Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

SIAP - Roach article on Coleman sticking around:

Spoiler

— As Horns247 reported over the weekend and again this morning in The Stampede, we were hearing more buzz that Andre Coleman would be retained on the Texas staff. That seems all but official following Brian Davis’s report in the Austin American-Statesman today. News started to leak out over the weekend and multiple prospects I spoke with at Pylon 7v7 mentioned they were told Coleman would remain as the wide receivers coach.

— While Casey Cain, Keithron Lee and Jaden Alexis are three interesting prospects with the tools to develop long-term contributors, the Longhorns simply must do better in 2022. That task might be easier under Steve Sarkisian. As I reported last week, Tom Herman took total control over wide receiver recruiting during his time in Austin and was overbearing on who Texas pursued. We heard this was the case with Drew Mehringer and Corby Meekins and it also seems it was the case with Coleman. A source I spoke with said that Coleman had a difficult time getting receivers approved for offers and the delay from Texas caused the Longhorns to lose out on some targets. It was so bad that I was told Coleman felt defeated before even bringing a guy to the table late in the year. I was told by someone who spoke with Coleman that there is a renewed sense of energy there as he regroups and tries to get Texas on track for 2022.

— Before the buzz picked up on Coleman I spent time talking to receivers about their relationship with him. From what I got, things were generally positive and kids like him. Four-star receivers Tyler Morris, CJ Williams, Kevin Coleman and Armani Winfield all told me they liked Coleman and wouldn’t mind if he stayed around. Outside of COVID-19 and with less of the reported meddling, we expect better results.

— I’ve also heard that Coleman was well-liked by the receivers on staff which will provide important continuity on offense. I also think recruiting might be easier due to the scheme. While Herman preferred recruiting giants and limited the passing game to an extent, we expect those to look more favorably on Sarkisian’s offense. If there is success it will likely recruit itself a bit.

— We will see if there is a philosophical change in evaluations over the next month or two. I expect to see Texas get aggressive with targets and I’ll be looking deeper into the common traits between those prospects to get an idea of what they might be looking for. The handcuffs will be off for Coleman, so he should have no excuses moving forward.

Edited by Dummy
  • Hook 'Em 2

See aggy.   THIS is how you siphon attention and become part of the conversation during the championship game when you aren’t playing in it.  It helps to be historical player on the big stage, though.  It has to kill them that they were thiiiis close to the CFP and haven’t even been mentioned tonight.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Oh I would. You don’t think I would fuck this offense? I would destroy this offense. I would rock this offenses world for the 15 or so seconds that I lasted. I want to make sweet sweet monkey love to this offense 

That's going to make for a really awkward huddle situation. #bemyeyesdawg #metoo 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

Sark is looking to be the best coach we've had since Royal. Everybody is going to be watching Texas this off season. Oklahoma is probably saying to itself "Shit. We shoulda let Herman beat us this year." The Red River shootout is going back to the old days when it REALLY meant something. Hope they can finally get away from those fucking 11AM start times.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Dummy said:

SIAP - Roach article on Coleman sticking around:

Hide contents

— As Horns247 reported over the weekend and again this morning in The Stampede, we were hearing more buzz that Andre Coleman would be retained on the Texas staff. That seems all but official following Brian Davis’s report in the Austin American-Statesman today. News started to leak out over the weekend and multiple prospects I spoke with at Pylon 7v7 mentioned they were told Coleman would remain as the wide receivers coach.

— While Casey Cain, Keithron Lee and Jaden Alexis are three interesting prospects with the tools to develop long-term contributors, the Longhorns simply must do better in 2022. That task might be easier under Steve Sarkisian. As I reported last week, Tom Herman took total control over wide receiver recruiting during his time in Austin and was overbearing on who Texas pursued. We heard this was the case with Drew Mehringer and Corby Meekins and it also seems it was the case with Coleman. A source I spoke with said that Coleman had a difficult time getting receivers approved for offers and the delay from Texas caused the Longhorns to lose out on some targets. It was so bad that I was told Coleman felt defeated before even bringing a guy to the table late in the year. I was told by someone who spoke with Coleman that there is a renewed sense of energy there as he regroups and tries to get Texas on track for 2022.

— Before the buzz picked up on Coleman I spent time talking to receivers about their relationship with him. From what I got, things were generally positive and kids like him. Four-star receivers Tyler Morris, CJ Williams, Kevin Coleman and Armani Winfield all told me they liked Coleman and wouldn’t mind if he stayed around. Outside of COVID-19 and with less of the reported meddling, we expect better results.

— I’ve also heard that Coleman was well-liked by the receivers on staff which will provide important continuity on offense. I also think recruiting might be easier due to the scheme. While Herman preferred recruiting giants and limited the passing game to an extent, we expect those to look more favorably on Sarkisian’s offense. If there is success it will likely recruit itself a bit.

— We will see if there is a philosophical change in evaluations over the next month or two. I expect to see Texas get aggressive with targets and I’ll be looking deeper into the common traits between those prospects to get an idea of what they might be looking for. The handcuffs will be off for Coleman, so he should have no excuses moving forward.

Fuck all this. Dude failed this year. Break ties and let’s go get a big fish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So who is going to the airport to see who gets off the plane later tonight?
I live only 10 minutes from the airport but:

1. I wouldn't know where to go to even see.

2. I don't have good binoculars (or field glasses) nor a camera with a telephoto lens.

3. I'd need a picture primer to even identify most of the options.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

If Coleman is the sole wr coach yikes. If he’s a TE/inside receivers coach and we have a legit Wr coach as well then I’m okay with retaining him. 

Still not worth it but would be better than the alternative

Jeff Howe article about the Staff (posted around game time) - Pretty much everything we know, but all but confirms Coleman as WR coach.

Spoiler

As new Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian conducts his final business as Alabama’s offensive coordinator by coaching in Monday’s College Football Playoff National Championship, the following is a rundown of what the Horns247 staff has gathered as of Monday evening as it relates to Sarkisian’s tenure on the Forty Acres, which begins in earnest Tuesday (including a scheduled 4 p.m. introductory press conference):

— The defensive coordinator search has seen names fall by the wayside each day since Notre Dame hired Marcus Freeman away from Cincinnati, which has led to the speculation that Sarkisian’s pick could be current Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding. In addition to Golding’s obvious tie to Sarkisian, he coached with Bo Davis at UTSA in 2017 before moving on to the Crimson Tide.

— Leading up to the CFP title game, sources on the Alabama side and sources close to Golding have told Horns247 everything has been quiet regarding movement with Golding. With Sarkisian expected to fly straight to Austin from Miami after the game with the Longhorn coaches scheduled to hit the ground running Tuesday morning with meetings regarding all aspects of the program, including recruiting, if it’s Golding it won’t be too much longer before the silence ends.

— The same can be said for Alabama tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks. While sources on the Alabama side have said it’s expected Banks will stay with the Crimson Tide, our sources continue to say Banks has a job on Sarkisian’s staff if he wants it and that he hasn’t made a final decision on his future.

— Going back to the defensive coordinator search, Dan Quinn is the second name among the names on Sarkisian’s initial shortlist we mentioned in last Thursday’s edition of The Insider to head elsewhere. Quinn, who most recently was the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and employed Sarkisian as his offensive coordinator in 2017 and 2018, agreed to a multi-year contract to run the defense for the Dallas Cowboys.

— Who’s left from the shortlist? There’s Mississippi State’s Zach Arnett, who we didn’t eliminate as a potential defensive coordinator candidate over the weekend based on what we heard in the days after Sarkisian’s hiring. With that said, we’ve yet to confirm the interest is anything more than just that — interest. Arnett has been a name to watch, but there appear to be other candidates higher above him in the pecking order.

— The only name from the shortlist left on the market is Tom Herman’s defensive coordinator in 2020, Chris Ash. We’ve yet to be told explicitly that Ash won’t be retained with sources only implying Ash’s departure will happen upon the revelation that Jay Valai won’t be back for a second season coaching cornerbacks on the Forty Acres.

— Speaking of the Valai news, the move to not retain him was expected with the hirings of Blake Gideon and Terry Joseph. While roles for the defensive staff have yet to be announced, multiple sources have told us that Joseph is expected to coach cornerbacks with Gideon expected to coach safeties.

— As of Sunday night, we were told there have been substantial conversations between Tosh Lupoi and Texas. There’s an opening in Austin for the former Sarkisian assistant coach who spent the 2020 season as the defensive line coach and run game coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons if he wants it. With that said, we were told that Lupoi’s offer isn’t expected to include defensive play-calling duties. Multiple sources have told Horns247 that Lupoi wants to come back to the college game as a coordinator and play-caller to get back on track toward being a head coach.

— Andre Coleman is joining Stan Drayton as members of Herman’s on-field staff to be retained by Sarkisian. When we reported Saturday afternoon that multiple sources were telling us it looked the chances of Coleman getting retained were improving, it coincided with news coming from Oklahoma sources that Sarkisian’s run at Dennis Simmons gave the wide receivers coach of the Sooners a lot to think about (including at least a raise of $200,000 according to sources), but the decision to remain in Norman came down to Simmons’ relationship with Lincoln Riley proving strong enough to fend off an impressive offer from the Longhorns.

— With Coleman getting retained, this is what Sarkisian’s staff is expected to look like as of the close of business Monday, based on what our sources have said (for what it’s worth, Sarkisian will call his own plays on offense), with three positions lacking expected hires: A.J. Milwee (quarterbacks), Drayton (running backs), Coleman (wide receivers), Kyle Flood (offensive line), Bo Davis (defensive line), Joseph (defensive pass game coordinator/cornerbacks) and Gideon (safeties).

— A lot of folks have asked about the likes of Derek Chang and Bryan Carrington who work in the recruiting department and what their futures hold. Given what Patrick Suddes did in the transition from Mack Brown’s tenure to Charlie Strong and what Mike Giglio was planning to do to help Herman during that transition (Giglio left when Strong took the USF job), the people in those roles are typically the last to find out their fate. It’s the nature of the job to continue to work until told otherwise given the nature of recruiting.

— It’s expected, however, that few if any members of Herman’s support staff (football operations, etc.) will be retained by Sarkisian.

— A source told us over the weekend that they do believe Sarkisian will split the duties when it comes to leading the strength program. This is a similar approach to what Alabama has done when Nick Saban hired David Ballou and Dr. Matt Rhea from Indiana to replace Scott Cochran when he took an on-field coaching role on Kirby Smart’s Georgia staff. As for who will be working alongside Cal’s Torre Becton on the Forty Acres, we’ve heard one specific name mentioned for the role, but we haven’t been able to confirm interest on the part of Texas in that specific candidate.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, b_p said:

Fuck all this. Dude failed this year. Break ties and let’s go get a big fish. 

We took our shot at both Wiggins and Simmons and came up empty. I am ok with giving Coleman another shot if that report about Herman micromanaging WR offers is to be believed. If he sucks this year, put me on the Rashad Samples bandwagon.

I'm a bit surprised nothing has started to leak about Golding (if he is in fact our DC hire). You would think right about now is when Bama insiders would be told to leak that shit so they can get the initial shock over with amidst the celebration of the win and then pivot right into a replacement announcement late tonight or early tomorrow. Certainly doesn't mean its 'not' happening, but I was expecting something just like the O'Brien story that got put out there around kickoff. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We took our shot at both Wiggins and Simmons and came up empty. I am ok with giving Coleman another shot if that report about Herman micromanaging WR offers is to be believed. If he sucks this year, put me on the Rashad Samples bandwagon.

You might be right about taking a shot at the best of the best. I’m not sure what’s actually going on behind the scenes, as is it probably everyone. It just sucks for me to think this is the best Sark can do given all we’re throwing into this rehire. 

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I'm a bit surprised nothing has started to leak about Golding (if he is in fact our DC hire). You would think right about now is when Bama insiders would be told to leak that shit so they can get the initial shock over with amidst the celebration of the win and then pivot right into a replacement announcement late tonight or early tomorrow. Certainly doesn't mean its 'not' happening, but I was expecting something just like the O'Brien story that got put out there around kickoff. 

It's almost like it's not happening and was never going to happen.

Or it's happening and everyone is just being professional and tight-lipped.

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I understand everyone loves Samples for recruiting but is there a shred of evidence that he can develop WRs on a championship-level team?

Just now, Dijon Robinson said:

I understand everyone loves Samples for recruiting but is there a shred of evidence that he can develop WRs on a championship-level team?

No. There’s absolutely no evidence that Samples is worth a damn as a coach. He’s the “John Chiles should starts” of coaches. 

4 minutes ago, b_p said:

You might be right about taking a shot at the best of the best. I’m not sure what’s actually going on behind the scenes, as is it probably everyone. It just sucks for me to think this is the best Sark can do given all we’re throwing into this rehire. 

Lulz