Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He showed improvement over the course of the year which is big. He also didn't need to rely on scheme/continuously sending blitzes to try and confuse the QB.

But for next year we lose our only bona-fide edge rusher, Joseph Ossai. His job will get harder, you have to get pressure on the QB in the Big 12.

I think we get much more pressure up the middle next year with Collins, Sweat, Coburn & Ojomo, not to mention Broughton & Goram-Welch.   Heavy duty pressure up the middle should make life easier on the edge.  Also, I'm hopeful we have more than one linebacker next year who's worth a damn (and that guy was a converted safety).  Ash shows lots of promise - definitely enough to be a strong candidate to stick as DC under Sark.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

At this point they should have Co OC and DCs just to get those guys more money

No co-anythings. We tried that with Harsin/Applewhite. I want one guy at the top of the offense, for example, and he and  everyone else knows who fucked up if things fall apart. I don't want him finger pointing, no petty squabbles, jealousies. I want him working his ass off. And sure as hell no sharing of play-calling duties unless it's with Sark.

1 minute ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I think we get much more pressure up the middle next year with Collins, Sweat, Coburn & Ojomo, not to mention Broughton & Goram-Welch.   Heavy duty pressure up the middle should make life easier on the edge.  Also, I'm hopeful we have more than one linebacker next year who's worth a damn (and that guy was a converted safety).  Ash shows lots of promise - definitely enough to be a strong candidate to stick as DC under Sark.

Speaking of this, I am very happy the Yancy will be gone, DL was carrying way too much weight to generate legit pass rush

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

I mean, the kids may have learned well from the previous coach. You won't know until most of the players are the new coach's recruits.

I think we can be pretty confident this is not the case. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

No co-anythings. We tried that with Harsin/Applewhite. I want one guy at the top of the offense, for example, and he and  everyone else knows who fucked up if things fall apart. I don't want him finger pointing, no petty squabbles, jealousies. I want him working his ass off. And sure as hell no sharing of play-calling duties unless it's with Sark.

You’re confusing titles with roles. No one’s wanting multiple guys to try to run the offense. It’s Sark’s offense, and he will be calling plays. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

IT said so as well, probably nothing 100% official till the 12th but basically locked in place

I think the NFL guys could be locked into place if he goes that route. As well as other who aren’t coaching at Bama.

It’s imperative that those guys get signed ASAP so they can hit the trails recruiting. Waiting another week is just putting the new staff one week behind. 

imo he will want them by the end of this week signed and already working recruiting, current player evaluations, and etc. so when Jan 12 comes sark and whomever he brings from Alabama can hit the ground running. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

It’s literally just a title to justify higher pay. Look for Co-OC’s on offense as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think the NFL guys could be locked into place if he goes that route. As well as other who aren’t coaching at Bama.

It’s imperative that those guys get signed ASAP so they can hit the trails recruiting. Waiting another week is just putting the new staff one week behind. 

imo he will want them by the end of this week signed and already working recruiting, current player evaluations, and etc. so when Jan 12 comes sark and whomever he brings from Alabama can hit the ground running. 

This.

When does the 1 yr free transfer window open up?  I think that is much more important than signing day 2 for us.  So depending on when that opens up, not sure 1 week makes that much of a difference.  If it takes an extra week in order for Sark to get the title game behind him and get the right staff in place, then I'd prefer he take his time instead of rushing honestly.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wonder if he delays completely filling out his coaching staff to let Carrington hit the road like Herman did? 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Probably correct.  I know overall Orlando was a bust, but he does do some things well. I just know a lot of times coaches get off to a great start and then things start to crumble in year 2 or 3 etc. Goes for head coaches and assistants. There's also the opposite, where it takes time to make the transition and then things takeoff after a few years.

I do think Ash has the right idea on how to attack. We just need to see if he can get them to execute it well enough on a consistent basis. Also, need to see if he can adjust to the adjustments the rest of the league is going to make over the offseason.

Curious, is Ash who you want at DC? I'm not opposed to it, but still in a holding pattern until I know all the legit candidates.

Cross-posting this from the recruiting board because I thought this was an interesting name that I hadn't heard mentioned.  Roach offers up this name for OL coach if Flood doesn't make the trip west:

Adrian Klemm, Pittsburgh Steelers

Klemm is a name I heard today as one to keep an eye on. He’s currently with the Steelers in the NFL, but the former Pac-12 recruiter of the year has legitimate chops as a recruiter and coach. After playing at Hawaii under June Jones, Klemm won three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots and finishing his career with the Packers. Klemm went right into coaching in 2008 as a member of Jones’ SMU squad. Following two years with the Mustangs, Klemm joined UCLA’s staff under Jim Mora Jr. Klemm did get into some trouble at UCLA and was hit with a two year show-cause in 2016 for “arranging training services and housing for two recruits.” The show-cause will be a hurdle, but Klemm is a name to keep an eye on.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re confusing titles with roles. No one’s wanting multiple guys to try to run the offense. It’s Sark’s offense, and he will be calling plays. 

So you think Sark will call the plays from the sidelines?

2 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

Probably correct.  I know overall Orlando was a bust, but he does do some things well. I just know a lot of times coaches get off to a great start and then things start to crumble in year 2 or 3 etc. Goes for head coaches and assistants. There's also the opposite, where it takes time to make the transition and then things takeoff after a few years.

I do think Ash has the right idea on how to attack. We just need to see if he can get them to execute it well enough on a consistent basis. Also, need to see if he can adjust to the adjustments the rest of the league is going to make over the offseason.

Curious, is Ash who you want at DC? I'm not opposed to it, but still in a holding pattern until I know all the legit candidates.

I wouldn’t mind keeping him. I liked the staff Muschamp was potentially bringing with him better, but I’d have to know who else Sark is considering. I do think Ash sets a good floor for the DC position, but there’s also some interesting DCs available. Mason, Dan Quinn, Odom could probably be poached, Marcus Freeman, Kris Richard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Tom Herman’s initial staff was a fucking joke that all of us openly laughed at from the beginning.  The early indications are that Sark is not trying to make that same mistake. 

Strong's was, too.

Shawn Fucking Watson...

I wouldn’t mind keeping him. I liked the staff Muschamp was potentially bringing with him better, but I’d have to know who else Sark is considering. I do think Ash sets a good floor for the DC position, but there’s also some interesting DCs available. Mason, Dan Quinn, Odom could probably be poached, Marcus Freeman, Kris Richard.

Sark isn’t bringing Dan Quinn

59 minutes ago, Somnio said:

From Wikipedia on Boom:

In announcing the move, the University of Texas noted, "Muschamp's Longhorn defense is leading the Big 12 in rushing defense (82.5 ypg/25th NCAA) and scoring defense (19.5 ppg/25th NCAA). UT ranks second nationally with four sacks per game. The Horns have held all of their Big 12 opponents below their season scoring average and limited six foes to 14 points or less."[20]

So best defense in the conference, is that good? That seems good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Richard is an interesting name I hadn't seen before. Would rather have Ash as DC since Richard's never been a college DC, but he seems to be unemployed now, wonder if he'd come as CB coach. I don't think Quinn is an option.

I'm Ash, Muschamp, or Odom. Maybe Freeman. No reason to look beyond that with Ash already on staff.

Separately - if he goes to Jax, what are the chances Urban brings Drayton with him to the NFL?

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Richard is an interesting name I hadn't seen before. Would rather have Ash as DC since Richard's never been a college DC, but he seems to be unemployed now, wonder if he'd come as CB coach. I don't think Quinn is an option.

I'm Ash, Muschamp, or Odom. Maybe Freeman. No reason to look beyond that with Ash already on staff.

Separately - if he goes to Jax, what are the chances Urban brings Drayton with him to the NFL?

Either IT or someone else reported that Drayton turned down NFL offers last year and that he has a personal (family?) connection to Austin that he'd probably want to stick around for.

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Cross-posting this from the recruiting board because I thought this was an interesting name that I hadn't heard mentioned.  Roach offers up this name for OL coach if Flood doesn't make the trip west:

The 3 names mentioned so far for OL ( Flood, Klemm, and Brad Davis) would be a huge upgrade at the position.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The contrarian take on Muschamp is that he hasn't done anything notable in the defensive department for a few years. His South Carolina defenses were not great, and his Auburn defense was alright. I'd be happy to have him back but I understand that we might have something good in Ash. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah, that could be a possibility.  He had success with the Bears when he was in NFL the first time.  And, I don't get the impression that he loves investing a bunch of time in recruiting.  I'd honestly be ok if that happened.  Might be best for all involved.  We could bring in a rainmaker at RB coach, and the team couldn't get mad because we didn't fire Drayton, he went to the league.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This would be BDE

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I could also see Urban bringing Ash with him to the NFL since he has spoken so positively about Ash in the past

3 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I could also see Urban bringing Ash with him to the NFL since he has spoken so positively about Ash in the past

Ash needs to have better athletes than the other team and just focuses on playing good solid fundamental football.  He isn't up to par with his scheme.  He's ok in college because most offensive teams beat themselves and can't put together long drives.  But he'd get eaten alive in the NFL IMHO.

Man, I know these names are just being thrown out.  But imagine a staff with the Steelers OL coach, Lupoi, Tee Martin, Bo Davis.  All of those guys have a show clause.  If there was a big way to announce to the college football world that Texas is going to play the game, this would be the way to do it haha.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2