2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

If he turns out to be a locker room problem they just waive him,  no harm done. 

That's fair. Maybe not waive him, but they don't HAVE to play him 30+ minutes and just use the injury recovery as the excuse/reason. Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like there is something to Boogie just wanting to recover somewhere with absolutely zero time pressure, prove he's healthy, round into shape for the playoffs, maybe have a few big games, win a ring for his efforts, then get his money next year when teams should have cap space.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

That's fair. Maybe not waive him, but they don't HAVE to play him 30+ minutes and just use the injury recovery as the excuse/reason. Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like there is something to Boogie just wanting to recover somewhere with absolutely zero time pressure, prove he's healthy, round into shape for the playoffs, maybe have a few big games, win a ring for his efforts, then get his money next year when teams should have cap space.

Boogie is tired of being the best active player not to play in a playoffs game and decided to brute force his way out of that.

*I know it's more complex than that, but whatever

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You people don't understand that the Lakers brand IS the NBA. We are every bit the Yankees of hoops, and the league is healthier when we are good.

It pains  me but I agree with this.  Love them or hate them you're tuning in to watch, either to see them win or see them lose. I'll secretly be rooting for Lakers though.  

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Boogie is tired of being the best active player not to play in a playoffs game and decided to brute force his way out of that.

*I know it's more complex than that, but whatever

Reportedly, his decision was between Golden State and Boston. So either way he's probably playing in the Finals.

Crazy to think that Lebron going off in game 7 a few years ago is what triggered all of this. 

Does Durant sign with the Warriors if the Warriors win that series? Beyond just adding another star Durant has been doing the entire organization a solid by taking discounts. 

The NBA would probably look a lot different right now if the Warriors would have won it all a few years ago. Odd to think losing a NBA finals might have actually been a good thing for the Warriors in the long-run. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Wrong. The Lakers have made them obscenely rich.

You sure about that?

When Jerry passed, his worth was around $600 million.  He gave each kid 11% of the Lakers, adding up to 66%. 

Now, the Lakers franchise...sure.  If the Buss family wanted to sell it, it  would make each of them very wealthy.  But until that day happens....

Link is a few years old, but there is no one on the list with Laker ties:

https://www.12up.com/posts/2999476-ranking-the-nba-s-19-richest-billionaire-owners

Again, 1%'ers, sure.  But in the NBA world, they are mid pack...but probably own the one franchise that would sell for the most if it ever hit the market.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Crazy to think that Lebron going off in game 7 a few years ago is what triggered all of this. 

Does Durant sign with the Warriors if the Warriors won that series? Beyond just adding another star Durant has been doing the entire organization a solid by taking discounts. 

The NBA would probably look a lot different right now if the Warriors would have won it all a few years ago. 

that Klay barrage against OKC changed the shape of the NBA for years. If OKC wins that series, plays CLE and wins the NBA finals, KD stays IMO. Maybe Lebron wins a couple more titles and stays in Cleveland. That brief Klay stretch was one of the most critical long term performances in NBA history. 

• Like 6

that Klay barrage against OKC changed the shape of the NBA for years. If OKC wins that series, plays CLE and wins the NBA finals, KD stays IMO. Maybe Lebron wins a couple more titles and stays in Cleveland. That brief Klay stretch was one of the most critical long term performances in NBA history. 

This.

7 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

If we're playing the "what if" game, go back a year and what if Olynyk doesn't rip Love's shoulder from his socket in the 1st round of the 2015 playoffs?

Love is healthy, the Cavs probably win Game 1 in regulation, Kyrie's knee doesn't get injured, and the Cavs are up 2-0 going back to Cleveland and finish off GS in 4 and then repeats in 2016.  

19 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It pains  me but I agree with this.  Love them or hate them you're tuning in to watch, either to see them win or see them lose. I'll secretly be rooting for Lakers though.  

don't forget the celtics. Historically, it's those 2 and everybody else....both teams have more than double the titles as the 3rd best team (bulls i think)

Yep. The landscape of the NBA changed in that series. If KD can hang on up 3-1 he is still in OKC right now. Regardless if they beat Cleveland. Okc is still a dominant team right now. Gsw is nowhere near what they became.

Now it's all about stacking the deck to get a ring. Far beyond what Lebron did in Miami. All Stars are just joining this already established machine.

But yet CP3 to the Lakers in 2011 or 12 was veteoed for no reason other than to not have the Lakers be that stacked with talent.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. The landscape of the NBA changed in that series. If KD can hang on up 3-1 he is still in OKC right now. Regardless if they beat Cleveland. Okc is still a dominant team right now. Gsw is nowhere near what they became.

Now it's all about stacking the deck to get a ring. Far beyond what Lebron did in Miami. All Stars are just joining this already established machine.

But yet CP3 to the Lakers in 2011 or 12 was veteoed for no reason other than to not have the Lakers be that stacked with talent.

never really understood the legal justificaton for that veto. It's not like CP3 is MJ or Bird, good but not an all time great. Still kind of stinks of meddling. That should also destroy the conspiracy theories of the NBA favoring big cities. 

• Like 1

That trade was vetoed to keep houston from having Lamar and Harden fighting over Chloe while on the same team. Stern is clairvoyant.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

never really understood the legal justificaton for that veto. It's not like CP3 is MJ or Bird, good but not an all time great. Still kind of stinks of meddling. That should also destroy the conspiracy theories of the NBA favoring big cities. 
Stern was like Goodell. He could do what he wanted when he wanted. No rhyme or reason.

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/02/draymond-green-recruitment-demarcus-cousins-golden-state-warriors/

The Warriors’ recruitment was led by Green, who has a strong relationship with Cousins, and general manager Bob Myers, and it included a positive phone call between Cousins and coach Steve Kerr, league sources said. Both Cousins and the organization understood the most critical time of the season — the playoffs — will be the stage in which Cousins shines the most for the Warriors.

Further cementing Draymond as the NBA's favorite heel.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That every team wishes they had..... lead recruiter for KD and Boogie.  Can Texas hire him after he retires?

• Haha 1

Couple of questions.

1. If Boston could get Kawhi without giving up anything big now, just picks and a decent player or two, could they do anything to GS in the finals? Kyrie, Horford, Hayward, Tatum, Kawhi starting lineup, with an arguably better bench than GS depending on what they gotta give up. 

2. Assuming best/worst case for GS, everyone stays healthy, Boogie comes back near 100% and integrates reasonably well, the playoffs are a cakewalk fo fo fo fo.

Does KD resign with them in 2019? They have a new arena coming. Wow. What else? Boogie will surely move on to a much bigger contract. They will have to come up with some more money to resign Klay. It could quickly blow apart. Besides what else is there to prove at that point. KD will be 30 in September. Odds of a 7 footer breaking down much younger than Lebron are high. If he wants to win with a 2nd group it will be time to say adios. That's about our best hope for some semblance of parity.

32 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

If we're playing the "what if" game, go back a year and what if Olynyk doesn't rip Love's shoulder from his socket in the 1st round of the 2015 playoffs?

Love is healthy, the Cavs probably win Game 1 in regulation, Kyrie's knee doesn't get injured, and the Cavs are up 2-0 going back to Cleveland and finish off GS in 4 and then repeats in 2016.  

lulz. Whatever you say, buddy.

34 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

You should lay off the hard drugs, bro

5 minutes ago, Robin Masters said:

Couple of questions.

1. If Boston could get Kawhi without giving up anything big now, just picks and a decent player or two, could they do anything to GS in the finals? Kyrie, Horford, Hayward, Tatum, Kawhi starting lineup, with an arguably better bench than GS depending on what they gotta give up. 

2. Assuming best/worst case for GS, everyone stays healthy, Boogie comes back near 100% and integrates reasonably well, the playoffs are a cakewalk fo fo fo fo.

Does KD resign with them in 2019? They have a new arena coming. Wow. What else? Boogie will surely move on to a much bigger contract. They will have to come up with some more money to resign Klay. It could quickly blow apart. Besides what else is there to prove at that point. KD will be 30 in September. Odds of a 7 footer breaking down much younger than Lebron are high. If he wants to win with a 2nd group it will be time to say adios. That's about our best hope for some semblance of parity.

Won't matter - I'm sure Kawhi will sign with GS for the MLE a year from now.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That every team wishes they had..... lead recruiter for KD and Boogie.  Can Texas hire him after he retires?

Maybe the Warriors should hire Rick Barnes after Dray retires.

Edited by Machinator

Regarding the tweet up there, if lebron really was all about winning then he could have taken around $5mil less to help with the cap. Yet, he signs for as big as he can and no one comments on that. Never going to disagree with someone trying to get their money but it seems hypocritical when he says he just wants to win. 

Never stop being you.

I'll admit that I overreacted bitchily to Boogie's signing. It's too strong of a locker room/culture to have one dude break it (and I honestly don't think he will act out: he just picked the most fun environment to rehab in, win an easy ring, and set himself up to get fucking paid next year). 

But, it would be like Houston fans acquiring Russ, or San Antonio fans taking on Kevin Garnett; yeah, in your mind you realize that it probably makes the team better...but it diminishes a little bit of why you enjoy watching the team in the first place.

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Regarding the tweet up there, if lebron really was all about winning then he could have taken around $5mil less to help with the cap. Yet, he signs for as big as he can and no one comments on that. Never going to disagree with someone trying to get their money but it seems hypocritical when he says he just wants to win. 

I think him going to LA throws some serious doubt on him "just [wanting] to win". But in LeBron's defense, he's also the VP of the NBPA.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'll admit that I overreacted bitchily to Boogie's signing. It's too strong of a locker room/culture to have one dude break it (and I honestly don't think he will act out: he just picked the most fun environment to rehab in, win an easy ring, and set himself up to get fucking paid next year). 

But, it would be like Houston fans acquiring Russ, or San Antonio fans taking on Kevin Garnett; yeah, in your mind you realize that it probably makes the team better...but it diminishes a little bit of why you enjoy watching the team in the first place.

Dude, I cheered on a guy who made Asian eyes at the opposing pitcher in the World Series last year.  It's sports.  Stop being an aggy and enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Obviously he’s not all about winning, or he wouldn’t have gone to LA in the first place.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

GS was fun to watch with splash bros. They got historic with KD for a bit(1 year), but we've seen enough...theres nothing to prove. Boogie being the is just sucked the fun out of the entire season.

plus having tech monies to pay for the tax hit makes it that much more pointless 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

Dude, I cheered on a guy who made Asian eyes at the opposing pitcher in the World Series last year.  It's sports.  Stop being an aggy and enjoy it.

I enjoy the aesthetic aspects of basketball a whole hell of a lot more than getting to say "my team won." It's pro sports: I have absolutely zero affiliation with Golden State, and take zero personal pride when they win. I like watching them play, that's it. I didn't love KD's signing because they (and the league) became a little less fun to watch, despite their dominance. Boogie continues the trend. 

51 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

There's two parts to that veto that go beyond just stacking the Lakers which had to do with money the other owners wouldn't get as a result of it. 1. It would allow the Lakers to not have to pay like $30m in luxury taxes which would go directly to the other owners and 2. other owners were worried that it would greatly take away from the value of the Hornets when they were sold and the owners divvied up the proceeds. Dan Gilbert was a big factor in Stern stepping in. He objected that the Lakers would simultaneously be getting a top 5 player for very little while also saving a ton of money which made it too good of a trade for them.

22 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Durant signing for less didn't let them get cousins, it saved a billionaire 20 million. Good job bro

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I enjoy the aesthetic aspects of basketball a whole hell of a lot more than getting to say "my team won." It's pro sports: I have absolutely zero affiliation with Golden State, and take zero personal pride when they win. I like watching them play, that's it. I didn't love KD's signing because they (and the league) became a little less fun to watch, despite their dominance. Boogie continues the trend. 

You're also an Aggie which makes you doublely stupid