Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am more annoyed after rewatching it, because a lot of the pain was self-inflicted. People  have hammered the coverage bust on the last series, which cant happen.. The QB run was probably the biggest factor in the OU win...  This is example of why it worked. 

This is 40+ yard run. Watch Murphy. It looks like he is stunting into opposite A gap. Nobody is replacing him so I doubt it. 

image.png.55b72502310804aa28d4770026ffc87e.png

image.png.cc41324f66c62c6548b28cdfa81c2f79.png

He is now on the other side of the center. 

Now the seas have parted

image.png.a0d8ca766758e8254a2840663c293f15.png

Ford compounds it by missing the open field tackle.  Just poor discipline. It is from a guy with 3 years experience in the 4Q of game where the QB has hurt Texas all game running the ball. This is not the only example of guys getting out of their pass rushing lanes. 

I saw something that Ford played all 81 snaps on defense?

Ford was not good, no argument.  He's played much, much better.  Even the best, most athletic defender looks slow when they're indecisive, and OU put Ford in conflict enough between the run fits and pass coverage to make him indecisive.  PK didn't help him much either.  Ant Hill played better both because he's a better athlete but he also was more decisive even when he was wrong (which he was a few times).  

Seems like we really wanted to flood the 7-15 yard between the hashes area to discourage the drag routes and mid-breaking plays that are DG's favorite area and force him to use his arm to the outside.  That created a big linebacker issue because 1) DG was able to make the outside throws enough, 2) he scrambled and had enough designed runs that our linebackers were flatfooted and worried about giving up that middle third.  Also contributing here: poor gap control on the D-line and also credit to OU's scheme to get the ball out quick which negates a lot of the pass rush.

If we get the rematch I'd love to see a defensive scheme the next time that prioritizes:

1. Interior D-line gap control especially up the middle - no up the middle scrambles
  2. D-line edge doesn't over pursue - never, ever should the edges get north of the QB, force all scrambles to the sides and cut the field in half for the QB and defense
  3. 3/4 alignment - more speed on the field, more disguised pressures
  4. More blitzes from more places, especially in the middle
  5. Potentially spy DG - Ant Hill would be good here as he was on Milroe in the Alabama game
  6. More man free - if we're blitzing it's going to be risk/reward and the DBs need to hang on for a few seconds until we get to him.  We know that DG can pick the zone apart.  But if we don't have pocket integrity we're dead b/c those DBs are running with their backs turned and if DG slips the blitz he's running for 30+ yards :( 

I just think zone is probably not gonna work out awesome with a QB that accurate who gets it out that fast.

9 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Ford was not good, no argument.  He's played much, much better.  Even the best, most athletic defender looks slow when they're indecisive, and OU put Ford in conflict enough between the run fits and pass coverage to make him indecisive.  PK didn't help him much either.  Ant Hill played better both because he's a better athlete but he also was more decisive even when he was wrong (which he was a few times).  

Seems like we really wanted to flood the 7-15 yard between the hashes area to discourage the drag routes and mid-breaking plays that are DG's favorite area and force him to use his arm to the outside.  That created a big linebacker issue because 1) DG was able to make the outside throws enough, 2) he scrambled and had enough designed runs that our linebackers were flatfooted and worried about giving up that middle third.  Also contributing here: poor gap control on the D-line and also credit to OU's scheme to get the ball out quick which negates a lot of the pass rush.

If we get the rematch I'd love to see a defensive scheme the next time that prioritizes:

1. Interior D-line gap control especially up the middle - no up the middle scrambles
  2. D-line edge doesn't over pursue - never, ever should the edges get north of the QB, force all scrambles to the sides and cut the field in half for the QB and defense
  3. 3/4 alignment - more speed on the field, more disguised pressures
  4. More blitzes from more places, especially in the middle
  5. Potentially spy DG - Ant Hill would be good here as he was on Milroe in the Alabama game
  6. More man free - if we're blitzing it's going to be risk/reward and the DBs need to hang on for a few seconds until we get to him.  We know that DG can pick the zone apart.  But if we don't have pocket integrity we're dead b/c those DBs are running with their backs turned and if DG slips the blitz he's running for 30+ yards :( 

I just think zone is probably not gonna work out awesome with a QB that accurate who gets it out that fast.

PK:

airplane-thats-what-they-expect.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I am more annoyed after rewatching it, because a lot of the pain was self-inflicted. People  have hammered the coverage bust on the last series, which cant happen.. The QB run was probably the biggest factor in the OU win...  This is example of why it worked. 

This is 40+ yard run. Watch Murphy. It looks like he is stunting into opposite A gap. Nobody is replacing him so I doubt it. 

image.png.55b72502310804aa28d4770026ffc87e.png

image.png.cc41324f66c62c6548b28cdfa81c2f79.png

He is now on the other side of the center. 

Now the seas have parted

image.png.a0d8ca766758e8254a2840663c293f15.png

Ford compounds it by missing the open field tackle.  Just poor discipline. It is from a guy with 3 years experience in the 4Q of game where the QB has hurt Texas all game running the ball. This is not the only example of guys getting out of their pass rushing lanes. 

This play is also is a bit foreboding. As you can see Sorrell on attacking the outside shoulder of the OT (75) and Gbenda looping around him (2nd picture). Very similar to the last play of the game where Brooks and Burke were both blocked by the OT 

Edited by Codaxx

Interesting article on Jeff Choate and his son

"Family and football: A college player, a Texas coach and The Brotherhood of the Gridiron"

Former Montana State stalwart Jory Choate, current Texas assistant and father, Jeff Choate, lend priceless view into the life of football

By John Brice     Oct. 18th

https://footballscoop.com/news/family-and-football-a-college-player-a-texas-coach-and-the-brotherhood-of-the-gridiron

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting article on Jeff Choate and his son

"Family and football: A college player, a Texas coach and The Brotherhood of the Gridiron"

Former Montana State stalwart Jory Choate, current Texas assistant and father, Jeff Choate, lend priceless view into the life of football

By John Brice     Oct. 18th

https://footballscoop.com/news/family-and-football-a-college-player-a-texas-coach-and-the-brotherhood-of-the-gridiron

Here's the tweet...

Anyone want to discuss the pros and cons of going to a 3 DL defense against mobile quarterbacks?  Coach Erwin on the IT youtube videos has been mentioning it.

My understanding is you would be giving up the chance at edge pressure, and would have to be careful about setting the edge against the run, but you could prevent interior gaps for the QB to scramble through, and have a LB close behind the LOS to clean things up in case he did.

2 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Anyone want to discuss the pros and cons of going to a 3 DL defense against mobile quarterbacks?  Coach Erwin on the IT youtube videos has been mentioning it.

My understanding is you would be giving up the chance at edge pressure, and would have to be careful about setting the edge against the run, but you could prevent interior gaps for the QB to scramble through, and have a LB close behind the LOS to clean things up in case he did.

I would like to see a comparison of how a 3-3-5 defense compares to the 4-2-5 counterpart in that regard. Arkansas and Iowa State would be good case studies. 

However, it’s always been more advantageous for Texas to use a 4 DL scheme, due to in-state talent being more plentiful in DLs over LBs. 

I would like to see a comparison of how a 3-3-5 defense compares to the 4-2-5 counterpart in that regard. Arkansas and Iowa State would be good case studies. 

However, it’s always been more advantageous for Texas to use a 4 DL scheme, due to in-state talent being more plentiful in DLs over LBs. 

In Big 12 I like 3-3 because the league allows holding with impunity. Your edges get neutralized. You can disguise coverages and blitzes better. For mobile QBs, you might get more dudes on the field that can rundown a QB.

Downside is recruiting. At the end of the day, it dont make a shit. We’re getting out of this chickenshit outfit and stockpiling line talent.

24 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In Big 12 I like 3-3 because the league allows holding with impunity. Your edges get neutralized. You can disguise coverages and blitzes better. For mobile QBs, you might get more dudes on the field that can rundown a QB.

Downside is recruiting. At the end of the day, it dont make a shit. We’re getting out of this chickenshit outfit and stockpiling line talent.

I’m curious to see how much being in the SEC will help us recruit elite LB talent. If you have absolute “dudes” at all levels of the defense, it probably doesn’t make a huge difference between 3-3 and 4-2.

• Like 1

Starting see/hear more talk about the 2023 Texas defense being overrated because their stats in first 6 games are skewed.  

• Rice is not that good. 
  • Played back-up QBs of baylor, wyoming, and kansas
  • Not generating much of a pass rush
  • Tackling struggles and not causing fumbles
  • Safeties and LBs are liabilities in pass coverage

I'm convinced that the success of this year's Texas team will be determined by an improving offense. The defense just may not be that good. Sark has to be more aggressive with his playcalling, and get the fuckin' red zone scoring solved.

I won't be surprised to see Texas in higher scoring shootout type games against tcu, kstate, cyclones, and tech.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Starting see/hear more talk about the 2023 Texas defense being overrated because their stats in first 6 games are skewed.  

• Rice is not that good. 
  • Played back-up QBs of baylor, wyoming, and kansas

I'm convinced that the success of this year's Texas team will be determined by an improving offense. The defense just may not be that good. Sark has to be more aggressive with his playcalling, and get the fuckin' red zone scoring solved.

I won't be surprised to see Texas in higher scoring shootout type games against tcu, kstate, cyclones, and tech.

I also want to see PK get more aggressive with blitzes in the next 6 games too.  No more bend but don't break defense bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Bend-don't-break works fine, as long as the O keeps you up by two scores. Clearly, our O is not doing the job. Moar points needed, but that's another thread, innit?

Yeah "moar" points, and "moar" aggressive blitzing defense is a better formula now.  

Yeah "moar" points, and "moar" aggressive blitzing defense is a better formula now.  

When our dudes don’t finish on the blitzes, it won’t encourage the call.

Remember Muhammad completely whiffing versus KU? Watts versus Bama last year? Really in 2021 to now our DBs have not been good at finishing. Ford isn’t a good pass rusher.

Just last game our blitzes were failures.

Now, if we have Hill and Catalon as blitzing LBs in pass rushing situations, you might have something. Gbenda might be useful. Per pff Catalon has not blitzed on pass downs.

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

When our dudes don’t finish on the blitzes, it won’t encourage the call.  Remember Muhammad completely whiffing versus KU? Watts versus Bama last year? Really in 2021 to now our DBs have not been good at finishing. Ford isn’t a good pass rusher.

Now, if we have Hill and Catalon as blitzing LBs in pass rushing situations, you might have something. Gbenda might be useful. Per pff Catalon has not blitzed on pass downs.

Valid stuff -- then it's up to PK to fix the fuckin' blitzes.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

talk about Texas defense being overrated 

Yeah.  Sark is gonna have to unleash his offense and outscore teams... lots of problems on Texas defense hidden by playing Rice, 3 teams back-up QBs, and a terrible bama offense.  

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

When our dudes don’t finish on the blitzes, it won’t encourage the call.  Remember Muhammad completely whiffing versus KU? Watts versus Bama last year? Really in 2021 to now our DBs have not been good at finishing. Ford isn’t a good pass rusher.

We finally got a blitz to work... caused a fumble

• immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

As I said many times upthread, our pass defense is total shit and it’s been obvious all year to anyone watching with a modicum of common sense.  But then @Burt Macklinstrolled in confidently (yet full of shit as always) to tell us ignorant rubes that according to advanced stats, we’re overreacting and everything is fine on defense. 

Do you have any stocks you like Burt?  I’ll be sure to short them.