Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

VIP quick hits on Texas' pursuit of 5-star CB Kobe Black

Hank South

Spoiler

VIP quick hits on Texas' pursuit of 5-star CB Kobe Black

Hank South

WACO, Texas — Horns247 stopped by Connally High School on Thursday to see five-star cornerback Kobe Black. The 6-foot, 190-pounder is one of the more coveted targets left for the Longhorns staff. Here are some quick takeaways from our time at the Cadets’ program.

— The trip to Austin last Friday went great and Black said he saw how much the staff wanted him, as he was the sole visitor on campus. Black spent time with former teammate and UT freshman Jelani McDonald.

— Black says he's in contact with the Longhorns staff every day and feels comfortable enough with Texas to make that pick, should he choose to commit to the program. 

— Black tells me he’s likely cancelling his scheduled official visit to Alabama in mid-October, and likely calling off any plans to officially visit LSU, which were tentative anyway.

— That leaves Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, and Oklahoma as the main four standing that have received visits this summer, the Aggies most recently over the weekend. However, Black says he isn’t limiting his options to this quartet.

— A decision timeline is still up in the air, but it sounds as though a choice could come during the season, however, Black didn’t rule out a commitment prior to the start of his senior year. Talking to the coaching staff at Connally, the preference on their end is to make a choice prior to the season, however, it’s not a requirement and the staff is not pressuring him to get it done. 

— Black did tell us he’s likely to attend a Texas game (if not more than one) this fall for an unofficial visit.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Over/Under 2.5: Baker, Wingo, Black, Mack, Simmons and McKinley

If it’s not over, we’re not getting the kind of class we need. If we get Simmons, a lot of those other dominoes will start falling our way. 

I’d say if we get Simmons, one of the two CB’s, and Baker, we’re in good shape. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

When’s the last time we won a high profile recruitment where us and another school both thought we were getting the player? Feels like we come out on the losing end of those more often than not.

Arch feels like it counts here between us and Georgia

• Hook 'Em 1

Everything makes sense as far as Texas goes.

- Instant starter.  Can have a Kelvin Banks like impact.

-  Close to home which is important as far as family is concerned.

-   High NiL potential given his ability to brand himself in Austin and Texas.

-  Is friends with all the DFW guys on the team and grew up with them.

-  Gets coached by Bo and PK where as his D-line coach where as LSU is in their 3rd DL coach since Kelly got there.

If we lose this recruitment, not sure what Texas can do.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Arch definitely counts. I’d say Manny Muhammad too. Anthony Cook maybe

I don’t think any of those recruitments had crystal balls going to the other team a week before the announcement.

Malikmas might be the most memorable one. 

Every college staff is confident in their recruiting abilities so I’m not necessarily putting it all on them. I don’t think any staff in the country just stops recruiting a kid because they think he is in the bag. Maybe the way in which our 9.95ers interpret and present things has caused issues.

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Everything makes sense as far as Texas goes.

- Instant starter.  Can have a Kelvin Banks like impact.

-  Close to home which is important as far as family is concerned.

-   High NiL potential given his ability to brand himself in Austin and Texas.

-  Is friends with all the DFW guys on the team and grew up with them.

-  Gets coached by Bo and PK where as his D-line coach where as LSU is in their 3rd DL coach since Kelly got there.

If we lose this recruitment, not sure what Texas can do.

This is such a weird, one-sided point of view. He’s been high on LSU for years, they’re coming off a great first season and they have a history of putting edge rushers in the first round while we haven’t done that in over a decade. It’s not like this is some easy, no-brainer recruitment Texas should win 10 times out of 10. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is such a weird, one-sided point of view. He’s been high on LSU for years, they’re coming off a great first season and they have a history of putting edge rushers in the first round while we haven’t done that in over a decade. It’s not like this is some easy, no-brainer recruitment Texas should win 10 times out of 10. 

Take your ass to tiger droppings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Arch feels like it counts here between us and Georgia

38 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I don't think Georgia was ever particularly confident about getting him.

I remember seeing a reaction video thing about Arch's commitment to Texas and one of the guys, a Georgia guy, saying the commitment wouldn't stick.

Basically saying Georgia would flip Arch.

Yeah, they guy was pissed off at kid's commitment.

And now I can't find the video.

21 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

If it’s not over, we’re not getting the kind of class we need. If we get Simmons, a lot of those other dominoes will start falling our way. 

I’d say if we get Simmons, one of the two CB’s, and Baker, we’re in good shape. 

I think if we miss on Simmons. The seasons over basically and we should delay going to the sec until we can get some real players 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls