Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This was, sadly, the most hilarious play of the year for me. I was in the stands around the 30 when he fielded the kick and came running towards our section. I assumed a lateral play was about to ensue, then I realized that this guy seriously thought he had a chance to return the ball and score. You could see it on his face. I laughed in real time and people looked at me as if I was insane. Cade Brewer is another in a long line of inexplicable personnel decisions that insist upon themselves. That guy has been doing jack shit on the field for 7 years, it seems. 

You asshole. Cade meant well. He even yelled "McGuffie!" while he was doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

No. You don't go easy on anyone. Thats part of the culture problem.

If you reward a player in Bush who is a tryhard over a guy in Collins who is an actual difference maker - because of effort at practice to the detriment of the team -- you aren't instilling a culture of competition, you are instilling a culture of compliance. Period. Instead of ineffective punitive bullshit that doesn't work (starting Bush over Collins - which hurts both Bush and Collins as players - and the entire team) because of practice effort -- they should be identifying the psychology of why the effort wasn't there and finding a way to motivate. That's the actual job. 

Playing your best 11 guys gives you the best chance to win - do you know what motivates more than winning? nothing. Do you know what's more cancerous to the culture than losing? Nothing. 

Starting a bunch of fucking spares in front of their more talented peers isn't creating a winning culture and isn't EVER going to result in a "lightbulb coming on" moment because that's not how people are motivated and it's certainly not rewarding competition. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

Devon Campbell

Reveal hidden contents

Five-star Arlington (Texas) Bowie IOL Devon Campbell has scheduled official visits to Texas and LSU.

The 6-foot-3, 310-pound IOL prospect with an 81-inch wingspan will take official visits to Texas on November 13 and LSU on November 27.

The Longhorns were thought to be in line to receive the final official visit for the No. 19 ranked prospect in the country, but that won’t be the case.

Instead, the Tigers will receive the final official visit to end the month of November. They will do so without a permanent head coach.

Campbell has made a trio of official visits thus far. USC was the first to host the DFW mauler on June 4. Oklahoma received an official visit on June 18.

Campbell has also made a number of unofficial visits. The Longhorns hosted Campbell on a pair of unofficial visits over the summer. Oklahoma and USC have hosted Campbell this season.

One key note is that Campbell has decided not to make a second official visit to USC. With the firing of Clay Helton, the NCAA would allow Campbell to do so if he desired.

Campbell is expected to announce his decision on December 15, the first day of the early signing period.

Campbell is the No. 1 ranked IOL prospect in the 2022 class. He’s the No. 5 ranked prospect in the Lone Star State’s loaded 2022 cycle.

Devon Campbell is one of those players that people have repeatedly said is coming here, but his actions have never indicated that is the case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

If you reward a player in Bush who is a tryhard over a guy in Collins who is an actual difference maker - because of effort at practice to the detriment of the team -- you aren't instilling a culture of competition, you are instilling a culture of compliance. Period. Instead of ineffective punitive bullshit that doesn't work (starting Bush over Collins - which hurts both Bush and Collins as players - and the entire team) because of practice effort -- they should be identifying the psychology of why the effort wasn't there and finding a way to motivate. That's the actual job. 

Playing your best 11 guys gives you the best chance to win - do you know what motivates more than winning? nothing. Do you know what's more cancerous to the culture than losing? Nothing. 

Starting a bunch of fucking spares in front of their more talented peers isn't creating a winning culture and isn't EVER going to result in a "lightbulb coming on" moment because that's not how people are motivated and it's certainly not rewarding competition. 

wrong. You earn playing time in practice. If a young man isn't practicing to the best of his abilities, you find out why. You don't reward him. That's the culture that Sark is trying to change.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The Ol'Showteam Hero Syndrome. Some no talent dipshit is going balls to the wall during run-throughs in the offseason and summer camp, so he starts getting praise and exemplary reps by a new staff looking to make a point. It's just fucking dumb. I could walk onto campus right now and pull some dipshit out of RTF class who would be super fucking pumped to get starting reps at Texas. It doesn't mean I should, though. 

We had Showteam Heroes in high school and one of them laid a fellow starting wide receiver out catching a ball over the middle during 11 on 11 drills at the end of practice on Wednesday before the Friday night game. The WR missed the game that weekend and the STH was so abused by the staff and team that he ended up quitting before the season was over. You don't applaud that kind of asshat and let him play the entire second half against OU as the team collapses. Fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

wrong. You earn playing time in practice. If a young man isn't practicing to the best of his abilities, you find out why. You don't reward him. That's the culture that Sark is trying to change.

Hall of fame super bowl and national championship winning coach Jimmy Johnson strongly disagrees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, realgreggym said:

You have no idea what Sarkisian is trying to do, and neither do we. In fact, I'm not sure Sarkisian does. He looks completely lost out there and so does his team. Stop wishcasting this nonsense.

We're witnessing another failed coaching hire in real time. We don't need the turd-polishing. If you want to play make believe, go to your granddaughters' tea party this afternoon and tell them about your newest invisible friend named Steve and have them update you on the same from their end. It will save everyone some time and your grandkids might actually enjoy the company.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You have no idea what Sarkisian is trying to do, and neither do we. In fact, I'm not sure Sarkisian does. He looks completely lost out there and so does his team. Stop wishcasting this nonsense.

We're witnessing another failed coaching hire in real time. We don't need the turd-polishing. If you want to play make believe, go to your granddaughters' tea party this afternoon and tell them about your newest invisible friend named Steve and have them update you on the same from their end. It will save everyone some time and your grandkids might actually enjoy the company.

I’ll be positive at least we’re seeing this in year 1 and not 3 

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - The Electric Moped
8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

And you don't change the culture and 5 years from now, you're still bitching about the culture. If Bush is getting playing time over Collins, that tells me that he is trying to change the culture. Let's see what happens when his kids come in  next year. The only one here playing make believe is you. I live in the real world and understand that regretfully, these things take more than 1 year. You probably think that the first runner to the 13 mile mark wins the marathon.

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

And you don't change the culture and 5 years from now, you're still bitching about the culture. If Bush is getting playing time over Collins, that tells me that he is trying to change the culture. Let's see what happens when his kids come in  next year. The only one here playing make believe is you. I live in the real world and understand that regretfully, these things take more than 1 year. You probably think that the first runner to the 13 mile mark wins the marathon.

So you're looking to throw out all of these young men for a completely new set of young men, sir? I find that to be quite harmful to these young student athletes giving their blood, sweat and tears to this grind of a program. How dare you?

Look, rationalize this stunning flop of a staff and HC all you want, but Tom fucking Herman went 7-3 last year with these "young men" and lost 3 games by a combined 13 points. This wasn't a total rebuild. Baylor and Oklahoma State are jag squads and Arkansas isn't far behind that. Texas has been straight up depantsed and outcoached 4 times this year. Can things get better with better jimmies and joes? Sure. Hell, maybe with Sarkisian's own "kids" he can even get up to 7 wins in 2022 and justify his moniker earned from prior disappointing stops.

I don’t think I’ve seen Bush on the field in 2 games. And despite Collins getting much more playing time it hasn’t changed shit on the defense and Collins has rarely flashed. Do we even know if Sark makes the personnel decisions on D/DL? Really not even sure what the point of this argument is besides GC and GC jr reaching for anything to shit on Sark at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, rationalize this stunning flop of a staff and HC all you want, but Tom fucking Herman went 7-3 last year with these "young men" and lost 3 games by a combined 13 points.

Texas was in the bottom ten in the country (and last in the Big 12) in returning production coming into this year. Just in case context mattered at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I don’t think I’ve seen Bush on the field in 2 games. And despite Collins getting much more playing time it hasn’t changed shit on the defense and Collins has rarely flashed. Do we even know if Sark makes the personnel decisions on D/DL? Really not even sure what the point of this argument is besides GC and GC jr reaching for anything to shit on Sark at this point.

I'll admit that I am going to derive an embarrassing amount of entertainment out of running over Sarkisian and his staff repeatedly from here, and getting to see the equivocators for him like you bawl about it. 

Texas is staring down the barrel of a 5-7 season and you're going to be sprinting around here for an entire offseason apologizing for him over it. 

In any event, start working on your next handle maybe? I'm thinking something like "BlowingTraylorInMyTrailer" could work for your proclivities, but there's still a little time.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Texas was in the bottom ten in the country (and last in the Big 12) in returning production coming into this year. Just in case context mattered at all.

Narrator: It doesn’t. Fuck everything this shit sucks. Fire Steve. Pay Saban 20 million a year. Bound to be cheaper than buyouts plus salary b

• Haha 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

I'll admit that I am going to derive an embarrassing amount of entertainment out of running over Sarkisian and his staff repeatedly from here, and getting to see the equivocators for him like you bawl about it. 

Texas is staring down the barrel of a 5-7 season and you're going to be sprinting around here for an entire offseason apologizing for him over it. 

In any event, start working on your next handle maybe? I'm thinking something like "BlowingTraylorInMyTrailer" could work for your proclivities, but there's still a little time.

Actually a solid handle tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

I can count returning starters on ourlads or in the magazines as well. My "context" is pretty simple right now. I've watched this staff get laughably run over coming out of halftime in three straight games. I saw this staff unlock a blowout worse than any during the Fuckface Era. Whatever my misgivings over Herman, and I've got a ton of them and I am very happy he's gone, he doesn't lose all four of those games and probably doesn't get fully embarrassed in Fayetteville. 

Doesn't matter. We'll get to rinse and repeat in 2024.

IT Scoop. Hope y'all have a blessed day

Spoiler

November 13 is a massive recruiting weekend

The Longhorns will be hosting On300 No. 61 and USC quarterback verbal Devin Brown and 5-star IOL Devon Campbell on official visits.

Brown is a top target for Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss, which does not have a 2022 signal caller in the class. Texas would love to win out for Brown, or bring in a starting level transfer out of the portal prior to the beginning of spring practice.

Campbell is still trending toward a Texas-Oklahoma battle leading up to a December 15 early signing period decision. Interesting news is that Campbell will not take advantage of the NCAA rule allowing a second official visit to USC due to Clay Helton’s firing. That’s another data point that signals to a Texas-OU battle unless Alabama can pull the upset. Campbell will make his official to LSU on November 27. Chances are LSU still won’t have a head coach named to replace Ed Orgeron.

Texas is also very likely to get a couple of flip candidates on campus November 13 for the Kansas game. Should that happen, this would end up being the biggest remaining recruiting weekend in the 2022 cycle for Steve Sarkisian and staff.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: The 6-foot-2, 180-pound pass-catcher remains committed to the good guys. But Michigan State and Mel Tucker aren't letting up. Sparty has made serious strides in this pursuit and Winfield admits MSU being "8-0" has his attention. The long-time Longhorn pledge isn't letting what he's seen on the field recently deter him from his decision, but the Spartans have his attention right now. What if Tucker bolts for Baton Rouge? Winfield has visited LSU before. Tucker in Baton Rouge might make things even more challenging for the Texas staff. Winfield is having a good year and obviously plays a position of great need.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) (OREGON) - 2022: After his Oregon commitment in June, the four-star has remained solid to the Ducks. But he's still talking to schools, namely Texas and Texas A&M. Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks aren't letting up and staying closer to home is still a possibility as of today.

Banks' family wants him to be happy and is content with his decision, but the closer we get to early signing day, the more distance might be a factor. The potential for early playing time is something that really intrigues Banks, who is on his second commitment after an early pledge to Oklahoma State his sophomore year.

Texas remains in contact with Banks and his circle. The Longhorns know that there is reason Banks is a growing possibility to stay closer to home at the end of the day. Oregon is aware of this possibility as well.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022: According to the same locked-in DFW source that spoke to IT last week about Texas A&M or Texas being the likely destination for the 5-star receiver, IT was informed over the weekend that the Texas staff was taken aback by the Aggies making headway in the recruitment. Just three weeks ago, there was a very confident feeling that Stewart would be a Longhorn.

WR Jordan Nabors, Heath (Rockwall, TX) (BAYLOR) - 2022: Contingencies are a necessity in this business, and Texas and Andre Coleman have been watching the BU pledge closely over the last month. Nabors was in the house for the Baylor win in Waco, and if you thought he was leaning one way or another, consider him a stronger commit for the Bears today.

With TCU's head coaching vacancy, there's a handful of Frogs commits that Texas could engage with, namely wide receiver Matthew Golden, wide receiver DJ Allen, or athlete Major Everhart.

WR Ashton Cozart, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2023: After being a frequent guest of the Horns this year, Cozart is looking to come back for a game this month.

Andre Coleman and Chris Gilbert continue to pace this recruitment and there's a sense that won't stop anytime soon. Cozart has always been enamored with the Horns since his move to Texas, and he's one of the 2023 targets that still sees big things from this Texas staff. He holds 25 offers including Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and OU, but he could return to Austin soon. Each time he hits the ATX, he sees burnt orange a little more.

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX) - 2023: Like Cozart, the recent slide hasn't hurt with the four-star playmaker. Maybe its Arch Madness, or perhaps he sees the bigger picture with a Texas degree, but Cook maintains his eyes are on Texas.

Cook is a player that sees early playing time, and despite his junior status, still has the confidence he can come in and contribute early and often. Call it the Xavier Worthy factor. Again, IT thinks as long as UT is in a good spot for Arch Manning, they'll be in good standing with Cook.

Of Note: Texas remains in contact with Tyler Junior College linebacker Xavier Benson. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound middle linebacker continues to have a fantastic sophomore season in the JUCO ranks. Others are starting to take notice.

Indiana, Memphis, Kansas, and Sam Houston State all offered on Sunday, and after speaking with TJC staffers, it sounds like more interest will be shown soon. Oklahoma State is a school that is creeping up and makes a lot of sense, outside of Texas of course. He could instantly inject physicality and linebacker know-how into the program in Austin. It remains to be seen how hard UT will push, but after the last month of football, ready-made linebackers are needed.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

OK, cool. So the wheels falling off at halftime three games in a row is totally acceptable. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So you're looking to throw out all of these young men for a completely new set of young men, sir? I find that to be quite harmful to these young student athletes giving their blood, sweat and tears to this grind of a program. How dare you?

Look, rationalize this stunning flop of a staff and HC all you want, but Tom fucking Herman went 7-3 last year with these "young men" and lost 3 games by a combined 13 points. This wasn't a total rebuild. Baylor and Oklahoma State are jag squads and Arkansas isn't far behind that. Texas has been straight up depantsed and outcoached 4 times this year. Can things get better with better jimmies and joes? Sure. Hell, maybe with Sarkisian's own "kids" he can even get up to 7 wins in 2022 and justify his moniker earned from prior disappointing stops.

I didn't say that. Quit acting like a jerk although you do it well. Lets see what kind of effort these young men give when they get to campus. If I remember correctly, when a new recruit came on campus, Mack put them as a back up and went from there. If some of the new kids come in and give maximum effort and the older players don't, then maybe you need to make some changes. The Baylor staff went 2-9 last year. Do you think they were horrible last year and all of a sudden the coaches became great this year/ I think that you just like to bitch. Keep up the good work.

Yes. He’s one of the most disruptive players we have in terms of pressures. Especially given his snap counts. 

but yea you’re right keep trotting Jett bush out there!

So, according to that tweet, our best two pass rushers rank below nearly a dozen second teamers in the B12. No problem there.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Sarks buyout will be super cheap because of the no drinking clause

curiosity GIF

so you’re saying we get @SydneyCarton to solicit ladies of the night that invoke a bottle of vodka on Sarkisian while taking damaging photos? I like where your head is at!!

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we aren't going young from the next game out to prepare for next season then this staff is further doomed than we thought. No reason guys like the following should be continuing to get meaningful playing time:

Tope Imade

Luke Brockermeyer

Jett Bush

Christian Jones

BJ Foster, along with Juan Davis(should be shown the door, leaving the field in a temper tantrum like they did)

Joshua Moore

Cade Brewer

Ray Thornton has been virtually useless

Brennen Schooler

I'm not sure wtf to do with QB as I feel like Card is already checked out with 1 foot in the portal.

Brewer is our only TE who can block. Watching Wiley block air on run plays while his assignment whizzes by him into the backfield is mind-numbing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we aren't going young from the next game out to prepare for next season then this staff is further doomed than we thought. No reason guys like the following should be continuing to get meaningful playing time:

Tope Imade

Luke Brockermeyer

Jett Bush

Christian Jones

BJ Foster, along with Juan Davis(should be shown the door, leaving the field in a temper tantrum like they did)

Joshua Moore

Cade Brewer

Ray Thornton has been virtually useless

Brennen Schooler

I'm not sure wtf to do with QB as I feel like Card is already checked out with 1 foot in the portal.

Did I miss another BJ quitting episode, was Juan Davis a guest star?

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can count returning starters on ourlads or in the magazines as well. My "context" is pretty simple right now. I've watched this staff get laughably run over coming out of halftime in three straight games. I saw this staff unlock a blowout worse than any during the Fuckface Era. Whatever my misgivings over Herman, and I've got a ton of them and I am very happy he's gone, he doesn't lose all four of those games and probably doesn't get fully embarrassed in Fayetteville. 

Doesn't matter. We'll get to rinse and repeat in 2024.

I'd take that bet. Herman is probably at the same spot. You are talking about where is this team with Herman and without Worthy.. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I'd take that bet. Herman is probably at the same spot. You are talking about where is this team with Herman and without Worthy.. 

How much do you want to bet? I bet $1trillion that Herman would be 5-3 with this schedule were his arrogant shithead personality still calling the shots for Texas on the sidelines. 

Edited by closetojumping

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I am nearly 1000% sure that it is because if it isnt it would be the biggest contract malpractice since aggy

Nothing would surprise me with this AD until proven otherwise. They already screwed up by giving him 6 years. Per the interwebs the buyout this year is only $20.6 million so maybe we have cheap out after year 2 or 3. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How much do you want to bet? I bet $1trillion that Herman would be 5-3 with this schedule were his arrogant shithead personality still calling the shots for Texas on the sidelines. 

what difference you think he would have made? think the offense even builds leads the way Sark did so far?

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The offense would be considerably worse. The defense better. Herman would have pig headed try to run at Baylor all game and in the 4Q went 5 wide and said "Sam, I mean Casey do your thing". Hell given his record vs Patterson, I would not even bet on that being a win. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

Herman would be running Card on QB sweeps to the left side of the OL and we all know it.  Mix in some nice Moore blocking for Whittington screens and there you have it.  Until the urgent comeback attempt  in the 4th and you would see Bijan with his 9th touch of the game on a throwback screen for some nice yardage to give us a little cruel hope.  Oh and Hand would still be sitting at home with a deep freezer full of meats and a warm grill waiting to host some JAGS and then dust off his Oakleys for the photo shoot

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting