Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

other than the obvious Coleman, this was the only other head scratcher.  PK's defense looks like an abortion.  But if I were him defending my case at the end of the year evaluation, I would say wtf, most DCs are hired first and pick their staff.  You hired my staff then hired me

This has been said before, but it is quite odd. I've assumed that, to some extent, Sark is the "head coach" of the offense, while PK is the "head coach" of the defense. But that doesn't make sense. What head coach doesn't hire his assistants?

Edited by TotallyLegit

People still blaming everything on the coaching are crazy. I agree, the coaching has been shit but resume wise, this is the best staff, on paper that we have had in  decades. These players suck bad. I thought to myself earlier, who, on this team that is draft eligible would be drafted? Kerstetter? Overshown maybe, beyond that those two maybe Rochon. Is that all bad coaching? I highly doubt it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I like Gideon but he’s never even been a position coach. Joseph has a good track record of developing NFL safeties at aggy and ND. That’s all I know, I’ll admit

Big miss.  Not sure why he and Coleman are on staff.

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Terry Joesph was terrible at aggy…. Not sure why we hired him.

My guess is because of the Louisiana connections?  Otherwise I don't get it.

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I like Gideon but he’s never even been a position coach. Joseph has a good track record of developing NFL safeties at aggy and ND. That’s all I know, I’ll admit

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

also would have preferred Fickell to Sark of all the likely candidates after CDC fucked the Meyer hire.

Wait, are we back to blaming CDC for the head coach search? I was told he wasn't involved and everything went way over his head.

I take it you're reading the same stuff I am (on either this site or IT) so wondering where you got this idea, or if you're just parroting talking points.

1 minute ago, Big Woodrows said:

Wait, are we back to blaming CDC for the head coach search? I was told he wasn't involved and everything went way over his head.

I take it you're reading the same stuff I am (on either this site or IT) so wondering where you got this idea, or if you're just parroting talking points.

don't believe everything you read, especially this

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Basil Hayden Rye on a big cube. Multiple pours. And watching whatever awful horror movie my wife picks out is how I’m coping with the reality of Texas football. 

Jack Daniels. It's cheap, easily available, and there's plenty of it.

If this keeps up I may need to go grocery store generic.

11 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

People still blaming everything on the coaching are crazy. I agree, the coaching has been shit but resume wise, this is the best staff, on paper that we have had in  decades. These players suck bad. I thought to myself earlier, who, on this team that is draft eligible would be drafted? Kerstetter? Overshown maybe, beyond that those two maybe Rochon. Is that all bad coaching? I highly doubt it.

There is a talent issue and obvious holes on the roster, but it pretty obvious the coaches have made mistakes. Texas is 4-4 and I  think the staff has replaced 2 starters. There is no accountability on the team. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

There is a talent issue and obvious holes on the roster, but it pretty obvious the coaches have made mistakes. Texas is 4-4 and I  think the staff has replaced 2 starters. There is no accountability on the team. 

This. But we are seeing a lot of players rotating in, and none of the guys coming in are looking any better. Most of them actually look worse. Gbenda made a play or two today, so that was nice to see.

We really miss Sam's leadership and chain moving ability. The coaches need to find some way to reach these kids so they can play sound in space and physical/aggressive at the point of attack.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Put me down for Muschamp, Hutzler, and Corey Raymond. Adios to K, Chote, and Joseph. Swap Coleman for Samples, and let’s go wreck shit for a change instead of having our shit wrecked.

Raymond seems set to stick around for at least one season under whoever the new coach is at LSU and go from there. There are still some other excellent DB coaches we can and should kick the tires on. My first call would be Karl Scott (current Vikings CB coach who spent prior two years at Bama) and make absolutely goddamn sure he is loving the NFL and see if money could sway him back to college ranks.

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Correct and this team has no leadership on it. Sam was the heart and soul of the team for 3 years. Roshon seems to be a pretty good leader but he doesn't even play much. The defense has lacked leadership for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Correct and this team has no leadership on it. Sam was the heart and soul of the team for 3 years. Roshon seems to be a pretty good leader but he doesn't even play much. The defense has lacked leadership for years.

Huge part of the issue. Seems like it has been an issue for years 

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Firing PK after one year would take some big balls. I don’t think he’s got it in him. Defense has not been historically bad but just bad enough to not be any good haha. Firing coordinators doesn’t always work look at Ed O, Herman, and Helton.

Yeah I’ve been back and forth on this.  In the end I think you stick with him and throw all your energy at upgrading the roster.  I just don’t think a better guy is going to come here at this point and a change is just more disruption.  Double down on him for continuity and go for broke in the portal.  Of course he might leave on his own. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah I’ve been back and forth on this.  In the end I think you stick with him and throw all your energy at upgrading the roster.  I just don’t think a better guy is going to come here at this point and a change is just more disruption.  Double down on him for continuity and go for broke in the portal.  Of course he might leave on his own. 

You fire him out of a cannon and into the fucking sun if you can get Muschamp or Lanning but both are EXTREME longshots. Better chance that one of those two ends up Bama and the other remains at Georgia DC role. I am really curious what would happen if Saban drops Golding though...   that was Sark's choice behind Muschamp/Lanning/Quinn. Golding isn't really up to that 'Bama standard' but I would prefer him to PK to be perfectly honest. There are just so many unknowns around PK considering the relatively dogshit teams they faced 90% of the time in the PAC and his sharing so many duties with Lake for much of his tenure. 

edit: I agree with what someone said earlier. Unless you can find an actually elite guy, which is very unlikely, you just make sure to hire a Co-DC who is a proven entity / defensive playcaller just in case this fucking mess continues into year 2. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

5 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Odom supposedly didn't come onboard because he wanted Sam Carter (Arkansas CB coach) on staff and Sark had already hired Joseph and Gideon...if you make a change I think you show the door to one of those two and re-engage Odom

Odom is likely looking to get back to being a HC as soon as possible. I have a hard time explaining why he would go from Arkansas to Texas.

Odom supposedly didn't come onboard because he wanted Sam Carter (Arkansas CB coach) on staff and Sark had already hired Joseph and Gideon...if you make a change I think you show the door to one of those two and re-engage Odom

Yeah, so stupid to hire a bunch of guys before you get your DC.

Let choate run the defense for the rest of the year and then go to a 4-3 for the future.

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Yeah, so stupid to hire a bunch of guys before you get your DC.

Let choate run the defense for the rest of the year and then go to a 4-3 for the future.

This. While I blame PK for being pigheaded and trying to force shit, it still rolls down to stark. What kind of dipshit hires defensive assistant coaches before the dc is hired.  It was a red flag that many of glossed over at the time. How naive of us 

One Yard.  

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I’d lose Gideon before Joseph. But then move Joseph to S and hire an actual CB coach. Joseph has a good track record with safeties, never made sense to me that we hired two safety coaches. 

Have our CB’s been that bad this year? I know we aren’t playing many pass-heavy teams, but other than the Tech game that position has seemed like a relative strength of our shitty defense. 

One of the basic problems with PK’s defense is that it depends on the LB’s to be the playmakers and we only have one on the whole team who can play worth a crap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Have our CB’s been that bad this year? I know we aren’t playing many pass-heavy teams, but other than the Tech game that position has seemed like a relative strength of our shitty defense. 

One of the basic problems with PK’s defense is that it depends on the LB’s to be the playmakers and we only have one on the whole team who can play worth a crap. 

Exactly.  Maybe…just maybe some of these 4 and 5 star players just weren’t that good?  We all get excited when a kid commits and then we forget about them until they play 2-3 years later some have hit their ceiling in HS.  Baylor was a joke last year and this year they are 7-1.  Rhule lost to UTSA his first year.  I think we all agree he was a good coach.  PK has run some of the best defenses in the nation over the 5 years.  I don’t know what some of y’all were thinking but you have to give them time to implement their system and get the players that fit that system.  If this was a “walk in and be in the playoffs year 1” scenario, there would have been tons of coaches wanting this job.

• Hook 'Em 1

Exactly.  Maybe…just maybe some of these 4 and 5 star players just weren’t that good?  We all get excited when a kid commits and then we forget about them until they play 2-3 years later some have hit their ceiling in HS.  Baylor was a joke last year and this year they are 7-1.  Rhule lost to UTSA his first year.  I think we all agree he was a good coach.  PK has run some of the best defenses in the nation over the 5 years.  I don’t know what some of y’all were thinking but you have to give them time to implement their system and get the players that fit that system.  If this was a “walk in and be in the playoffs year 1” scenario, there would have been tons of coaches wanting this job.

We wanna win and we want it now!

Sark looks shitty, but the roster is contributing to it. We really need some consistency at some point, rebuild a good level of talent at all levels.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Also, how the hell has Baylor managed to apparently hire 2 good coaches while we are apparently screwing up for the 3rd time.

Dammit, I am an extremely positive person....but this shit sucks right now....and I don't see Sark fixing it, nor based off how we have been for the most part embarrassed on the recruiting trail so far, do I see us getting the talent that is needed.

Truly if you were Arch or Stewart...would you take this shitshow that the last 12 years has been over someplace you could win and get to the NFL?

Have they?  Herms record is better than Ruhle's.  Aranda was 2-7 his first year.  But they get mulligans.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Have they?  Herms record is better than Ruhle's.  Aranda was 2-7 his first year.  But they get mulligans.

last year baylor was 2-7 but they played their asses off.  They gave games to almost everyone, including ou.

I'm not sure what the fix is for Texas, I'm not sure if keeping everyone or making a few changes will do anything.  Just know that they desperately need to do better along the OL through recruiting and the portal.  And I'm not sure we have a QB currently that gives us hope that we can be better next year either.

Defensively.. not sure where to start.. Seems every position outside the interior DL is a mess.  I like Dunn at CB, but he's the only guy in the secondary i like right now.  

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

How many current UT players could even compete for a spot on the Offense/Defense two-deep at Bama?

Probably less than 5 UT players would even have a shot at one of those 44 spots at Bama  and one is a true freshman WR and one is a true Soph RB.

This current Texas roster SUCKS !!!  

Edited by LTtxfan
damn autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

How many current iT players could even compete for a spot on the Offense/Defense two-deep at Bama?

Probably less than 5 UT players would even have a shot at one of those 44 spots at Bama  and one is a true freshman WR and one is a true Soph RB.

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How many current iT players could even compete for a spot on the Offense/Defense two-deep at Bama?

In retrospect I think this team has over achieved at times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How many current UT players could even compete for a spot on the Offense/Defense two-deep at Bama?

Good thing we aren’t playing bama. We are just trying to beat the likes of okie state, Baylor, and ISU.  You know. Murders row.  Aka the hoarders of 4 and 5 stars.  The powerhouses west of the Mississippi! 

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

There are just so many unknowns around PK considering the relatively dogshit teams they faced 90% of the time in the PAC and his sharing so many duties with Lake for much of his tenure.

Stop this. 

We have advanced and adjusted stats. He was very good for ten years using stats that are adjusted/normalized. Period.

These kind of takes are both lazy and uninformed.

There are a bunch of other reasons to shit on him, but his track record isn't one.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Good thing we aren’t playing bama. We are just trying to beat the likes of okie state, Baylor, and ISU.  You know. Murders row.  Aka the hoarders of 4 and 5 stars.  The powerhouses west of the Mississippi! 

I know you're being sarcastic, but consider this. Those teams have never lost 5-star players like we have. Advantage, them, I think

Edited by TotallyLegit

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting. Now how many Baylor players do you think could compete for a spot? You know, the team we actually lost to today.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting