To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Kermit

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Ramjet understands it fine, and he knows exactly what he is doing.  He is just an asshole for doing it.  

If Disney fired Pedro for a tweet from 18 months before the show aired, they'd just twist their logic around. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Didn't CNN cut her loose from their NYE program after that incident?  

Yup. But to be fair she wasn't funny anymore and rode the faghag (no offense) bit until it was on life support.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Handy rightwing / Clay Travis / Barstool dorks, CANCEL CULTURE! guide.   It is only considered CANCEL CULTURE! if it applies to views on the right.  

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a b**** off the field right now. Out! He's fired. He's fired'," Trump said.

GettyImages-618397140-1-e1591126522112.j

That is somehow not CANCEL CULTURE! to these fucking morons.

Rule #1 is always fuck Clay Travis, he's a pure fraud hack with zero talent.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Analogizing MAGA to the victims of divisive propaganda, as opposed to the enthusiastic spreaders and believers of it, is classic Trumpian gaslighting. And these aggrieved idiots think they’re making a valid point when, in fact, they’re 180 degrees off from the truth.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

No.  My simple response was confusing.  Sorry 'bout that.

You asked if it were an issue if it was about (not "just") offensive political twittering.  I also said companies can fire anyone for anything.  But, if they claim the moral high ground because of "reasons", then if they don't apply those same "reasons" equally, then they don't get the moral high ground and deserve to be asked why they're being inconsistent.

It has NOTHING, in my opinion, to do with politics in this hypothetical discussion.  If Gina wore a t-shirt saying "Fuck Mickey Mouse" and was fired because it went against branding, but Pedro was actually well-known for posting "Fuck Mickey Mouse" memes for years prior to becoming a high-visibility and profitable Disney product... then yes, I would say "hey, what about..." 

So if you were confused that I meant "just" offensive political twittering was the reason, that was not my intent.  My intent has been consistency.  And there's none here.

See, now we're back to the false equivalency thing.  You're claiming Disney is being inconsistent here because Gina and Pedro were treated differently for doing the same thing when they did not in fact to the same thing.  Whether the difference between those two things--whether one is offensive and one is not--is enough to merit different treatment between the two is entirely within Disney's discretion.     

11 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Why is it so hard for some people to not say stupid shit on social media? Putting every dumbass thought you have out there for the world to see is dumb and unnecessary. 

No, no, no. The Founding Fathers wanted us all to have a completely unearned, free global platform to instantly etch our every thought into stone...err, cloud...completely free of consequence of judgement. It's the amendment right before the one that says, "Check out these sweet guns, bitches!"   

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RamjetFDO said:

blah blah blah....

So if you were confused that I meant "just" offensive political twittering was the reason, that was not my intent.  My intent has been consistency.  And there's none here.

bullshit.   Your posted something predating The Mandolorian and compared it to something after.   Timing matters.   I passed a cop doing 75 on the highway without a ticket.  If my dad did that he would have been pulled over when the speed limit was 55.   An arbitrary piece of paper signed by arbitrary people made one an crime and another acceptable.  

Let's remember that Disney was also the company that fired James Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 because of tweets from well before his time on the Marvel movies that right wing twitter found offensive. They later rehired him. I'd imagine they told him not to post offensive jokes and that if he did he would be fired again. Unlike Carano, he seems to have a brain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

And Disney did fire James Gunn for tweets he made years before he was hired and for which he had already apologized.  

Shhh... you're gonna get canceled for bringing up inconsistencies... makes people wet their panties.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

Yup. But to be fair she wasn't funny anymore and rode the faghag (no offense) bit until it was on life support.

I caught a few minutes of the current version with Andy Cohen this past NYE, and it was unwatchable.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's absolutely applied consistently.  Hurt your employer's bottom line, you're going to get fired.

Now, it may certainly be that urbanites between the ages of 18 and 54 have a lot more buying power than people in rural areas over the age of 70.  And so violating the social mores of the former group is going to hurt an employer's bottom line a lot worse than hurting those of the latter group.  But what can I tell you?  Yay, capitalism!

Disney has no problem hiring pedos or rehiring people like Joss Whedon, James Gunn, etc., who do way worse stuff than a few stupid political tweets. Shouldn't that effect their bottom line & they should be canceled or do the rules not apply in these instances? Pretty confusing.

7 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

And Disney did fire James Gunn for tweets he made years before he was hired and for which he had already apologized.  

I was just about to post that. I'd imagine they told him to knock off stupid tweets that people might find offensive. Unlike Carano, he seems capable of doing that as he was rehired by Disney and is doing Guardians 3 right now. 

She didn't get cancelled. She got fired because they told her more than once to stop. She didn't. They made a call. It's not that difficult. You can cry about cancel culture or culture wars but the fault lies with someone who was too stupid to not throw away her own Disney+ series because she couldn't stop posting dumb shit online. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

For the most part I do not give a fuck what any of these people say because I separate the art from the artist.  James Woods is a total fuckhead but Videodrome is still a pretty kickass movie.  Having said that if Disney or whoever decide that somebody is a threat to their bottom line then they're well within their rights to shitcan them.  This isn't that hard.  

Not until the inevitable "leaked" sex tape comes out so she can prop her career up a bit longer. I bet she can take a fist.

Gina probably should have been fired after the first transgression. I assume they had Season 2 in the can and they didn't want to reshoot multiple episodes, so she got off with a warning. Production on Season 3 hasn't started, Gina spouts off again, terminated. 

It'll be interesting to see how Dave and Jon explain her absence in the context of the story. I would be on Lucasfilm casting a new female lead character. 

Just now, Nivek said:

Just because you say it's hypercritical doesn't mean it is.  It is not.  You are wrong.  You have always been wrong.  You will always be wrong.  

I don’t think you understand the word. Just because you feel it doesn’t apply to you when injecting your ideology into a conversation doesn’t make it so. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
50 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:
Would it be a problem if it is about offensive political twittering?

For four years comparing the state of our union to 1930s germany was in vogue but then Feb rolls around and suddenly people are getting cancelled for it? Yeah that's a problem. The standards have to be applied equally.

This is such disingenuous bullshit.

It's cool y'all are going to die on the hill of some chubby anti-masker, anti-trans "actress" who thinks being a Republican is the same as being exterminated for your religion by an entire country. 

Y'all are all the same. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

I love when they pick someone completely abhorrent as their hero of the week. 

Further proof it's just a giant victimhood grift.  They wouldn't give her a second look if she hadn't gotten fired.  Half of them are probably learning her name for the first time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Js1 said:

It's cool y'all are going to die on the hill of some chubby anti-masker, anti-trans "actress" who thinks being a Republican is the same as being exterminated for your religion by an entire country. 

Y'all are all the same. 

And who has a fucking history of anti-Semitic tweets.

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I don’t think you understand the word. Just because you feel it doesn’t apply to you when injecting your ideology into a conversation doesn’t make it so. 

Classic strawman attempt and deflection.  

Not going to work.

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s a simple question. If she was fired for “policy,” is that policy applied equally to all employees. 

*not saying she was or wasn’t. 

keep personally attacking those you disagree with. 

How do you feel about gays and wedding cakes? 

• Haha 1

Anybody here know somebody who was fired from a job for having marijuana use show up in their piss test?  We all probably had that friend in our 20's that that happened to.  It sucked, it's a harmless, victimless incident but it fucks that guy over for a long time being shitcanned because of smoking a few joints over a long weekend.  But nobody on the "Screw Cancel Culture" ship seems to lose sleep over those millions of Americans who harmlessly led their private lives on their own time and still showed up for work to do their job.  

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I was just about to post that. I'd imagine they told him to knock off stupid tweets that people might find offensive. Unlike Carano, he seems capable of doing that as he was rehired by Disney and is doing Guardians 3 right now. 

She didn't get cancelled. She got fired because they told her more than once to stop. She didn't. They made a call. It's not that difficult. You can cry about cancel culture or culture wars but the fault lies with someone who was too stupid to not throw away her own Disney+ series because she couldn't stop posting dumb shit online. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Gina probably should have been fired after the first transgression. I assume they had Season 2 in the can and they didn't want to reshoot multiple episodes, so she got off with a warning. Production on Season 3 hasn't started, Gina spouts off again, terminated. 

It'll be interesting to see how Dave and Jon explain her absence in the context of the story. I would be on Lucasfilm casting a new female lead character. 

i'm not familiar with her tweet history, what did she do wrong the first time?  

46 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Are you on the Board of Disney?  It's their opinion that matters here, not yours.  They get to decide if comparing kids in cages to kids in cages is more or less offensive than comparing kids in cages to . . . conservatives being held accountable for their actions?  I'm really not even sure what she's complaining about in her comparison (which kind of points to it being more offensive).  Regardless, they get to make the choice of what they view as acceptable.  If they don't agree with your bullshit false equivalency, that's perfectly within their discretion.  If you don't like their choice, you can stop supporting them.  

you can also complain on a message board about them

Just now, Lobo said:

Anybody here know somebody who was fired from a job for having marijuana use show up in their piss test?  We all probably had that friend in our 20's that that happened to.  It sucked, it's a harmless, victimless incident but it fucks that guy over for a long time being shitcanned because of smoking a few joints over a long weekend.  But nobody on the "Screw Cancel Culture" ship seems to lose sleep over those millions of Americans who harmlessly led their private lives on their own time and still showed up for work to do their job.  

not your best metaphor. 

Just now, gsoda3 said:

i'm not familiar with her tweet history, what did she do wrong the first time?  

So you weighed in on a conversation with strong opinions not knowing what you were talking about and not understanding the context.   

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What was the first transgression? The Beep/Bop/Boop thing? I think that was funny.

She was dumb to keep posting when warned not to.

She is hot and I want her to beat me up.

58 minutes ago, fakebusiness said:

I'm not conservative. However, I do realize 'cancel culture', whatever you want to call it, doesn't seem to be applied consistently. 

The biggest example of "cancel culture" in modern history, the one where the victim lost arguably more than anyone else, was a liberal NFL quarterback.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

21 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Analogizing MAGA to the victims of divisive propaganda, as opposed to the enthusiastic spreaders and believers of it, is classic Trumpian gaslighting. And these aggrieved idiots think they’re making a valid point when, in fact, they’re 180 degrees off from the truth.

This is what kills me.  They don't have a twisted view of reality.  They have a COMPLETELY reversed view of reality.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Y'all are all the same. 

To be fair, that isn't what she said. She said it was the community culture of intolerance, that was constructed by social forces, that led to a climate in which the Nazis could do what they did. That's a very different statement. And it isn't all that crazy to say that. But she was not as articulate about it as she should be and the point got twisted into her denying the Nazis killed Jews and that Republicans are like Jews being subjected to systemic genocide. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7851132

See this is the infuriating shit.  Clay Travis spent most of 2020 furiously masturbating at the "backlash" against the NBA's social awareness campaign.  He posted daily gleeful updates highlighting how people are turning away from the sport and that the league and players are getting what they deserve. These fuckers don't have a problem with "cancelling" anything, they just want to bitch and moan that the shit they support is largely rejected in modern society.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, fakebusiness said:

Disney has no problem hiring pedos or rehiring people like Joss Whedon, James Gunn, etc., who do way worse stuff than a few stupid political tweets. Shouldn't that effect their bottom line & they should be canceled or do the rules not apply in these instances? Pretty confusing.

I genuinely have no idea who Joss Whedon or James Gunn are.  Perhaps if you give me some context, I can give you an opinion.

Disney is biased in favor of money.  This is the same company that pretty much wrote what's-her-face out of the third Star Wars sequel movie and said "Please do not be mad.  Look everyone... The Emperor is back!" after a huge swath of fans were all "Eww gross too many minorities and women in my Star Wars!" 

Edited by Continental Op
  • Hook 'Em 1