Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When did you become such a bitch? Not everyone reads all 200+ post between visits especially when every fucking post is a tweet just about that has no information in it. These to threads were better when it was just articles being posted and important shit. Now every single tweet is posted here so it makes it tougher to keep up with than it used to be. 

It takes three seconds and a barely functional brainstem to quickly skim past cone drill videos and expand the meatier IT/TFB articles to see if they're worth looking at if you just want a general picture of what happened over the weekend.

Recapping articles that were posted on the same day someone asks a repetitive question clogs the thread worse than actually relevant camp videos.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

ANDREW IVINS:  Top247 TE Jaleel Skinner eyeing summer visits

(Sounds pretty positive ... more definitive than others quoted in such articles.)

(Also - not sure why they refer to him as top ranked ... but he's highly ranked, regardless.)

Spoiler

Top247 TE Jaleel Skinner eyeing summer visits
ANDREW IVINS

NORCROSS, Ga. – The nation's No. 1-ranked tight end looked the part on Sunday as Jaleel Skinner made a pair of contested catches and proved to be a reliable target at the Pylon 7-on-7 tournament outside of Atlanta. That earned Skinner a spot on the 247Sports' top performers list for the two-day event.

While there's no question that Skinner is talented, many are wondering where the lanky pass catcher out of Greer (S.C.) is headed to school and it sounds like it will be a while before anyone finds out.

"I don’t really have one," Skinner told 247Sports when asked about a timeline for a commitment. "I just want to take some visits."

Skinner then quickly clarified what type of visits he wants to take.

“I’m trying to take unofficials before I take officials," Skinner explained.

So where does Skinner want to visit whenever the NCAA lifts its temporary recruiting dead period?

“Florida, Texas and Arizona State," Skinner said. "Those are the big ones for me right now.”

Skinner has had his name linked a bunch to the Gators in the past and for good reason as he's a big fan of what Dan Mullen and his staff did last season with Kyle Pitts, who is expected to be selected in the first round of the upcoming NFL Draft.

“I like how they use their tight ends," Skinner said. "That’s the one thing that I love.”

Skinner recently did a virtual visit with UF. He also did one with the Longhorns, which is notable because he hasn't really talked up Texas before.

"I love Coach Sark, that’s my guy," Skinner said in reference to new UT head man Steve Sarkisian. "He said that they see me as a big receiver because they know how to use their guys."

The Longhorns didn't offer Skinner until just a few months ago, but has quickly connected with the Sarkisian and others in Austin.

"I have been talking to them everyday building a great relationship with them," Skinner said. 

The Sun Devils are another school that Skinner hasn't talked up much in the past.

“I like the young coaching staff. They got a lot going on right now. That 2022 recruiting class is going to be deep," Skinner said.

While Texas and Arizona State are certainly giving Skinner plenty to think about, many feel like Clemson posses the biggest threat to Florida in the recruitment and Skinner was quick to confirm that he has met a number of times virtually with the Tigers and that he's talking with Dabo Swinney's staff pretty much "every day."

“It’s easy to go to Clemson," Skinner noted while discussing the places he wants to visit. "I’m trying to see schools that are a little further. I can go to Clemson anytime I want."

Skinner is listed at 6-foot-5, 210 pounds. He got snaps at wide receiver, tight end and cornerback as a junior and also played varsity basketball in the winter months.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think a better alternative would be create the Twitter thread for people who give a shit about some linemen doing a cone drill. And have one for actual information and debating

You're right and wrong here. Though it can get annoying that we gotta get a tweet shared any time a prospect takes a shit, most of the tweets shared are at least somewhat topical.

But to your original point re: cth's Winfield question, the nugget in question was deeply tucked away behind a spoiler, and wasn't very clear in regards to the question cth had. So yah, I get you on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You're right and wrong here. Though it can get annoying that we gotta get a tweet shared any time a prospect takes a shit, most of the tweets shared are at least somewhat topical.

But to your original point re: cth's Winfield question, the nugget in question was deeply tucked away behind a spoiler, and wasn't very clear in regards to the question cth had. So yah, I get you on that one. 

Like the dumbass Texas crystal ball tweets are the worst. I miss the days when it'd be posted that a rush of CB's are going to a player but instead we have to see 7 tweets to the one fucking prospect from the stupid ass cyrstal ball tweet thing. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Like the dumbass Texas crystal ball tweets are the worst. I miss the days when it'd be posted that a rush of CB's are going to a player but instead we have to see 7 tweets to the one fucking prospect from the stupid ass cyrstal ball tweet thing. 

Hell, even the local computer here gets annoyed with all of the redundant crystal balls, but that's normally only after he's not the first to post one. They're topical though, and at least understandable. Sometimes I'll just be farting around on twitter, see a CB pop up and come here and post it if I don't see it. 

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When did you become such a bitch? Not everyone reads all 200+ post between visits especially when every fucking post is a tweet just about that has no information in it. These to threads were better when it was just articles being posted and important shit. Now every single tweet is posted here so it makes it tougher to keep up with than it used to be. 

A tweet that is often hidden.......

So who's putting the heat/negative recruiting Winfield?  I thought tOSO wasn't a factor anymore, he had cooled on OU, and surely he isn't considering aggy and that offense.  IIRC he did have some OU and tOSU picks at one time though.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So who's putting the heat/negative recruiting Winfield?  I thought tOSO wasn't a factor anymore, he had cooled on OU, and surely he isn't considering aggy and that offense.  IIRC he did have some OU and tOSU picks at one time though.

No idea. I suppose it's possible that he saw his buddy decommit to take visits while not being committed, and started thinking about doing the same

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

ANDREW IVINS:  Top247 TE Jaleel Skinner eyeing summer visits

(Sounds pretty positive ... more definitive than others quoted in such articles.)

(Also - not sure why they refer to him as top ranked ... but he's highly ranked, regardless.)

Reveal hidden contents

Top247 TE Jaleel Skinner eyeing summer visits
ANDREW IVINS

NORCROSS, Ga. – The nation's No. 1-ranked tight end looked the part on Sunday as Jaleel Skinner made a pair of contested catches and proved to be a reliable target at the Pylon 7-on-7 tournament outside of Atlanta. That earned Skinner a spot on the 247Sports' top performers list for the two-day event.

While there's no question that Skinner is talented, many are wondering where the lanky pass catcher out of Greer (S.C.) is headed to school and it sounds like it will be a while before anyone finds out.

"I don’t really have one," Skinner told 247Sports when asked about a timeline for a commitment. "I just want to take some visits."

Skinner then quickly clarified what type of visits he wants to take.

“I’m trying to take unofficials before I take officials," Skinner explained.

So where does Skinner want to visit whenever the NCAA lifts its temporary recruiting dead period?

“Florida, Texas and Arizona State," Skinner said. "Those are the big ones for me right now.”

Skinner has had his name linked a bunch to the Gators in the past and for good reason as he's a big fan of what Dan Mullen and his staff did last season with Kyle Pitts, who is expected to be selected in the first round of the upcoming NFL Draft.

“I like how they use their tight ends," Skinner said. "That’s the one thing that I love.”

Skinner recently did a virtual visit with UF. He also did one with the Longhorns, which is notable because he hasn't really talked up Texas before.

"I love Coach Sark, that’s my guy," Skinner said in reference to new UT head man Steve Sarkisian. "He said that they see me as a big receiver because they know how to use their guys."

The Longhorns didn't offer Skinner until just a few months ago, but has quickly connected with the Sarkisian and others in Austin.

"I have been talking to them everyday building a great relationship with them," Skinner said. 

The Sun Devils are another school that Skinner hasn't talked up much in the past.

“I like the young coaching staff. They got a lot going on right now. That 2022 recruiting class is going to be deep," Skinner said.

While Texas and Arizona State are certainly giving Skinner plenty to think about, many feel like Clemson posses the biggest threat to Florida in the recruitment and Skinner was quick to confirm that he has met a number of times virtually with the Tigers and that he's talking with Dabo Swinney's staff pretty much "every day."

“It’s easy to go to Clemson," Skinner noted while discussing the places he wants to visit. "I’m trying to see schools that are a little further. I can go to Clemson anytime I want."

Skinner is listed at 6-foot-5, 210 pounds. He got snaps at wide receiver, tight end and cornerback as a junior and also played varsity basketball in the winter months.

What does this say please?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Others seem to be managing to keep up just fine. “Reading is hard” is probably going to continue to be a widely mocked stance on the recruiting board for the University of Texas. But by all means feel free to start another news only/link thread and go watch the tumbleweeds roll past you there. Otherwise the football board or texags awaits! 

also the positive reps your posts got for the scathing hot “everyone stop and spoon feed me info because I hate words” take is a pretty telling illustration. You’re in great company. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re right. I’ll go back to the not poors thread. Carry on broke bitches. 

Look everyone, it’s the Taylor Hamm of the 995 board. Are you 5’5” too? Maybe we can change your username to BurntOrange&Slight. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

also the positive reps your posts got for the scathing hot “everyone stop and spoon feed me info because I hate words” take is a pretty telling illustration. You’re in great company. 

I was really struggling to identify the posters pretending to be poor like the rest of us

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Others seem to be managing to keep up just fine. “Reading is hard” is probably going to continue to be a widely mocked stance on the recruiting board for the University of Texas. But by all means feel free to start another news only/link thread and go watch the tumbleweeds roll past you there. Otherwise the football board or texags awaits! 

Look everyone, it’s the Taylor Hamm of the 995 board. Are you 5’5” too? Maybe we can change your username to BurntOrange&Slight. 

What do you mean?  I gave him several positive reps

• Haha 3

Blair Angulo: Recruiting buzz from loaded Under Armour Dallas

ARLINGTON, Texas – There was star power no matter where you looked Sunday at the Under Armour All-American Camp Series stop just outside Dallas in what could be considered one of the most stacked showcases in recent memory. Accompanying all that talent, of course, was the unavoidable recruiting buzz ahead of what appears to be the end of the year-long dead period. Prospects and their families are antsy to hit the road for visits, meet coaches in person and take the next steps in their recruiting journeys. An overlying sense of optimism was prevalent among the many un-committed recruits in the event. Here is a look at some of the notable recruiting tidbits from the camp:

– Frisco (Texas) Liberty Top247 receiver Evan Stewart backed off his commitment to Texas this past week and, although the Longhorns remain in play for the Under Armour All-American, there is some serious SEC flavor to his list of suitors moving forward, with the likes of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida and Texas A&M all involved. Stewart told Steve Wiltfong, the Director of Recruiting for 247Sports, that he intends to "see everything" before he makes another college decision. Read the full update on Stewart and his thoughts on the aforementioned programs here: https://247sports.com/Article/Evan-Stewart-college-football-recruiting-top-schools-recruiting-162413974/.

– Alabama, Florida State, Houston, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and USC remain the front-runners for Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star offensive guard Devon Campbell, who hopes to make some college stops this summer. Campbell, the nation's No. 7 overall prospect according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings, likely won't make a commitment until the Early Signing Period in December. Read the full update on Campbell's evolving process here.

– Shazz Preston, a top 100 prospect in the Composite out of Saint James, La., didn't compete in the event but was in attendance to watch and mentioned LSU, Texas, Alabama, Florida State and Mississippi State as programs that have been making a strong push in his recruitment. Preston hasn't even thought about narrowing his list down and doesn't have a time frame for making a decision, with the plan to hit the road for some trips in the coming months. The in-state Tigers hold the lone vote so far in the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

– Plano (Texas) John Paul four-star cornerback Terrance Brooks, who was the Alpha Dog top performer in the event according to 247Sports, wants to decide before his senior season and is beginning to sort through possible official visits. Notre Dame is sure to be one of those five, while the likes of Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and Oregon continue to jostle for position.

– One head coach that Carthage, Texas, linebacker Kip Lewis has been hitting it off with is Ed Orgeron at LSU. Despite not being able to meet with staff for the last year, the impressive defender said Orgeron's personality has been popping through virtual meetings and calls. Oklahoma holds a good position in the recruiting battle early on and Lewis intends to get to Texas this coming weekend for a self-guided visit.

– Although the Sooners continue to hold a unanimous lead in the Crystal Ball for Jacob Sexton, the four-star offensive lineman from Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek said he is establishing a connection with the new coaches at Texas and is excited to continue building a relationship before making his round of visits. Alabama, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are the other three programs in Sexton's top five and it does sound like it will come down to the official visits.

– Oklahoma drew a self-guided visit from Pilot Point (Texas) two-way standout Ish Harris over the weekend and he plans to get to Texas A&M this coming weekend as well. Harris, who turned heads at running back but is also a dynamic hybrid safety and linebacker, said he is beginning to narrow down his choices based on the best education and possibility for early playing time, with a target date for a decision set for mid-season. Harris said he also wants to visit Alabama, Texas and Utah on top of the Sooners and Aggies.

– The official visit picture is becoming clearer for Arlington (Texas) Martin four-star defensive end Ernest Cooper IV, who said the likes of Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M all intrigue him heading into spring. Stanford holds the lone vote so far in the Crystal Ball for the explosive 6-foot-4, 235-pound edge rusher.

– Composite four-star offensive guard Cole Hutson from Frisco (Texas) said he has been talking consistently with Oklahoma and Texas, and he's also developing great relationships with Alabama, Penn State and Ohio State. Right now he is considering all options and, once the dead period is lifted, intends to trim down his list, begin prioritizing certain schools and then take trips before making a college choice heading into his senior year.?

– California, Michigan and Notre Dame are three schools Katy (Texas) three-star wideout Nicholas Anderson plans to officially visit once the dead period is lifted. The impressive pass-catcher wants to take as many June visits as he can and said programs are starting to outline possible dates. Arkansas is one of the teams closer to home that is beginning to make a stronger advance.

– Keller (Texas) four-star running back Emeka Megwa said that Ole Miss, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Mizzou and Washington are the schools standing out the most right now, with a decision timeline set for May before his spring game.

– The Crystal Ball has been trending in Oklahoma's favor for Manvel (Texas) three-star linebacker Justin Medlock, who said he's liked what he's seen from defensive coordinator Alex Grinch since he arrived in Norman. Oregon and LSU are two others that Medlock is high on at the moment, particularly given the style of play and NFL development.

– Duke and Oklahoma State are two to watch for Bray Lynch, the three-star offensive tackle from Austin (Texas) Westlake. Lynch noted his relationship with coach Greg Frey as a reason why he is so high on the Blue Devils, while the Cowboys continue to make a strong impression since joining the chase with an offer in early February.

– Anthony Hill, a top 100 prospect in the 2023 class out of Denton (Texas) Ryan, mentioned Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma and Ohio State as programs that are sticking out to him heading into the spring. This summer could be an important one for the four-star prospect if he's able to get out to different parts of the country to see some of his suitors.

247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong and Horns247 reporter Mike Roach contributed to this report.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike Roach:  Elite safety Jacoby Mathews talks Texas interest

Spoiler

Elite safety Jacoby Mathews talks Texas interest

Mike Roach

ATLANTA — Jacoby Mathews recently cut his schools down to six finalists, and the Longhorns are right in the mix. The five-star safety from Ponchatoula (LA.) had several existing relationships with coaches on the staff.

"It's all the way up," he said. "It's definitely a top three school. I've known a lot of people on their staff since they were at different schools so the relationship with them is really good."

Blake Gideon is the primary point of contact for Texas. Mathews knew Gideon going back to his time at Ole Miss, and he feels Gideon is invested in him deeper than just football.

"I talk with coach Gideon," he said. "I like the way he looks out for me in life instead of just football. He's talking about life after football which I like a lot."

Mathews played 7-on-7 with Texas target Bryce Anderson several times this year and has been talking to him about what life in the state of Texas is like.

"Bryce has really been telling me a lot about Texas that I never knew," he said. "Just about how living in Texas is and stuff like that. He really gave me a few pointers that made me open my eyes to Texas," Mathews said.

Mathews plays on both sides of the ball, but his focus is on defense. Some schools want him on offense, and he'd take the opportunity to play both ways if possible.

"Mississippi State will let me play both sides, Auburn offered me as a receiver and Nebraska offered me as a quarterback," he said. "I really want to excel at the safety position so I'm really focused on that. If it comes to the point where the school I choose lets me play both sides I'll definitely do it."

Mathews said the Texas fans are what stick out most to him when he thinks about the program. Mathews also has family in the greater Houston area and has visited the state many times.

"When I think about Texas, I think about the big fanbase," he said. "I feel like a fanbase like that can't be beat. I've been to Texas a lot, I've got family out there."

Mathews has been to Texas for a game before. He felt the game environment and stadium atmosphere were tough to top.

"I've been to Austin before to watch a game," he said. "It's crazy. The fans are crazy and I like it."

Mathews wants to visit every school in his final six. While he's only allowed five official visits, he feels it's mandatory to see all of his finalists.

"I want to visit every school in my Top 6," he said. "It's mandatory I get there."

At 6-foot-1, 204 pounds, Mathews is ranked as the No. 2 safety in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

We only have one committed and he's shaky.

Also, having a bunch of mediocre receivers has no real impact on how many good WRs you want to take.

Turns out we should have hired a real WR coach instead of settling for Coleman

Just my opinion, but it sounds to me like roach is hedging big time on the next decommitment rather than having solid info. He was out of the loop when Evan "I've actually met him" Stewart decommitted so this allows him to act like he knew about the next one (if there is another one). He'll say something like "this was what I was alluding to at the UA camp" if something actually happens. Again, just me opinion based on roach rarely knowing shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Like another poster said, there's gonna be quite a few decommits once kids are allowed to visit schools. It sucks, but it is what it is. We'll see how well of a recruiter Sark is when this happens. 

*good

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Houston20 said:

May not be a popular opinion on here, but I'd also be in favor of Sark taking a page out of Clemson's book: A recruit can't commit until he actually visits (barring unique situations).

Except recruits haven't been able to visit for over a year, and won't be allowed to visit until June.

Soooooo........ Don't recruit?

2 hours ago, Houston20 said:

Just my opinion, but it sounds to me like roach is hedging big time on the next decommitment rather than having solid info. He was out of the loop when Evan "I've actually met him" Stewart decommitted so this allows him to act like he knew about the next one (if there is another one). He'll say something like "this was what I was alluding to at the UA camp" if something actually happens. Again, just me opinion based on roach rarely knowing shit.

This shit would only work if you have Clemson level results.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike Roach:  Texas one of a few schools standing out for Terrance Brooks

Spoiler

Texas one of a few schools standing out for Terrance Brooks

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Terrance Brooks was the best defensive player on the field at Under Armour's Dallas camp on Sunday.

The four-star cornerback from Plano John Paul II has quietly been developing into one of the best defenders in the country and he felt he accomplished the goal he set for himself before the day.

"Everything went good," he said. "I dominated on the field. That's all that matters just out here competing today."

Brooks is hearing from a ton of schools at the moment, but a few are standing out right now. Texas is in the mix thanks to Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian.

"Alabama, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon and Nebraska," he said. "I'm talking to coach Sark and coach Joseph from Texas."

Brooks previously had a strong relationship with Chris Ash after the former Texas defensive coordinator offered him last year. When Ash moved on, Joseph picked up where he left off and the two had a budding relationship from Joseph's time at Notre Dame.

"They picked up right away," he said. "Me and coach Joseph were already talking at Notre Dame. We just picked up right when he got there and started building the relationship again."

Brooks is looking at narrowing down his choices over the next month. He's undecided on how big the cut is going to be at the moment.

"I plan on narrowing it down probably around April or May," he said. "I'm trying to decide between a Top 12 or a Top 5."

When it comes time to make his decision, Brooks has a few items he wants to check off of his agenda.

"Playing time, relationship with the coaches, and how good the school is," Brooks said. "Playing time is one of the most important things to me. I would like to play corner, but I'll play any position in the backfield."

At 6-feet, 185 pounds, Brooks is ranked as the No. 24 cornerback in the nation and No. 32 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting