News of the World

Asithappens

The new one with Tom Hanks. Pretty low key. Kinda a mashup of the Odyssey, Tender Mercies, and True Grit. It's good overall, imo, and excellent as a character study of Captain Kidd. (Hanks' role).

The girl does a good job as a feral white girl who was raised by the Kiowa. 

Kidd is on a quest. He doesn't know it at first, but he gets it done. 

I have been excited to see this movie for a month. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a touch disappointed.

For one, I absolutely can’t stand when the geography of a location, especially Texas, is depicted so wrong. I know it was filmed in New Mexico, so I figured most of it would take place in West Texas where the geography is pretty damn similar. But then they show mountains outside of Dallas? And a big fucking sandstorm somewhere just north of Castroville? Just bothers the hell out of me.

Story and acting were very good, although I kind of hoped he would have decided she belonged with the Kiowa, and then I guess adopted her. I guess I give it a 3 out of 5. I did love the dime buckshot scene though.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've seen more egregious locations chosen before. Overall I'd give it an okay job. There were a couple of times in the standoff where it reminded me of the area around Possum Kingdom with the rocks and crannies. Too bad they were supposed to be 100 miles away. I liked the movie. It's not your prototypical shoot 'em up western but it has it's moments. Plus, Hanks delivers as usual.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought it was outstanding, but I would probably watch a movie about Tom Hanks sitting in a lawn chair watching his grass grow.  I love gritty westerns and I don't think any movies really show the proper terrain for Texas.  Most people on this board get all giddy over movies that have flying men in long johns and a cape, but can't watch a movie that has mountains around Dallas

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked it.  I hate Tom Hanks more than most people and I really like Tom Hanks.

I just love Westerns including languid Westerns like this, and given I've spent a good part of my life driving down through Glen Rose down 281 , I just bought off on the story and accepted the forced locations.  It would have been much more realistic if he had stopped in at Koffee Kup on the way down.

Plus, the power of lowered expectations.  Which is pretty powerful.

In defense of the "mountains around Dallas" objection, this was set North of Wichita Falls. It's feasible they were in the Arbuckle mountains to the NE or the Wichita mountains to the NW. Both are under 60 miles from Wichita Falls and while small compared to the Rockies, they have impressive terrain.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I considered posting this on my other thread about my awesome brother, but put it here instead given it was his last movie.

Ok. Time to make this big announcement! Big for me at least
Today is the beginning of my next and likely last phase of my wacky life. I have officially left the movie biz and started my retirement. I'm not sure that I want to retire but sometimes the old body decides for you. Yesterday and today my Crew and I have begun dismantling all my gear and selling/ giving it all away. I'm stunned by all the stuff I have accumulated over 42 years. It feels good to let go but there is a sadness there too. Mostly I will miss the people. I was given an amazing send off this last Friday evening, at wrap by the entire crew and cast which brought tears, to me at least.
Thanks to all of you who helped make my career the epic thing that it was!
Carry on...

And such ends the career of John Patrick Pritchett, a man I look up to and whose many movies I have watched.  Godspeed brother.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:37 AM, RPM said:

In defense of the "mountains around Dallas" objection, this was set North of Wichita Falls. It's feasible they were in the Arbuckle mountains to the NE or the Wichita mountains to the NW. Both are under 60 miles from Wichita Falls and while small compared to the Rockies, they have impressive terrain.

Still would have been wrong geographically.  They went from WF east to Montage County.  Then headed south to Dallas.  At no point would those mountains have been remotely close to them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2021 at 6:13 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I have been excited to see this movie for a month. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a touch disappointed.

For one, I absolutely can’t stand when the geography of a location, especially Texas, is depicted so wrong. I know it was filmed in New Mexico, so I figured most of it would take place in West Texas where the geography is pretty damn similar. But then they show mountains outside of Dallas? And a big fucking sandstorm somewhere just north of Castroville? Just bothers the hell out of me.

Story and acting were very good, although I kind of hoped he would have decided she belonged with the Kiowa, and then I guess adopted her. I guess I give it a 3 out of 5. I did love the dime buckshot scene though.

5jo402.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, txhorns said:

Still would have been wrong geographically.  They went from WF east to Montage County.  Then headed south to Dallas.  At no point would those mountains have been remotely close to them.

Plus, they left Dallas and out of their way to go through Erath County. 

But I enjoyed the movie overall.    I called it early about his wife and I thought the girl was great.