Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

15 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bobby and Gerry have touched on this before.Ā  Typically the recruiting industry will drop Texas commits a bit due to NFL draft history.Ā  Once we start cranking out NFL draftees, these rankings will go up a bit.

its actually pretty mixed. They are ranking the bottom of the class higher, but are hammering the top of the class.Ā 

ON3 has the lowest industry ranking on Baker (25 national vs 44 On3), Wingo (28 v 66), Black (44 v 97), Gibson (83 v 171), and Filsame (33 vs 61)..

They are have the highest rankings on Mack (108v 58), Cruz (199 v 149), Wilson (239 v 90), Robinson (281 v 166), Washington (384 v 273), and January (488 v 288)..Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bobby and Gerry have touched on this before.Ā  Typically the recruiting industry will drop Texas commits a bit due to NFL draft history.Ā  Once we start cranking out NFL draftees, these rankings will go up a bit.

So based on lack of development of players by coaches that are no longer here. Makes total logical sense

1 hour ago, BurgleBro said:

Legit question from somebody who only casually follows recruiting..

Is TyAnthony Smith a big deal?Ā  Ā 3 star recruit aggie has a few higher rated LBs in that class alone..

Is it the message that we flipped somebody?Ā  Ā A special position of need?Ā 

I was about ready to come in with a hawt take about rather having Tristan Jernigan in their class since he is bigger and higher rated. Then I went and watched them side by side, and no... no I would not. Tristan Jagagain is just not very impactful. Why they went all the way to Mississippi for this guy I will never know. The one senior game Smith has out on hudl is actually pretty good. He is a good space player in pass coverage, has very good athleticism, and was generally all over the field on both sides of the ball. He gives me a Mo Blackwell vibe but with a thicker frame to grow into. If we can push him up to 230 lbs we could have a pretty damn good player on our hands with a year or two of development. He is still small school raw in terms of his ability to play football with technique, but he is easily a take.Ā 

On a side note, A&M is so incredibly fucked at LB. After losing out on Perkins and Hill in back to back classes, if we do flip Smith they are going to be set back at that position for 3 years or more.Ā 

Edited by Vertigo

Just now, Vertigo said:

I was about ready to come in with a hawt take about rather having Tristan Jernigan in their class since he is bigger and higher rated. Then I went and watched them side by side, and no... no I would not. Tristan Jagagain is just not very impactful. Why they went all the way to Mississippi for this guy I will never know. The one senior game Smith has out on hudl is actually pretty good. He is a good space player in pass coverage, has very good athleticism, and was generally all over the field on both sides of the ball. He gives me a Mo Blackwell vibe but with a thicker frame to grow into. If we can push him up to 230 lbs we could have a pretty damn good player on our hands with a year or two of development. He is still small school raw in terms of his ability to play football with technique, but he is easily a take.Ā 

The guy who really wants Jernigan? Saban, oddly enough.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The guy who really wants Jernigan? Saban, oddly enough.

I don't know.. I just don't see it. As a true MLB, maybe he will be fine, but he just seemed to be a guy that was second or third to the ball on a bunch of cleanup plays and just kind of floats around after the ball is snapped.Ā 

Edited by Vertigo

37 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

Yea put me in this camp. Itā€™s far superior to services overrating your players as long as it doesnā€™t get out of control. Given our program trajectory I doubt it even lasts long.Ā 

I agree with this as long as we stay top 10 in the final rankings to avoid the ā€œnoBoDY wAnTs to PLAy fer TEXASā€ hit piece headlines.

Edited by Sock Monkey

image.png.bfe2029a812e46d1fb91fd285a26c9b5.png

Ā 

If that's why, these guys may have set a new low in sportswriter idiocy.

1. For honesty's sake, they should say they're rating players on their potential to play in the NFL. They're not rating them as college players.
  2. Plenty of great college players don't make it in the NFL. It doesn't diminish their performance as collegians.
  3. So, they are saying their own initial judgment about a player is swayed because Texas chose the player? "We were idiots to rate this guy so high. Texas taking him proves we're idiots. Thank you Texas and the NFL!"
  4. Fuck the NFL and focussing on it in a college football discussion. College football turning in to the NFL fast enough.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I agree with this as long as we stay top 10 in the final rankings to avoid the ā€œnoBoDY wAnTs to PLAy fer TEXASā€ hit piece headlines.

We are going to be top 5, and it is really splitting hairs at that level. You are talking about 2 or 3 points difference for entire classes, and some of those classes have 4 or 5 more guys in them. If someone said we finished 5th or 2nd, it all kind of feels the same. Tip of the hat to the staff regardless.Ā 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I have an affinity for Applebee's, simply because growing up in Camp Lejeune with very little to do in the neighboring shithole town of Jacksonville, Applebee's was relatively new and was one of the nicer restaurants in town.Ā  So it felt like a big night out when my parents would take us there for dinner.

There's a non zero chance I will be moving there this upcoming summer.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Ā 

1. For honesty's sake, they should say they're rating players on their potential to play in the NFL. They're not rating them as college players.
  2. Plenty of great college players don't make it in the NFL. It doesn't diminish their performance as collegians.
  3. So, they are saying their own initial judgment about a player is swayed because Texas chose the player? "We were idiots to rate this guy so high. Texas taking him proves we're idiots. Thank you Texas and the NFL!"
  4. Fuck the NFL and focussing on it in a college football discussion. College football turning in to the NFL fast enough.

The only thing I took from this post is you use light mode on surly, and I'm not sure if I can ever look past that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

the fact that they STILL do not have a position coach or DC announced - or any coaches yet fully announced as far as i know - is a complete failure on their end.

who is out recruiting for them?

A&M sent Tony Jerod-Eddie (who was an analyst but got promoted by ERob when he was announced as interim) and Sean Spencer, who again has yet to be formally announced and is not on their website STILL

if i am a recruit who is considering flipping how do i even know who to reach out to at A&M since there is no clarity on who is or isn't on the recruiting trail on their own website.

I'm not sure that recruits base their schedules or decisions on googling coaching staff pages on athletic program websites like you seem to think.Ā 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Ā 

I agree

20 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

So based on lack of development of players by coaches that are no longer here. Makes total logical sense

I agree

30 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The brilliance of lowering rankings purportedly because of people who arenā€™t even here anymore but apparently because of the logo is unassailable.Ā 

I agree

38 minutes ago, Vermin said:

So why even have recruiting rankings if the outcome is pre-determined?

I agree

44 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Thatā€™s science!

It definitely is.

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We are going to be top 5, and it is really splitting hairs at that level. You are talking about 2 or 3 points difference for entire classes, and some of those classes have 4 or 5 more guys in them. If someone said we finished 5th or 2nd, it all kind of feels the same. Tip of the hat to the staff regardless.Ā 

I agree, but Iā€™m just saying that a double-digit recruiting ranking for Texas is irresistible troll bait for some of the more-Texas antagonistic national writers out there. We havenā€™t seen it for a while though - thank God.

1 hour ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Ā 

Chiliā€™s is much better than Applebees. Ā I donā€™t go often but I havenā€™t had a bad meal there in years. Ā The burgers are surprisingly good and the margarita chicken is always a good choice. Ā Applebees on the other hand can fuck up frozen mozzarella sticks. Ā I was working in a smaller town that didnā€™t have many options for a few months and we would go there to drink after work. Ā Nothing ever tasted good and half the time everything was way overcooked. Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I know itā€™s already been addressed but what will we have drafted this year 8 guys? Maybe 9 or 10 if Brooks goes pro and Ewers balls out in the playoffs.

Jones

Worthy

AD

Sanders

Sweat

Ford

Barron

Murphy

Ā 

Ā 

You might see a Crawford, Robinson, or Sanborn sneak in at the end of the draft as a special teamer, Brooks will most likely go pro, and it sounds like Collins is leaning towards declaring. So that could be as many as 10-12 guys.Ā Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

With XF being a 4 star now, the same thing seemed to happen to Kobe black. I thought he was a 5 star then all of the sudden the last two months heā€™s a 4 star. Wingo and Simmons were really the only ones that didnā€™t drop a ton once they were assumed/committed.Ā 

Filsaime is still a composite five star, unless there was a recent ratings update that isn't showing for some reason.Ā 

39 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I know itā€™s already been addressed but what will we have drafted this year 8 guys? Maybe 9 or 10 if Brooks goes pro and Ewers balls out in the playoffs.

Jones

Worthy

AD

Sanders

Sweat

Ford

Barron

Murphy

Ā 

Ā 

According to Bobby this morning it is not guaranteed Sanders goes pro.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Legit question from somebody who only casually follows recruiting..

Is TyAnthony Smith a big deal?Ā  Ā 3 star recruit aggie has a few higher rated LBs in that class alone..

Is it the message that we flipped somebody?Ā  Ā A special position of need?Ā 

Gerry & Rod recently broke down TyAnthony Smith last month on a episode of "Talkin' Football" and the gist of what they said is "despite Smith only being a high 3-star recruit, he's a no-brainer take for UT becuz he's a high-upside/high-ceiling in-state LB prospect in a very weak LB recruiting class cycle pool."

Ā 

• Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Jones

Worthy

AD

Sanders

Sweat

Ford

Barron

Murphy

Ā 

Ā 

Those guys are absolutely all getting drafted (unless sanders or Mitchell pull off a shocker and come back).Ā  There is no way Brooks isn't going- and he's getting drafted so that makes 9.Ā  Collins makes 10.Ā  1 of the following 3 likely gets drafted as a special teamer with a halo effect from a winning program (Robinson, Crawford, Sanborn).Ā  Over under is 10.5. If we win it all I'd up that over under to 11.5.Ā Ā 

The only knock they will be able to say is not enough first rounders.Ā  Quinn and Banks going top 5 next year would pretty much put that to rest.Ā Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's because of Ryan Williams' reclassification. When he switched to the 2024 class, On3 added him into the rankings at #11, pushing everyone below him down one. Filsaime was the last five-star in their rankings before that (#32) so he got pushed out. These were the five-stars as of last week:

GAmfjw-XYAENL_3?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's because of Ryan Williams' reclassification. When he switched to the 2024 class, On3 added him into the rankings at #11, pushing everyone below him down one. Filsaime was the last five-star in their rankings before that (#32) so he got pushed out. These were the five-stars as of last week:

GAmfjw-XYAENL_3?format=jpg&name=large

I think they had an update. I thought a poster showed earlier on3 had moved him into the 60s?

• Hook 'Em 1