Bourbon

Jimbaround

Weller 12 leftovers this evening from my first Poor Man's Pappy batch. Cheers gentlemen. 
Has anybody been to Pinky's in Midland recently? If so, please report your findings.

I was in the store on Midkiff last week. Nothing on the shelves that you can’t find elsewhere.

The crew at their Andrews Hwy location said they take delivery every Thursday morning. All of the good stuff is gone after work Thursday evening.

What have you heard?

2 hours ago, Coyote said:

I was in the store on Midkiff last week. Nothing on the shelves that you can’t find elsewhere.

The crew at their Andrews Hwy location said they take delivery every Thursday morning. All of the good stuff is gone after work Thursday evening.

What have you heard?

I’m going to be in Midland for the Holidays. I was hoping to do some picking while I was out there. 

It sounds like I’ll be lucky to find a bottle of Elijah Craig while I’m out there. 

On 8/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Balcones Blue Corn Bourbon is solid but expensive

Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon is very very expensive, but better than most bourbons on this thread. Their Balmorrhea is also great

Dont bother with any other Texas bourbons

Is Balmorrhea worth $57 for a 375 ml?

Apparently Kentucky Owl bourbon batch 8 is out in Texas now. Retail price of $299.99. I think I’ll pass. 

It was available up here for $350 at retail. Sold out in an hour before I could get there to even inquire after getting texted about its availability

One of you snagged a 107 OWA this morning and I saw it happen.  I think you probably got the KO as well ($170ish?).  Nice work.

I didn't snag anything major, but reupped on some 1920, 4RSB, Templeton Rye, KC SB Rye Store Pick, and Russell's SB for dirt cheap.

Almost grabbed the WP 10yr for ~$51.  Really hard to pass that one up, but I need to make a bigger dent in the bottles that I have before I run out of space to put them.

Edited by Horn21

Picked up a few bottles at Twin today:  2 - Buffalo Trace (same price as Total Wine, but its my regular drinker and TW doesn't always have it in stock; 1 - Sazerac Rye; 1 - Balcones Rye; 1 - Balcones True Blue 100.  Didn't buy anything else, but would have bought Antique if I saw it.  I made a list of Total Wine's regular prices to compare to the Twin $1 prices.  If it wasn't at least $5 less than TW, it doesn't make since for me to buy it and shelf it.  I have another Twin to stop by this evening and then I'll probably be done with this round.

I’m thinking about picking up a Booker’s since I’m always on the edge of picking one up when there’s nothing on the shelf and a buddy said they had a few at $55 at our local twins.  I’m sure everything limited is long gone by noon at most locations.  

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Novice bourbon fan, here to learn,  discovered this thread via the surly podcast haha 

Go buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna Bottle in Bond and Old Grand Dad 114 and report back with your findings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

Go buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna Bottle in Bond and Old Grand Dad 114 and report back with your findings.

@Sgt Hulk Start with the best one first, Eagle Rare. 

I wish McKenna BiB would do store picks. The quality is all over the place. 

If you want to go a little more advanced, Total Wine has plenty of 1792 Full Proof Store Picks for $40. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@Sgt Hulk Start with the best one first, Eagle Rare. 

I wish McKenna BiB would do store picks. The quality is all over the place. 

If you want to go a little more advanced, Total Wine has plenty of 1792 Full Proof Store Picks for $40. 

thank you Bill ill get searching 

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

thank you Bill ill get searching 

Always buy a store pick if available. Total, Goody Goody, and local shops send their bourbon people up to the distilleries to taste individual barrels. They of course pick their favoritess, and sometimes you get lucky and they age the store picks a few extra years. The store picks are almost always the same price. 

Spec's does store picks as well, but not as frequently.  

Try to figure out what you like. I like higher proof stuff if it's done well. Higher proof and single barrel is my kind of Venn diagram. 

• Like 2

Peeling back the onion on Spec's Houston: 

My guy told me today he didn't have any bottles of Kentucky Owl Batch 8 in store because their inventory is only available to "wholesale customers" i.e. bars and restaurants. 

So when you wonder how Whiskey Cake can have a dozen bottles of Elmer T. Lee, and 6 bottles of Pappy 15, you have your answer. It's what we all suspected, but it's the first time I've ever heard a Spec's employee admit to it. 

I'm slightly surprised my Total Wine didn't have any Batch 8 behind the glass. If any of y'all are looking for Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 2, they have it behind the glass at full MSRP.

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Peeling back the onion on Spec's Houston: 

My guy told me today he didn't have any bottles of Kentucky Owl Batch 8 in store because their inventory is only available to "wholesale customers" i.e. bars and restaurants. 

So when you wonder how Whiskey Cake can have a dozen bottles of Elmer T. Lee, and 6 bottles of Pappy 15, you have your answer. It's what we all suspected, but it's the first time I've ever heard a Spec's employee admit to it. 

I'm slightly surprised my Total Wine didn't have any Batch 8 behind the glass. If any of y'all are looking for Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 2, they have it behind the glass at full MSRP.

Fuck Specs 

• Like 2

Fuck Specs 

I was about to post the same. I only go to Spec’s these days when I’m trying to find an obscure spirit they carry (Byrrh currently).

Pretty much my entire bourbon purchasing lately has been a mix of Total Wine and the occasional stops at Costco/random mom and pops.