25th Amendment- 2nd Impeachment

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

You're right, but what alternative is there now?  Do nothing?  

Maybe you leverage Pence not to give the pardon somehow.  Maybe you say, Biden will give you a pardon, here it is, if you don't give Trump one.

The sense of urgency being shown by the Dems is as much about messaging as it is anything else. They must demonstrate to the nation that the people’s representatives will respond to threats on our democracy.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Of course, this is true.  It was basically "What if there's another JFK or Wilson and our President is rendered a vegetable."  

Impeachment doesn't work in the face of bald authoritarianism.  

There has to be a mechanism to prevent an organized crime syndicate from taking over the country again.  The citizenry can't be expected to do it (sarcasm).

Agreed, that's why I think the legislative is probably the best avenue.  Give that presiding justice some more power.  Let them approve the proceedings instead of leaving it up to the fucking majority leader that's in the same damn party as the president being impeached.  Find a way to disqualify senators that are obvious allies or co-conspirators for that president.  Something.  

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

The sense of urgency being shown by the Dems is as much about messaging as it is anything else. They must demonstrate to the nation that the people’s representatives will respond to threats on our democracy.

Agreed.  I believe I said this upthread.

50 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

When do Ossoff and Warnock get sworn in?  McConnell will still (I think) be majority leader until Jan. 20, but you'd possibly be forcing Pence to vote on impeachment, and maybe get some of the GOP senators or Pence to fucking do something about the 25th other than cowardly, anonymous leaks that it's "being considered."

Impeachment proceedings can last beyond Jan 20.

I mean they are definitely going to impeach again, the convict part can be quick or it can not. Has a president ever left office while being convicted? could be perfect timing, let the 20th happen, vote to convict on the 21st and disqualify him from office without having to remove. Seems like a win/win for the republican party.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Trump resigning is a pipe dream. That would be Trump admitting defeat, which he is fundamentally incapable of doing.

There is no reality in which Trump resigns.

If Trump can feel like he cheated the system and evaded federal prosecution (saving millions in legal fees) via resignation and Pence pardon, he will do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Satchel said:

They're serving him up what he wants.  He couldn't just resign out of weakness.  Now it looks like he's going down with the troops of his cause.  He leaves under a false sense of honor as head of MAGA.  Pence pardons him for a bunch of other unrelated shit.  Trump still looks emboldened.  He gets to leave with "dignity" instead of under a cloak of shame.  This is it folks, this is the long-game.  

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I actually think he fucked himself with the resign and let Pence pardon him move now. Pence would've done it before yesterday but I don't think he does now.

I agree.

Holy fuck was Pence pissed yesterday.  Donald Trump put his life in danger - it's one thing to embarrass him, cuck him, spit on him, tie him up and use his asshole, but Trump unleashed an angry mob on the building he was in. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Trump resigning is a pipe dream. That would be Trump admitting defeat, which he is fundamentally incapable of doing.

There is no reality in which Trump resigns.

He will never resign. His narcissism or whatever his mental illness is would never let him. He would eat a bullet before he would resign.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Wait.  Did he actually say he was going to resign?

No, was just discussing the speculation about that being a possibility. Before yesterday I thought that was probably the most likely end of the Trump presidency, because the validity of a self-pardon is completely unknown. Now though? Either he's impeached and removed or he invokes the Insurrection Act and we get to see if the military refuses his orders.

Edited by wildcat09

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Anything that puts Marco Rubio, Chuck Grassley, Rob Portman and Ron Johnson is jeopardy in 2022 would make so happy.

No Trump on the ballot + this albatross would be like striking gold for the Democrats. Not to mention, there's quite a few (though not a lot) of GOP representatives who won in Biden districts that were lucky this year, but won't be in 2022 without Trump. 

100% this.  Make these spineless fucks go on the record that POTUS stoking an insurrection during a transfer of power still doesn't meet the threshold for impeachment.  My God, if that isn't it then what is?

And Pelosi needs to quit tiptoeing around with this "consider" impeachment BS - either invoke the 25th or we will impeach.  If Trump does what Bolton suggests will happen when confronted by Pence, then it makes the case for impeachment even stronger.  You hang all the spineless GOP senators with an even stronger rope - you mean to tell me that the VP/cabinet invoked the 25th and you still don't think there is enough evidence that this man is unfit!? 

They should vote in the house tonight.  Everyone do the right thing for once in their lives.

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

No, was just discussing the speculation about that being a possibility. Before yesterday I thought that was probably the most likely end of the Trump presidency, because the validity of a self-pardon is completely unknown. Now though? Either he's impeached and removed or he invokes the Insurrection Act and we get to see if the military refuses his orders.

If he self pardons then it will be the duty of the Biden DOJ to test that in court with a criminal prosecution.  No way a precedent like that can go unchallenged. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If he self pardons then it will be the duty of the Biden DOJ to test that in court with a criminal prosecution.  No way a precedent like that can go unchallenged. 

Particularly after he tried to stage an insurrection. Yesterday also makes it less likely that John Roberts would find such a pardon valid (though Alito and Thomas surely don't give a shit).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I agree.

Holy fuck was Pence pissed yesterday.  Donald Trump put his life in danger - it's one thing to embarrass him, cuck him, spit on him, tie him up and use his asshole, but Trump unleashed an angry mob on the building he was in. 

Pence will do the most self serving politically expedient thing.  There’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

House house the votes to impeach. Senate needs to find 16 republican senators willing to convict (2/3 needed. 50 dems + 16 republican)

Right?

I guess I'll clarify for the thread in general - supermajority in the senate is 67. 

2/3 of 100 works out to 66.6 repeating. I suppose they could have gone with 66 but 67 is closer and that is the number as established by law. 

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I guess I'll clarify for the thread in general - supermajority in the senate is 67. 

2/3 of 100 works out to 66.6 repeating. I suppose they could have gone with 66 but 67 is closer and that is the number as established by law. 

There's a missing senate seat right now, so it's only 99 and that makes it 65, fwiw. 

1 hour ago, Hmbre97 said:

He should be impeached just based on the phone call that got leaked with the GA sec of state. Who knew he'd top that just a couple days later.

Absolutely.  The fact that something so horrible happened, at his direction, that we're not even talking about the fact that the POTUS pressured state election officials to commit fraud on his behalf to rig a presidential election is so amazingly Trump, so amazingly surreal yet at the same time "sure, of course that would happen," that I don't even know what to say anymore.

Get this guy out of there before he does something so awful that we stop talking about yesterday.  There's always a worse disgrace coming.  How many fucking reasons do we need?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

convicting him does? I think we were talking about 2 diff things. My SS question was just a curiosity 

No, I was just (trying to) say that denying him post-conviction SS protection doesn't really have any upside.  I agree that convicting him on impeachment has massive upside.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, I was just (trying to) say that denying him post-conviction SS protection doesn't really have any upside.  I agree that convicting him on impeachment has massive upside.

oh right, I was just wondering how that works for a convicted impeachment

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean, not having professional free bodyguards around him 100% of the time so he can be harassed, sucker punched, and is terrified to leave his compound even more than he would be seems like  a pretty big upside to my petty, vindictive, childish ass. 

• Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I agree.

Holy fuck was Pence pissed yesterday.  Donald Trump put his life in danger - it's one thing to embarrass him, cuck him, spit on him, tie him up and use his asshole, but Trump unleashed an angry mob on the building he was in. 

HIs wife, daughter, and brother were in the building as well.  His whole damn family was in danger.

This is all fascinating to me, and I know nothing next to nothing about it (why would I need to until now?). What if, say, Trump were to walk up to Pence and shoot him in the dick...Is there ANY mechanism that immediately removes a medically stable president, even temporarily, that doesn't require hearings, votes, the ability to have your objections counted, etc.?

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The goal here is not to get the GOP Senators to vote to remove but to get them to compel Trump to resign with the credible threat of a successful vote to remove.  Theoretically, the Senate should never vote to convict a President because resignation is always the better exit ramp. 

Bingo.  And while I'd rather he resign than be 25th-ed, with the threat of impeachment and having to put GOP Senators on the record, McConnell could also pressure Pence, whose political career is over anyway now, to invoke the 25th.  While impeachment is better than the 25th, at least with the 25th Trump wouldn't have access to the nukes or be able to command the military.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This is all fascinating to me, and I know nothing next to nothing about it (why would I need to until now?). What if, say, Trump were to walk up to Pence and shoot him in the dick...Is there ANY mechanism that immediately removes a medically stable president, even temporarily, that doesn't require hearings, votes, the ability to have your objections counted, etc.?

No, not immediately, but I'd be willing to bet if he did this, one or more law enforcement agency would detain him.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What if, say, Trump were to walk up to Pence and shoot him in the dick.

He would blame Antifa and OAN, Newsmax, and Fox would run with it along with all of his followers. 

They literally believe everything he says as gospel.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yup. at least everyone is on record (not that they weren't before)

Also this.  The last impeachment, while full warranted, was too esoteric for the general public.  This is inciting a fucking terrorist act on American soil against our very seat of government.  Any Senator that goes against this is supporting domestic terrorism.