, and C Layden Robinson-- all 4 stars or position ranked pretty highly.

Only "WTF" guys seem to be Barton Clement from last year and Jordan Jefferson from this year. Maybe they both get switched to DL. Jefferson is this year's version of Clement, except even shorter and slightly heavier!

So in short, the cupboard doesn't seem empty, and it's up to Henson to get the OL right and ready.

PFF is decent for college football. They don’t give it the same time as their NFL grades, so I find them to be much more hit or miss for college. 

Overall, I’d say Texas’ issues were much less with personnel or coaching of the OL specifically, and much more caused by game planning/play calling in games. There were multiple weeks where it was so shitty, we didn’t even give our OL a chance. I expect that to change with Yurcich, and I think we finish slightly above where we were this year. 

A&M’s problem is y’all have no real tackles. Turner (before Jimbo) and since Jimbo got there have recruited all guards basically every class, and Jimbo did the same thing at FSU. Blanton and Reed have had a ton of injury issues and probably aren’t ready. Reed doesn’t really have feet for Tackle and Trainor is a straight up JAG.  Shitty OLs are a consistent characteristic of his tenures. See below. Y’all will probably improve some due to returning your starters, but I’m not sure the pieces are there for Henson to work wonders, and Jimbo’s refusal to utilize Mond in the running game only makes matters worse for y’all. It’s absolutely insane that Jimbo has a freak athlete like Mond and refuses to use his legs to make up for a poor OL. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:34 AM, texasstrong12 said:

SIAP. It's almost like recruiting a bunch of guards and no tackles is a problem. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s absolutely insane that Jimbo has a freak athlete like Mond and refuses to use his legs to make up for a poor OL. 

I'll take it a step further: even if the OL were all world, not utilizing the full talent of a guy like Mond is a sign that maybe you shouldn't have jack-shit to do with the offensive side of the ball at all, let alone as the head coach.

That's like training a pit bull to be a purse dog.

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm not sure we have a "loading" front or back.  of course, we don't have an FCS and 2 G5's in the first 6 games.

that said, no excuses for our OL to not be ready in year 4.  

On 12/31/2019 at 10:32 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

Quote:

What have you heard about movement of coaches?

I don't like to speculate, or more specifically, be the one driving this speculation. I'll leave that for the folks who are desperate for the clicks. The one I'll address now is Joe Jon because there's just so much swirling out there about him leaving for Ole Miss and it sounds to me like his guys at A&M are aware of it. I'm not expecting a ton of staff attrition or sweeping changes if that's what you're asking.

Here is the Looch gem. Not expecting a ton of attrition just Joe Jon...

oh...and 3 others 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have my reservations about Hand right now. The pieces are there for a good but not dominating OL. Grandy and Hudson having to medical hurts, as does losing an athletic OT prospect like Shepherd. The problem is Texas hasn't really been recruiting lights out at the position. There needs to be more guys like Angilau and Johnson. Those guys are high 4 stars. Outside of those 2, you have a bunch of projects. For every Kerstetter and Cosmi you have Okafor and Imade. We aren't in a position to take GTs this year, because we are finally running up against the 85 number, and will probably need attrition just for the 2020 HS class. If Jones and Moore show little this season I would move them towards not going to contribute category. Not sure what to think about Tyler, he's massive. Maybe some things change with the "new" direction on offense.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I have my reservations about Hand right now. The pieces are there for a good but not dominating OL. Grandy and Hudson having to medical hurts, as does losing an athletic OT prospect like Shepherd. The problem is Texas hasn't really been recruiting lights out at the position. There needs to be more guys like Angilau and Johnson. Those guys are high 4 stars. Outside of those 2, you have a bunch of projects. For every Kerstetter and Cosmi you have Okafor and Imade. We aren't in a position to take GTs this year, because we are finally running up against the 85 number, and will probably need attrition just for the 2020 HS class. If Jones and Moore show little this season I would move them towards not going to contribute category. Not sure what to think about Tyler, he's massive. Maybe some things change with the "new" direction on offense.

We're taking a GT. Hand has followed pretty much every eligible FBS OL on Twitter and I doubt it's because he likes their thoughts on today's music.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We're taking a GT. Hand has followed pretty much every eligible FBS OL on Twitter and I doubt it's because he likes their thoughts on today's music.

Htownhorn’s takes on the OL are always hilariously bad. He failed to point out that 2019 was Hand’s first full class to recruit and our recruiting on the OL has been very good since then. 

He failed to mention half the young guys that may be ready to contribute this year when we only need to fill one, maybe two starting spots on the OL.

He’s dead wrong on the GT point. We’re actively trying for GTs and space won’t be the issue if we can’t get one. He always gets so caught up in the 85 man count while somehow forgetting about offseason attrition (whether forced or unplanned) every year. 

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is an odd take even for you. Herman/Hand have evaluated the OLine pretty well since they arrived. Nobody hits 100% on the OL recruiting, but we are a long ways from the days of Cameron Hughes playing meaningful snaps and Dom Espinosa being considered our best lineman. We dont have any Tristan Nickelson level liabilities in the two deep, and even though Ghirmai and Okafor aren’t world beaters they do provide viable backup options that wont be a flashing turnstyle on film for the first time in a decade. Jones specifically has had positive buzz at times and seems like a guy that just needs that last coaching point or mental reps to click in order to regularly contribute. The incoming class should also have a few guys who push for playing time in year two or three.  We knew Shepherd was a roll of the dice, and that didnt work out, but it was a risk we needed to take for a potential first round level tackle had the kid not decided to office space his classes.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

This is an odd take even for you. Herman/Hand have evaluated the OLine pretty well since they arrived. Nobody hits 100% on the OL recruiting, but we are a long ways from the days of Cameron Hughes playing meaningful snaps and Dom Espinosa being considered our best lineman. We dont have any Tristan Nickelson level liabilities in the two deep, and even though Ghirmai and Okafor aren’t world beaters they do provide viable backup options that wont be a flashing turnstyle on film for the first time in a decade. Jones specifically has had positive buzz at times and seems like a guy that just needs that last coaching point or mental reps to click in order to regularly contribute. The incoming class should also have a few guys who push for playing time in year two or three.  We knew Shepherd was a roll of the dice, and that didnt work out, but it was a risk we needed to take for a potential first round level tackle had the kid not decided to office space his classes.

I wouldn't say they evaluated the OLine pretty well, outside of Cosmi we have no idea what we have coming back. Kerstetter has never played a full season at C, Angilau should be better, but is he going to be a Top 15 type conference OL? Then you have unknowns at the other guard and tackle position. There are no glaring holes as you noted, but this isn't a Top 20 OL in the country either. Then again, I also think having a better play caller in Yurcich should help them out.

1) Angilau should improve. People forget he was only a RS FR this year and came from a HS system that didn't throw the ball. 

2) Cosmi is ranked as the #5 OL returning next year per PFF. Having an elite tackle goes a long ways in having a dominant OL. 

3) Kerstetter should be an upgrade at center over Shack if that's the move the staff wants to make. Shack was a liability at times. 

4) I think the OL has top 20 potential next year dependent on adding a grad transfer. PFF had this year's OL ranked #29 so not that far off from the top 20. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Warning, kool-aid coming: I think it was Howe a couple weeks ago said that there were extremely positive reports about the snaps Tyler was getting in the week of practice before the bowl game.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Warning, kool-aid coming: I think it was Howe a couple weeks ago said that there were extremely positive reports about the snaps Tyler was getting in the week of practice before the bowl game.

38 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

IT said the same

Was Tyler Johnson at RT during these practices? That would be most ideal.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Was Tyler Johnson at RT during these practices? That would be most ideal.

I think they're talking about Willie Tyler - the Iowa JUCO kid they recruited late in the 2019 class. Kid was definitely a project, but I know the staff felt like all of the physical traits were there. The good news is that I'm pretty sure I remember that reading Tyler Johnson has also been solid.  Kool-Aid for everyone.

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I have my reservations about Hand right now. The pieces are there for a good but not dominating OL. Grandy and Hudson having to medical hurts, as does losing an athletic OT prospect like Shepherd. The problem is Texas hasn't really been recruiting lights out at the position. There needs to be more guys like Angilau and Johnson. Those guys are high 4 stars. Outside of those 2, you have a bunch of projects. For every Kerstetter and Cosmi you have Okafor and Imade. 

I know this doesn't belong on this thread, but whatever. Since you have issues with Herb Hand why are you bringing up Hands supposed lack of recruiting ability with Okafor and Imade???? They both committed  and signed when Charlie Strong was head coach. Also, Kerstetter and Cosmi signed when Warehime was offensive line coach. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I know this doesn't belong on this thread, but whatever. Since you have issues with Herb Hand why are you bringing up Hands supposed lack of recruiting ability with Okafor and Imade???? They both committed  and signed when Charlie Strong was head coach. Also, Kerstetter and Cosmi signed when Warehime was offensive line coach. 

Pointing out HtownHorn’s persistent dipshittery has a place on every thread, my son. Now go forth and continue your good work with our blessing.