Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

On 7/2/2023 at 3:42 PM, closetojumping said:

For Simmons, does he pull the trigger soon? If he doesn’t and visits not Austin at the end of July, you’ll know that this one will remain crazy until the end. 

From the start of the month. Buckle up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Eric Nahlin: Where does Texas stand with its remaining key targets?

I offered a quick reply on this topic in Gerry’s Sunday Intel thread but I wanted to further draw the comment out. I also didn’t want it to be lost for those of you who wisely logged off on Sunday. There are frequent momentum ebbs and flows in recruiting and Texas is viewed by many as currently ebbing, but I don’t feel that way. Fans of recruiting aren’t exactly known for their patience while the Texas staff is. I’m pretty sure I know who has the better process.

Here’s a reminder, recruiting can pick up in a hurry. One lightning bolt of good news can change your entire outlook. That’s why it’s pointless to get too low. Fortunes can also take a turn for the worst, so if you find yourself celebrating Texas’ next recruiting win (yes, there will be another one) a bit too much, keep that in mind.   Here’s where I feel Texas stands with current targets after a number of them took to the road to visit rival schools.

CB Wardell Mack

The New Orleans standout didn’t make his LSU visit but he did return to Florida after taking a June official to The Swamp. That’s not normally a great fact pattern for rival schools, but Texas is still in it. Mack tweeted an hourglass to note time is ticking on a decision but as of Sunday evening he doesn’t have a decision date set as far as I know. My stance on this recruitment is pretty much unchanged. I give the slight edge to Florida but believe this is a two team race. Both Texas and Florida will have to work hard from here on out to get him over the line but the thought is LSU is out.

CB Kobe Black

The Waco Connally five-star was in College Station on Saturday but I still like Texas over the field. I don’t think that visit really moved the needle. Late this evening Inside Texas broke the news that Black visited Texas the day before his visit to College Station. Per Black’s father to Justin Wells, that visit went well. Black’s timeline has been sort of all over the place. He has an official visit scheduled for LSU for September 8. We mentioned months ago this cycle featured a lot of Texas-LSU clashes. This is the second best example.

DT Dominick McKinley and DL TJ Lindsey

These are both difficult recruitments to win. Scarcity drives the market for bigs. Texas will probably make Auburn work for Lindsey but nobody is picking Texas over Auburn at this point given the roll Auburn is on. You could see this Auburn run of recruiting success coming. Lindsey and McKinley are both big time targets but if Lindsey does pick Auburn that raises the ante even more on McKinley. He really likes Todd Bates at OU but Texas is right there. A&M and LSU are obviously pushing too, with LSU hosting him this past weekend. That visit could prove big. LSU had ground to make up and On3’s LSU affiliate feels headway was made. Both Lindsey and McKinley are likely to decide before the season starts. Buckle your chinstraps. Texas really needs to land one of them to complete the expected four-man DL class.

Edge Colin Simmons

This is the one everyone wants to know about but Simmons and his camp, to include people at Duncanville, do a good job of keeping a tight circle. When I upped my prediction from 60-80% I mentioned if he takes late July visits then that was too aggressive. I don’t change my predictions, unless to increase them, but I stand by that statement. As it turns out I should have kept the prediction at 60%. I will say a couple of things. A week or two ago, and weeks after upping my prediction, I made a post stating Simmons was likely to make the visit to LSU. I didn’t mention A&M because my sources were more concerned about the LSU visit and they weren’t sure the Aggie visit would happen. As of Sunday night my sources still felt pretty good about UT’s chances but it’s not like they were overflowing with confidence. You never feel too comfortable when it’s a player of Simmons’ caliber.

Edge Zina Umeozulu

I don’t think he will decide before the season as he’s genuinely torn between UT, OU, and A&M. Barring a change that one is on hold for me.

Edge Danny Okoye

On Sunday afternoon I mistakenly forgot about Okoye’s recent Alabama visit. That trip may have pole vaulted Bama to the top. Texas and others like Tennessee, OU, and LSU probably need him to hold off on a decision and make return visits.

OT Brandon Baker

If it comes down to it, I like Texas going against Ohio State for the Mater Dei tackle more than I do Oregon. The confluence of Sark’s West Coast relationships and Flood’s success as a position coach could win out. With Texas missing on high upside Ory Williams (committed to LSU on Sunday) and likely to miss on Blake Ivy (A&M with the kung fu grip on that one) Baker is entering must-get territory if he wasn’t already there.

S Joshua Lair

I believe he’s a take for Texas but I also think he likes LSU. LSU has invested heavily in DB numbers so I’m not sure if they’ll push down the stretch. Baylor is also hanging around for the headhunter. He wants to decide later in August.

WR Ryan Wingo

The St. Louis receiver was another one who made it to Texas A&M, but again, I didn’t hear anything to make me believe A&M will shake that recruitment up. This is Texas vs. Missouri vs. Tennessee, but the longer it plays out the more new suitors could emerge. I still like Texas as of today. We’ll see if he expedites his decision or sticks to the later timeline.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

So, summarizing the $9.995 quotes in this thread and in Hide Your Money:

1. Most every 5 and 4 star has a tight circle and plays things close to the vest. They may move up their timeline which is good news but the longer they wait that’s good news too.

2. Every school that hosted 5 and 4 stars this weekend opened the recruits’ eyes, displayed a family atmosphere and the recruits got one on one time with the coaching staff. The host school made a lot of headway. The recruits bonded with the other recruits at the Pool Party/BBQ/XYZFest. Confidence is on the rise.

3. The ebb and flow of recruiting is filled with surges that sometimes result in one or a flurry of big time commitments, or a handful is silent commitments, some of which end up committing and some of which don’t (assuming they were ever a silent commitment to begin with). Between the surges are periods of staying in touch with recruits committed elsewhere and remaining confident in other recruitments.

lucy-vanpelt-charlie-brown.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

I know we are not recruiting this player but generally speaking we better never lose out on a recruit to Michigan if this is what they are serving during visits. They must get their food catered from Lincoln Riley.

Looks like they had the kid's menu from Cracker Barrel cater this thing. Holy shit.

2 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

All that hoopla for Jordan Elliot for one year/6 games with 8 tackles.

That was the most overhyped DT class maybe ever.

Jordan Elliot, Andrew Fitzgerald, Chris Daniels, Marcell Southall, D'Andre Christmas Giles, Gerald Wilbon.

I believe every guy ended up transferring or retiring from football early. 

• Rage+1 4

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That was the most overhyped DT class maybe ever.

Jordan Elliot, Andrew Fitzgerald, Chris Daniels, Marcell Southall, D'Andre Christmas Giles, Gerald Wilbon.

I believe every guy ended up transferring or retiring from football early. 

But the cake was baked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wells said Kobe Black's dad told him a commitment date/decision could potentially be within the next few weeks.

Wells also said not much news coming out of the Collins visit to LSU with limited updates coming from LSU side is a big tell. Texas is the team to beat since his OV to Texas and loves where Texas currently sits with him. 

Wells also saying the story with Zina is it will be seeing how much Neto plays that will factor into his recruitment. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 8

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wells said Kobe Black's dad told him a commitment date/decision could potentially be within the next few weeks.

Wells also said not much news coming out of the Collins visit to LSU with limited updates coming from LSU side is a big tell. Texas is the team to beat since his OV to Texas and loves where Texas currently sits with him. 

Wells also saying the story with Zina is it will be seeing how much Neto plays that will factor into his recruitment. 

I know I should care about Lair and Neto, but I just can not muster the ability to do so on either one. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Beat out Oklahoma and Texas A&M for Zina would be crucial and a battle we should win given his brother is on the roster..

Always possible he has made major strides, since last year. I just like the other Edge guys better. I am cool with 5 star drama. Zina is not that type of player.

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Always possible he has made major strides, since last year. I just like the other Edge guys better. I am cool with 5 star drama. Zina is not that type of player.

I would say that losing a recruiting battle where the brother is already on campus is a really bad sign, unless there are some unique circumstances.  Especially at a position of need.  If we lose this one it shows some disfunction similar to when we lost the Brocks because Herman was a fucking disaster.

We better not be factoring in Zina’s recruitment when making offensive line playing time decisions this year.

Dude is a decent prospect with some upside but I hope we aren’t bending backwards to satisfy an edge prospect who has progressively gotten worse over the last 18 months and was a complete non factor for Allen last year. What’s going to happen if Zina comes here and we ask him to redshirt his first year and develop before he sees the field? Is he going to take his ball and go home because he isn’t playing time? 

If the dude wants to be at Texas then let’s do it, but if he’s making his college decision based off how much his redshirt freshman brother plays at a position with pretty strong depth then that’s sad.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I would say that losing a recruiting battle where the brother is already on campus is a really bad sign, unless there are some unique circumstances.  Especially at a position of need.  If we lose this one it shows some disfunction similar to when we lost the Brocks because Herman was a fucking disaster.

lol wut

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's been stated several times that they are eying out whether Neto plays or not. What disfunction do you think there is here? If Neto isn't good enough to start and the kid decides to be petulant about his brothers failure, then so be it. He is good, but he isn't good enough to start insinuating there is disfunction 

Edited by Noozak
  • Hook 'Em 3

If I remember correctly Neto was the one who committed to Texas two days before NSD, then got cold feet 18 hours later and was in talks with Baylor on flipping before his parents had to turn off his cell phone.

What’s the playing time criteria to earn Zina’s commitment? 6 starts for Neto? 100 snaps? 200 snaps? If the benchmark is 200 snaps and Neto plays 198 is Zina pledging to A&M the next day?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

I know we are not recruiting this player but generally speaking we better never lose out on a recruit to Michigan if this is what they are serving during visits. They must get their food catered from Lincoln Riley.

Big House Eats is more appropriate a title than I think he realizes. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Settle down, son.. Williams, Okoye, and Simmons.

On Williams, it isn't clear how hard they'll push for him. I don't think you should hold out a bunch of hope on that one. 

Regarding Okoye, Texas isn't a leader. You shouldn't be very sanguine on that one either.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If I remember correctly Neto was the one who committed to Texas two days before NSD, then got cold feet 18 hours later and was in talks with Baylor on flipping before his parents had to turn off his cell phone.

What’s the playing time criteria to earn Zina’s commitment? 6 starts for Neto? 100 snaps? 200 snaps? If the benchmark is 200 snaps and Neto plays 198 is Zina pledging to A&M the next day?

Neto isn't someone that Texas wants to lose from the roster. He's an eventually solid starter. Is the patience there? We'll see.

Another element to the younger brother's recruitment is associated to how well things continue to go for Neto on the NIL front. The Pancake Factory was a one year thing ending this August. Not everyone is always going to get a trophy, especially when the market for back-up guards in the portal is below, nearly to $0, what a good back-up guard that will eventually be a starter will get at Texas. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I just hope we can finally get Jake Major off the field with Hutson getting center reps.

I would prefer Hutson perform at a level much higher than what he showed last year before I think about him taking other people’s jobs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would prefer Hutson perform at a level much higher than what he showed last year before I think about him taking other people’s jobs.

If he performs better in 2023 with more experience he's already better than Majors who is a liability in what we want to do in the run game.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Why is the "we need bodies" contingent wiping their ass with this thread?

Zina hasn't even been a take the whole cycle, and y'all are pretending he's a need. I bet you thought Max Merrill would pan out, too. 

He is a need because of current roster. We need 2-3 edges in this class.

Simmons, Okoye, Zina, Williams seem to be the 4 targets.

Regarding where things sit for the big time recruits left on the board, this past weekend more than anything should highlight the role of NIL in each recruitment. 

Texas isn't sitting idle. Do you guys think it is a coincidence that Jake Majors is one of the guys getting a Lambo SUV? Do you think that might have been conveyed as one of the big perks of being in Austin to Baker and some of the guys in Texas still in Texas? 

Regarding the comparisons players are making, the aggies and Auburn remain schools that are going to have go way over market to get who they want. Not sure how often either can do that. That said, I expect that Lindsey will get something that Texas isn't interested in countering. I think the only reason he hasn't pulled the trigger for Auburn is that Texas is trying to discern which fork in the road to take.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

lulz

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If he performs better in 2023 with more experience he's already better than Majors who is a liability in what we want to do in the run game.

Would be a nice problem to have considering Hutson was probably the worst OL starter we had last year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would prefer Hutson show competency at guard before discussing him replacing a 3-year starter at center who’s strength is pass pro and we know how much we are about to throw the ball this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Would be a nice problem to have considering Hutson was probably the worst OL starter we had last year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would prefer Hutson show competency at guard before discussing him replacing a 3-year starter at center who’s strength is pass pro and we know how much we are about to throw the ball this year.

I think Conner was worse. Sark has always ran the ball and run game is a big part of what he does on offense in setting up his pass game. 

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes and portal rumors in spring. I am sure there are others, but I feel like only Texas has the luck to find a high maintenance Guard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls