2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Was at the game yesterday, quite a surreal experience. It was almost like everyone collectively decided to get hammered after the second grand slam (aided by Blum chugging a beer on the big screen.) We were far louder than we had any right to be during the “rallies” in the middle innings.

At least they burned their ace during this shit show instead of a tight game.

They really fucked themselves by adding Taylor over someone capable of pitching 3/4 innings. They also fucked themselves by starting Garcia in that game when he’s been terrible for over a month. 

Simply start Odo or Urquidy and we we have a good chance of winning that game. Garcia can’t be trusted to pitch more than one inning and probably should be taken off the roster entirely in favor of one of Solomon and Bielak. 

imo, the “starters” moving forward should be Framber, Urquidy, Odo, and Javier. 

Edited by Starfleet Command
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

As bad as that game felt yesterday and the supposed momentum shift towards Boston with three games at Fenway, Fangraphs has Bos with a 50.6-49.4 edge while Five Thirty Eight has the Astros at 54-46.

Five Thirty Eight also said Crooked Hillary was going to win

• Fuck You 7

3 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

They really fucked themselves by adding Taylor over someone capable of pitching 3/4 innings. They also fucked themselves by starting Garcia in that game when he’s been terrible for over a month. 

Simply start Odo or Urquidy and we we have a good chance of winning that game. Garcia can’t be trusted to pitch more than one inning and probably should be taken off the roster entirely in favor of one of Solomon and Bielak. 

imo, the “starters” moving forward should be Framber, Urquidy, Odo, and Javier. 

Yeah, it just baffles me that Urquidy still hasn't thrown a pitch in the playoffs this year and Garcia has made two shitty starts.  I wish I knew what they were looking at to make that decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

The injury to LMJ and the short outing by Framber Friday night put the pitching staff in a bad spot only made worse by yesterday's outing. They didn't need Garcia to hold the Sox to five runs or less as much as they just needed him to get into the 5th inning or so. They certainly weren't expecting him to give up a grand slam with two outs in the first only for him to leave the game with an injury he'd been hiding from the team. 

The decision to start Garcia in gm 2 over Urquidy made sense if the team was just managing expectations and hoping he could give them a few more innings than he did vs Chicago and count on the offense to do the heavy lifting. Urquidy has playoff experience at Fenway and generally throws strikes and can give them 6+ innings. Odorizzi sucked in the second inning but he did enough to get us through that game and the bullpen held them to one run over seven innings. 

Win on Monday.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Let’s be honest, our pitching staff when we even had LMJ wasn’t great for a long series and it’s even worse now. We need some playoff magic and someone to step up and score a ton of runs.

I nominate Altuve, Brantley, Bregman, Alvarez, Correa, Gurriel, or Tucker to score a lot of runs. 

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

The injury to LMJ and the short outing by Framber Friday night put the pitching staff in a bad spot only made worse by yesterday's outing. They didn't need Garcia to hold the Sox to five runs or less as much as they just needed him to get into the 5th inning or so. They certainly weren't expecting him to give up a grand slam with two outs in the first only for him to leave the game with an injury he'd been hiding from the team. 

The decision to start Garcia in gm 2 over Urquidy made sense if the team was just managing expectations and hoping he could give them a few more innings than he did vs Chicago and count on the offense to do the heavy lifting. Urquidy has playoff experience at Fenway and generally throws strikes and can give them 6+ innings. Odorizzi sucked in the second inning but he did enough to get us through that game and the bullpen held them to one run over seven innings. 

Win on Monday.

this. rather take my chances winning a shootout at home and start urquidy in g3 in fenway and possibly again in g7 at home. 

still curious what they think greinke can do. 

44 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

still curious what they think greinke can do

My guess is they see Greinke as their playoff linchpin right now and that's why they didn't use him yesterday or more than once since the playoffs started. I know they say he's not stretched out as a starter and Dusty has said publicly that he's not ready to throw more than 40 pitches. He hasn't thrown that many since Sept 19th when he threw 68 pitches in 4 innings. I bet they are planning on using him to start in gm 4 and hoping he can work quickly and effectively and piggybacking him with Javier. 

Greinke starting gm 4 with the Astros up 2-1 feels like a situation he's ready for. Urquidy has to be on tomorrow night.  

• Hook 'Em 1