Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So, summarizing the $9.995 quotes in this thread and in Hide Your Money:

1. Most every 5 and 4 star has a tight circle and plays things close to the vest. They may move up their timeline which is good news but the longer they wait that’s good news too.

2. Every school that hosted 5 and 4 stars this weekend opened the recruits’ eyes, displayed a family atmosphere and the recruits got one on one time with the coaching staff. The host school made a lot of headway. The recruits bonded with the other recruits at the Pool Party/BBQ/XYZFest. Confidence is on the rise.

3. The ebb and flow of recruiting is filled with surges that sometimes result in one or a flurry of big time commitments, or a handful is silent commitments, some of which end up committing and some of which don’t (assuming they were ever a silent commitment to begin with). Between the surges are periods of staying in touch with recruits committed elsewhere and remaining confident in other recruitments.

Yes. And no. Schrodinger's recruit. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding where things sit for the big time recruits left on the board, this past weekend more than anything should highlight the role of NIL in each recruitment. 

Texas isn't sitting idle. Do you guys think it is a coincidence that Jake Majors is one of the guys getting a Lambo SUV? Do you think that might have been conveyed as one of the big perks of being in Austin to Baker and some of the guys in Texas still in Texas? 

Regarding the comparisons players are making, the aggies and Auburn remain schools that are going to have go way over market to get who they want. Not sure how often either can do that. That said, I expect that Lindsey will get something that Texas isn't interested in countering. I think the only reason he hasn't pulled the trigger for Auburn is that Texas is trying to discern which fork in the road to take.

Lambo SUV? I didn't even know there was such a thing. I just checked and they are 375k.

I don't understand the handwringing over Zina.  We want him to stay uncommitted as long as possible.  If he's not committed to another program that means we lead still.  It also lets us work through the other uncommitted guys.

His parents won't let him de-commit if Neto's history indicates anything.

27 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I'm not sure why it's so hard for some of you to understand a kid waiting to see if his brother is going to decide to transfer before committing to the same school.

Would you let your sibling dictate a life-altering decisions that impacts you and only you?

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would you let your sibling dictate a life-altering decisions that impacts you and only you?

"Hey, I really like Texas, and my brother is going there and loves it but he might leave. I like these other schools too, and if my brother is transferring maybe i should wait and see if he is going to another school I like."

I get what you're saying but I think very few recruits actually choose what their heart tells them and follows money or production/prestige. Especially if A&M is willing to throw a bag at him for a perceived recruiting win over Texas.

The handwringing over the Umeozulu brothers is so dumb to me. They barely even talk, most of the drama surrounding them is created by this board.

Zina is not a recruitment you should spend any time handwringing about, he will commit to us in the fall or he won’t. He’s not a must get and given what we know about the parents he’s not going to decommit and commit a bunch of times or do a bunch of outlandish stuff. There’s not much to even discuss.

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

That was the most overhyped DT class maybe ever.

Jordan Elliot, Andrew Fitzgerald, Chris Daniels, Marcell Southall, D'Andre Christmas Giles, Gerald Wilbon.

I believe every guy ended up transferring or retiring from football early. 

Most of those guys were 3 stars so if you got hyped that’s on you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Conner was worse. Sark has always ran the ball and run game is a big part of what he does on offense in setting up his pass game. 

Sark has always run the ball. 

Hopefully we run and pass a lot this year. Hopefully our WRs adjust 2-3 feet one direction or another over the course of a 40 yard route and actually catch the ball. Hopefully the QB can pass the ball within 2-3 feet of an open receiver on almost every pass play. 

A famous high school basketball coach once ended a pregame pep talk with: “If we score more points, we win!”

That’s what I’m hoping happens this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Getafix said:

In 96.3% of the instances, it was ... 

Alison Brie Alice Sophia Eve GIF - Alison Brie Alice Sophia Eve Pussy -  Discover & Share GIFs

Holy smokes ... was just flipping through channels ... and on the James Corden show, guess who's on? 

Yep.  Alison Brie.  

Edit: I've never watched one of his shows - at least not in its entirety - and no idea what the fetching Ms. Brie's known for.  Just seen the gif;  charming enunciation and all. 

But think about the coincidence.  And her name is BRIE!!!!!!! 

I think it means we're getting Simmons.

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Holy smokes ... was just flipping through channels ... and on the James Corden show, guess who's on? 

Yep.  Alison Brie.

I think it means we're getting Simmons.

If we don't you should probably be arrested, and not just for watching James Corden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

If we don't you should probably be arrested, and not just for watching James Corden.

🙂  Immediately after posting, I went back and added the disclaimer ... although the Brie chick shredded it on the show.  Seemed like quite the GOAT.

Bobby Burton: Steve Sarkisian's 'never gonna settle' recruiting philosophy

“My job is to field the best football team that I can at the University of Texas that can compete for championships. To do that, you just can’t settle. You go deep sea fishing for those big fish out there. Sometimes it takes a little longer and you’ve got to put in the work.” If I took anything away from the conversation with Steve Sarkisian yesterday, it was his comments above that best explain his recruiting philosophy. And it is further testament to a resolve that has been clear since the day he arrived in Austin.

Texas and Sarkisian have been willing to wait, recruit to the very end, all in hopes of landing the very best. And his plan has worked. Whether that’s because of the coaching carousel, the down season of a major rival, or self-generated momentum, Sark has been patient. He has treated scholarships like they should be, rare commodities he can use to improve his team. There’s no reason to believe his “never settle” strategy won’t work again this campaign either. Texas still has a lot of big fish the staff is fighting for. As long as Sark is the coach, don’t ever expect that to change. He wants to win and he wants to win big.

Gerry Hamilton: Steve Sarkisian sends out official scholarship offers

At 12:01 a.m. Eastern on August 1, the University of Texas could officially offer prospects in the class of 2024. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and staff sent out the offers via video to prospects by text and through social media accounts. The 20-30 second messages include Sarkisian and either the prospects position coach or area recruiter. Four Texas commitments posted the offer videos on social media accounts last night with more to come today.

These video offers are part of the evolution of college football recruiting. In years past, these official offers would be in the form of letters mailed or simple graphics with extended messages. As programs added creative departments to their football staff, the scholarship offers became more and more elaborate. They also became indicative. If a prospect didn’t receive one when coaches were allowed to officially send them out, that said something about the status of their previous verbal offer. Inside Texas will continue to update the offer videos posted by Longhorn commits and other top targets.

Christian Clark, RB, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 260
The decision: Committed to Texas over Oregon, FSU and USC June 22nd.

Aeryn Hampton, ATH, Daingerfield (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 159
The decision: Committed to Texas over Alabama July 7th.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Fort Worth (Texas) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 182
The decision: Committed to Texas over Ohio State, Michigan, TCU and USC July 1st.

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy Fair High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 497
The decision: Committed to Texas over Baylor, Texas Tech and Houston January 11th.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Steve Sarkisian's 'never gonna settle' recruiting philosophy

Gerry Hamilton: Steve Sarkisian sends out official scholarship offers

Sarkisian is beaming like a new mother in that video to Owens. Guess he really sees something in the kid. 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:04 AM, Hookem2147 said:

That was the most overhyped DT class maybe ever.

Jordan Elliot, Andrew Fitzgerald, Chris Daniels, Marcell Southall, D'Andre Christmas Giles, Gerald Wilbon.

I believe every guy ended up transferring or retiring from football early. 

Think we also broke that New Orleans news station's Internet feed for the DCG announcement.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls