Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Ketch's source is Roach, whose source is Justin Vogel, whose source is Justin Wells, whose source is Gerry Hamilton, whose source is Hudson Standish, whose source is Ketchum.

You forgot Nahlin. He's definitely one of the sources. 

And, Nahlin's "I told you so!" post (if Simmons commits to Texas) is going to be epic.. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll say it…if kid is leaking fake Miami commits, then pumping up Texas behind the scenes…before committing to LSU…before flipping to Texas…isn’t out of the question if kid is maximizing the money. 

Seems like a great candidate for an esteemed business school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

That or this agent of his is about to be real, real busy from other top athletes. And that playbook might only be “let me tell you how to make Texas pay.”

This recruitment is wild. If the kid chooses Texas, he should self publish an Amazon book about his recruitment, and you know it’ll sell some non-zero amount of copies. Probably a few thousand at least. All the 995ers will read it, plus a ton of fans at Texas. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll say it…if kid is leaking fake Miami commits, then pumping up Texas behind the scenes…before committing to LSU…before flipping to Texas…isn’t out of the question if kid is maximizing the money. 

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’m ready to make him the CIA Director and set him loose pitting our enemies against each other. 

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That or this agent of his is about to be real, real busy from other top athletes. And that playbook might only be “let me tell you how to make Texas pay.”

This recruitment is wild. If the kid chooses Texas, he should self publish an Amazon book about his recruitment, and you know it’ll sell some non-zero amount of copies. Probably a few thousand at least. All the 995ers will read it, plus a ton of fans at Texas. 

Gerry has noted multiple times that Colin is very savvy about the recruiting game and knows how to use it.

21 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

I think Gerry or somebody else said the CS prefers LSU’s scheme over ours.

does Matt House have enough of a history as a DC to have a well defined scheme?

image.png.585ef3db081c95c1916c9eb1ad246ceb.png

DFEI rankings of those teams where he has been the DC:

• 23 LSU: 16
  • 18 Kentucky: 13
  • 17 Kentucky: 76
  • 15 FIU: 117 (he left FIU to go be the LB and ST coach at Kentucky in 16)
  • 14 Pitt: 90
  • 13 Pitt: 47

dude signed an initial 3 year contract last year, then an extension in April. they were very clearly concerned about him leaving because 1 year into a 3 year deal they extended +1 year.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Do we need to get Loreal Sarkisian in on this recruitment? 

quick reminder that Brian Kelly filed for divorce from his wife of 28 years, including plans to move out like 4 days after the petition was filed, which included a restraining order to protect the assets, and exclusive use of their home. then they reconciled like 3 days into that timeframe.

and all of his kis denied the reports that he filed for divorce...only for newspapers/tv to find the petition and verify it existed and was real like <24 hours later.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/brian-kelly-divorce-wife-paqui-lsu-court-record-01grwz8yz04r

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You couldn't even find a pic with actual pavement? I don't think I've ever run across the phrase "I'll keep my ears to the unmanicured lawn with a dollarweed problem"

looks like that's more of a nutsedge issue and some clover than a dollar weed problem

businessman-with-is-ear-to-the-grass.jpg

45 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

The white flag has been waved

F0C8E0E1-91C6-49EF-BEB4-12367C757120.thumb.jpeg.09ecaaa51564097e3e930271feecd9e8.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

LSU and Texas are awaiting a decision from 2024 Duncanville (Tex.) EDGE Colin Simmons, who announces at 2 p.m. CT on Thursday. The Five Star Plus+ prospect is one the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine is split on, but clarity is emerging.

Based on what multiple sources are telling me heading into decision day, I expect the Longhorns to be the pick for Simmons, as of now. Now, there's a chance that this could flip back LSU's way, but I expect things to tighten down on Simmons' end as he and his family prepare for his announcement. I haven't moved my On3 RPM pick yet, but if I don't hear positivity by Thursday morning, I will.

Simmons is a prospect that wasn't going to go far from home, we knew that. That's a reason why LSU stayed in this race. LSU also had some strong relationships here working in its favor, but didn't have everyone in the camp fully on board.

For Colin, he feels he'll be a guy who is three-and-out wherever he goes. Tough to blame him for feeling that way, but LSU did put together a great plan for him on the field as well. I think there's more trust in LSU on Simmons' end to execute that plan, in a sense.

I've said this for a while now, but as you get into the final schools, most players are comfortable with any school in the top group. I feel that way about Colin, save for Miami. He could see himself in Baton Rouge or Austin. Both NIL packages are extremely strong.

I do see Texas having an endless pocketbook when it comes to making it happen with Simmons, which was always going to be tough to overcome for LSU. Simmons has a brother with autism and one of the biggest factors for him is his comfort. That's why programs like Texas and Texas A&M were well-positioned. If the family didn't want to move, they wouldn't have to.

What worked against Texas throughout this recruitment is relationships elsewhere for Simmons might've been a bit better. The plan for Simmons and his family though seems to have come together in Austin.

LSU set up a situation that'd be extremely strong and included pitching his family on what a life in Baton Rouge would look like. This isn't one of those races where LSU peaked too early, but rather made it very difficult down the stretch on Texas. There was confidence that Simmons was set to shut things down after his June visit to Austin.

Instead, LSU buckled in and pressed. The Tigers got the whole family down to Baton Rouge to take things in for a multi-day trip around Bayou Splash.

We'll have much more in my full behind the scenes piece, but as Shea and I put our On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine picks in, we wrestled with this question, "should we wait?" This is why we could've certainly waited, but in reality, LSU sat in a tremendous spot for Simmons when he announced his commitment date. It seemed like boxes were checked, but on our end we knew there was still time.

Anyone saying this recruitment was done after the Texas official visit in June would be mistaken. Same for LSU in the aftermath of hosting him for the Bayou Splash.

While we knew and posted this would be a battle until decision day and beyond, we didn't want to put our picks in at the last second. We had good information and we submitted our predictions. As we posted, it wasn't a celebration of sorts on our end, but a feeling of where things stood on our end.

As you'd expect for a prospect like Simmons, the heat was turned up by both sides even more. Roughly 24 hours from his decision, it looks like the Longhorns will keep him in-state.

There's going to be a lot of different angles to unpack once this one ends, but that's where I see things with Simmons right now

Screen-Shot-2012-10-18-at-4.59.42-PM-3725591636.png

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t think it’s Embody’s business to discuss Simmon’s younger brother. Tasteless. 

i mean, he was pretty direct and to the point:

Simmons has a brother with autism and one of the biggest factors for him is his comfort. That's why programs like Texas and Texas A&M were well-positioned. If the family didn't want to move, they wouldn't have to.

he isn't Ketch, he isn't going to be out here just dropping shit like that w/o talking to the family i would guess.

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, he was pretty direct and to the point:

he isn't Ketch, he isn't going to be out here just dropping shit like that w/o talking to the family i would guess.

Colin’s brother condition was talked about publicly in a Fong article from March that  I posted yesterday. There is no doubt given what was said in that Fong article that being 2.5-3 hours from his family would more ideal than 6 hours. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, Getafix said:

(

[Last] Wednesday Recruiting Nuggets: Where I stand on a few fronts

Sonny Shipp

Reveal hidden contents

Wednesday Recruiting Nuggets: Where I stand on a few fronts

Sonny Shipp

If things stay as they are, LSU fans will be rejoicing in August.

The first day of celebration should come on Aug. 10 when five-star EDGE Colin Simmons is set to reveal his college decision. I expect a similar announcement from four-star running back Caden Durham.

I’ll cut straight to the chase; if things stay as they are, I think LSU lands both of the big prizes from Duncanville High School.

I’ve been pretty bullish on LSU and Durham for some time now, but I admit that Texas made a lot of folks sweat with Simmons after his official visit in June. OU and Texas will cause concern until they sign that NLI in the Early Signing Period, so neither recruitment will likely shut down completely. However, for now, I think the LSU staff has positioned the Tigers in the lead spot for both heading down this stretch.

Frank Wilson, Sherman Wilson, JR Belton, Jordan Arcement, John Jancek and co. have to maintain the momentum they have because NIL can change things in a split second. One good thing is LSU has done a nice job with that process in laying things out. Another positive is NIL has not been THE deciding factor with either recruitment up to this point.

Durham’s unofficial visit to LSU the weekend after his official visit to Oklahoma is where my confidence level went up even more. He brought his brother, who like most of their family is part of Sooner Nation. He had seen everything OU had to offer. The LSU visit made a strong impression on him and all those positive vibes were relayed back to his dad’s side in Oklahoma.

It was obvious LSU had been sitting high for the nation’s No. 9 running back before that trip. Having more than just his mom and grandparents rave about LSU, including someone from behind enemy lines, was a big vote of confidence if he chose Baton Rouge over home. This latest trip for Durham and his mother looks like the final stamp of approval.

This latest visit was obviously big for Simmons in several ways, one being it gave him a chance to compare what he saw at Texas in late June to LSU last weekend. Until that trip to Austin, most felt LSU had a sizable lead for the previous nine months.

The NIL side of things concerns me a little more with Simmons based off some of the unconfirmed numbers I’ve heard tossed around and how bad Texas wants to keep him away from LSU.

*** The way things are trending with Dominick McKinley after his visit for the Bayou Splash, Simmons would not be the only five-star I would currently pick the Tigers to beat the Longhorns for in August.

That was McKinley’s first time in Baton Rouge since Jimmy Lindsey got hired as the new D-line coach. Lindsey and Frank Wilson had some time with McKinley’s mother, who is steering the engine, and things went well. McKinley wanted to decide before the start of his senior season, so that is a timeline to keep in mind right now.

LSU was also able to express how interested they were in his younger brother, 2026 DL Darryus McKinley, with an in-person offer. That was something else that really hit home with mom and how close she could keep her sons close to home.

Buckle up for what should be a fun month on the trail.

This guy seems to hold the douche crown among all of the LSU reporters.  The level of smugness was nauseating.

(before anyone freaks out that was from a week ago)

Edited by Professor Chesney
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Colin’s brother condition was talked about publicly in a Fong article from March that  I posted yesterday. There is no doubt given what was said in that Fong article that being 2.5-3 hours from his family would more ideal than 6 hours. 

Sounds like lsu’s counter to that was to have the family move to Baton Rouge. 

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Colin Simmons Note

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247)

"After doing some more digging late last night and early this morning, I'm going to switch my crystal ball to Texas. I believe the NIL factor is too life-changing to pass up and will push the Horns over the top."

Hide contents

Colin Simmons Note

Sonny Shipp

Two days out from Colin Simmons and Caden Durham's announcement and the roller coaster is in overdrive.

Mike Roach put his crystal ball on Texas for the 5-star Simmons early Tuesday evening with a confidence level of 4. He joined other Texas analysts from other networks in siding with the Longhorns.

I talked to a couple of others in Texas and apparently there is a coach in the DFW area who has told some folks Simmons committed to Texas. For full transparency, I did not put Mike on the spot or even ask about that out of respect to see if that may have had anything to do with his pick because I trust the folks who gave me that and it would not have changed anything on my end.

After doing some more digging late last night and early this morning, I'm going to switch my crystal ball to Texas. I believe the NIL factor is too life-changing to pass up and will push the Horns over the top.

I was told that nobody does NIL like LSU. Something about Olivia somebody or other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Colin Simmons Note

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247)

"After doing some more digging late last night and early this morning, I'm going to switch my crystal ball to Texas. I believe the NIL factor is too life-changing to pass up and will push the Horns over the top."

Reveal hidden contents

Colin Simmons Note

Sonny Shipp

Two days out from Colin Simmons and Caden Durham's announcement and the roller coaster is in overdrive.

Mike Roach put his crystal ball on Texas for the 5-star Simmons early Tuesday evening with a confidence level of 4. He joined other Texas analysts from other networks in siding with the Longhorns.

I talked to a couple of others in Texas and apparently there is a coach in the DFW area who has told some folks Simmons committed to Texas. For full transparency, I did not put Mike on the spot or even ask about that out of respect to see if that may have had anything to do with his pick because I trust the folks who gave me that and it would not have changed anything on my end.

After doing some more digging late last night and early this morning, I'm going to switch my crystal ball to Texas. I believe the NIL factor is too life-changing to pass up and will push the Horns over the top.

13 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Pretty sure that source is Kobe Black who could be working with outdated information. However I think it's been known where he was going, will be interesting to see if one set of the 9.95ers decide to ruin the announcement or just stick with their picks.

I guess that question was answered. A real shitty move by Sonny Shipp, didn't need to include the blurb about Simmons already committing to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Professor Chesney said:

This guy seems to hold the douche crown among all of the LSU reporters.  The level of smugness was nauseating.

(before anyone freaks out that was from a week ago)

Yeah I said Bill Embody but I was meaning Sonny Shipp earlier.  Not that he is on Ketch's level or robbing charities.....LSU already fills that role.....but Shipp is just a tool.

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports), today. 

Key quotes:

On Simmons: "The majority of the intel is starting to really favor Texas as the Longhorns battle LSU and Miami among others down the stretch."

On Simmons: "A week ago they (the family) felt great around Baton Rouge, but not sure confidence is a high. Doesn’t seem the same as around Texas."

On Kobe Black: "The Aggies are rising with five-star cornerback Kobe Black (I’d still pick Texas today)."

Full article:

Blue-Chip Recruiting Buzz: Pulse on Colin Simmons, Michigan & LSU battle for 5-star QB, Aggies getting hot

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports)

Spoiler

Blue-Chip Recruiting Buzz: Pulse on Colin Simmons, Michigan & LSU battle for 5-star QB, Aggies getting hot

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports)

We are a day away from Duncanville (Texas) High five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons announcing his college decision.

The majority of the intel is starting to really favor Texas as the Longhorns battle LSU and Miami among others down the stretch.

Yes Miami is in there according to a source who told 247Sports on Tuesday that the Hurricanes are still battling for the coveted pass rusher. Simmons and his mother Monica McCarley returned to Coral Gables the first weekend of June for an official visit after having a great experience in the spring.

“Oh, my goodness,” McCarley said with a laugh. “Listen it was really, really nice. They pulled out all the stops. It was pretty cool. My takeaway of course Jason Taylor is an amazing coach. If anything he’d be the one coach I’d love for Colin to be coached by.”

Simmons loved it as well.

“Everything,” McCarley said of what her son liked. “That’s the only thing he describes. He says Miami checked off all the boxes for him.”

As Mario Cristobal and Miami work to pull a shocker, sources around Austin believe it will be them for Simmons when he steps to the podium on Wednesday afternoon. The festivities can be watched on the 247Sports YouTube page beginning at 2:45 p.m. An independent source told 247Sports on Tuesday evening that the Longhorns have had control of this recruitment the last three days.

“I love UT,” McCarley has told 247Sports. “I think it would be a great fit for Colin as far as when he gets into commercial real estate with the alumni and connections they offer.

“Of course, Colin wants to play in the SEC and the fact they’re going to the SEC means a lot for him. He has a close relationship with Sark. And they are also developing their coaching staff. I know they did bring on a new defensive end, edge coach, especially for his position. I know they’re trying to grow into becoming a championship team.”

Sources around LSU have always felt good about their position for Simmons, and that included after his most recent trip the last weekend of July and again when Simmons released his announcement date. The family loves the culture, staff and direction of the Tigers program. A week ago they felt great around Baton Rouge, but not sure confidence is a high. Doesn’t seem the same as around Texas.

Intel on the battle for the nation’s No. 1 2025 QB

Belleville (Mich.) High five-star junior quarterback Bryce Underwood has a decision date scheduled for Jan. 9. Sources indicate that timeline could move up with Michigan and LSU battling for the coveted passer and two-time state champion. He visited both at the end of July.

Underwood has now made three visits to Baton Rouge this calendar year and we expect him to get back for a game this fall. He has yet to attend a game in Death Valley and feel that atmosphere from that perspective. Joe Sloan is leading that recruitment.

With Michigan, Underwood has been to Ann Arbor a lot where he has built a strong rapport with Kirk Campbell. The recent track record on the field, the strong connection built with Campbell and everything the Maize and Blue represents in-state is attractive to Underwood.

Other schools have continued to try and make a move with the talented Underwood, but LSU and Michigan continue to lead the pack.

Texas A&M pushing for another terrific class

The Aggies have been a mainstay atop the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings and this 2024 cycle is no different as Jimbo Fisher and his staff sit on the nation’s No. 13 recruiting class and closing in on more top targets.

The next one that could jump in is Seattle (Wash.) O’Dea Top247’s offensive lineman Isendre Ahfua. The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Ahfua will announce his commitment on Saturday evening with the Aggies leading on the 247Sports Crystal Ball over Miami and Utah.

Ahfua would be commit No. 19 for Texas A&M if it goes that way, as Fisher and company put together what could be one of the best offensive line hauls in the SEC. They already beat LSU for Weston Davis and have coveted in-state guys Ashton Funk and Coen Echols in the fold as well. In addition to those names, I still like where Texas A&M stands with League City (Texas) Clear Springs Top247 offensive tackle Blake Ivy as well.

Beyond Ivey, Texas A&M remains in great position to ultimately land 247Sports’s No. 1 ranked athlete Terry Bussey. The five-star recruit out of Timpson (Texas) High had said in the past he was aiming to make a college decision before his senior season but now we expect him to take officials to at least LSU and A&M.

The Aggies are rising with five-star cornerback Kobe Black (I’d still pick Texas today), they’re battling Oklahoma for Top247 defensive lineman Nigel Smith II, they’re trending for in-state linebacker Xavier Atkins and they’ll continue pushing for guys like five-stars in defensive end Aydin Breland, receivers Ryan Wingo and Micah Hudson and Top247 defensive end Zina Umeozulu.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

CS mom has wanted Texas since the spring. I won’t post details until he officially signs somewhere in December, but there is a reason I posted in March to expect a lot of CS to Texas talk a few days before the 9.99 crew started talking more positively about Texas’ chances in the spring. 

$9.99 are you outta yo mind?!?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls