Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

On 6/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, NorLa Horns said:

Ya know, im on some BS SEC fb group. They were bagging on Texas for rolling out all the exotic cars for recuits last weekend. And then when i pointed out what Bijan and Ewers were driving, they didnt wanna hear it. I asked them about what dealerships were in their respective SEC college cities, they had that stupid Pikachu face. 

Yes, we have 250k cars. Yes we gonna put our players in these cars. No. You can't compete with that. 

Fuck off and take tge loss pussies!

They’re just mad that the free Tahoes and Challengers they’ve given out for decades aren’t gonna cut it anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You can't corporate buzz your way out of this, Cumsteen. You'd give Kendra Scott the best 90 second ride of her life and then let her buy anything she wanted and place it front and center in your living room or kitchen. And you know it.

Any sane man would factor in wealth among the most desirable characteristics of a woman with a net worth of $500 million. All I can think is, "I can't imagine how much useless shit this broad must own."

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Any sane man would factor in wealth among the most desirable characteristics of a woman with a net worth of $500 million. All I can think is, "I can't imagine how much useless shit this broad must own."

Can't you though? 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Counerpoint, at least Kendra Scott can pay for her own trash. 

55 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Why is that a factor though?  99% of surliers wouldn't get the time of day from Kendra Scott....then the 1% that she would give the time of day to would totally have blown it after her 45 seconds in heaven experience with them.  You ain't getting any child support for sleeping with her? That 500 mill is inconsequential to the process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don't go there, Elton. Don't brie the cheese silliness back.

On the recruiting end, Saina is a straight up loss to Riley and USC. Dude is scared of competing with a full OL roster. Sucks, but that's not exactly a great sign.

They're going to push multiple DLs here shortly so they can have depth chart clarity. 

I still expect a string of announcements starting soon.

Kendra Scott divorce announcement about to drop?

Here's something startling. 

- Among the Composite Top-50 OTs listed on 247, 10 are from the state of Texas.   8 of them are overall Top-247.

- Have we seriously pursued ANY of them? I don't think we'll get even one of them.

- As long as Flood gets the guys he wants - hopefully including some elite Baker/Calhoun types - this doesn't bother me.  And of course some recruits may have made it clear early on that they were not interested in Texas.  And yet, not being very interested in any of the 10 Texas OTs listed in the Top 50 is surprising.

*****************************************************************************************************

Name Pos Ranking/Overall Ranking

Blake Ivy 7/110

Michael Uini 8/127

Bennett Warren 9/145

Blake Frazier 14/149

Weston Davis 15/187

Ashton Funk 17/197

Max Anderson 18/201

Ellis Davis 22/223

Tobias Steppes 35/487

Ory Williams 37/533

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On the recruiting end, Saina is a straight up loss to Riley and USC. Dude is scared of competing with a full OL roster. Sucks, but that's not exactly a great sign.

They're going to push multiple DLs here shortly so they can have depth chart clarity. 

Enough Kendra Scott bullshit...she's rich as hell and everyone would do her in two seconds.

Very gouda hear we can expect some action soon.

And, f USC/Riley...and Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Among the Composite Top-50 OTs listed on 247, 10 are from the state of Texas.   8 of them are overall Top-247.

- Have we seriously pursued ANY of them? I don't think we'll get even one of them.

- As long as Flood gets the guys he wants - hopefully including some elite Baker/Calhoun types - this doesn't bother me.  And of course some recruits may have made it clear early on that they were not interested in Texas.  And yet, not being very interested in any of the 10 Texas OTs listed in the Top 50 is surprising.

*****************************************************************************************************

Blake Ivy 7/110

Michael Uini 8/127

Bennett Warren 9/145

Blake Frazier 14/149

Weston Davis 15/187

Ashton Funk 17/197

Max Anderson 18/201

Ellis Davis 22/223

Tobias Steppes 35/487

Ory Williams 37/533

Blake Ivy 7/110 - This dude is listed as an interior player by On3. Good player regardless.

Michael Uini 8/127 - Rating propped up by ESPN

Bennett Warren 9/145 -Rating propped up by ESPN

Blake Frazier 14/149 - Michigan legacy

Weston Davis 15/187 - No clue

Ashton Funk 17/197 - Again, is this dude really a tackle? Rating is propped up by Rivals

Max Anderson 18/201 -Kid was never coming to Texas. Would have been a waste of time.

Ellis Davis 22/223 - Who?

Tobias Steppes 35/487 - Again, Who?

Ory Williams 37/533 - Rueben Owens' cousin. Rating propped up by ....ESPN.

I'm trying to find the tweet but one of the national guys recently mentioned it is a down year across the board at OT. And even in the down years, someone has to occupy the 44th spot in the OT rankings.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always Tuesday.

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Blake Ivy 7/110

Michael Uini 8/127

Bennett Warren 9/145

Blake Frazier 14/149

Weston Davis 15/187

Ashton Funk 17/197

Max Anderson 18/201

Ellis Davis 22/223

Tobias Steppes 35/487

Ory Williams 37/533

You aren't asking the right question. You should be asking "Is Flood better at evaluating OL talent than the recruiting services? And if so, should I give any credence at all to this list of supposedly top 10 OL recruits?

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

You aren't asking the right question. You should be asking "Is Flood better at evaluating OL talent than the recruiting services? And if so, should I give any credence at all to this list of supposedly top 10 OL recruits?

Rating services are behind at this point. Steppes has P5 offers from TCU, Tech, and Cal. Count me in the group of people that is fine not pursuing there.  It is really more about the offers and more importantly the OVs at this point, than the rating. 

Who could commit to Texas next?
Horns247 breaks down a list of potential next-to-commit candidates for the Texas Longhorns after a busy month of recruiting in Austin.

HANK SOUTH

Spoiler

Who could commit to Texas next?
Horns247 breaks down a list of potential next-to-commit candidates for the Texas Longhorns after a busy month of recruiting in Austin.

HANK SOUTH

Texas is enjoying an uptick in recruiting momentum, following over 40 official visits in the month of June. The Longhorns' commitment list has grown to seven members in the last few weeks, with commitments from prospects like Jerrick Gibson, Nate Kibble, Christian Clark, Freddie Dubose, and Santana Wilson.

That won't be the end of things, though, with a number of decisions on the horizon, and Texas trending in the right direction for several of its top targets in the class of 2024.

Here, Horns247 takes a look at candidates that could be next to commit, examining recruitments that could come to an end in the next few weeks.

Parker Livingstone, 4-star WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

Rated the No. 45 wide receiver, No. 294 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings

Crystal Ball: 100 percent to Texas

The longtime Texas wide receiver target will make his decision known on July 1, choosing between the Longhorns, South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, and Texas A&M. Livingstone is coming off an official visit to the Forty Acres over the weekend, a trip he described as “outstanding” with 247Sports’ Mike Roach.

What will go into Livingstone’s final decision?

“Culture, education and coaching staff," he told Roach. "We are looking at playing time, quarterbacks and how many receivers they are taking in my class, how many they took the class before and how many might be leaving for the draft."

Deshawn Warner, 3-star edge, Goodyear (Ariz.) Desert Edge

Rated the No. 45 edge rusher, No. 669 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings

Crystal Ball: 100 percent to Kansas

Another July 1 decision, Warner named Texas his leader following an official visit to Austin earlier this month. The only question that remains is whether the Longhorns are ready to press for the 6-foot-4, 225-pounder. If so, that bodes well for UT’s chances ahead of the weekend. If not, Kansas looks to be in good position after getting Warner to Lawrence last this month, or perhaps even Washington. Another school in contention is Oregon State.

Updated after original publication with Saina announcing plans to commit on June 27

Makai Saina, 4-star IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin 

Rated the No. 24 interior offensive lineman, No. 415 overall prospect, per the 247Sports Composite 

Crystal Ball: No predictions 

It'll likely be Texas or USC for the in-state lineman when he announces his decision on June 27 at 6 p.m. CT. It's not entirely clear which direction its currently heading, but Texas got Saina on campus last, and with Kyle Flood involved it's certainly possible the Longhorns could be the pick. Again, though, it's been quiet on the Saina front so it's not a sure thing. Horns247's Hudson Standish will have more on Saina later on Tuesday. 

Jordan Washington, 3-star TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

Rated the No. 29 tight end in the country, per 247Sports

It’ll be a July 4th celebration in the Washington household as the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder will announce his college decision. The finalists include Texas, Arizona State, Texas A&M, and UTSA. Washington canceled an official visit to Alabama following his official visit to Austin earlier this month. It could come down to the Longhorns or Aggies, but it’s Texas that is trending ahead of next week.

Aeryn Hampton, 4-star ATH, Daingerfield (Texas)

Rated the No. 9 athlete and the No. 131 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Crystal Ball: 66.7 percent to Alabama, 16.7 percent to Texas, 16.7 percent to UTSA

Want a little mystery recruitment ahead of July 7th? Look no further than Aeryn Hampton. There seems to be confidence on both the Alabama and Texas sides after he visited his top two schools back-to-back in the month of June. A one-time Longhorns commit, Alabama has been trending since Hampton reopened his recruitment, but Texas has pulled closer down the stretch. The Longhorns are recruiting Hampton on either side of the ball, whereas Alabama is looking at the in-state prospect as a receiver. This one still has some potential ebbs and flows ahead of next week.

Malik Blocton, 4-star DL, Pike Road (Ala.)

Rated the No. 44 defensive lineman, No. 424 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Crystal Ball: 100 percent to Auburn

Blocton is down to Auburn and Texas with a July 8th decision date set. The Alabama native made his way to Austin for an official visit earlier this month. One source close to the 6-foot-2.5, 268-pounder said the trip “couldn’t have gone better.” Now, proximity and familiarity obviously favors the Tigers. Blocton’s older brother also plays for Auburn, something he says doesn’t factor into his decision. The Longhorns have at the very least made this interesting and not as much of a home run to the Plains that people may think.

Melvin Hills, 3-star DL, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy

Rated the No. 64 defensive lineman, No. 669 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Hills will announce his decision on July 15 and the Longhorns look to be in the best spot, contending with Auburn and Ole Miss for the Bayou State native. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has UT in good standing, plus the fact that the Longhorns have other Louisiana prospects on the roster.

Jayden Jackson, 4-star DL, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

Rated the No. 43 defensive lineman and the No. 420 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Crystal Ball: No predictions

Jackson took a four-stop round of visits in June that culminated in a visit to Austin this past weekend. Other officials were Florida, Ohio State, and Miami. Jackson told Horns247 the trip to Austin “just felt right.”

“We're at a loss for words, there is the saying save the best for last and it was definitely close to that,” Jackson said.

A decision could be made sooner rather than later for the 6-foot-2, 300-pounder.

Daniel Cruz, 4-star IOL, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland

Rated the No. 13 interior offensive lineman and the No. 226 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Texas got the ball rolling on its offensive line haul in 2024 with the addition of Nate Kibble on Sunday evening. Cruz seems like the most probable candidate along the offensive line to join the class next. The chief competition is Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma, but the Longhorns still appear to be the team to beat coming off Cruz’s slate of visits.

Corian Gipson, 4-star CB, Lancaster (Texas)

Rated the No. 8 cornerback, No. 66 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Crystal Ball: 100 percent to Clemson

A recruitment that is likely much closer than what the Crystal Ball might suggest. The Longhorns weathered the storm of an early June official visit to Clemson that saw the Tigers go on a big run of commits. Gipson was not one of those pledges. He followed up with trips to TCU, Ohio State, and Texas this past weekend. The UT staff has been pressing hard to add Gipson with Terry Joseph, Blake Gideon and Steve Sarkisian all heavily involved. A decision is likely to be made in July.

Alex January, 3-star DL, Duncanville (Texas)

Rated the No. 47 defensive lineman, No. 462 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

The Texas legacy officially visited Austin this past weekend after a busy June that included other stops at Texas Tech, LSU, and Florida State. Bo Davis is leading the charge here and has the Longhorns in prime position to land the in-state standout.

Kobe Black, 5-star CB, Waco (Texas) Connally

Rated the No. 3 cornerback, No. 23 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Another top defensive back target, Black took his official visit to Texas this past weekend and, as Horns247 has reported, has his former teammate Jelani McDonald and Tre Wisner in his ear. There’s an Alabama official visit on the calendar for October. Will he make it to that date without a commitment? We’ll see, but Texas looks to be in good standing at present time.

Colin Simmons, 5-star edge, Duncanville (Texas)

Rated the No. 1 edge rusher, No. 6 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite

Crystal Ball: 50 percent to Texas, 50 percent to LSU

Simmons could very well take his recruitment all the way to December, but there’s been more positive buzz in the Longhorns’ corner of late. When we caught up with Simmons after his official visit Texas, he declined to go in-depth on the trip, but did offer a simple “Hook ‘em” to recap his stay in Austin. LSU, Miami, and plenty of others would love to add Simmons to their roster. Texas will continue its press and try to keep him home.

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody upthread mentioned how "we'll see if Sark's 3-star specials turn out to succeed at a better rate than any of his predecessors"  or something similar. Here's what's different about nowadays: there's just so much more information available to the coaches now. Mack would see somebody in one of his camps and offer based on that. Now there's a whole apparatus whose job it is to sift though data, to make phone calls about players, to talk to coaches, to research their personalities, to watch them in camp videos and then to break those videos down analytically etc ... I bet we'll see that, percentagewise, a great many of Sark's 3-star specials turn out to be diamonds.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

You should be asking "Is Flood better at evaluating OL talent than the recruiting services?

- I didn't ask that question because I don't have that question - I do believe Flood is better at evaluating talent.  I made that clear ("As long as Flood gets the guys he wants - hopefully including some elite Baker/Calhoun types - this doesn't bother me. ")

- But these things aren't binary.  Just because I trust Flood's evals does not mean I give NO credence to ANY service/analyst, or that I don't take notice when he doesn't seem to be targeting such a large number of top-50 OLs from Texas.

If he lands his top targets, it's all good.  We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Goddamnit dude. We just finished with that bullshit and you're going to stir it back up again. 

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I was catching up on the thread and that is all I saw going on, I did not think it was over.

Yeah, we are back to talking about our muenster recruiting weekend 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Somebody upthread mentioned how "we'll see if Sark's 3-star specials turn out to succeed at a better rate than any of his predecessors"  or something similar. Here's what's different about nowadays: there's just so much more information available to the coaches now. Mack would see somebody in one of his camps and offer based on that. Now there's a whole apparatus whose job it is to sift though data, to make phone calls about players, to talk to coaches, to research their personalities, to watch them in camp videos and then to break those videos down analytically etc ... I bet we'll see that, percentagewise, a great many of Sark's 3-star specials turn out to be diamonds.

I would also argue the recruiting services are worse on their evals/rankings.

I don't know if it's sheer volume, emphasis placed on camps, laziness, the number of jock sniffing dorks that know Jack about football anyway, or the stupid arbitrary manner some of them spread their rankings out to make sure there are good players in all states.

Are there fewer under the radar diamonds in the rough? Sure.  But I don't think the Evals by the services are as good as they initially were 15-20 years ago.

34 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Lulz, those guys will be asked to hit the portal if they don't develop. Sarkisian isn't going to keep unproductive players on the roster when he's bringing in 25-30 from the HS and portal every year. This is a new age of college football where kids are being asked to be treated as professionals which includes being told to leave when they don't live up to their end of the bargrin.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls