Tennessee fires Jeremy Pruitt for cause, Fulmer to step down as AD, Josh Heupel hired

Machinator

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

What are we setting the over/under for NCAA still governing major college football at?  3.5 years?  Their lack of any guidelines or clarity around NIL (vague policies that are seemingly constantly changing and now in direct conflict with laws of multiple states), combined with now attempting to enforce "policy" at large programs, might be the nail in the coffin.   

Tennessee Chancellor agrees.     Link 2 is article about States of Tenn and Va filing a lawsuit vs the NCAA.

“The leaders of intercollegiate athletics owe it to student-athletes and their families to establish clear rules and to act in their best interest," she said. "Instead, two and a half years of vague and contradictory NCAA memos, emails and ‘guidance’ about name, image and likeness (NIL) has created extraordinary chaos that student-athletes and institutions are struggling to navigate. In short, the NCAA is failing.”

“Regrettably, in this chaotic environment, the NCAA enforcement staff is trying to retroactively apply unclear guidance to punish and make an example of our institution and others,” Plowman said in the email.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2024/01/30/tennessee-nil-investigation-ncaa-email-donde-plowman-spyre-collective/72283786007/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/state-of-tennessee-sues-ncaa-over-legality-of-nil-guidelines-amid-investigation-into-volunteers/

4 hours ago, torre said:

Tennessee Chancellor agrees.     Link 2 is article about States of Tenn and Va filing a lawsuit vs the NCAA.

“The leaders of intercollegiate athletics owe it to student-athletes and their families to establish clear rules and to act in their best interest," she said. "Instead, two and a half years of vague and contradictory NCAA memos, emails and ‘guidance’ about name, image and likeness (NIL) has created extraordinary chaos that student-athletes and institutions are struggling to navigate. In short, the NCAA is failing.”

“Regrettably, in this chaotic environment, the NCAA enforcement staff is trying to retroactively apply unclear guidance to punish and make an example of our institution and others,” Plowman said in the email.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2024/01/30/tennessee-nil-investigation-ncaa-email-donde-plowman-spyre-collective/72283786007/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/state-of-tennessee-sues-ncaa-over-legality-of-nil-guidelines-amid-investigation-into-volunteers/

We just told the NCAA to suck out dick from the back. 

• Like 2

“It would have been my preference to discuss my concerns with you in person,” Plowman said to Baker in the email. “Your recent testimony before Congress indicated you wanted to meet with as many member institutions and student-athletes as possible to discuss issues associated with college sports.

“I am sharing my perspective in writing since my December request for you to meet with me and our athletics director, Danny White, was denied.”

Now go get your shine box

This has kicked my thinking into overdrive, dunno why.

But what could the NCAA really do if a major program just ignored them and told them to fuck off in light of any type of "punishment" they tried to levy?

For example, scholarship reduction. The program either flat out ignores it, or pulls some type of "workaround." Bowl ban? Playoff games aren't bowls, other than those associated in name only.

What can they really do? It's not like they have judicial powers, and lawsuits would be ugly as well as a bad can of worms to open. I'm not sure the NCAA would want a savvy law team putting them into discovery.

Would a conference care at this point? Would it actually light the fuse to blow it all up?

I'm not sure we really know at this point, but I'll grab the popcorn when it happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

This has kicked my thinking into overdrive, dunno why.

But what could the NCAA really do if a major program just ignored them and told them to fuck off in light of any type of "punishment" they tried to levy?

For example, scholarship reduction. The program either flat out ignores it, or pulls some type of "workaround." Bowl ban? Playoff games aren't bowls, other than those associated in name only.

What can they really do? It's not like they have judicial powers, and lawsuits would be ugly as well as a bad can of worms to open. I'm not sure the NCAA would want a savvy law team putting them into discovery.

Would a conference care at this point? Would it actually light the fuse to blow it all up?

I'm not sure we really know at this point, but I'll grab the popcorn when it happens.

With NIL who gives a fuck about scholarships. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The key person to watch here is Greg Sankey. Tennessee had a well-coordinated and planned counteroffensive ready to go once this story broke. You don’t just generate a 20 page federal anti-trust suit on ChatGPT in less than 24 hours, much less with an entirely different state joining in on it. This suggests to me that the SEC is ultimately going to be behind them, and there is message board chatter from posters who have connections that Plowman has Sankey’s backing in this effort. 

The reports are the NCAA has up to 20 similar NIL-related investigations against other schools in the works, which looks like a rear-guard, last ditch attempt to assert control that has been slipping away from them the last few years. At some point, Greg Sankey may sit down with Charlie Baker and say:

giphy.gif.e813a4a900797ea321bc03eded420b0b.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

The key person to watch here is Greg Sankey. Tennessee had a well-coordinated and planned counteroffensive ready to go once this story broke. You don’t just generate a 20 page federal anti-trust suit on ChatGPT in less than 24 hours, much less with an entirely different state joining in on it. This suggests to me that the SEC is ultimately going to be behind them, and there is message board chatter from posters who have connections that Plowman has Sankey’s backing in this effort. 

The reports are the NCAA has up to 20 similar NIL-related investigations against other schools in the works, which looks like a rear-guard, last ditch attempt to assert control that has been slipping away from them the last few years. At some point, Greg Sankey may sit down with Charlie Baker and say:

giphy.gif.e813a4a900797ea321bc03eded420b0b.gif

We have been waiting on this since the summer and Vol Nation and Vol Twitter are ready. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The NCAA has no way to fight this - they know the Supreme Court is ready to rip it apart into shreds and make it pay everyone for everything. Might as well give up before being forced into what they view as draconian factors. 

IMO this doesn't have anything to do with the payment of players or value of said players. This is about inducing and contractually obligating a player to your university prior to signing. 

58 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Going back and retroactively trying to change rules is a bad look and will happen to every school. Glad we have strong leadership because that wasn’t the case until 4 years ago. 

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/6/30/ncaa-adopts-interim-name-image-and-likeness-policy.aspx

I think this is the initial release.  

image.png

Here is the clarification of interim rules released a year later. 

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/10/26/media-center-di-board-approves-clarifications-for-interim-nil-policy.aspx

image.png.e76207c08f85da3e58c4b9559bd0136d.png

image.png.b2053a73679ccf416cfecaf37b53efad.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO this doesn't have anything to do with the payment of players or value of said players. This is about inducing and contractually obligating a player to your university prior to signing. 

Not disagreeing. IMO this only ends when football is no longer under the NCAA control and players/NIL have no affiliation with scholarships (ie schools can do their own funding however they want for players). This week's Yahoo Sports CFB podcast basically has my view - football will sooner rather than later be alone while the NCAA controls the basketball tourney - doing that is about the only way they can maintain any sense of being a powerful overseeing agency. 

41 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

There is a hearing tomorrow. NCAA is trying to tell Tennessee that Tennessee doesn't know Tennessee law. Makes sense

I mean it does....Tennessee fans are adament that Spyre Sports has not affiliation to Tennessee. They also seem to think this is about how much money or paying Nico and not understanding it's about the inducement of Nico to Tennessee via the deal.

Although this is reality.

image.png.4f02d4f856f244fc2a91cbc8d54b1627.png

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Tennessee thinks that because Nico signed his deal in California with Spyre that it somehow alleviates them of affiliation.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

There is a hearing tomorrow. NCAA is trying to tell Tennessee that Tennessee doesn't know Tennessee law. Makes sense

Texas A&M fucked around and found out. I have no problem believing Tennessee could do the same.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:57 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't see what Sherman Act has to do with what NCAA is saying Tennessee did. NCAA isn't saying you paid him so much or the length. It's the inducement of the deal. 

"Your honor, restricting timing of NIL deals reduces player leverage.  Players have maximum leverage before they sign and enroll."

"So you are saying that players have the most NIL leverage when they are only recognizable to a small number of people, mostly recruiting board fans?"

"Yes, your honor, because we are not paying them for the marketability of their NIL."

"Then what are they being paid for?"

"To sign, enroll, and play for the University of Tennessee."

"And this is legal in Tennessee?"

"Technically, no, your honor, it is not.  But we are also using legal pretenses... carefully worded contracts and such, you honor... so that we can pretend to not be doing that."

----

I'm not taking a stance either way, just pointing out the absurdity of the situation.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

"Your honor, restricting timing of NIL deals reduces player leverage.  Players have maximum leverage before they sign and enroll."

"So you are saying that players have the most NIL leverage when they are only recognizable to a small number of people, mostly recruiting board fans?"

"Yes, your honor, because we are not paying them for the marketability of their NIL."

"Then what are they being paid for?"

"To sign, enroll, and play for the University of Tennessee."

"And this is legal in Tennessee?"

"Technically, no, your honor, it is not.  But we are also using legal pretenses... carefully worded contracts and such, you honor... so that we can pretend to not be doing that."

----

I'm not taking a stance either way, just pointing out the absurdity of the situation.

I mean this is essentially what’s happening. 

• 2 weeks later...