Class of 2022 QB Talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

I also find it interesting that he credits Day as a QB developer and then references Day's one year as an Eagles OC and Matt Ryan.  I suppose Sark's two years with Matt at Atlanta or his time with Raiders would be over par?  Not to mention the long list of QB's Sark has worked with all along the way at USC and Bama.  Quinn's point made sense when Herman was there.  It no longer does.  His decommit was the right move at the time.  It no longer is.  Also, someone needs to ask Vince to call mom and ask to take them both fishing or to buy some Wranglers.    

He has the opportunity to be the next Vince at Texas or be part of a really good team in a shit town.  His choice.  Sucks for his mom.  

Edited by RollLeft

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

I also find it interesting that he credits Day as a QB developer and then references Day's one year as an Eagles OC and Matt Ryan.  I suppose Sark's two years with Matt at Atlanta or his time with Raiders would be over par?  Not to mention the long list of QB's Sark has worked with all along the way at USC and Bama.  Quinn's point made sense when Herman was there.  It no longer does.  His decommit was the right move at the time.  It no longer is.  Also, someone needs to ask Vince to call mom and ask to take them both fishing or to buy some Wranglers.    

He has the opportunity to be the next Vince at Texas.  He will be part of a really good team at tOSU.  His choice.  Sucks for his mom.  

They're both good QB developers. It's kind of a wash, and Sark has more unanswered questions at HC. Obviously if he brought UT back to glory, he'd be much more of a legend, but it's not as much of a sure thing.

Isn't his mom's side the Sooner side of the family?

Edited by texifornia

2002 New Hampshire (TE)
2003–2004 Boston College (GA)
2005 Florida (GA)
2006 Temple (WR)
2007–2011 Boston College (WR)
2012 Temple (OC/WR)
2013–2014 Boston College (OC/QB)
2015 Philadelphia Eagles (QB)
2016 San Francisco 49ers (QB)
2017 Ohio State (co-OC/QB)
2018 Ohio State (acting HC/OC/QB)
2019–present Ohio State

Playing career
1993–1994 El Camino College
1995–1996 BYU
1997–1999 Saskatchewan Roughriders
Position(s) Quarterback
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2000 El Camino College (QB)
2001–2003 USC (QB)
2004 Oakland Raiders (QB)
2005–2006 USC (QB)
2007–2008 USC (AHC/OC/QB)
2009–2013 Washington
2014–2015 USC
2016 Alabama (OA)
2016 Alabama (interim OC)
2017–2018 Atlanta Falcons (OC)
2019–2020 Alabama (OC/QB)
2021–present Texas

I don't quite see it as a wash, but ok. 

The argument is development, not head coaching, according to Quinn.  If coaching, Day has only completed his second year as a head football coach.  He took a veteran tOSU team that Urban recruited to play Clemson in the title game and lost.  That same team then played for another National Championship, after a short Covid year, and got smoked.  Day has benefitted from a full cupboard and shortened season.  

Day getting the credit for that cupboard and getting better recruits now, than Urban ever did, on a well run machine sucks.  Ryan Day couldn't come here, on his resume, and do what Sark is doing. 

Again if our argument is development I'm not arguing Day is not good but what is the proof?  Fields?  Didn't a lesser Mac Jones go pro in the first round right along with Fields?    Matt Ryan?  Didn't Sark also have two years with Matty Statue? How many more can Sark list?  Several.

I'm not sold Day is any better than Sark and in my opinion Sark has a longer and more recent history of developing WINNING national championship QB's.  First round in back to back years. 

The state of the program is the difference.  tOSU has been in THE game the last two years.  Texas has been fucking around with Kendra Scott.   

All i'm saying is Quinn's argument made sense at the time.  It no longer does.  If his argument is i want to go where more 5 stars are going i'd understand the argument but i'm not sold on Day being a better coach or developer.   

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The state of the program is the difference.  tOSU has been in THE game the last two years.  Texas has been fucking around with Kendra Scott.   

All i'm saying is Quinn's argument made sense at the time.  It no longer does.  If his argument is i want to go where more 5 stars are going i'd understand the argument but i'm not sold on Day being a better coach or developer.   

End of the discussion, really.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:
2002 New Hampshire (TE)
2003–2004 Boston College (GA)
2005 Florida (GA)
2006 Temple (WR)
2007–2011 Boston College (WR)
2012 Temple (OC/WR)
2013–2014 Boston College (OC/QB)
2015 Philadelphia Eagles (QB)
2016 San Francisco 49ers (QB)
2017 Ohio State (co-OC/QB)
2018 Ohio State (acting HC/OC/QB)
2019–present Ohio State

Playing career
1993–1994 El Camino College
1995–1996 BYU
1997–1999 Saskatchewan Roughriders
Position(s) Quarterback
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2000 El Camino College (QB)
2001–2003 USC (QB)
2004 Oakland Raiders (QB)
2005–2006 USC (QB)
2007–2008 USC (AHC/OC/QB)
2009–2013 Washington
2014–2015 USC
2016 Alabama (OA)
2016 Alabama (interim OC)
2017–2018 Atlanta Falcons (OC)
2019–2020 Alabama (OC/QB)
2021–present Texas

I don't quite see it as a wash, but ok. 

The argument is development, not head coaching, according to Quinn.  If coaching, Day has only completed his second year as a head football coach.  He took a veteran tOSU team that Urban recruited to play Clemson in the title game and lost.  That same team then played for another National Championship, after a short Covid year, and got smoked.  Day has benefitted from a full cupboard and shortened season.  

Day getting the credit for that cupboard and getting better recruits now, than Urban ever did, on a well run machine sucks.  Ryan Day couldn't come here, on his resume, and do what Sark is doing. 

Again if our argument is development I'm not arguing Day is not good but what is the proof?  Fields?  Didn't a lesser Mac Jones go pro in the first round right along with Fields?    Matt Ryan?  Didn't Sark also have two years with Matty Statue? How many more can Sark list?  Several.

I'm not sold Day is any better than Sark and in my opinion Sark has a longer and more recent history of developing WINNING national championship QB's.  First round in back to back years. 

This response is strictly regarding the bold: tough for Sark to lay claim to the development of a guy who won an MVP before Sark ever met him.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

This response is strictly regarding the bold: tough for Sark to lay claim to the development of a guy who won an MVP before Sark ever met him.

Noted but neither can one argue some college nobody, from Michigan, is responsible for Tom Brady being the GOAT?  

It’s comes down to winning.  Our program has been in the gutter.  Ohio state is making the CFP almost every year and send players to the league draft after draft.  Quinn wants to be a part of a winning team.  I don’t blame him.  The dude committed to Texas and we shit the bed with a senior QB and loaded roster.  Obviously I wish this guy loved Texas enough to come here and change our program, but that’s not the case.

Luckily we’ve got a QB with an elite arm in Hudson Card.  Sark needs to fucking win this year and show an elite offense.  If he does that, we’ll get Arch Manning and no one will complain about Ewers leaving for tOSU.  If we have a 7-8 win season again, I expect more of the same…. We’ll land top 10-15 classes and be a tier behind the elite programs and cycle through another coach in a few years.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It’s comes down to winning.  Our program has been in the gutter.  Ohio state is making the CFP almost every year and send players to the league draft after draft.  Quinn wants to be a part of a winning team.  I don’t blame him.  The dude committed to Texas and we shit the bed with a senior QB and loaded roster.  Obviously I wish this guy loved Texas enough to come here and change our program, but that’s not the case.

Luckily we’ve got a QB with an elite arm in Hudson Card.  Sark needs to fucking win this year and show an elite offense.  If he does that, we’ll get Arch Manning and no one will complain about Ewers leaving for tOSU.  If we have a 7-8 win season again, I expect more of the same…. We’ll land top 10-15 classes and be a tier behind the elite programs and cycle through another coach in a few years.

We'll be fine with Maalik as the '22 QB

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I look forward to this season. Day has to break in a new QB.  Let's see how the recruits handle an unexpected tOSU loss.  That will be tasty.  

I'm for whoever has the grit, no sunshine and fkn balls to put the team on its back when its all or nothing on the line.  Give me that guy.  Casey or Card.  It makes no shit to me. 

Maalik throws a beatiful fucking ball.  I like him tons.  I just haven't seen enough adversity or interviews to get a sense of his makeup. 

Quinn is a natural at what he does/is a winner.  

As for Manning.  I love the name and family and all.  I am a huge Peyton fan, but i'd be lying if i said i knew enough about the kid to be high on him. 

Let's go Terps fk up the Bucks.    

Edited by RollLeft

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I'll pass on the pussy who doesn't have the confidence in himself to think, "I'm going to elevate this historic program to heights not seen before. I am going to bust my ass off to get people to come to Texas knowing they are going to build a monster." The kid wants to be part of a winning team? Great, good for him. Knock yourself out.

But, give me the kid with the brains, the balls, the will to win and the courage and confidence to know that THAT is exactly what he is going to do.

Be a Legend at Texas or just another good quarterback at Bucknuts.

2 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

I'll pass on the pussy who doesn't have the confidence in himself to think, "I'm going to elevate this historic program to heights not seen before. I am going to bust my ass off to get people to come to Texas knowing they are going to build a monster." The kid wants to be part of a winning team? Great, good for him. Knock yourself out.

But, give me the kid with the brains, the balls, the will to win and the courage and confidence to know that THAT is exactly what he is going to do.

man this really sounds like the shit aggy said when they would strike out to Mack and gobble up District all-stars.

Kid wants to go to a better program right now, that's fine.  Texas will not be continuing the same shit direction we've seen for the past decade.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

man this really sounds like the shit aggy said when they would strike out to Mack and gobble up District all-stars.

Kid wants to go to a better program right now, that's fine.  Texas will not be continuing the same shit direction we've seen for the past decade.

The difference is that aggy never backed it up. Vince, Colt did.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Take it further, if he signs with any P5 program he is a bitch. Don't be a pussy, sign with Texas State, build a monster and elevate that program to the national stage if you are such a hotshot! Wanting to go to a program you feel maximizes your career potential is a big red-flag for mental toughness imo.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

I hate myself for thinking about this enough to ask: do we think they're putting the 50% season weight on each daily ranking or wait til the final ranking to apply it?

If past years are an indicator the underrated guy killing it the entire camp will get jumped on the last day by the #1 or #2 ranked QB for no apparent reason

• Hook 'Em 1

Edited to note this may just be SI’s interpretation, and they are apparently the new Bleacher Report:

I keep seeing different ways to evaluate the Elite 11, but according to this article, it just wrapped and regarding ONLY camp performance, Cade KlubKid was #1, and Maalik Murphy was #2. Of course, once you add in the other 50% bullshit, the mullet will skyrocket to #1.

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/elite-11-2021-final-composite-rankings-cade-klubnik

2. Maalik Murphy (Texas)

Day one ranking: 2

Day two ranking: 11

Day three ranking: 1

The film evaluation for Maalik Murphy as a college prospect may seem shaky, as he lacks production and substantial game experience. But if his performance at the Elite 11 Finals suggested anything, his game is littered with untapped potential.

The most impressive physical specimen on site, Murphy displayed one of the strongest arms on the group and surprisingly solid accuracy to pair over the week, also gelling with his receivers and making well-timed tosses. Touch and anticipation for throwing windows should continue to progress as Murphy develops in Steve Sarkisian's offense at Texas, but the Longhorns have everything to work with when it comes to the Gardena (Calif.) Serra product.

(Ewers 6, Weigman 7)

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 5

A 247 evaluation doesn’t have Murphy in the top 11, so there seems to be a big difference in opinion. They, too put Klubnik first.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/LongFormArticle/elite-11-2021-finals-rankings-quinn-ewers-cade-klubnik-drew-allar-conner-weigman-devin-brown-football-recruiting-quarterbacks-167372966/#167372966_1

49 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

A 247 evaluation doesn’t have Murphy in the top 11, so there seems to be a big difference in opinion. They, too put Klubnik first.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/LongFormArticle/elite-11-2021-finals-rankings-quinn-ewers-cade-klubnik-drew-allar-conner-weigman-devin-brown-football-recruiting-quarterbacks-167372966/#167372966_1

Now that Klubnik has committed to Clemson, expect his ranking to rise a bunch by the recruiting sites

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Quinn Ewers had a sports hernia injury he was recovering from during the title game. We might not like him, but he is tough.

https://247sports.com/Article/Quinn-Ewers-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-recruiting-Texas-High-School-football-playoffs-157804074/

Klub couldn't throw all week prior to the championship game iirc.. he hurt his shoulder the previous game

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Westlake had a more complete team so it was hard to compare the two on that one performance. That being said, I certainly didn't think Ewers was far and away the best QB watching that game. 

I attended the game and came away very impressed with Ewers. Best pure thrower I've ever seen at the HS level. Klubnik offers the added dimension of being a sneaky-fast runner and Westlake was a better team, but Ewers put up 34 points on our Chaps D that gave up 71 for all previous games. Ewers was recovering from a sports hernia but Cade separated his shoulder the previous game vs North Shore and did not throw the week of the championship. Klubnik deserved the MVP award and tore Carroll a new one, but I would take either QBs in a heartbeat. I'll reserve my opinion about Murphy and I really hope he pans out for us, but I am no fan of "highlights" that have nothing to do with actual football games.  

Here's a great article about how Todd Dodge turns good quarterbacks into great quarterbacks. Notice it's less abut pure athletic ability and more about how to read the game and leadership. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-to-train-championship-quarterback-todd-dodge?fbclid=IwAR2m6uQGclBkic4XQQaGMVKy_Wk_7QrciqeX6RY2LeSL7hRIFWKN3bs-aHk

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I attended the game and came away very impressed with Ewers. Best pure thrower I've ever seen at the HS level. Klubnik offers the added dimension of being a sneaky-fast runner and Westlake was a better team, but Ewers put up 34 points on our Chaps D that gave up 71 for all previous games. Ewers was recovering from a sports hernia but Cade separated his shoulder the previous game vs North Shore and did not throw the week of the championship. Klubnik deserved the MVP award and tore Carroll a new one, but I would take either QBs in a heartbeat. I'll reserve my opinion about Murphy and I really hope he pans out for us, but I am no fan of "highlights" that have nothing to do with actual football games.  

Here's a great article about how Todd Dodge turns good quarterbacks into great quarterbacks. Notice it's less abut pure athletic ability and more about how to read the game and leadership. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-to-train-championship-quarterback-todd-dodge?fbclid=IwAR2m6uQGclBkic4XQQaGMVKy_Wk_7QrciqeX6RY2LeSL7hRIFWKN3bs-aHk

Yeah really wish we locked down Klubnik and Murphy. He’s a pretty good fit for Sarks offense and honestly I hate watching local talent dominate at some other school. Still pisses me off Foles, Swope, Perine and Bryce Hager weren’t Longhorns. Shit Tanner Price would’ve been a better take than Connor Wood and Case. Oh well 

• Hook 'Em 1