To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Kermit

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you want to talk about cr stuff, you can do it here in the cr.

Didn't even put in the right place. Board discussion.

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Prepare yourself for a 55 minute youtube video showing just how wrong you are about his inability to defend himself with intellectual honesty. 

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, that's why you get negged: the differing opinions. Not your complete inability to defend them with anything that resembles intellectual honesty, or even curiosity.

Nope, never. You're right. Me dumb, you smart. 

9 hours ago, fakebusiness said:

If she was a fervent Dem supporter and posted something similar would she still have a gig?

Fuck off. Keep trolling.

9 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

So, this is all about timing then, and not offensive (to one side or the other) political twittering?  Gotcha.

She didn't get fired. They just don't know if it's a good business plan to keep signing her up. I am still having a hard time finding any equivalence between what Pedro tweeted and her ongoing efforts to dig deeper. As far as one side or the other bearing a greater burden of getting canceled the right has a large quota to fill before they get to a tenth of what the left has had to deal with. After you abandoned the field there have been numerous examples.

8 hours ago, Continental Op said:

This is the same company that completely sidelined the Asian gal from the second movie in the sequel trilogy in the next movie because of fans bitching.  Disney knows what side their bread is buttered on. 

All she had to do was shut the hell up. Pratt's brother is a 3%er deputy sheriff. Why does he still have a gig? He makes money for them and knows how to shut up.

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

How about all Qtards can get bent and fuck off out of society?  What’s the problem?

Common ground that should find all of us...

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Common ground that should find all of us...

And what happened to that patch of common ground, sir?  That's right...it was torched from orbit by Jewish Space Lasers.  Leaving the rest of us here, to work it out.  

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, that's why you get negged: the differing opinions. Not your complete inability to defend them with anything that resembles intellectual honesty, or even curiosity.

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Prepare yourself for a 55 minute youtube video showing just how wrong you are about his inability to defend himself with intellectual honesty. 

There he goes, off to write his new hit song, "Alone with my intellectual honesty" 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And what happened to that patch of common ground, sir?  That's right...it was torched from orbit by Jewish Space Lasers.  Leaving the rest of us here, to work it out.  

Well, Bob Iger, while no longer the CEO, is still the Executive Chairman of Disney.

And he's Jewish.

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Honestly I’ve done the same thing before, but it did make me laugh that you completely fucked up the quote feature to make this post. 

Me, too.  I mean, he fucked it up so back that I couldn't even figure out how to quote it to point out the irony.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Honestly I’ve done the same thing before, but it did make me laugh that you completely fucked up the quote feature to make this post. 

Yeah, I was wondering where my sentence went. I figured it out, but kinda just thought of it kinda funny that you had to drop your quote to see my message. 

Celebrities are stupid for offering up extreme(ly dumb) things on social media when their livelihood is based on keeping the majority of their fan base happy. 

What is concerning is how the cancel culture has moved into regular people’s lives and careers now, with coworkers scanning through others’ social media looking for something to send to HR. As you can imagine but many on here wouldn’t admit, it’s pretty one sided politically. What I found most surprising is my Fortune 50 employer went full tilt Biden towards the end of election and through inauguration on their intranet homepage, and the compliance trainings have been updated to add see something, say something instruction towards anything that may be considered hateful speech, including coworkers’ social media and private lives. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Celebrities are stupid for offering up extreme(ly dumb) things on social media when their livelihood is based on keeping the majority of their fan base happy. 

What is concerning is how the cancel culture has moved into regular people’s lives and careers now, with coworkers scanning through others’ social media looking for something to send to HR. As you can imagine but many on here wouldn’t admit, it’s pretty one sided politically. What I found most surprising is my Fortune 50 employer went full tilt Biden towards the end of election and through inauguration on their intranet homepage, and the compliance trainings have been updated to add see something, say something instruction towards anything that may be considered hateful speech, including coworkers’ social media and private lives. 

It’s absolutely not one sided.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I believe it was @Ghost of LL that touched upon this earlier. One does not have to equate 'cancel culture' with thinking before speaking/revealing one's thoughts. Self censorship is under-rated. The 'let it all hang out' crowd forgets that sometimes. In a way, we are ALL public figures now. The advent of social media taking our opining selves around the globe for everyone to weigh our words.

And what weight those words have, am I right? We are taught that from childhood. Well, some of us are I suppose--that our words can hurt or help, sting or soothe, sadden or elate. The criticism of the liberal arts as a worthless, elitist, mamby-pamby useless sector of society belies the power of it: from thoughtful essays to propaganda, memes that are funny or hateful, the lies and the truths.

The battle being fought now isn't so much left vs right as it is which part of society is going to be in charge of the Ministry of Truth. The war over where to move the line in what constitutes in language as being hateful and offensive to others. Going to be a lot of collateral damage I'm afraid. My two cents.

• Hook 'Em 4

Here I can make it really simple for HR.

Don't post something online you wouldn't be willing to see on the news.

Are you willing to say hateful things about people to the news person at the protest?

Yes? Then you might not have a job afterwards.

You can wave a swastika and a Confederate flag and froth at the mouth about gays, Jews, and The Cabal and not go to jail. That's the extent of the protection the 1st A affords you. It does not have any protection for you if your job doesn't like it. 

We don't have to go back in time to find cases of a person being fired for supporting gays or being gay. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Thank god social media, and the whole internet thing, wasn't around when I was younger.  Not doubt I would have done something significantly stupid enough to haunt me for decades.  Well, I DID do the stupid shit, but it wasn't recorded for posterity.

I have done plenty of stupid shit.  I never thought to advertise it.   Even back then.   The highlight of my stupidity advertising was to put a cutout in the 3rd brake light of my GN that said "You'd Lose".  That went over well with law enforcement.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Handy rightwing / Clay Travis / Barstool dorks, CANCEL CULTURE! guide.   It is only considered CANCEL CULTURE! if it applies to views on the right.  

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a b**** off the field right now. Out! He's fired. He's fired'," Trump said.

GettyImages-618397140-1-e1591126522112.j

That is somehow not CANCEL CULTURE! to these fucking morons.

This.

Before there was a (probably focus group-ed) buzz term for it, Trump specifically REVIVED the issue of cancel culture, in full support of it, early in his administration to galvanize his base. His base, living in their own cultural bubble and finally feeling safe to let their white nationalist/quasi-white nationalist/white nationalist-enabling/whatever quibbling term you want to call it flag fly, LOVED IT. It wasn't that Trump and his base quietly supported cancel culture, they deliberately drew attention to the fact they supported it. 

They revelled in it. What a perfect way to own the libtards. 

It's only now that those who live in areas surrounded by Trump flags are realizing that nope, a massive chunk of America is STILL adamantly opposed to anything in the vicinity of your white nationalist/conservative faux victimhood bullshit and unlike the guy who you enabled to live a consequence-free life and discreetly took one-step back as you and the MAGA mob stormed the Capitol, that same entitlement to a consequence-free life, that you made possible, doesn't apply to you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

QFT

To add -

If she had just tweeted shit like "Biden is killing jobs by cancelling Keystone XL" or some stupid normal GOP-talking point, she'd still have a job.

She went full on batshit crazy - anti-mask, anti-Semitic, overturn the election shit.  And then capped it off with Jews/Nazi shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A bunch of everyday people from one of the sides created a terrorist mob that attempted an overthrow of the government. This represents risk to corporate interests both in that replacing America with Gilead is bad for business and if someone from their company took part in sedition that day (or even worse, posted photos of it from an account that can be tied to their identity which can be tied to the company) it is bad for business. If you view "publicly taking a stance against undermining and/or overthrowing the government and the legitimacy of American democracy" as leaning towards Biden (and no I don't think that you would agree that that is what you are doing and no I am not targeting you specifically Murfdogg) than you would be correct that the corporate establishment has gone full tilt Biden. Someone who thinks this way is the type of person who will need to change in order to find common ground with America. 

20 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So the studio that did Bone Tomahawk, then went to an online school shooter movie is now giving her a shot to make a movie of her own.  I bet Hollywood is so afraid.   Maybe Kirk Cameron can star in it with her.

yep, cinestate.  i know the owner really well.

EXTERIOR - TATOOINE- DAYTME

GINA CARANO:  "Commander, I will kill this filthy migrant Jawa caravan to protect our freedoms and Jesus!"  

Edited by Continental Op
Making sure I don't give any of the fucking dorks on here a chance to hump my leg over misspelling "Tatooine"
  • Haha 2