To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Kermit

How's the old joke go..."So an Orthodox Jew, Senator Ted Cruz, and a female MMA holocaust denier walk into a Hollywood studio.  YadaYadaYada...'the Aristocrats'!"  

Edited by Lobo

Matt Gaetz invited a Holocaust denier to the SOTU back in 2018. The guy (Charles Johnson, formerly of the Daily Caller) had been banned from Twitter since 2015 for asking for help to 'take out' a BLM activist. Gaetz denied the alt right supporter was a white supremacist and denier and said 'he just showed up at my office.'

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:
On 2/13/2021 at 7:39 AM, gmr548 said:

Feel like that’s a cancellation that can bring bipartisan unity

Dunno there. He's a good actor.

he played Spicoli in the Fast Times Zoom table read they did online a few months ago and was so funny he had Penn, Pitt, McConaughey, basically everybody rolling.

of course...it was bc he was literally stoned out of his mind, but still 😂

Let’s stop the vaccinations now. Who cares about white supremacy. We haven’t had an insurrection in over a month! There is absolutely nothing happening in climate news right now. But you can’t buy an overrated pillow in Bed Bath & especially Beyond. We are all going to die!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I think Jim should go all in and claim that his role in covering up rampant sexual abuse at OSU was because he refuses to participate in "cancel culture" of any kind. 

I was gonna go with people freezing to death in southern states not built to handle this extreme Arctic air, nor able to get to their vaccine distribution points safely this week---possibly throwing off the herd pace by weeks on the back end.  But yeah, Feinstein High School in California changing names was totally at the top of my list this morning.  Can't believe I forgot to tell y'all that while I was getting this elderly woman without power a cell phone charging stick for her phone so she could call the hospital if/when she has a medical emergency.  Totally spaced on Cancel Culture being #1 issue this morning.  

On 2/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, Brisketexan said:

Shocking....a show made for an audience of vacuous white women does not have an intellectual giant for a host. I, for one, am shocked to the core.

i think it's more about the fact that the show has been lily white for 20 years but tried to inject some color over the past few seasons and were not at all prepared to handle it.

it is interesting to me that disney-related companies have been right in the middle of most of these (including conway showing up on american idol last night).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.avclub.com/oh-great-ellie-kemper-is-yet-another-rich-white-celebr-1847010681

I don't know that this is getting any traction, but this one is pretty stupid right? Participating in a debutant ball as a teenager in 1999 isn't exactly the same thing as having a plantation wedding in 2021. 

Of course maybe I'm just being defensive because my mom made participate in one of these things when I was a kid. I don't know that it has a problematic history for sure and haven't looked it up but...it was in Tyler, the girls wore white dresses and the dudes had to wear tails. I'm sure historically it was pretty racist. It never crossed my dumb teenage mind at the time though. 

Yes, it's stupid. She was 19 and was raised in that lifestyle. What matters is if she is a racist now. That's why this shit is so stupid. People can actually change throughout their lifetimes. I'd hate to read or listen to what 19 year old me said about things back then. 

23 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

https://www.avclub.com/oh-great-ellie-kemper-is-yet-another-rich-white-celebr-1847010681

I don't know that this is getting any traction, but this one is pretty stupid right? Participating in a debutant ball as a teenager in 1999 isn't exactly the same thing as having a plantation wedding in 2021. 

Of course maybe I'm just being defensive because my mom made participate in one of these things when I was a kid. I don't know that it has a problematic history for sure and haven't looked it up but...it was in Tyler, the girls wore white dresses and the dudes had to wear tails. I'm sure historically it was pretty racist. It never crossed my dumb teenage mind at the time though. 

The only thing that article is going to do is be highlighted on right wing media as example of libs gone wild. 

From the comments:

h man, you didn’t check in to see how this insane stretch of a nothing-burger was getting roasted over at The Root? Cause it’s getting no traction there, and it feels like their readership should know.

America is a racist place. Its institutions have a racist past. If you were born here and engaged in just about any organization - a company, a branch of the US government, went to college, joined a bowling league - chances are good there’s some kind of shitty racist chapter in its past.

She was a teenager who participated in a local pageant show. Imagine if she’d joined the Army? It was segregated until 1948. What if she’d attended, or worse, taught at UVA? Founded by a slaveholder who raped his slaves.

And so forth. The “Ellie Kemper is a Nazi Princess” take is the kind of thing that gives progressives a bad name and provides ammo to the kind of assholes who whine about “Cancel Culture”. 

Guest Lobo
7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yes, it's stupid. She was 19 and was raised in that lifestyle. What matters is if she is a racist now. That's why this shit is so stupid. People can actually change throughout their lifetimes. I'd hate to read or listen to what 19 year old me said about things back then. 

I read some of them, and you were really bummed out about not winning your debutante ball (I agree, Stacy sucks!).  You bounced back nicely at 23 though.

But seriously, this bifurcation is completely counter-productive on #bothsides.  Ellie went to a dance as a kid.  The organizers of the dance, of which she was not one, were apparently assholes and descended from seriously racist assholes.  To lump her in a time like this when actual racist monsters are stripping away voting rights for minorities...it's attention whoring on the part of the journalists, lawyers, and talking heads. 

Take the Admiral's Club in Austin.  Kind of a 'debutante society' thing in Austin.  Obviously they did not used to allow minority families in that thing.  Now, almost every significant liberal activist or politician I know in Austin who has a teenage daughter is involved in that thing (mainly a glorified drinking club, no judging).  But I wouldn't consider it to currently be a racist organization.  

6 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

It's really stupid. I don't think it's a big coincidence that she later starred in a TV show playing a girl who escaped some sort of racist death cult and tried to lead a normal life afterward.