Bourbon

Jimbaround

I tried A Fistful of Bourbon yesterday and I really don’t know what to think.

There are a lot of intensively marketed bourbon-manque whiskies on the Texas market and most are terrible (cough! Rebecca Creek!). To their credit, this is not one of those. This is a real bourbon blend- probably some mix of Hudson, MGP, Heaven Hill, BT, etc. Th

It’s like the people who make Monkey Shoulder (which I love) decided to make the Monkey Shoulder of Bourbon and wound up reimagining Bourbon as an entry level blended highland scotch, which we can assume to have been the intent, since Wm. Grant is a great company and they know what they are doing. The result is a very light, almost annoyingly -balanced- whiskey that would be good mixed with anything and acceptable on the rocks at a loud wedding.
My guess is that regular bourbon drinkers won’t buy it more than once, and it can’t be called starter bourbon for the same reason; it just doesn’t have have any discernible characteristic for a person to latch on to.
3/5 for professionalism in whiskey blending, but I can’t recommend it.

Will go get what they have. Price seemed wrong but not my problem. And yeah it's single barrel, not small batch.

Where was this? I just picked up a bottle at Spec’s (Arbor Walk) for $54. In the glass case up front, they have a couple more if interested, along with Kentucky Owl if anyone wants to spend $180.

2c8f75038a3a748f39c9a96a1a4f4597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

Where was this? I just picked up a bottle at Spec’s (Arbor Walk) for $54. In the glass case up front, they have a couple more if interested, along with Kentucky Owl if anyone wants to spend $180.

2c8f75038a3a748f39c9a96a1a4f4597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 2000 miles from Austin. 

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, USCATX said:
My replacement bottle should be here this weekend.  Easily the best bourbon you can have shipped to your door for a little over a hundred bucks.  

How does one get this shipped to their door for 100?

Yep, we are on our second lot of six being delivered.

4 of us went through 2 bottles at my company owner ranch 2 weeks ago.  Shit is nectar.

27 minutes ago, huge said:

I know, I was being a bourbon hoarding jerk.

Some bottle shop in the UK will send you six bottles of gold for around $600 US Dollars shipped.  I'll ask my source to see if he wants to share the name.

Do they ship to Texas?  A retailer can't even ship wine into Texas (unless they have a Texas presence and pay the tax) so I can't imagine it's legal.  The Texas AG routinely sends cease and desist orders to violators.  If you pay by credit card I suppose you can get a credit if it's confiscated or never sent. 

12 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Do they ship to Texas?  A retailer can't even ship wine into Texas (unless they have a Texas presence and pay the tax) so I can't imagine it's legal.  The Texas AG routinely sends cease and desist orders to violators.  If you pay by credit card I suppose you can get a credit if it's confiscated or never sent. 

Also I don't know about this.  I buy wine and have it delivered several times a year.

2 minutes ago, huge said:

Also I don't know about this.  I buy wine and have it delivered several times a year.

Some retailers do it until they get caught.  Most reputable retailers will not ship into Texas.  Do you buy wine from a winery?  You can legally buy wine (IIRC, up to two cases per year) directly from a winery.  I buy several cases per year from CA wineries. 

Again, if you pay by credit card you may get a refund if it's never sent or if it's confiscated.  So there may be little risk for the consumer.

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Some retailers do it until they get caught.  Most reputable retailers will not ship into Texas.  Do you buy wine from a winery?  You can legally buy wine (IIRC, up to two cases per year) directly from a winery.  I buy several cases per year from CA wineries. 

Again, if you pay by credit card you may get a refund if it's never sent or if it's confiscated.  So there may be little risk for the consumer.

I think I may be able to help with the Pan-Pam dilemma. 

"reputable" is kind of a fluid situation. 

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, huge said:
Yep, we are on our second lot of six being delivered.
4 of us went through 2 bottles at my company owner ranch 2 weeks ago.  Shit is nectar.

That did not answer the question. I need this in my life.

Bunch of rule following boy scouts in here. Anyway:

masterofmalt.com

forward2me.com

It’s not rocket science.  Regardless of rules, you shouldn’t be doing this if you can’t afford to lose a couple hundred if customs gets you   

• Like 3

12 hours ago, huge said:

Ah yes.  Always from wineries.

About 10 years ago I was in a wine club from a Napa area store.  Guess that shit is shut down.

I'm still in bourbon/rye of the month club at an unnamed store in an unnamed state. I hope they got grandfathered in, but the owner might not care. 

12 hours ago, USCATX said:

Bunch of rule following boy scouts in here. Anyway:

masterofmalt.com

forward2me.com

It’s not rocket science.  Regardless of rules, you shouldn’t be doing this if you can’t afford to lose a couple hundred if customs gets you   

Forward2me is pretty clear that they're going to inspect your purchases and make sure it's legal to ship to your final destination. Do you use them to send you alcohol in Texas?

51 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Forward2me is pretty clear that they're going to inspect your purchases and make sure it's legal to ship to your final destination. Do you use them to send you alcohol in Texas?

They have a whole page dedicated to it.

https://www.forward2me.com/ship-alcohol-from-uk/

They don’t seem to dig down into the state level and I do know that it works, as does thewhiskeyexchange.com, but they are always out of stock.  I’ve also ordered directly from masterofmalt prior to them ceasing US shipments without issue.  

I think it’s always a risk, but one I’m willing to take for good bourbon.  

Edited by USCATX

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The store that shall remain unsaid was picked pretty clean this evening. I picked up a bottle of Boone's County 12 to keep my spending up before the BTAC and God willing, the Pappy releases. 

I thought that BTAC had already hit, no?  What time frame we looking at? /asifihaveachance

Have any of you aficionados with the fine-tuned bourbon palates ever sampled Hancock's President's Reserve Single Barrel?

I tried it when out drinking one night and thought it was pretty darn good, very much so for the price, though I was a few drinks deep when I first sipped it. 

Salut!

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

How much they charge?

$118 for William Larue Weller and $78 for Pappy 12.

I was unexpectedly upgraded from Old Rip Van Winkle to the Pappy 12. Nice little surprise within a big ass surprise. 

Not one to be greedy, I politely begged for Handy and George T. Stagg. I guess I’m waitlisted for those two. 

2 hours ago, VinyVango said:

Have any of you aficionados with the fine-tuned bourbon palates ever sampled Hancock's President's Reserve Single Barrel?

I tried it when out drinking one night and thought it was pretty darn good, very much so for the price, though I was a few drinks deep when I first sipped it. 

Salut!

Hancock’s is one my favorites. I like it better than Blanton’s, and I love Blanton’s. Really tough to find though. It’s about $50 retail. 

$118 for William Larue Weller and $78 for Pappy 12.
I was unexpectedly upgraded from Old Rip Van Winkle to the Pappy 12. Nice little surprise within a big ass surprise. 
Not one to be greedy, I politely begged for Handy and George T. Stagg. I guess I’m waitlisted for those two. 

Damn, very solid. I’m jealous.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

WLW is my unicorn right now. If any of you assholes want to sell a marked up bottle, I am game. 

Completely unexpected, and I’d say Eagle Rare 17 is harder to find. But yeah, WLW is tough.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Sazerac 18 in person. 

The plan is to drink Pappy 12 on Christmas Eve/ Day. 

Not sure on my WLW plans. Might not drink it until the spring.  I’ll drink the 2018 Birthday Bourbon on my birthday in February. Gotta space these things out. 

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hancock’s is one my favorites. I like it better than Blanton’s, and I love Blanton’s. Really tough to find though. It’s about $50 retail. 

I really enjoyed it when I tried it.  It had some great flavor notes and was super smooth on the back end.

Was able to finagle a bottle (like pulling teeth) from a liquor store using a distributor friend of an acquaintance in that $50 range and was debating whether to keep it corked until a special occasion with bourbon appreciators present or just dive in for Tx-OU conference championship sipping.  The later is my inclination.