Portlandia: First fast-food workers' union created

Beau Vine

After a two-year effort, workers at a Burgerville restaurant in Portland, Oregon, recently became the first fast-food outlet to vote to form a union.

The chain, which prides itself on offering local produce and meats at its 42 restaurants in Oregon and southern Washington state, pledged to work with the new union. "We will navigate this new working relationship together in a positive, productive way," Beth Brewer, Burgerville's senior vice president of operations, said in a statement. "We are ready to support the nation's first unionized fast-food store."  

The company also purchased a full-page newspaper ad and took to social media to put a positive spin on the results of an election overseen by the National Labor Relations Board, or NLRB.

"On Monday, one of our locations voted to become the first fast-food union in the country. This is new territory for us at Burgerville, but we're used to that. We've never been afraid of going first," the company said on social media under the heading: "This will be great."

It will be great.

Posted by Burgerville on Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The April 23 results had the Burgerville Workers Union (BVWU), garnering 82 percent of the vote in support of forming a union following a two-day election. Another union vote set for May 12 and May 13 at a second Burgerville in suburban Portland.

The workers resorted to the process of organizing under federal rules after two years of failed efforts -- including walkouts, protests and a boycott of Burgerville -- aimed at getting the company to discuss pay hikes and improved working conditions. 

"The reason the union started is because workers frequently experience poverty and homelessness," said Emmett Schlenz, 24, a spokesperson for the union who moved to Oregon from Rhode Island two years ago. 

A majority of Burgerville's 1,500 workers earn slightly above above the minimum wage, which stands at $11.25 an hour in Portland, said Schlenz, who has worked at Burgerville for nine months.

"We've been making these demands for two years, and they've been largely ignored. They refused to talk to us as a union," he said.

Burgerville, which says it pays an average hourly wage of $11.70 an hour, has reached out to the union to begin negotiations, according to the company.

"There'd been a real reluctance on behalf of the employer to formally recognize the union -- it seems like they have turned a corner on that," said Kate Suisan, an attorney who counseled Burgerville workers on their dealings with the NLRB and the company.  

Related video: Fast food's high-tech future

01:11
01:42
HQ
Fast food's high-tech futur

Some 3.6 million Americans work in the food industry, including fast-food, according to the Labor Department. The National Restaurant Association puts the total number of restaurant employees at 14.7 million. 

Affiliated with the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), the Burgerville union drew energy from the "Fight for $15" movement, a union-led national campaign to boost wages for lower income workers.  

"As we understand it, we're the only fast-food union that's federally recognized," Schlenz said. "We want to prove to other fast-food workers that they themselves can take charge of their own lives and fight for better treatment."    

The Service Employees International Union, which lobbies for better wages for restaurant workers, has taken notice of the Burgerville fight.

"This is a victory for fast-food workers across the country, and it shows that our demand for unions is stronger than ever," Joseph Franklin, a McDonald's worker in Hartford, Conn., said in a statement provided by the SEIU. "To raise wages and improve conditions at work, we need an organization on the job. Now McDonald's, which sets the bar for pay and conditions across the fast-food industry, needs to follow suit and respect our right to a union."  

Ruth Milkman, a sociology professor at the University of New York, pointed to "the youth and aspirational politics" driving the Portland union, also noting that millennials have spearheaded a number of union drives in media. "There is a lot of evidence that the so-called millennial generation has more pro-union politics and is critical of the status quo, versus older workers."

Yet while restaurant workers in other states might take inspiration from Burgerville's pioneering union drive, Kate Bronfenbrenner, a director of labor education research at Cornell University, noted that Portland's famously progressive social climate in Portland might have come into play.

"The question is, is this the Portlandia effect?" asked Bronfenbrenner, referencing a sketch-comedy TV series that parodies life in Portland. "I've been studying organizing campaigns since 1996, and an organizer for 20 years before that, and I can tell you I've never seen an employer in the private sector do any communication like that." 

Schlenz had a more cynical take on the company's public stance, saying "they put on this very progressive, liberal, empathetic face, but at the same time are paying workers poverty wages."

The union also mocked some of the company's PR efforts on Facebook, while calling for a boycott of Burgerville to continue until it negotiates a "fair" contract with workers.

Today Burgerville paid for a full page color ad in The Oregonian, trying to claim credit for the historic vote of the workers at the 92nd and Powell location to form a Union. Sorry Charlie 😑 no sale for this proud dues paying CWA member 🏽The Burgerville Workers Union has fought tooth and nail, in the face of shameful retaliation, over the course of two years, and this weeks victory is theirs! The workers have called for the continuation of the boycott until the company has negotiated a fair contract. So as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord, and not *ever* be scabs.#Union #solidarity #CWA

12 hours ago, Newdoc said:

mcdonalds-kiosks-600.jpg

The sooner this country embraces automation, the better. We are going to have to have a real reckoning about the role of employment and work in our society. Widespread automation is going to force that to happen.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The sooner this country embraces automation, the better. We are going to have to have a real reckoning about the role of employment and work in our society. Widespread automation is going to force that to happen.

I sincerely hope automation starts with your job. 

33 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I wish they would hurry the fuck up.

What would you do with your life?  

We make fun of shitty jobs, a-hole employers, retarded co-workers and so on but if lots of jobs are automated then what will the average schmuck do all day long?  Sure, the funny answers will come piling in and I will laugh at them but people need work.  Work provides self-worth and order.  There are already enough slobs with no jobs breathing up oxygen.  We don't need more.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

must be why we are so hell bent on importing millions more in unskilled labor...supply and demand?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

If Surly Bevo Inc. automates half of its jobs and cuts its workforce in half, chances are they will be doing it increase revenue or decrease costs or both. So that extra money they have left over? It gets put into capital projects. Pretty soon Surly Bevo Inc. has the same number of workers but much greater output. Every time in history there has been a great improvement in efficiency there have been new jobs generated. What makes you think that this will be any different than going from picking cotton by hand to doing it by machine? This ain't the first time there has been a huge revolution in automation. Folks have been saying the same thing about there not being any work for as long as there have been technological advances.

6 hours ago, 936horn said:

Damn they pay people almost $12/hour at a fast food joint??

I know, right!  Poverty wages!!!    It’s not like any high school kid can have his mom drop him off and he can do that job.  This is highly skilled labor with advanced degrees and training.

i can’t wait to visit Portland so I can have one of their master craftsmen made burgers and fries for $45 dollars.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

We make fun of shitty jobs, a-hole employers, retarded co-workers and so on but if lots of jobs are automated then what will the average schmuck do all day long?  Sure, the funny answers will come piling in and I will laugh at them but people need work.  Work provides self-worth and order.  There are already enough slobs with no jobs breathing up oxygen.  We don't need more.

I’m curious as well. I would ask you, what do they do now? Many factory jobs went oversees or were automated. The youths say it is incredibly hard to find a job now. (There wasn’t a lot of jobs 20 years ago either) 

What are the people doing without jobs? Are the parents supporting them? Is the government? Probably both. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I hope it's like Hell on Wheels where they bring in a train full of workers and the old workers have to beat the crap out of the new workers and send them back on the train to keep their jobs.

131218_lowry_pajamaboy.jpg

vs

542442e320e73.image.jpg

I don't think the burger dudes want that fight.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m curious as well. I would ask you, what do they do now? Many factory jobs went oversees or were automated. The youths say it is incredibly hard to find a job now. (There wasn’t a lot of jobs 20 years ago either) 

What are the people doing without jobs? Are the parents supporting them? Is the government? Probably both. 

I hear you.  Outside of compensation for work provided, just passing the time of day with nothing to do other than clown around all day seems to play right into the devil's hands.

Retirement age is not to far off for me.  If I just stone cold retired and had nothing to look forward to other than playing golf all of the time or some other activity like that I think I would go insane.  As of now, I would prefer to work until I just physically can't do it anymore.

I like working.  Work provides structure, goals and a sense of acheivment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I hear you.  Outside of compensation for work provided, just passing the time of day with nothing to do other than clown around all day seems to play right into the devil's hands.

Retirement age is not to far off for me.  If I just stone cold retired and had nothing to look forward to other than playing golf all of the time or some other activity like that I think I would go insane.  As of now, I would prefer to work until I just physically can't do it anymore.

I’m 41. But transitioning from work I have to do to work I want to do. I have bought trailer parks and storage sheds. And am buying more. I like messing around with them, which is work, more than practicing law.  I will always do something.  But want it to be shit I enjoy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

I don't like working, but I couldn't agree more with everything else you said.

Work sucks, but it's good for me.

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If Surly Bevo Inc. automates half of its jobs and cuts its workforce in half, chances are they will be doing it increase revenue or decrease costs or both. So that extra money they have left over? It gets put into capital projects. Pretty soon Surly Bevo Inc. has the same number of workers but much greater output. Every time in history there has been a great improvement in efficiency there have been new jobs generated. What makes you think that this will be any different than going from picking cotton by hand to doing it by machine? This ain't the first time there has been a huge revolution in automation. Folks have been saying the same thing about there not being any work for as long as there have been technological advances.

The problem presented by automation, and already being presented by information technology, is that low-skill jobs are replaced by high- or higher-skill jobs.  And I fear that it's not just a matter of skills training catching up to the new demand.  There seems to be a significant chunk of the working population that is too stupid or otherwise dysfunctional to ever acquire the skills necessary to perform in high-skill jobs.

A great example of this is the auto industry.  Chip-sweepers and machine-tool operators (not machinists) have been replaced and the unions can't squeeze $15-20/hour plus overtime plus pension for the chip sweepers and machine operators left anymore.

I truly think this country has a ton of economic woes coming in the next 20 years.  Stuff that is very bad for much of the country.  But I can't say that it isn't going to be self inflicted (not by politicians but by our own self-worthlessness).  Our citizens have always taken the easy way out of anything we possibly can.  Automation in manufacturing, credit/debit cards instead of cash/check, self driving teslas so my lazy ass doesn't have to push on the gas pedal.  Nearly everything that we produce is for convenience or has a convenience aspect to it.  So when someone converts siri from an iphone app to a cashier at mcdonald's are we surprised?  Of course we shouldn't be.

In my opinion this is evolution working.  In every species ever there have been changes over time and portions of populations are left behind and eventually die.  We have a shitload of people and those that have the desire to evolve into the new conveniences and realities of the world are the ones who will survive.  But that couple who works at pizza hut who sees that job as their career and who has kids who they have no intention of educating isn't going to make it and we shouldn't be surprised by that.  The biggest question the people who can evolve and learn will face is "can/should we help these people?"  The morbid reality is that we likely can't help them because of how many people are sitting in that situation both in the US and worldwide.  At some point, you can't just rely on the high income people to care for the low income people because there is only so much money to go around.

I don't know what the solution is but if you aren't preparing for there to be MAJOR issues in the next 20-30 years then you should start preparing for that by either educating yourself on new tech/opportunities or by saving a metric fuckton of money and putting it into various currencies so you are protected from various economic collapses. 

Look at countries like Venezuela.  Their political climate is obviously different, but I would guess that the wants and needs and maybe even the political leanings of their populations aren't far off from ours (speaking to the left/right spectrum here).  Their population is 1/10th of ours.  When our economic system finally gets killed by too much unemployment or too many working in poverty we will come down very hard.  I don't think I want to be around for that show.

Edited by Jhawk

11 hours ago, ABSR said:

I know, right!  Poverty wages!!!    It’s not like any high school kid can have his mom drop him off and he can do that job.  This is highly skilled labor with advanced degrees and training.

i can’t wait to visit Portland so I can have one of their master craftsmen made burgers and fries for $45 dollars.

You'd be called a sandwich artist. Didn't know till I moved here 

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I'm not worried, do computers have people skills?

2j4x1j4.jpg

I have a consulting business that specializes in building out DFIR (Digital Forensics/Incident Response) programs for companies. The bulk of the work consists of configuring all of the security tools to learn all of the normal behavior that occurs between users and the various systems on the network. This is a very time intensive process that generates a lot of billable hours.

I also run a security program for a large cloud company. Last year while working at a different cloud company, I was part of a proof of concept project with a third party partner that was testing a new security product that automatically builds a DFIR system using A.I.

Going into the project I was skeptical but after it normalized network, system, and user behavior and detected anomalous behavior on a 30,000 node environment within 90 minutes without any human instructions, I was blown away.

The world as we know it is coming to an end. Automation will replace both low and high skilled workers.

Yep... with AI and Blockchain a lot of transactional stuff will change as well.  Look at the conventional landman/title company.  If counties across the nation were to use blockchain to trace title there would be no need for the $500 a day landman or for closings at title companies when you buy a house (obviously there is some ancillary items but a title report wouldn't be necessary anymore).  All of this stuff will slowly creep into the lives of people who make a good living and it will put them out of work. 

That is why I mentioned evolution in my previous post.  The world is going to evolve into two groups, those who can utilize tech/innovation to provide for themselves and those who can't/won't/don't use the same resources.  Personally, I am working to retire in the next 10-15 years.  I feel that if I can exploit the niche business I am in for that period of time I can have more than enough money to "go away" and try to avoid the problems that we are sure to see.  I'll keep up on things in case I need to reenter the game but I would probably be more in favor of leaving the country and finding an area to go that doesn't have the advancement that the US will have.  Maybe start over somewhere else where my skills still have value.

13 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I truly think this country has a ton of economic woes coming in the next 20 years.  Stuff that is very bad for much of the country.  But I can't say that it isn't going to be self inflicted (not by politicians but by our own self-worthlessness).  Our citizens have always taken the easy way out of anything we possibly can.  Automation in manufacturing, credit/debit cards instead of cash/check, self driving teslas so my lazy ass doesn't have to push on the gas pedal.  Nearly everything that we produce is for convenience or has a convenience aspect to it.  So when someone converts siri from an iphone app to a cashier at mcdonald's are we surprised?  Of course we shouldn't be.

In my opinion this is evolution working.  In every species ever there have been changes over time and portions of populations are left behind and eventually die.  We have a shitload of people and those that have the desire to evolve into the new conveniences and realities of the world are the ones who will survive.  But that couple who works at pizza hut who sees that job as their career and who has kids who they have no intention of educating isn't going to make it and we shouldn't be surprised by that.  The biggest question the people who can evolve and learn will face is "can/should we help these people?"  The morbid reality is that we likely can't help them because of how many people are sitting in that situation both in the US and worldwide.  At some point, you can't just rely on the high income people to care for the low income people because there is only so much money to go around.

I don't know what the solution is but if you aren't preparing for there to be MAJOR issues in the next 20-30 years then you should start preparing for that by either educating yourself on new tech/opportunities or by saving a metric fuckton of money and putting it into various currencies so you are protected from various economic collapses. 

Look at countries like Venezuela.  Their political climate is obviously different, but I would guess that the wants and needs and maybe even the political leanings of their populations aren't far off from ours (speaking to the left/right spectrum here).  Their population is 1/10th of ours.  When our economic system finally gets killed by too much unemployment or too many working in poverty we will come down very hard.  I don't think I want to be around for that show.

Seeing more and more evidence that millenials tend to lean left and are even starting to flirt with socialism.   It's more of the "liberal" socialism like the Swedes practice but I'm pretty sure in my lifetime (assuming I live another 30+ years), that we'll see some really political change in this country.  I just hope it's not bloody.

23 hours ago, deadshank said:

QFT.

I'm afraid automation will lead to a larger burden on society as people doing unskilled labor are displaced by automation.  The food industry is already a dog eat dog world and people aren't going to pay $12.00 for a Big Mac extra value meal so McDonalds and pay a guy enough to support his family.  So automation is inevitable.  Small businesses won't have the capital to automate so they will be forced to pay higher wages, charge more and go out of business when people would rather pay $8.00 at McDonalds than $12.00 at McDowells.  That displaced labor force ain't gonna pick vegetables in the field or carry roofing shingles (there's a reason why they are working fast food as a full grown adult - of course their are exceptions).  Next step .... unemployment.  Maybe I'm wrong but who knows.  There is already a glut of college educated people with massive educational debt doing service industry jobs having nothing to do with their degree.  

I don't want to get into the politics of it but look at the facts.  The average age of a US senator is 61.  In the house it is 57.  Then look at the leadership of the house/senate.  Mcconnell has been in politics since 1975 and the senate since 1985.  Pelosi since 1987. Schumer first started in politics in 1975.  The leadership is littered with people who have controlled this country for the better part of 40 years.  There is going to be a serious leadership gap (whether you agree with current leadership or not) that will need to be filled in the next decade.  That is a major pressure point on the future of the country.  Then add in everything we have discussed here and my mention that almost everything our population does is based on convenience.  I think it would be naive to think that a potential priority for the population is to find leadership that will make life easier, more convenient, for people is not an outcome that is on the table.  That isn't a bad want, the problem is the population is asking the government to do it.  The government has a couple of ways to achieve this goal; 1. tax people, 2. make regulations and arrest people if they don't comply.  How the government acts will be based on who is put in those leadership roles and what they have promised to their constituents.  I personally believe in the invisible hand theory so I don't believe that the government changes economies or markets.  Sure, markets react to legislation but you can't legislate a growing economy.  Further, even if the government could legislate a booming economy, our government has proven over and over that the nuances of economics are far above their pay grade and we don't want them trying to legislate the economy.  So I wouldn't bet that the constituents of new leadership are going to be fine with "we're trying to make the economy better."  They'll probably want more invasive action.

In the end, I believe that we are rapidly approaching a point where large portions of our country would rather fight for convenience than live a harder, more task oriented, life.  That is a fine decision to make and if it is the will of the country to go that way then that's what we will do.  I don't believe we go that direction in a peaceful manner and depending on how elections play out we are 5-20 years from having to make the choices that will define how our country changes and the means by which the county changes.

24 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Seeing more and more evidence that millenials tend to lean left and are even starting to flirt with socialism.   It's more of the "liberal" socialism like the Swedes practice but I'm pretty sure in my lifetime (assuming I live another 30+ years), that we'll see some really political change in this country.  I just hope it's not bloody.

when was the last generation of 20-30 year old conservatives

35 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Eventually, it wouldn't surprise me if  government step in and "de-automate" jobs if unemployment gets out of hand. No more self serve pumps, burgers or checkouts. Pay the dude his $12 / hr and get on with it.

I suppose that could happen, but pick your poison.  If you are a burger flipping business owner that just invested $100k in automation because your day labor unionized and is going to kill the business would you prefer that your representatives in congress write a bill that you have to dump the automation and rehire those unions or would you rather just provide some living wage to people via tax hikes?  Once again, we are on the verge of talking politics so I won't express my opinions, but if you were to subscribe to one thought process then you have two shit sandwich choices there.  One kills your business and wastes money very quickly and the other is a long blood draw that only steers us further down a path.  In the second scenario, I could actually see the worst of all worlds.  People lose jobs, are given a wage by the gov't, and prices still go up on fast food because the increase in taxes needed to pay out wages to people who don't work.

It's a tough path to navigate and I'm not confident that our country is ready to have a real conversation on that because we have been conditioned to think that if someone doesn't agree with us we should scream and pout until someone tells us they do agree with us.  Then we should avoid the elephant in the room and just be friends with those that agree with our own worldview.

I feel like that is doom and gloom but I also feel that this train is slowing coming into the station.

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Do I not count? Seriously I don't think there are no young conservatives, it's just young conservatives are more liberal than older generations. 

The only thing I meant at all is that, at any point in time, all the time, throughout time, young people on average tend to be more liberal than old people, on average.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:09 AM, David Dennison said:

That is more true than you know man. Have you seen machine and deep learing algorithms? We are staying to develop systems that can diagnose an illness with better than human accuracy, systems that can pick apart a legal argument, and systems that can engineer and architect a building. And they don't want a salary, they just need hardware to run on. 

Automation is going to get many more people than just burger flippers. 

Edited by Captainant
fuckin autocorrect
  • Like 1