2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

48 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

So weird, the sports media (minus local Houston media) wants a trade to happen so bad.

I don’t know how much of the Florio and Adam Shefter type info to believe. They get clicks based on drama and are incentivized to create or exaggerate drama. 

Kind of bullshit if Texans hire Deshaun’s candidate of choice from the onset (Bieniemy) and he still forces a trade where the Texans get dogshit in return. Then Shefter gets to mock Houston for the next 6 months or more for getting raped in another trade. 

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think he'll be alright. Mama's worth 4 billion and he's an only child. 

He’s got a brother, Cary, that runs the serious part of the family business, McNair Industries. He’s much sharper and looks like the president of a large company. 

Cal got the Texans, because you literally can’t fuck it up.  NFL teams still print money every year because of TV. The McNair’s invested $500M into the Texans in 2002. The team’s value is currently around $3B. I really hope Tommy Boy considers selling, but it really doesn’t make any sense to do that. 

Edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

So weird, the sports media (minus local Houston media) wants a trade to happen so bad.

I think they’re running with the information they have. The Texans are extremely mum on everything, so this is clearly Deshaun’s camp that’s leaking something almost daily and exclusively negative about the Texans. 

2 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

He’s got a brother, Cary, that runs the serious part of the family business, McNair Industries. He’s much sharper and looks like the president of a large company. 

Cal got the Texans, because you literally can’t fuck it up.  NFL teams still print money every year because of TV. The McNair’s invested $500M into the Texans in 2002. The team’s value is currently around $3B. I really hope Tommy Boy considers selling, but it really doesn’t make any sense to do that. 

Yeah he has zero motivation to sell the world’s coolest toy....

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

Houston Texans: Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy have begun assembling staffs with the idea that they are prime candidates for the head coaching job, Adam Schefter tweets.

May have to wait another 3 weeks.

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I hate all things Houston, but I wanted to say, sorry. So sorry yall suck like the cowboys. We both have shit ownership. Having said that, yall suck slightly more.

I hate all things Dallas. But I am sorry to say that we suck quite a bit more. You may have shit ownership. We have dumb-as-shit ownership.

• Like 3

Shefter posted that whoever the Texans hire is irrelevant, Deshaun will still want out. Makes zero sense to me, if he wants out, ask for the trade now, literally no point in waiting.

I think no matter what, Deshaun is a Texan game 1 of next year. No point in signing him to that contract and letting him go for any trade package. Hopefully we hire Bieniemy and he and the new GM smooth it over quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

While I would absolutely hate seeing Watson go, at this point it may be worth the 3 first round picks for the long term.  There are so many holes in this roster that they are 2 or 3 years away from contending even with Watson.  They have no draft picks this year, they have no really tradable assets (other then Watson), and their cap situation isn't great.  If the Jets or Dolphins come with a really good offer, it may be too much to pass up.  I'd prefer the Jets just because of the value of the #2 overall pick. I would hate every minute of it as I am a huge Deshaun Watson fan, but I'd rather see the Texans win a SB without Deshaun than continue to be mediocre with him.  I think they need a complete roster overhaul and should look to 2024 to start talking about making playoff runs and division titles. 

The question becomes what to do about QB?  Do you use the #2 overall pick to take Fields?  Do you try to trade down and acquire more picks and take a chance that Wilson is still available or take a chance on Trask or Jones? 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

While I would absolutely hate seeing Watson go, at this point it may be worth the 3 first round picks for the long term.  There are so many holes in this roster that they are 2 or 3 years away from contending even with Watson.  They have no draft picks this year, they have no really tradable assets (other then Watson), and their cap situation isn't great.  If the Jets or Dolphins come with a really good offer, it may be too much to pass up.  I'd prefer the Jets just because of the value of the #2 overall pick. I would hate every minute of it as I am a huge Deshaun Watson fan, but I'd rather see the Texans win a SB without Deshaun than continue to be mediocre with him.  I think they need a complete roster overhaul and should look to 2024 to start talking about making playoff runs and division titles. 

The question becomes what to do about QB?  Do you use the #2 overall pick to take Fields?  Do you try to trade down and acquire more picks and take a chance that Wilson is still available or take a chance on Trask or Jones? 

Aside from Crane's Astros, Charlie Thomas's post-Malone (see what I did there?) Rockets, and Bud's post-Moon Oilers, Houston teams and their dumb owners seldom do tear-it-all-down rebuilds.

Incidentally, those are the teams that won conference championships and/or rings, albeit with the Oilers in TN and the Rockets after an ownership change.

Morey had the Rockets exciting and in contention for a few years there but really it's now been 25 years of goodness as opposed to any greatness at all, that one scare they put into GS notwithstanding. McLane didn't have a fucking clue what to do once Biggio and Bagwell and Berkman got old and was happy enough winning 85 games a year until his piss-poor drafting and player development made even that impossible...And still he lacked the nerve to blow up and overhaul the franchise. That was Crane and Luhnow's job and they did it perfectly. 

But this shit? What a fucking mess. I don't know if any franchise in living memory has had more perfect conditions for a 3-5 year overhaul that could culminate in a dynasty. You have an elite young QB dying to get out and, well, nothing else, really, aside from JJ Watt's husk. Not only is the roster a shambles, but so are the draft and cap situations. It's such a shitshow that even a good portion of Texans fans wouldn't care to see Watson traded, not just because they see it's a strategic necessity but also because they feel bad for the guy being on such a shit franchise, and the same goes double for JJ. 

The tricky part is this -- do we trust Failson McNair and Cackalacky Rasputin to maximize Watson's trade value? Do we trust them to be Jimmie Johnson in the Herschel Walker deal?

And with this franchise shot through with this idiotic Evangelicalism, these smarmy emotional decisions guiding them from Tommy Boy on down, it becomes ten times harder than it needs to be. I get the feeling they look for reasons to keep players off the team rather than thinking about ways to control and even improve the lives of some players with character issues. Taking in those guys can go two ways -- it worked for the Pats, even with Aaron Hernandez flaming out historically. Somehow, even that disaster didn't leave the franchise with an indelible stain, and they won before, during and after he was there, with other guys with bad reputations on many of those rosters. Belichik just never had too many on the roster at one time and trusted the few he did have to conform to the overall culture of excellence.

At the other extreme, you have the Bengals; talented but out of control and never able to get over the hump because Mike Brown is so cheap. He liked head cases because he thought he was getting bargains, and on the most basic level -- getting more talent for less money -- he was, but you are also losing the intangibles, like having a shitty team culture, and on tangibles like ejections, bad penalties, and suspensions. It's just as bad in the other direction to have psychos like Pacman Jones or Vontaze Burfict as your franchise poster boys as it is to have some lame milk and cookie boy like shell-shocked David Carr. (The difference is, Jones and Burfict could be key pieces on great teams whereas what was left of Carr after year three could not.)

But this iteration of the Texans is incapable of that and will only take dudes with absolutely unimpeachable "core values" and "moral fiber." Charlie Strong wasn't even like that: in spite of all the dudes he kicked off the team, he still gave scholarships to stoners like Holton Hill, hoping he could turn him around, and he did, kind of. Not enough, but almost. But the Texans won't even consider it, and they are so far from having the kind of Patriots-like culture you need it's probably not even worth it to try. I mean, you could get it if this year you had cap space and draft space to put a bunch of maulers in front of Watson and let him become your Tom Brady over the next five years, but they don't. 

The mid-to-late '80, early 90s Padres were in a fix like this. I wish I could find it online, because I no longer have my copy of the (I think) 1986 Bill James Baseball Abstract. His essay on the Padres that year was hilarious -- he imagined himself a fly on the wall in the deeply Christian Padres front office, which a genie had granted unlimited money and the ability to draft any baseball player in all history at the prime of their career. And they went through Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Lefty Grove, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Reggie Jackson, Sandy Koufax, Ted Williams, and on and on, finding ways to shoot them all down for being hotheads, rumored gamblers, womanizers, heathens, drunks, "not a good fit," "lacking character," and winding up picking Danny Thompson, a borderline major leaguer but a great human being who died of leukemia at 29.  The Padres made zero post-seasons from 1985 through 1995. 

Do you think the Texans would take a player with views like this, even if he came for free?

“I don’t think [Christianity is] very welcoming — religion can be a crutch. It can be something that people have to have to make themselves feel better. And because it’s sort of binary, it’s us and them. It’s saved and unsaved. It’s heaven and hell. It’s enlightened and heathen. It’s holy and righteous and sinner and filthy. I think that makes a lot of people feel better about themselves. They say, ‘Oh, I’ve got Jesus and I’m saved and I’m going to heaven and there’s only 144,000 of us going even though there’s seven billion people on the planet. I don’t know how you can believe in a god who wants to condemn most of the planet to a fiery hell. Like what type of loving, sensitive, omnipresent, omnipotent being wants to condemn most of his beautiful creation to a fiery hell at the end of all this?”

No, of course they wouldn't, even if the guy who said that is Aaron fucking Rodgers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

One of the most satisfying things about this season is that we all see what the “Patriot Way” really is - draft the GOAT at by far the most important position in the 6th round and have him play at a high level for 20 years. We’ll see over time how much of a fucking genius Belichek is/was...

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Hate said:

I think Wilson will be a better NFL QB than Fields, and a lot of mock drafts are starting to move Wilson into top 2-5 pick range as well. Obviously either would be a downgrade from Deshaun, so you have to ask if the other picks are enough to make it worth it. Or is Tua still seen as a potential top 5-10 QB in a couple years if the Dolphins offer him plus 3 #1’s so you’d essentially get a bonus pick compared to what you’d get from the Panthers, Falcons, or Bears? Or is Sam Darnold salvageable if he got thrown in on a Jets trade?

You have to expect whatever team Watson goes to will improve greatly, so future picks may be shitty. Getting two firsts and high 2nd this year and one pick in the future is preferable to getting the next 3 years’ first rounders, especially from the Panthers/Falcons. If the Jets gave up #2, #23, #34, and 2022 first rounder, that is about the greatest value you could get. If you think Wilson (or Fields) is your guy you get him at #2, else you trade down with ATL, DET, or CAR and pick up another high 2nd rounder or 2022 first rounder. If Tua is still legit and Miami also gives #3, #18, and #36, then hell yeah I’d do that too. But taking the 2021, 2022, and 2023 firsts off somebody, not exciting or high value. Any any of this Adam Shefter nonsense of two #1’s and either a #2 or #3 is bullshit. 

50 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That's possible. Of course, they could do a last minute interview with another team's third string quarterback. 

I'm expecting a phone call myself.  I sent them some screen shots of my NCAA 2013 dynasty's success.  I can do offense and defense myself and save them some money on coordinators.  And I'm not the worst option that's been mentioned.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I'm expecting a phone call myself.  I sent them some screen shots of my NCAA 2013 dynasty's success.  I can do offense and defense myself and save them some money on coordinators.  And I'm not the worst option that's been mentioned.

but do you know Christ to be your lord and savior?

The fans need another Fire Easterby protest rally on Kirby. Anything to start making it obvious that there is no way for it to end well and the best option is to end it now. If Easterby got canned and Bieniemy got hired and Watson still forces a trade, then that’s shitty on Watson in the way of any star player prima donna that demands trades to screw their franchise and fans any time it gets tough or their surrounding cast is bad. 

I’m starting to warm up to a trade with the Jets to get Zach Wilson (plus other first and second rounders) over a trade with Miami to get Tua (with other first and second rounders). Is Mormonism compatible with Cal and Easterby’s platform?

56 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The fans need another Fire Easterby protest rally on Kirby. Anything to start making it obvious that there is no way for it to end well and the best option is to end it now. If Easterby got canned and Bieniemy got hired and Watson still forces a trade, then that’s shitty on Watson in the way of any star player prima donna that demands trades to screw their franchise and fans any time it gets tough or their surrounding cast is bad. 

I’m starting to warm up to a trade with the Jets to get Zach Wilson (plus other first and second rounders) over a trade with Miami to get Tua (with other first and second rounders). Is Mormonism compatible with Cal and Easterby’s platform?

Evangelicals don’t like Mormons. They’re a heretical sect.

It's going to take people not buying tickets or merchandise. A few blackouts in Houston would also work since Texans are proud they haven't had any. Also, season tickets don't get renewed and the 30k list goes away. That's how we get change. But, I think there are to many Kool aid drinkers for this to happen...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As far as the public knows, what are Watson's demands? 

He hasn't said anything publicly, but I'm sure a lot of it is centered around fixing the culture inside of NRG, which includes Jack Easterby being removed from the building. That would go a long way. Calhoun McNair instead has chosen his personal pastor over his players and fans. Throw that on top of all of the other dumb shit this organization has done, and I don't feel there's a lot that's gunna change Watson's mind. Same with my mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He hasn't said anything publicly, but I'm sure a lot of it is centered around fixing the culture inside of NRG, which includes Jack Easterby being removed from the building. That would go a long way. Calhoun McNair instead has chosen his personal pastor over his players and fans. Throw that on top of all of the other dumb shit this organization has done, and I don't feel there's a lot that's gunna change Watson's mind. Same with my mind. 

They won't fire him. They will try to "reassign" him but his clout will stay the same. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Obviously not, as Saleh (maybe the best candidate) couldn't even sniff an interview.

I also don't know if Deshaun meshes with the Jets, seeing that Woody Johnson is now coming back from the Trump Administration. That's just a guess, though. Deshaun might not be all of the way that way.

Weren’t the Jet or Dolphins his preferred destination according to the “leaks”? I don’t really understand that as they may be more dysfunctional than the Texans. I would prefer he go there if he leaves as the value of the #2 pick is much greater than what the Dolphins have, especially this year.

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Obviously not, as Saleh (maybe the best candidate) couldn't even sniff an interview.

I also don't know if Deshaun meshes with the Jets, seeing that Woody Johnson is now coming back from the Trump Administration. That's just a guess, though. Deshaun might not be all of the way that way.

It enrages me that a coach or player’s religion or lifestyle would disqualify someone from being hired by the Texans. It’s outrageous that the team representing the most diverse city in the country would have rubes running a team like that. The McNairs conception of what it means to have character is also faulty from a Christian perspective. For them it is like an exclusive club where they apply their privileged worldview. Bieniemy getting into scrapes more than 30 years ago as a college kid shouldn’t disqualify tor this job. They have no forgiveness or acknowledgment that we are all broken. Key tenets of Christianity 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

It enrages me that a coach or player’s religion or lifestyle would disqualify someone from being hired by the Texans. It’s outrageous that the team representing the most diverse city in the country would have rubes running a team like that. The McNairs conception of what it means to have character is also faulty from a Christian perspective. For them it is like an exclusive club where they apply their privileged worldview. Bieniemy getting into scrapes more than 30 years ago as a college kid shouldn’t disqualify tor this job. They have no forgiveness or acknowledgment that we are all broken. Key tenets of Christianity 

Yah, I'm not going to say for a fact that religion played a significant part there with Saleh, 'cos we really don't know, but I also can't ignore it as an extreme possibility with Lakewood's youth pastor helping to run the show. Doesn't help that part of the reason they traded Hopkins seemed to be based on morality. 

• Hook 'Em 2