2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

when I met her, she didn’t know who OJ Simpson was, now she’s asking about lineups, who’s pitching, and can pretty much tell you the different home countries or states of the Astros players.

To be fair to her, you seem to think OJ Simpson is a baseball player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fried hasn't exactly been lights out in the postseason.  If the Astros win this series, it will be because of hitting and Fried's very unlikely to shut them down in 2 games, one of which would be on short rest.  He does not worry me very much.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Fried hasn't exactly been lights out in the postseason.  If the Astros win this series, it will be because of hitting and Fried's very unlikely to shut them down in 2 games, one of which would be on short rest.  He does not worry me very much.

I mean, we just fucked him up a couple of nights ago.

Without Morton, they're going to need buckets of runs.

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Oh I agree, but wouldn't you rather him not be able to pitch on full rest? Don't misunderstand, rainout or not idmas either way because the Astros hitting is likely what decides this series. The more pressure put on their pitching, the better. 

we were discussing Bregs over beer lunch and how Dusty can't really move him down the order or swap with Yuli.  I get it, especially in an NL park.  Went back to look at some #s thinking it was just the last 2 years of playoffs struggles.  Looks great in the ALDS from 2018-2021. 

Here's what career ALCS's and WS's look like:

47 games

.178 batting avg

.281 slugging

Hell, I don't think he had an rbi in the ALCS last year.  Hopefully my numbers above are way off or I'm drunk but I spit up some pumpkinator after seeing. yeesh

Edited by ballrific

10 minutes ago, ballrific said:

we were discussing Bregs over beer lunch and how Dusty can't really move him down the order or swap with Yuli.  I get it, especially in an NL park.  Went back to look at some #s thinking it was just the last 2 years of playoffs struggles.  Looks great in the ALDS from 2018-2021. 

47 games

.178 batting avg

.281 slugging

Hell, I don't think he had an rbi in the ALCS last year.  Hopefully my numbers above are way off or I'm drunk but I spit up some pumpkinator after seeing. yeesh

I haven't looked it up, but if memory serves, Bregman had some atrocious luck in the first couple of games of the 2020 ALCS and never really got going. 

7 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Wasn’t Game 3-5 weather in DC in 2019 low 50’s with some rain? I’ll take a repeat of that road trip this year. 

not this bad.

Start Time Weather: 64° F, Wind 2mph out to Rightfield, Cloudy.

Start Time Weather: 63° F, Wind 10mph from Right to Left, Overcast.

Start Time Weather: 72° F, Wind 8mph in from Leftfield, Sunny.

Anderson is susceptible in the first inning so I expect Altuve and Bregman to be swinging early in the count and looking for fastballs. Scouting report says Anderson likes to use his four-seamer up near eye-level to set up his changeup but he can be spotty with his command early and miss high. Bregman needs to be ready to turn on his four-seamer but not swing and miss but lay off that stuff up out of the zone. If Anderson is spotting his fastball well, his changeup is going to be tough.

Y'all keep talking shit about Bregman.

From Game 2:

Batted Ball A - 102.3 mph/30 degrees/374 feet

Batted Ball B - 102.3 mph/20 degrees/373 feet

Spoiler

A was Altuve's homerun

B was Bregman's sac fly in the 1st to dead center.  He just needed to pull it.

I also want to know how it only went a foot shorter with a 10 degree lower LA.  Spin?  Wind?

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, ballrific said:

47 games

.178 batting avg

.281 slugging

Yep. I said he didn’t really do anything offensively in the later post season run to help us that much offensively but his defense was awesome and meaningful. HG did point out he got the biggest hit in the franchise history in game 5 amongst really being nothing special. 

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Happy (start of) 2017 Game 5 Anniversary!

Around midnight, my wife asked me what we would do if the game kept going because we had a morning flight.  I told her we were staying at the game and missing the fucking flight.  At least she understood, kinda.