2021 NCAA Baseball

WBT

Guest Lobo

He was a hot commodity and he capitalized well.  Graham was on his way out but he was out of his depth in Texas recruiting.  Good in-game coach, but also wouldn't know his way around a pitching staff to save his life.  Look at the last 3 seasons of Rice baseball.  It's not always the head coach's fault, but when the team ERA is 6.50+ for three straight years, that's indicative of a problem.  

48 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Rupp was always a stand up guy, what's he up to these days? I used to love watching him and D.Smith go at it in the mid/late 90's.

TX Juco baseball was a hell of a lot of fun back then. I remember seeing a game in Baytown and could not believe the talent, Lew Ford and Juan Pierre roaming CF. I've said it before but Lew Ford is second to only Lance Berkman for best hitters I saw that year(1997).

He left rice and was the head guy at Sam for a bit. Was the head coach at Goose Creek Memorial for a few years and now at Deer Park High School. My father played high school ball with him at Baytown Sterling way back when.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rice alum checking in... Bragga was a complete abortion of a hire.  The AD at Rice is a fucking clown (Joe Karlgaard...came from Stanford).  Wayne Graham had recommended Pat Hallmark as his successor, and the AD didn't listen.  Pat has gone on to some nice results at Incarnate Word and now UTSA.  Then Lance Berkman was publicly politicking for the job, but at the same time he appeared in a Houston commercial about his opposition to trannies in women's bathrooms or some shit like that and the Rice President decided that wasn't on brand for Rice, so Berkman was out.  Berkman also managed to piss off some donors.  Now I'm hearing through sources that Pat Hallmark won't work for the douche AD (can't blame him).

Sean Allen has major ties to the Houston area, given his playing and coaching career across town at U of H.  Would be an instant recruiting shot in the arm.  The candidates I'm hearing about at Pat Hallmark, Sean Allen, Rob Childress, Tom Arrington (San Jac) and Jake Gautreau (Miss St. Asst....former Tulane player).  I'd be happy with any of those.  The decision makers will be the Rice President who doesn't give two shits about sports (think Mr Burns from the Simpsons) and the AD who is simply incompetent.  I completely expect them to fuck it up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Rice alum checking in... Bragga was a complete abortion of a hire.  The AD at Rice is a fucking clown (Joe Karlgaard...came from Stanford).  Wayne Graham had recommended Pat Hallmark as his successor, and the AD didn't listen.  Pat has gone on to some nice results at Incarnate Word and now UTSA.  Then Lance Berkman was publicly politicking for the job, but at the same time he appeared in a Houston commercial about his opposition to trannies in women's bathrooms or some shit like that and the Rice President decided that wasn't on brand for Rice, so Berkman was out.  Berkman also managed to piss off some donors.  Now I'm hearing through sources that Pat Hallmark won't work for the douche AD (can't blame him).

Sean Allen has major ties to the Houston area, given his playing and coaching career across town at U of H.  Would be an instant recruiting shot in the arm.  The candidates I'm hearing about at Pat Hallmark, Sean Allen, Rob Childress, Tom Arrington (San Jac) and Jake Gautreau (Miss St. Asst....former Tulane player).  I'd be happy with any of those.  The decision makers will be the Rice President who doesn't give two shits about sports (think Mr Burns from the Simpsons) and the AD who is simply incompetent.  I completely expect them to fuck it up.

This pretty much nails it. 

Hopefully this baseball coach will be the last coach Joe K hires. He’s been sniffing around the Duke and Northwestern jobs but I’d be happy if we just fired him so he has more time to train for marathons and blog about critical race theory.

That said-I think you nailed all the main contenders. If Joe hires another Stanford assistant I will jump...

23 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Please hire Childress then get back to what y’all were in the 2000’s. Miss that little baseball rivalry we had 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Would love that. Just give us Coach Pierce and CDC back and we will make it happen. 

Part of me wants to red myself for being almost for this.  Will you take galindo too?

I think Childress to Rice is a no brainer.  

Edited by petscii

3 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Would love that. Just give us Coach Pierce and CDC back and we will make it happen. 

I mean, cdc can be yalls athletic director 2. Yeah yeah that’s nice. Athletic director at UT. Do it at 2 different schools, Crystal Conte(I hate this nickname more than @ztejas)!!!!

But yeah dude those were the days. 

"...tells you how serious interest was between those two parties"?
Kendall's aggyness is showing.  It only tells you aggy was interested and Tech wasn't about to lose another top-notch coach.

I like Kendall. We have a few mutual friends and my dad meet him at least twice. He is well connected in CBB circles and a good dude

I think he’s pandering to his Aggie fan base. Tadlock wasn’t leavingTech. And if he ever left, it wouldn’t be for Aggie. Kendall is way too sharp to not understand that. (yes, sharp Aggie —> oxymoron)
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, torre said:

Agree !

Are you familiar with the Rice program ?    Does the AD control, alumni, Berkman, anyone or there divisions  ?      Good for the State if they return to prominence.

Our resident Owl,  @OWLVIS had some health issues.    Hope he is doing well.

Thank for the thought, I'm improving but as with a stroke it's very slow progress. 

As to the issue at hand. The falloff with baseball preceded Bragga, and it was predictable. He wasn't a fit  to the culture. The donor base wanted a Rice guy and those that fit the criteria either weren't available ( Piece) or lacked enough experience ( Hallmark) or the PC police would object ( Berkman) . Add Childress in the mix because he's proven and available  now might explain the suddenness of the move. Or it could be an assistant that they had their eye on and the AD feared the window was closing.

They need to get this right, the frmr players seem to rallying to Hallmark/Berkman. Maybe Petite joins as pitching Coach

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I like Kendall. We have a few mutual friends and my dad meet him at least twice. He is well connected in CBB circles and a good dude

I think he’s pandering to his Aggie fan base. Tadlock wasn’t leavingTech. And if he ever left, it wouldn’t be for Aggie. Kendall is way too sharp to not understand that. (yes, sharp Aggie —> oxymoron)

I agree on all accounts.

The Rice alumni and fan obsession with hiring Berkman is wild. Forget politics, the guy doesn't deserve a D1 head coaching gig just because he was a MLB all star. He seems to actively be avoiding actual college coaching and hoping someone will just hire him to a head spot. Contrast that with Tulowitzki's approach.

• Hook 'Em 5

If Allen wants Rice then he would he would have Peirce and Bobby Williams from Sam vouching for him. If only Sam would have hired him instead of Sirianni. If he is headed to Rice I have a connection who would know before most so I'll check in with them. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The Rice alumni and fan obsession with hiring Berkman is wild. Forget politics, the guy doesn't deserve a D1 head coaching gig just because he was a MLB all star. He seems to actively be avoiding actual college coaching and hoping someone will just hire him to a head spot. Contrast that with Tulowitzki's approach.

Berkman was the hitting coach at Saint Thomas this season, he has his much head coaching experience is Tony Gwynn did before San Diego State.  Berkman is mentioned as in the mix at Rice ,but he's likely going to take the HBU job( a much better cultural fit). Theres no surprise that Braggas gone, some surprise it was now.

As mentioned Hallmark has a lot of support from former players and some donors ,Again with Berkman theres a chance maybe as hitting Coach. Childress was unexpected but from what we hear the is mutual interest 

Aggie has been beating the dead horse of delusion for so long, that they have people on the outside believing it. That is, until the outside visits,  takes in a game, sees the culture,  then you have videos like the GameDay crew leaving CS laughing at how overrated and delusional they are.

15 minutes ago, OWLVIS said:

Berkman was the hitting coach at Saint Thomas this season, he has his much head coaching experience is Tony Gwynn did before San Diego State.

Well that's something I guess (St. Thomas).

How did that work out for San Diego St.? Gwynn was adequate at best and has the worst winning percentage of any coach in SDSU history.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Well that's something I guess (St. Thomas).

How did that work out for San Diego St.? Gwynn was adequate at best and has the worst winning percentage of any coach in SDSU history.

not trying to debate you. Just offering some facts. Berkman has more experience than none. Former players including some he has coached speak highly of him. 

But I don;t think its Lance, Im hoping Hallmark, or VanHook

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Aggie has been beating the dead horse of delusion for so long, that they have people on the outside believing it. That is, until the outside visits,  takes in a game, sees the culture,  then you have videos like the GameDay crew leaving CS laughing at how overrated and delusional they are.

I definitely missed that.

2 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

Some how missed this.  Where can I find this? 

Starts about 3 minutes in. There seems to be no record of this on twitter so Instagram will have to do

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B3RIxZfgkMo/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=61c289c7-631e-4430-b30f-75781550783f

Edited by Sir Ulrich
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The DBU coach turned down other opportunities in the past because he was limited in the spiritual development programs he wanted to put in place. Would Aggy let him have full control over something like that? 

Seriously? Then he probably should stay where he is unless he thinks Baylor would be a step up.

23 hours ago, Fletch said:

I assumed Bragga would do well at Rice considering what he did at Tennessee tech. Figured he can just drive around Houston and find recruits good enough to field a yearly top 25ish team. 

the amount of talent within 1hr of campus is extemely high 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

not trying to debate you. Just offering some facts. Berkman has more experience than none. Former players including some he has coached speak highly of him. 

But I don;t think its Lance, Im hoping Hallmark, or VanHook

lance is too public about is hard R politics 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Rice President announced he is retiring in 2022.  Wish he would recuse himself from the baseball hire.  Hallmark would be the best hire with Childress in the mix.  Lance looks to be going to HBU which would be great for them - maybe he can raise some money and get them lights on their field.