To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Kermit

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Also, I’ve never even given a position on the issue and the first time I saw the tweets was this thread. 

Im simply defending his right to ask a question. DGAF about Gina. 

Well aren't you a fucking hero.

Without reading the rest of the thread, I'm assuming you're bitching about free speech again without understanding how it works.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

not your best metaphor. 

Probably because it's an analogy.  But it's okay, you're stoned and I had to study Strunk & White in law school.  

Just now, BHMCruiser said:

FWIW, whenever you are about to say something about the Holocaust, or "The Jews," you really do want to be careful about how you word things. That one's on her.

Or maybe, I dunno, don't even post it because what good is it going to do especially after you've been told to reign in your tweets. 

FWIW, whenever you are about to say something about the Holocaust, or "The Jews," you really do want to be careful about how you word things. That one's on her.

Exactly. She has a history of problematic tweets (you can just Google it if you're interested) but was STILL in the show and still lined up to have her own show with Disney. All she had to do was not compare being a Republican to being a Jew in the Holocaust and she was golden.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Well aren't you a fucking hero.

Without reading the rest of the thread, I'm assuming you're bitching about free speech again without understanding how it works.

I'd say half the people chiming in against Disney/cancel culture have no fucking idea who Gina Carano is and just learned her name today. 

You know, she could have done something that is radical and really, really out there.  It's so crazy, it just might have worked.

She could have just stayed off social media.  It's free, easy, and best of all....you aren't spreading your abject stupidity far and wide and leaving receipts for your thoughts for the world to dig through.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

...especially after you've been told to reign in your tweets. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Exactly. She has a history of problematic tweets (you can just Google it if you're interested) ...

google it for me.

This is a free market, capitalistic decision.  You have a B-list, supporting character being a distraction which may affect ratings and merchandise being cut loose.  She can speak her truth, she also is accountable to the consequences.  A small-time player got shown the door because after the cost-benefit analysis, it found her more of a liability and was let go accordingly.  Who cares?  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Hook 'Em 2

Clearly she was a repeat offender and what she and Pedro did was not the same thing.  Its not complicated.  Everyone here has a gotten a warning and seen how differently those who heed the warning and those who don't are treated.  And there's nothing hypocritical about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn't see a thread on the topic. The whole "cancel culture" and the overreactive nature of society is stupid. I wish people would try to engage and understand, instead of grabbing pitchforks. At the same time, I believe in the mantra "Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.". Yes you have free speech, but free speech has consequences, and most idiots learn that the hard way. 

The latest victim 

It appears this was the tweet or whatever

Hmm...she's got a point. Lord knows conservatives have never fomented hatred of groups for being different or having different political views than their own. Wow, I never considered how unfairly they're being treated. This tweet really changed my mind about this poor persecuted group. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, fakebusiness said:

or rehiring people like Joss Whedon, James Gunn, etc.,

What a dumb example for you to use. Gunn had some old buried tweets that were used against him by internet trolls. They were clearly jokes but yes offensive in a clearly edge-lord way during early twitter days. And Disney did fire him for them. This was his response: 

Spoiler

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

Amazing, no mention of his first amendment rights being violated, no censorship talk, no complaints about cancel culture. Just accountability for saying dumb shit and realizing that life has consequences. And an apology. Sure though, liberal bias is the reason he wasn't cancelled forever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You know, she could have done something that is radical and really, really out there.  It's so crazy, it just might have worked.

She could have just stayed off social media.  It's free, easy, and best of all....you aren't spreading your abject stupidity far and wide and leaving receipts for your thoughts for the world to dig through.

Or do it pseudo anonymously like we do on surly. People have no idea that you're actually Miley Cyrus. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

See this is the infuriating shit.  Clay Travis spent most of 2020 furiously masturbating at the "backlash" against the NBA's social awareness campaign.  He posted daily gleeful updates highlighting how people are turning away from the sport and that the league and players are getting what they deserve. These fuckers don't have a problem with "cancelling" anything, they just want to bitch and moan that the shit they support is largely rejected in modern society.

tenor.gif?itemid=4924701

I have googled and the only two bad tweets I can find are "beep/bop/boop," for which she met with her costar and apologized, and the most recent ones, which was not "antisemitic" by any stretch of the imagination. 

Where is the history of antisemitism? 

FYI I am not defending her because she was told to can the Twittering and she didn't. If I were here, and you paid me millions of dollars to dress up as a space cowboy and say three words a month, and you told me to stop Tweeting, I would not only stop Tweeting, I would get rid of Twitter, throw my phone away, and not even call my parents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

She put beep boop beep as her gender on Twitter. 

she put beep boop where people were putting their gender pronouns. She admitted she was ignorant to do so, met with Pedro Pascal, whose brother went beep boop recently to educate herself and talk through it, and apologized

hardly David Duke material here

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

See this is the infuriating shit.  Clay Travis spent most of 2020 furiously masturbating at the "backlash" against the NBA's social awareness campaign.  He posted daily gleeful updates highlighting how people are turning away from the sport and that the league and players are getting what they deserve. These fuckers don't have a problem with "cancelling" anything, they just want to bitch and moan that the shit they support is largely rejected in modern society.

They're the biggest snowflakes on earth. Someone please find them a safe space. 

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The guy's name is really "Clay Travis?"  Sounds like that came out of the C&W Music Star Name Generator.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

she put beep boop where people were putting their gender pronouns. She admitted she was ignorant to do so, met with Pedro Pascal, whose brother went beep boop recently to educate herself and talk through it, and apologized

so it wasn't even a tweet?  and this issue has nothing to do with that. 

18 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

1,000,000X this.

The EXACT same people who gleefully cheered and DEMANDED that we all quit watching those spoiled bastard athletes who dared kneel during an anthem or whatnot -- the EXACT same people who have said 100,000 times "the NFL is dead to me, I hope they go outta business"......are decrying....."cancel culture?"

America.  We didn't just kill irony.  We put two in the back of its skull, ran it through a woodchipper, and incinerated the scraps.

• Hook 'Em 2

She was told to stop and she didn't stop and she got fired.

If your boss called you into their office and said "stop surfing this surlyhorns.com website all day and do some work" and you keep surfing the website all day and get fired, your first instinct should not be

Image result for shocked pikachu face

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

1,000,000X this.

The EXACT same people who gleefully cheered and DEMANDED that we all quit watching those spoiled bastard athletes who dared kneel during an anthem or whatnot -- the EXACT same people who have said 100,000 times "the NFL is dead to me, I hope they go outta business"......are decrying....."cancel culture?"

America.  We didn't just kill irony.  We put two in the back of its skull, ran it through a woodchipper, and incinerated the scraps.

This is America, so we also figured out how to smoke it first, then made it illegal and threw a bunch of people in jail for it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She was told to stop and she didn't stop and she got fired.

If your boss called you into their office and said "stop surfing this surlyhorns.com website all day and do some work" and you keep surfing the website all day and get fired, your first instinct should not be

3 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

huh

i meant what she got into trouble for before with the trans thing has nothing to do with what she posted today.  

Disney is not going to come out and say it but there were reports that Disney was all set to introduce her as the lead in the Rangers of the New Republic series during their Investor's Day presentation in December. They didn't after her previous tweets combined with anti-mask tweets and election fraud tweets in November. She supposedly apologized last week to the Disney brass. Then she posts the Nazi Instagram terrible analogy. So if the stories are right, she was posted something offensive again after she lost the lead in the show. So yes, she was fired because she didn't do what Disney asked her to do. And for that she's an f'ing moron. 

And since gsoda is a lazy fuckface:

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/gina-carano-apology.html

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is what kills me.  They don't have a twisted view of reality.  They have a COMPLETELY reversed view of reality.  

"Virtue signaling" is another thing they accuse libtards of constantly, as they park their trucks with the "God Listens to KSBJ" and "Blue Lives Matter" bumper stickers in the driveway next to their yards with the "In this house we kneel to pray and stand for the flag" signs in them. 

And then there is aggy...every waking moment is signaling the "virtue" of aggyness.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No idea how an actor supporting an anti-democratic insurrection by way of repeating the big lie and comparing those attempting the fascist overthrow of democracy to 1930's german jews could get the pinch in Hollywood. Something about knowing your audience, and fucking around and finding out...

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

To be fair, that isn't what she said. She said it was the community culture of intolerance, that was constructed by social forces, that led to a climate in which the Nazis could do what they did. That's a very different statement. And it isn't all that crazy to say that. But she was not as articulate about it as she should be and the point got twisted into her denying the Nazis killed Jews and that Republicans are like Jews being subjected to systemic genocide. 

I wish people that thought like this would go read about Hitler’s rise to power and the extent to wish Jews were demonized and violently targeted in 1930s Germany, before the Holocaust. Then let me know if you still think it compares similarly to the plight of someone expressing a conservative belief in modern times. 

Not only are they hypocrites about conservative cancel culture, but they are making a lot of money off of talking about cancel culture. Outkick, Rogan, half the comedians on Netflix, etc. talk more about cancel culture than they do anything else. It is a cottage industry like never before. So they highlight every instance of cancelling that they don't like to the point that it actually seems like an issue. I get that there are instances of cancel culture that are so outrageous that it should be mocked. But it is not the norm. And as pointed out in this thread, most of the actual cancelling is coming from the people that are so upset with it. So once again, every accusation is a confession.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

"Virtue signaling" is another thing they accuse libtards of constantly, as they park their trucks with the "God Listens to KSBJ" and "Blue Lives Matter" bumper stickers in the driveway next to their yards with the "In this house we kneel to pray and stand for the flag" signs in them. 

And then there is aggy...every waking moment is signaling the "virtue" of aggyness.

ah, yes, the precursor to cancel culture: the virtue signaling. good one.

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No idea how an actor supporting an anti-democratic insurrection by way of repeating the big lie and comparing those attempting the fascist overthrow of democracy to 1930's german jews could get the pinch in Hollywood. Something about knowing your audience, and fucking around and finding out...

she referenced them specifically or is that just who you applied that analogy to?

29 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

She also liked or has highlighted extreme conservative views about COVID (specifically masking as a deterrent in the spread), the Big Lie and Jan 6th.  Definitely her right to express her opinion or highlight opinions she may find provocative or agree with but again, she's accountable for those actions.  She fucked around and found out.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1