Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Per TFB so not sure how accurate. Rubell filmed a commitment video to ohio state when he was there and gave them a silent commitment...then he visited Texas and the staff got pissed about it and told him to fuck off. The pick Saturday will be Texas 

So, the coaches got pissed off he took a visit to Texas when he was always going to take a visit to Texas? That's real recruiting.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So, the coaches got pissed off he took a visit to Texas when he was always going to take a visit to Texas? That's real recruiting.

Well that’s what pedos do, they get super jealous 

Edited by utfan87
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The services listed him as an athlete. Everyone, everyone knew he was going to be a WR. This has all been addressed up thread. Sanders and Whittington are good examples to refute the notion, however, as has also been pointed out. 

I have to say I am fan of larger Athletes, Swoopes being the exception (QBs in general). 6'4"+ athlete is someone I take all day everyday, probably with the hope of putting him on defense. I remember Sanders. I hoped he played defense, but I said he is the rare kid that has NFL potential on both sides of the ball.  The 6' and smaller guys, excite me a lot less. JWhitt is a solid player, but he is not a 5 star kid. Odd he was a 5 star, because he does not have that 1 elite physical skill. 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

He did before he had a massive fucking injury every fucking year for 4 straight years.

We can agree to disagree there. I have never seen any freakish athletic ability out of him. I thought his injuries have been soft tissue, perhaps I am off on that. 

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have to say I am fan of larger Athletes, Swoopes being the exception (QBs in general).

Swoopes ended up being an NFL TE so if we hadn’t wasted everyone’s time pretending he could be a college QB he probably would have ended up being a pretty damn good athlete take as well. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have to say I am fan of larger Athletes, Swoopes being the exception (QBs in general). 6'4"+ athlete is someone a take all day everyday. Probably with the hope of putting him on defense. I remember Sanders. I hoped he played defense, but I said he is the rare kid that has NFL potential on both sides of the ball.  The 6' and smaller guy, excites me a lot less. JWhitt is a solid player, but he is not a 5 star kid. Odd he was a 5 star, because he does not have that 1 elite physical skill. 

Hell, everyone wanted the guy at edge. Turns out, he knew he’d be just fine with his choices. I’ll always respect him for sticking with Texas during then Herman/Sarklostagain transition, because he truly could have opted out and gone anywhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

We can agree to disagree there. I have never seen any freakish athletic ability out of him. I thought his injuries have been soft tissue, perhaps I am off on that. 

Im going off the top of my head, but multiple hernia surgeries, a torn meniscus, a broken clavicle. Although I think he had a groin tear that was fucking nightmarish. So yes, soft tissue for some, but they also required surgeries, which requires rehab and prevents momentum and gains on strength and conditioning. Dude was a consensus 5 star and his state championship game was legend. So a lot of people missed on him in HS if you don't think he was a 5 star. I feel like this take is colored by hindsight and actual output, but as you said we can agree to disagree. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Swoopes ended up being an NFL TE so if we hasn’t wasted everyone’s time pretending he could be a college QB he probably would have ended up being a pretty damn good athlete take as well. 

I dont think he ever recorded a stat in the NFL. QB that becomes an athlete, generally means nobody thinks he is a good QB take. The issue with a lot of athletes is they have lacked the proper training and are years behind their peers. The key is to move them immediately to the proper position. Intuitively, it adds risk to their projection. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ohio State’s Texas recruiting has fallen off dramatically and let’s hope it stays that way. 

They’ve got the NFL pitch, which does and should work for some guys. After that, they’re into the phase of depth chart shaming and pressuring for commitment lock-ups. I’m sure they’re doing all of that while Ryan Day is also showing a keen interest in each recruit’s younger siblings, who Day insists on having the recruit bring along for the visit. 

I’d really like to see them fall off some this year while they replace some key guys. Probably just fantasy, given the way they’ve recruited, but at least my fantasies are mostly wholesome, unlike Ryan Day’s, which are likely too grim for public discussion. 

Ryan Day is a pedophile? What is origin of this story?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think he ever recorded a stat in the NFL. QB that becomes an athlete, generally means nobody thinks he is a good QB take. The issue with a lot of athletes is they have lacked the proper training and are years behind their peers. The key is to move them immediately to the proper position. Intuitively, it adds risk to their projection. 

Fat Gare made his bones taking HS QBs and moving them to LB and DB.  Mack Brown fucked our program for a decade trying to do the same thing.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Im going off the top of my head, but multiple hernia surgeries, a torn meniscus, a broken clavicle. So yes, soft tissue for some, but they also required surgeries, which requires rehab and prevents momentum and gains on strength and conditioning. Dude was a consensus 5 star and his state championship game was legend. So a lot of people missed on him in HS if you don't think he was a 5 star. I feel like this take is colored by hindsight and actual output, but as you said we can agree to disagree. 

When he's been healthy he's been nails and one of the toughest motherfuckers around. He's not a 5-star first round NFL draft pick. But he catches the ball and gets tough yardage and I'm happy as fuck he's around for one more year. 

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

Ryan Day (American football) - Wikipedia

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Im going off the top of my head, but multiple hernia surgeries, a torn meniscus, a broken clavicle. So yes, soft tissue for some, but they also required surgeries, which requires rehab and prevents momentum and gains on strength and conditioning. Dude was a consensus 5 star and his state championship game was legend. So a lot of people missed on him in HS if you don't think he was a 5 star. I feel like this take is colored by hindsight and actual output, but as you said we can agree to disagree. 

I think a lot of it was people thought he was a 5 star safety. I think he recently joked to Nahlin "maybe I should have played Safety". He is 6'1" and 205 pounds. Doesnt have elite size at WR. Doesnt have elite athleticism for WR. He is a really good player, but I dont see a 5 star player there. Great attitude (see Blocking) and a good player. 

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think a lot of it was people thought he was a 5 star safety. I think he recently joked to Nahlin "maybe I should have played Safety". He is 6'1" and 205 pounds. Doesnt have elite size at WR. Doesnt have elite athleticism for WR. He is a really good player, but I dont see a 5 star player there. Great attitude (see Blocking) and a good player. 

Again, no one isn't glad we don't have him. But you're saying what you see now, and going back and saying he wasn't a 5 star. But who and what he is now is not what he was in HS when he was ranked. And I always took his safety comment to simply mean if you'd been headhunting instead of going over the middle he probably would have been injured less. It's also pretty easy in retrospect to say "You know what, Tray Allen wasn't a fucking 5 star either." Or Mason fucking Walters. I just don't think it's reasonable to shit all over a player's HS ranking when he's had 4 major fucking injuries when on campus that clearly fuck up development and can rob them of explosiveness. 

Not that this thread hasn't had critique about how ranking services listed athletes, very recently, but he was ranked as the #4 WR coming out of HS, per this:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2022/10/21/23415933/jordan-whittington-texas-longhorns-bevo-injuries-joy#:~:text=Back at wide receiver in,for the next two games.

Four and a half years ago, Whittington was a two-way standout at Cuero and a consensus five-star prospect ranked as the nation’s No. 4 wide receiver, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. On March 13, 2018, Whittington provided Herman a huge pledge, choosing Texas over Florida, Texas A&M, and UCLA, among many others.

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

@SydneyCarton's childhood.

Thankfully for my innocence, we're approximately the same age. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

When he's been healthy he's been nails and one of the toughest motherfuckers around. He's not a 5-star first round NFL draft pick. But he catches the ball and gets tough yardage and I'm happy as fuck he's around for one more year. 

weird-science-anthony-michael-hall.gif

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Take a look at the photo below and then ask yourself why you had to ask the question in the post quoted here. I am fairly certain that Ryan Day is also a mega church youth minister in Columbus in his spare time.

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Again, no one isn't glad we don't have him. But you're saying what you see now, and going back and saying he wasn't a 5 star. But who and what he is now is not what he was in HS when he was ranked. And I always took his safety comment to simply mean if you'd been headhunting instead of going over the middle he probably would have been injured less. It's also pretty easy in retrospect to say "You know what, Tray Allen wasn't a fucking 5 star either." Or Mason fucking Walters. I just don't think it's reasonable to shit all over a player's HS ranking when he's had 4 major fucking injuries when on campus that clearly fuck up development and can rob them of explosiveness. 

Not that this thread hasn't had critique about how ranking services listed athletes, very recently, but he was ranked as the #4 WR coming out of HS. 

I'm with Codaxx on this one. I was surprised that Whittington was a 5 star. Always been happy to have him, but never understood that ranking. 

Regardless, those days are over for Texas. Guys like Owens and Whittington wouldn't be 5 stars today and, they shouldn't be. When Texas signs a 5 star these days, it's going to be earned, in spite of the player signing with Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

he did https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SwooTy00.htm

image.png.33d6eb7a10219983d98a9ae35a856652.png

dude has earned over a million in NFL salary and i believe he is fully vested in the NFL's pension plan

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not that this thread hasn't had critique about how ranking services listed athletes, very recently, but he was ranked as the #4 WR coming out of HS, per this:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2022/10/21/23415933/jordan-whittington-texas-longhorns-bevo-injuries-joy#:~:text=Back at wide receiver in,for the next two games.

I appreciate your passion, but none of this relates to my comments on JWhitt. I said the same thing about Bru McCoy. 5 star OLB, not a 5 star WR. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Take a look at the photo below and then ask yourself why you had to ask the question in the post quoted here. I am fairly certain that Ryan Day is also a mega church youth minister in Columbus in his spare time.

I'm with Codaxx on this one. I was surprised that Whittington was a 5 star. Always been happy to have him, but never understood that ranking. 

Regardless, those days are over for Texas. Guys like Owens and Whittington wouldn't be 5 stars today and, they shouldn't be. When Texas signs a 5 star these days, it's going to be earned, in spite of the player signing with Texas.

I actually understood the Owens 5 star. That is a pretty typical scouting over-reaction. Call it the Mike Mamula affect (think that was 1st round draft pick, that rocketed up the draft due to testing). He had elite testing speed and good size. Film did not back it up. That is scouting crack. 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Per TFB so not sure how accurate. Rubell filmed a commitment video to ohio state when he was there and gave them a silent commitment...then he visited Texas and the staff got pissed about it and told him to fuck off. The pick saturday will be texas 

TFB also had him as locked a done deal to Michigan 18 hours ago, so let's not quite regard them as gospel on this particular recruitment. 

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

he did https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SwooTy00.htm

image.png.33d6eb7a10219983d98a9ae35a856652.png

dude has earned over a million in NFL salary and i believe he is fully vested in the NFL's pension plan

I knew he was on the team for a 1 or 2 years. I didnt realize he made 1 million. He was  good dude. Good for him.

Edited by Codaxx

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

here is his composite recruiting history: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Jordan-Whittington-at-Cuero-161429/RecruitRankHistory/

i think his insane playoff run absolutely bumped him up, which it shouldn't have but did.

finished at #34 in composite, which was the highest he was in the last 12 months before the final rankings. went from #56 on the 1/15 ranikings to #34 on the final rankings 1/31/19 - 247 had him ranked way differently, was outside the top 100 his entire senior season then jumped from #136 11/15/18 to #59 1/31/19

Just now, Codaxx said:

Good for him. I knew he was on the team for a 1 or 2. I didnt realize he made 1 million. He was  good dude. 

yeah, and the pension/healthcare isn't bad either.

was looking to see what he was doing and evidently he was the lowest paid NFL player one year because of bumping back and forth with practice squad

51 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Swoopes ended up being an NFL TE so if we hadn’t wasted everyone’s time pretending he could be a college QB he probably would have ended up being a pretty damn good athlete take as well. 

When he went 2-8 or whatever it was at a 2A high school we knew he wasn’t going to be some great athlete or qb. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I appreciate your passion, but none of this relates to my comments on JWhitt. I said the same thing about Bru McCoy. 5 star OLB, not a 5 star WR. 

I actually understood the Owens 5 star. That is a pretty typical scouting over-reaction. Call it the Mike Mamula affect (think that was 1st round draft pick, that rocketed up the draft due to testing). He had elite testing speed and good size. Film did not back it up. That is scouting crack. 

You normally don't see it late in recruiting rankings cycle. If they're going to overrank a guy on his physical characteristics, it's usually early. Owens got a bump late and some of it was absolutely Texas program people hyping him to people involved with the rankings at the time. The aggies went ballistic and it was entertaining, but they had a point. Owens had never done a thing outside of be big and run fast to warrant that kind of ranking. Mamula is a fine comparison, but that kind of late rise off of the physical stuff alone isn't as common in recruiting.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You normally don't see it late in recruiting rankings cycle. If they're going to overrank a guy on his physical characteristics, it's usually early. Owens got a bump late and some of it was absolutely Texas program people hyping him to people involved with the rankings at the time. The aggies went ballistic and it was entertaining, but they had a point. Owens had never done a thing outside of be big and run fast to warrant that kind of ranking. Mamula is a fine comparison, but that kind of late rise off of the physical stuff alone isn't as common in recruiting.

I agree. I was just saying he profiles to the typical 1st round bust. I do believe he played well at one of the All-Star game and people went gaga over him. "the potential!!!". This reminds me of Gerry talking about OL and Cruz. Basically said the OL rankings are based on frame and some athletic testing numbers, but a guy like Cruz would beat the shit out of a 5 star in a phone booth. Not to get people in a frenzy, but that had Bobby chime in with "Yeah, he is Studdard"

Edited by Codaxx

17 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

When he went 2-8 or whatever it was at a 2A high school we knew he wasn’t going to be some great athlete or qb. 

If Swoopes had went to an actual functioning program, he would’ve been moved to TE a week after showing up on campus, and would have at least been decent there. But our QB situation was so dire that we kept him at a position he had no business playing in college.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I agree. I was just saying he profiles to the typical 1st round bust. I do believe he played well at one of the All-Star game and people went gaga over him. "the potential!!!". This reminds me of Gerry talking about OL and Cruz. Basically said the OL rankings are based on frame and some athletic testing numbers, but a guy like Cruz would beat the shit out of a 5 star in a phone booth 8 days a week. Not to get people in a frenzy, but that had Bobby chime in with "Yeah, he is Studdard"

Cruz has the film to justify the takes they were giving last night..

plus look at the schools that came at him the hardest... 

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

If Swoopes had went to an actual functioning program, he would’ve been moved to TE a week after showing up on campus, and would have at least been decent there. But our QB situation was so dire that we kept him at a position he had no business playing in college.

Thanks to ole butter teeth. Fucking lazy bastard.

Speaking of hilarious, this combo of author and article title is amusing me way, way more than it should have. 

What makes Colin Simmons a transcendent talent

Ian Boyd•about 1 hour

Imagine going to Ian boyd for not only player evaluation, but for an opinion on anything on God's green earth that falls outside the boundaries of "slightly below average" and "slightly above average." I wouldn't trust this motherfucker's evaluation of a glass of milk. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Thiefery said:

Cruz has the film to justify the takes they were giving last night..

plus look at the schools that came at him the hardest... 

brought up Cruz, because he is the opposite of Owens. 5 star film and 3 star body. Rated closer to a 3 star. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Speaking of hilarious, this combo of author and article title is amusing me way, way more than it should have. 

Imagine going to Ian boyd for not only player evaluation, but for an opinion on anything on God's green earth that falls outside the boundaries of "slightly below average" and "slightly above average." I wouldn't trust this motherfucker's evaluation of a glass of milk. 

i thought he wasn't bad when he wrote about scheme stuff years ago.

but he has expanded out of scheme into...everything...IT covers and it is very clear it's not his strong point. player evaluations? come on! doesn't he live in UP Michigan?

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls