welcome back to the cloak room, surly conservatives

elfenix

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can hang my hat on one issue that will mean I am forever opposed to the GQP: they actively trafficked in, and continue to traffic in, the Big Lie and all that attends it, including a violent attack on the government of my country as it was performing a vital constitutional function.

I am am American all the way through my bones. I saw my country attacked on 9/11, and I was enraged. I saw who the attackers were, and their motivation by a perverse and insane ideology, and I was even more angry. I hate them. I hate those who created and supported them. I still hate those who support them, or excuse them.

I felt the exact same way the next time my country was violently attacked by perverse and insane terrorists, on Jan 6.

Both events attacked and destabilized my country, my republic. I have a strong interest in maintaining a stable, functioning republic.

Those are consistent, conservative, and patriotic reactions, based on consistent conservative and patriotic beliefs.

I have them. The GQP and its supporters and enablers do not - they CONTINUE to traffic in the Big Lie in ways both big and small. Many won’t admit that Trump lost. Functionally ALL use the existence of the Big Lie, which is not supported by ANY credible evidence, as an excuse to restrict the voting rights of their fellow Americans. And it goes on and on. The GQP is not conservative. It is a proto-fascist anti-American organization.

Yes, I find it highly ironic that I used to freely make fun of the "free shit army" that some "liberal" politicians were guilty of pandering to.

But the GQP has unleashed the "stupid fucking shit army" that has brought us Qanon, Michael Flynn, Lin Wood, Sidney Powell, MTG and Boobert among a host of other clowns, dipshits and morons.

And, worst of all, the stupid fucking shit army actually threatens many of the core values of the United States of America, and its very existence.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Also, we all see what you're trying to do with this new on topic selectively enforced time out rule. You're not coy.  

You overestimate my power here. I didn’t put you in time out. The mods did. I wasn’t even the one who reported you for your post about me. I thought it was funny. Pretty sure Penelope did since she said so in another thread. I did report a previous post as revenge for me getting a time out but nothing happened. 

Come on, I am going to both sides this bitch. The left has their dipshits. The AOC posse comes to mind. The next day after the terrorist massacre in Waukesha they're out there still backing bail reform and even doing ridiculous interviews talking about emptying the prisons in 10 yrs. So both sides and all. 

Yes, they do, but they are less stupid than the right's current batch and far less malevolent.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Come on, I am going to both sides this bitch. The left has their dipshits. The AOC posse comes to mind. The next day after the terrorist massacre in Waukesha they're out there still backing bail reform and even doing ridiculous interviews talking about emptying the prisons in 10 yrs. So both sides and all. 

So you think MTG peddling anti-semitic conspiracy theories  or lies about the 2020 election being stolen is in the same boat as backing bail reform?

This is why I don't give a fuck about arguing with the right, and the U.S. right is no longer conservative, they're extreme right wing.  They peddle in hate, disinformation, and anti-democratic small d ideals.  And then pretend like that's comparable to a disagreement on tax policy or criminal justice reform.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

Those people you mentioned took up "arms" in the riot? I don't think 1 person was caught with a firearm. I could be wrong but I don't think there was 1 firearms charge. BTW if you broke into the capital you deserve to be prosecuted.   

You don’t need a whole army of guns to hang mike pence. It only takes one bullet to kill someone. Which is what they were prepared to do if he refused to overturn the election.

Or maybe they all just broke in to look at the artwork. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Those people you mentioned took up "arms" in the riot? I don't think 1 person was caught with a firearm. I could be wrong but I don't think there was 1 firearms charge. BTW if you broke into the capital you deserve to be prosecuted.   

So beating someone with a flagpole is not an armed assault? OK what about fire extinguishers? Fuck off with that bullshit. They did more than break into the capital. All of the stupid fucks in office who are minimizing what happened are ensuring that it’s going to happen again on a grander scale.

Here’s the thing though, they are pushing the middle to the left whether we want to be there or not, and there are a whole lot more people in the middle at this point than on the right. And a lot of us shoot back

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Did you even read the article you posted?  The prosecutor requested lax bail in a domestic violence case.  Wisconsin still has cash bail, and has not substantively changed its law regarding bail in many, many years.  "While Milwaukee hasn't ever abolished cash bond nor has the state, prosecutors in the DA's office are said to often advocate for lax bail policies." 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Ok. So you're advocating for bail reform.  This is the same Wisconsin law that has been in place for decades.  And you want to make bail more onerous.   You're quoting Chisolm from 2007 talking about a law that had been on the books for many years at that time.

Edit to add: even if any of your nonsense was true, what you're pointing to is policy differences.  There are legitimate reasons to seek bail reform, including in many places people locked up for years awaiting trial for minor, nonviolent offenses.  There are also reasons to be against it, such as perhaps more violent criminals will be free and commit more crimes.  That's a policy difference.  One that you may feel strongly about.  But it's not the same as spreading anti-semitic conspiracy theories or advocating an overthrow of the legitimately elected government.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Bravo said:

He is personally enacting leftist agenda bail reform and he knew what was going to happen and it happened. It's pretty simple. He called his proverbial shot.

His bail reform was to release non-violent offenders. He has already come out and said this release was a mistake, and requested a review of the case. Who was the lawyer who did it? etc. It should not have happened and the process needs to be reviewed. 

He is not a leftist who wants murderers on the streets. He knew that humans can be pieces of shit, and agreed in an interview that it is possible, a piece of shit could still go out after committing a non-violent crime and then commit a violent crime. He can't control humanity. 

This would be like saying no more drilling is allowed in the United States because BP spilled in the ocean. Millions of non-spilling producers would feel unduly persecuted for this blanket law saying they couldn't drill for oil. This would be as stupid as saying all conservative politicians want to spill oil everywhere. It's part of their agenda. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This is it, folks. This is the cognitive dissonance that is destroying our country. A cop was literally beat to death with the American flag on the Capitol steps and this guy is arguing that it doesn't count as an armed insurrection because they didn't have guns.
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Happy thanksgiving to all the CR denizens, even the malignant shitheels who try and minimize an actual terrorist attack on our seat of government.  Even now after all we know about the insurrection, you still have the gumption and astronomically ignorant vigor to make excuses for people that should have been strafed by an a-10 before reaching the capitol steps  

Make sure you give thanks to Ashli Babbitt for her sacrifice, and continue to pray for a white, dominionist, ethno-fascist dictatorship led by a failed reality TV show star/rapist. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

When the AOC posse lead a violent attack on the capitol in order to overthrow a legitimately elected government then you can both sides the issue. Until that happens, you’re just talking out of your ass. 

What about the violent attack on the White House on 5/29/2020?  Not AOC, but definitely not right wing.

• Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Bravo said:

He is personally enacting leftist agenda bail reform and he knew what was going to happen and it happened. It's pretty simple. He called his proverbial shot.

Man, fuck this "leftist agenda" bail reform shit.

The point of bail reform is to eliminate onerous bail requirements for minor, non-violent crimes that further make it difficult for the poors to defend themselves adequately and cause undue collateral consequences like loss of employment prior to conviction.

It is the right thing to do.

There have been some inexplicable fuckups by individual judges that basically go against the bail reform laws as written, but the notion shouldn't be regarded as "leftist."

Our carceral state is fucking ridiculous and a waste of money.  And, that problem has been recognized by conservatives.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

What about the violent attack on the White House on 5/29/2020?  Not AOC, but definitely not right wing.

And also not an attempt to disrupt a specific government proceeding involving violent entry of the actual premises of a government building.

And also not premised on a lie spouted by the ostensible leader of the free world.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

You mean when one guy got into it with Secret Service during a protest?

You're comparing that to several thousand people breaking into the Capitol building hunting for the Vice President and United States Senators and assaulting police officers, killing one of them?

No offense, but you seem like an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
1 hour ago, Bravo said:

This is it, folks. This is the cognitive dissonance that is destroying our country. A cop was literally beat to death with the American flag on the Capitol steps and this guy is arguing that it doesn't count as an armed insurrection because they didn't have guns.

I guess molotov cocktails only count of you actually get to use them.  Roll Tide!

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/alabama-man-charged-possession-eleven-molotov-cocktails-found-near-protest-us-capitol

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You're comparing that to several thousand people breaking into the Capitol building hunting for the Vice President and United States Senators and assaulting police officers, killing one of them?

Username and all that

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That's one thing that is so annoying about today's conservatives.  When they can't win an argument on the merits, it's always a deflection to something else.  What about Hunter?  What about this riot or that riot?  

And that aligns with another thing.  Yes, the mainstream media has a leftward bent, but it's easy enough to be a critical reader and suss that out.

But "conservatives" now uncritically take in everything the approved right wing media spews.  It's so predictable it's astonishing.  Pro tip:  if the media is telling you what you want to hear, that's a sign to investigate just as surely as when they're telling you what you don't want to hear.  And if every single thing they tell you aligns with what you want to hear, you best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Making money on crypto isn’t embarrassing. Bragging about it on a message board is especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed (I admit that’s hard to decipher on this one) or the subject of the board.

It’s like landing in the baseball board on the thread talking about the rangers and announcing you just won 10k at the track. 

You asked what I contributed to this board. I told you. That’s why it came up. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

i like that cryptocurrency is somehow supposed to be in itself derisible and a source of embarassment.  like HAHA LOOK AT THAT GUY HE TALKS ABOUT NFT.  is this the digital version of reefer mania?

It’s not popular here for a handful for reasons. Most commonly, environmental concerns which are overblown. Also, at the heart of it most people here prefer centralized control of things. So a decentralized money that people that can control on their own is bad bad. If anyone wants to debate those points there are separate threads appropriate for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

FYI crypto is fairly political and more of a conservative/libertarian space. Not saying it is exclusive but majority of crypto traders are strong libertarians or conservatives. Probably the decentralized independent of govt nature of crypto attracts those types. So there is your tie into this thread. I think it is evidenced even here in this thread. Look at the ones loving on crypto vs the ones calling it the dutch tulip market or meme'ing it.

This is mostly true. One of the key tenets especially with bitcoin is self sovereignty. Not hard to see why that clashes with CR types. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

21 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So your goal for policies is zero casualties? Why aren’t you advocating for universal Covid testing and nailing positives inside their houses for 10-14 days (or until they die of course)

Seriously.  Our system is designed so that 100 guilty go free rather than one innocent be convicted (although a shitpile of innocent have been convicted).

I have zero qualms with what Chisholm said there.  And anyone who does is ate up with "tough on crime" and/or has very naive understandings of apprehension and conviction rates.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

You ask for money once, now I'm told I'll do anything for money. A bit of a stretch. 

Public debasement is pretty close to "anything" to me, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Not very bootstrappy for a rugged conservative...

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, VRHorn said:

Public debasement is pretty close to "anything" to me, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Not very bootstrappy for a rugged conservative...

I see why you have to be taxed to "give" money, i get that charities are a hard concept to get. Next you'll tell me you give, but when you do do ask a picture of the person you help to make fun of them? Do you laugh at the homeless? Those people debase themselves publicly every day in your eyes.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Stop it. You don't have to play so dumb on literally every topic.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/28/white-house-in-talks-to-pay-millions-to-families-separated-at-border/

You don't have to play dumb either.

• Fuck You 1