Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 hours ago, BurntUp said:

The huge difference is they use their revenue to buy players so they won't suck.  

The schools are using their revenue on upgrades not players.  We Need more red McCombs type fanatics if we want to win again.  A really good coach might help.  

who here would be willing to put up >500k every year for players if you weren’t confident the coach would win with those guys?  We hope NIL opens the doors for talent acquisition by committee, though Phil Knight is showing just how important the billionaire fanatic is for a program.  

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Del Conte is probably the worst kind of AD for us to actually get football kicked into gear.

edit: spoilering this Steve Patterson + Charlie Strong Texas Monthly cover because it keeps pissing me off to see it.

Spoiler

0914_Longhorns_470x608.jpg

Edited by NoName
  • Rage+1 3

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Also, there are rumblings of Fat Patty getting a Mack Brown-esque push out at year end and LSU going for a grand slam move. I’m dubious on the Patterson stuff, but it was said with certitude. The LSU thing would potentially lead to suicide here so we can leave it be and hope they wind up with Aranda or Fisher. 

at first I was like:

nicolas cage devil GIF

then i was like:

GIF by FirstAndMonday

Spoiler

Urban coming into LSU, getting their shit together and leaving them like he did tOSU is worst case scenario

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Only grand slam I can think of is Meyer? If it’s Lincoln that’s ok

i can't imagine there is a dollar amount that OU wouldn't pay to keep him vs having him go to LSU with the SEC move on the horizon. plus he is at a stable job that wants to keep him and doesn't have the skeletons in the closet that LSU does.

8 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

For recruiting, Joe Brady would be the worst hire for us. I’m rooting for anyone other than that. 

i feel the exact opposite, Joe Brady is the best possible hire for us in that job.

the guy has never been a head coach. everyone points to guys like Dabo as the best case scenario when it comes to hiring guys who weren't coordinators, but Dabo had 12 years as a position coach and was a damn good recruiter. Brady has exactly 2 years as an offensive assistant with the Saints, 1 year as as passing game coordinator/WR coach at LSU and 2 years as OC at the Panthers. has never run his own ship. the odds of him getting that right at LSU of all places is basically nil.

LSU made it clear that he was NOT the play caller in 2019, his 2020 and 2021 Panthers have been anything but super impressive.

plus it isn't like he is a super charismatic guy to top it off.

from this article:

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2020/01/16/lsu-football-joe-brady-never-going-stay-lsu-nfl/

Spoiler

LSU football was never going to hold on to Joe Brady for long.

This was evident the moment Brady came to Baton Rouge before the 2019 season.

We just didn’t realize it.

Brady is not a college coach. He doesn’t want to be a college coach. And it’s almost a certainty he’ll never return to the college game — not even to become a head coach.

Taking a gig on Ed Orgeron’s staff was necessary for Brady to advance his coaching  career. When you’re an offensive analyst on a NFL team, you can’t say no when LSU, one of the most prestigious programs in the nation, comes calling.

Even if meant Brady had to do the one thing he doesn’t necessarily love.

Recruit.

It’s no secret that Brady wasn’t enamored with the recruiting grind that’s a major part of college football. He did his job, and he did it well, but recruiting teenagers wasn’t something Brady wanted to do longterm.

The realities of recruiting hit Brady hard not long after he joined Coach O’s staff. He told The Athletic last year “I’m learning it (recruiting) never stops….I’m just looking forward to having a few days in a row in the same place”.

On Tuesday, The Athletic quoted a LSU staffer as saying that Brady “just didn’t enjoy the communication aspect and all the teenager shenanigans”. They also noted, however, that he didn’t slack on the recruiting aspect of the job. He did it, even though it wasn’t his favorite thing in the world.

from the athletic article they mention:

It’s not as if Brady despised recruiting. He just didn’t enjoy the active nature of it. As one LSU staffer explained to The Athletic on Tuesday, “He was always ranking the board and watching the film. Just didn’t enjoy the communication aspect and all the teenager shenanigans.”

Edited by NoName

52 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

When did LSU make it clear Brady wasn’t calling plays? When Kyrie was on here rationalizing his departure?

LOTS of LSU fans were saying it was going to be ok after Brady left since Ensminger was calling the plays and generally "in charge" of the Offense anyway...so they would lose some of the wrinkles that Brady brought and some of his expertise, but it would be ok.

...then they went from the #1 OFEI team in 2019 to #94 in 2020 - Ensminger "retired" and became a part time analyst.

an article from before the season (May 2019): https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_95b5c2b2-7133-11e9-ad4a-afd3899db011.html

"You know, Steve's getting older now," Orgeron said. "Joe's 28. They lean on each other. Joe is tremendous in the meeting room. When Steve has a question, Joe always seems to have an answer. They're up in the press box. Steve is calling the plays, but you know what? Joe has the next play ready for him. If he needs Joe, Joe is going to give it to him."

So, Ensminger will remain the play-caller for the Tigers, and Brady, a coach who hasn't yet had full-blown responsibility of an offense at a high level of football, has a unique position where he can learn to eventually be a coordinator.

"No question," Orgeron said. "(Brady) does a lot of the stuff a coordinator does today. He's in the office, implements stuff. The guy is very good. Obviously, Steve's going to control the whole offense."

this is from Football Scoop's Offensive Coordinator of the Year article after the season was over: https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/-first-pair-of-coaches-to-share-the-award

"I think game-to-game it’s different. I think a lot of it has to do with the game plan standpoint. Steve’s the offensive coordinator. Steve’s the play-caller," Brady said. "It’s just my job up there to, if I have any ideas, for him to take them and run with it if he wants. If not, keep doing what he’s doing and we’ve had a lot of success this year with Steve being a great play-caller. There’ll be times in games where he’ll say, ‘Hey look, you’ve got it.’ Or, ‘Hey, whatever you want to do here, you’ve got it.’ I think every coach is always ready, if their time comes, that they need to call a play. So, I just sit up there, and if there’s an opportunity that I have to give some advice or what I’m seeing or my thoughts — especially from the passing game standpoint — I’ll give it. Outside of that, it’s Steve’s show, and I’m just rolling with it."

Edited by NoName

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

LOTS of LSU fans were saying it was going to be ok after Brady left since Ensminger was calling the plays and generally "in charge" of the Offense anyway...so they would lose some of the wrinkles that Brady brought and some of his expertise, but it would be ok.

...then they went from the #1 OFEI team in 2019 to #94 in 2020 - Ensminger "retired" and became a part time analyst.

an article from before the season (May 2019): https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_95b5c2b2-7133-11e9-ad4a-afd3899db011.html

this is from Football Scoop's Offensive Coordinator of the Year article after the season was over: https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/-first-pair-of-coaches-to-share-the-award

Those fans were stupid as fuck. We saw what LSU offense was the year prior without Brady and then obviously the year after.

We literally saw video of him calling the plays during the title game. There were dozens of booth shots sucking off the offense, and Brady was talking through the headsets constantly while Ensminger was silent and picking his nose. 

anyone who thinks Brady wasn’t calling the shots is still insisting that Wickline designed and executed the offense, not Shawn watson. 

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It was a lie. Their offense looked completely different with Brady there. He definitely designed the offense and called the plays. 

No shit. lol. Everyone knew that except Kyrie, who proclaims LSU dominance before every season and managed to convince himself he was a football genius after 2019 instead of just a broken clock. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We literally saw video of him calling the plays during the title game. There were dozens of booth shots sucking off the offense, and Brady was talking through the headsets constantly while Ensminger was silent and picking his nose. 

anyone who thinks Brady wasn’t calling the shots is still insisting that Wickline designed and executed the offense, not Shawn watson. 

i'm just saying they said from day 1 until the day Brady left that they were going to be ok because "Slinger" was really calling the plays and Brady was giving input. 

it was a strange thing to say all year long, then they clearly tripped and fell on their faces the next year, "Slinger" retired and they went back to Joe Brady to ask who to hire, hired his RB coach (Jake Peetz, who had been coaching since 07 and spent like 2 total years in college and like 11 in the NFL as an offensive assistant or coach)

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

The recruiting thread has gone from discussing Texas coaches to discussing national coaching changes to arguing about a former assistant at LSU.

I know. I know. 1000 pages!

Swell.

It’s all Texas recruiting related tangentially, there’s no Texas recruiting news right now, and it’s not the football board. Stop dribbling the sand out of your vagina, you’re getting it all over the floor of this place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No shit. lol. Everyone knew that except Kyrie, who proclaims LSU dominance before every season and managed to convince himself he was a football genius after 2019 instead of just a broken clock. 

You don't understand - they have the playbook.  Doesn't even matter who calls plays because they have Joe Brady's playbook.  

The.

Playbook.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s all Texas recruiting related tangentially, there’s no Texas recruiting news right now, and it’s not the football board. Stop dribbling the sand out of your vagina, you’re getting it all over the floor of this place. 

Hopefully it will dry up the alluring mix of tears and spittle that's flooded this thread recently, but....

Im Not Taking That Bet GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll do what I like with my vagina. Stop obsessing over it.

I'd say your reaction to my statement of boredome has darker shades of irritated genitalia than anything I wrote. 

Also, if there's nothing recruiting related to talk about maybe peruse a few other threads.

I don't want to imagine what you see as you envision my vagina erupting sand all over your anxiously awaiting face.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Humidor

Spoiler

TEAM

Credit to the team, there certainly doesn’t seem to be any hangover after back-to-back disappointing losses followed by a bye week. After monitoring things behind the scenes as best we can this week, the program seems to be champing at the bit to return to the field.

Though practices were a little shorter — designed to keep the players more fresh as they get deeper into the season — they were spirited with plenty of good on good action. Thursday featured two minute drill work where the defense got the better of the offense.

Thursday was a heavy special teams day. On source mentioned, ”since Jeff Banks arrived, players really started buying into the third phase being just as important as offense and defense.” They’ve made too many mental miscues, but they’ve made a lot of plays as well. Tidy up the mistakes and special teams will be a big plus going forward. Baylor return man Trestan Ebner will test the coverage teams’ cohesiveness this week.

Having faced numerous quarterbacks who pose a threat with their legs and that the defense want to keep in the pocket, the defense feels prepared for Gerry Bohanon. Also, having played Oklahoma State recently has them feeling confident in their understanding of playing outside zone. They know they have to finish better than they have in recent weeks but they’ve also played zone well for long stretches.

We don’t expect Jaylan Ford to start, but he should play extensively. He could spell both Overshown or Brockermeyer.

Another slight defensive personnel note, Chris Adimora and Jerrin Thompson flip-flopped. Now Thompson is behind BJ Foster and Adimora is behind Schooler. It’ll be interesting if we see much Thompson.

Despite Gerry Bohanon only throwing one interception this year, there’s the belief Baylor is more susceptible to turnovers.

We’re expecting the same offensive line that started the Oklahoma State game: Jones-Angilau-Majors-Imade-Kerstetter.

They may use more of a personnel package and player many fans have been clamoring for.

Baylor coming off of a bye assures the Texas coaches Dave Aranda’s staff will have some tricks up their sleeves on both sides of the ball, so be ready for anything.

The coaches stressed the importance of finishing the game how they start. “Baylor will have confidence they can win this game if they just play hard for four quarters.”

We expect sophomore cornerback Kitan Crawford to miss this game but the team is otherwise pretty healthy beyond the known injuries.

RECRUITING

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: It’s status quo with the elite interior offensive lineman from the Metroplex. Texas, OU, and Alabama appear to be the strongest candidates with LSU still hanging around. Texas having the last official visit (will be in December) could be critical considering Oklahoma has made strides in this pursuit.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX) - 2022: With a 200-yard rushing performance the five-star put on a show last night in front of an impressive audience. Texas coaches Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks were on hand, along with Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher and staffers from LSU. Michigan State offered this week, further speculating Mel Tucker’s candidacy for the LSU opening.

CB Denver Harris, Houston (Texas) North Shore - 2022: On3 took in an afternoon practice at North Shore earlier this week. The best news for Texas fans coming out of the visit was Alabama was no longer the pick of people in the North Shore program. It was split between LSU and Texas. A common thought was Harris may prefer LSU due to Corey Raymond being his favorite position coach by far. The other thought was Texas could win out due to Texas doing very well with the mom in the recruitment. This will likely come down to the wire with questions still remaining, chiefly, who will be LSU’s new head coach?

DL Kristopher Ross, Houston (Texas) North Shore - 2022: The On300 uber athletic defensive tackle prospect remains solid with the Longhorns despite Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Auburn continuing to try and make pushes at various times. Ross’ relationship with Bo Davis, and seeing the ability to push for early playing time due to the need for a disruptor will keep the Longhorns in a very good spot leading up to the December early signing period.

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023: He’ll play in front of Alabama and LSU coaches tonight before heading to Clemson for an unofficial visit this weekend. Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee are maintaining their grip on the On3 No. 1 overall prospect. Newman coaches say Manning continues to enjoy the process and they intend to keep him out of the spotlight as much as possible.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022: The On3 No. 4 ranked prospect in the class is working to be a December graduate from Liberty High. That would mean giving up track in the spring, thus showing a commitment to being ready to make an impact as a freshman on the field. According to a locked in source in the DFW area, the 6-foot-0, 175-pound ultra explosive receiver is likely to decide between Texas and Texas A&M. There is a chance Stewart will be at Texas A&M again November 6 for the Auburn game. He was originally scheduled to be at Alabama on an official visit. Something to watch, but we’ve had sources who felt confident he would stay in-state and that continues to be the case.

With Texas, Stewart knows it’s a terrific offense for a wide receiver to play in. The concern on the Longhorns side is how far the program is from being a contender.

For those that don’t believe Stewart would go to Texas A&M because the wide receivers don’t put up numbers or get as many targets as many others, that won’t be a deal-breaker. Those close to Stewart see him as the missing piece for the Aggie offense and better than anyone Texas A&M has in the program at the position.

Texas working on flips

There are two 2022 prospects committed to other schools that have filled out applications to Texas. Does that mean the two prospects will flip their commitments to Texas? No, it does not. But both continue to consider the Longhorns and their options leading up to the December early signing period. Both have been very receptive to the Texas staff, and could show up in Austin in November.

The Texas staff is working hard to get two or three prospects currently committed to other schools on campus November 13 for the Kansas game. That doesn‘t include On300 quarterback and USC verbal Devin Brown (Queen Creek, AZ/Corner Canyon, UT) who is publicly scheduled to make an official visit that weekend.

The Longhorns are looking to sign a second signal caller in the 2022 class, or bring in a starter quality player out of the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Humidor

Hide contents

For those that don’t believe Stewart would go to Texas A&M because the wide receivers don’t put up numbers or get as many targets as many others, that won’t be a deal-breaker. Those close to Stewart see him as the missing piece for the Aggie offense and better than anyone Texas A&M has in the program at the position.

IF this is true, we're just being straight up out-recruited. There's no way he should be believing this bs.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

There are two 2022 prospects committed to other schools that have filled out applications to Texas. Does that mean the two prospects will flip their commitments to Texas? No, it does not. But both continue to consider the Longhorns and their options leading up to the December early signing period. Both have been very receptive to the Texas staff, and could show up in Austin in November

Would really be interested in reading the essays they submitted through the Apply Texas college application. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'll do what I like with my vagina. Stop obsessing over it.

I'd say your reaction to my statement of boredome has darker shades of irritated genitalia than anything I wrote. 

Also, if there's nothing recruiting related to talk about maybe peruse a few other threads.

I don't want to imagine what you see as you envision my vagina erupting sand all over your anxiously awaiting face.

v1Dn5x.gif

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Interesting that UF no longer appears to be in the running for Stewart if that report is to be believed. No clue on who the flip prospects are but I hope at least one of them is a tackle committed to Oregon. 

They mentioned the two prospects are filling out applications to Texas now to see if they would get in. I assume this means they are more off the radar guys who we didn't finish top 2 or 3 for. 

25 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

If out recruited means out bag dropping, then yes. 

I meant if he really does believe that, independent of bags, then our staff is also doing a shitty job selling compared to A&M. But yeah, there's a reason he never had interest in A&M and other than bags I don't see what could've changed (I guess that damn Bama win, but you'd think Ark/MSU would negate that).

Agree with others that UF suddenly dropping out completely is very weird. How do you go from favorite to out of contention that fast? Rollercoaster for sure but not the most encouraging update from IT.

32 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Interesting that UF no longer appears to be in the running for Stewart if that report is to be believed. No clue on who the flip prospects are but I hope at least one of them is a tackle committed to Oregon. 

I guess their hype house just wasn't enough :(

Flip prospects IT mentioned are likely 2 of these 3: Banks, Brooks, or Anderson.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I meant if he really does believe that, independent of bags, then our staff is also doing a shitty job selling compared to A&M. But yeah, there's a reason he never had interest in A&M and other than bags I don't see what could've changed (I guess that damn Bama win, but you'd think Ark/MSU would negate that).

Agree with others that UF suddenly dropping out completely is very weird. How do you go from favorite to out of contention that fast? Rollercoaster for sure but not the most encouraging update from IT.

Perhaps know that Dan Mullen is going to be fired at the end of the season contributes?

Lolol at Stewart at aggy.  He can enjoy his mediocre stats there.  They have plenty of talented WRs.  Preston, Demas, Smith, Wright, etc.  none of them produce and it’s because that offense features the TEs and RBs.  His dad didn’t want him to commit to Texas in the first place and they have made it clear they are looking for money.  Our freshman WR is blowing away any aggy WR when it comes to stats.  Sark literally won Devonta Smith the Heisman.  This kid had no interest in aggy and now all of the sudden they lead over Bama, UF, Texas, ou and other schools that actually have WR production.  Aggy gave him the offer he wanted and it’s easy to see.  Outside of Texas, if he were to pick a school, I’d rather him go there.  Enjoy blocking Evan.  We’ll be fine with Thompson and Worthy scoring.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Catching up.. Dabo to LSU would be wild. Also if they're willing to throw an offer at him, that almost certainly means they have the money to throw one at Jimbo as a backup plan..

Dabo to LSU would screw up Bama's post-Saban succession plan.

Dabo is already a Top 5 paid coach (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach) and I don't see the allure of going to LSU to start a rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!  TEXAS IS BACK!

LSU needs to bungle this coaching search until after signing day.   Maybe we can get a reverse Quentin Johnston situation where Raymond is in limbo so Harris just says fuck it and comes here.

That update definitely seemed like foreshadowing aggy for Stewart.  Which is a ludicrous decision, but also one that kind of looks more fitting as his recruitment unfolds.

Any thoughts on who the committed prospects are?  Brooks?

One of the ramifications of moving NSD to Dec 15th, is that largely the coaching carousel isn't really in full motion yet. In the case of Texas last year, we could wait to fire Herman after the players had already signed.

In the case of LSU this year, it's possible the coach they want won't be available until after bowl season, and so there won't be any chance to have a coach announced before NSD1.

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Dabo to LSU would screw up Bama's post-Saban succession plan.

Dabo is already a Top 5 paid coach (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach) and I don't see the allure of going to LSU to start a rebuild.

Texas is a pretty solid rebuild, LSU is not. LSU won a title with Les Miles and Coach O, I'm sure they'll do just fine with a guy like Dabo.

Their recruiting would take off even more under him.

32 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

If he believes that shit he's not smart enough to become an elite WR and deserves what will happen to him when he's drafted in the 6th round

23 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Lolol at Stewart at aggy.  He can enjoy his mediocre stats there.  They have plenty of talented WRs.  Preston, Demas, Smith, Wright, etc.  none of them produce and it’s because that offense features the TEs and RBs.  His dad didn’t want him to commit to Texas in the first place and they have made it clear they are looking for money.  Our freshman WR is blowing away any aggy WR when it comes to stats.  Sark literally won Devonta Smith the Heisman.  This kid had no interest in aggy and now all of the sudden they lead over Bama, UF, Texas, ou and other schools that actually have WR production.  Aggy gave him the offer he wanted and it’s easy to see.  Outside of Texas, if he were to pick a school, I’d rather him go there.  Enjoy blocking Evan.  We’ll be fine with Thompson and Worthy scoring.

Be careful. Several posters will start claiming you’re a big pussy for conceding Stewart to the aggies.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting