Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

While I agree, we are years away from the bag game going away. Cash is king, and cash now is even better. Unless you can guarantee an NIL deal, it isnt going to help much when Alabama says fuck all that here's 80k and a dodge charger lease. 

Oh it’s certainly years away but not as far into the future as it may seem. Just look at Oregon currently, Phil Knight is going to be able to keep that crypto wallet to himself instead of croots

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Some folks are going to sit here and whine about the bag game as some catch all. When folks bitch about alumni support, it's not just the bag game. It's the fact, that in general, the alumni don't fucking get ANYTHING. They're not lining up to build the death star for legal shit like the NIL either. It's legal. But they're clueless and slow to act and want to know how they benefit. And sadly, winning championships doesn't appear to be the top of their benefit list. So yeah, it's not the bags, it's just general booster malaise, and not wanting to demand excellence for whatever reasons exist. These are folks who still didn't think our facilities needed updating. 

And for those who dont think the bag game will diminish with the NIL, consider that a trainer or uncle fucking around and trying to leverage more payments and bags will actually become a THREAT to players signing and earning money in college through the NIL. There's a current Texas commit which is 100% proof of that right now. 

This is so depressingly accurate. Stuff is in the works but its moving at a snails pace. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I see a large percentage of the "free money" transitioning out of the bag game toward NIL simply for the sake of legitimacy. But who's gonna turn down a giant bag of cash that you don't have to do a fucking thing to get? No tweeting. No contracts. No taxes. That shit'll be around forever.

Except for that whole part where the person funding the bag game could possibly get caught by the feds and uhh... probably not go to jail since we don't prosecute rich white guys. Nevermind.

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I see a large percentage of the "free money" transitioning out of the bag game toward NIL simply for the sake of legitimacy. But who's gonna turn down a giant bag of cash that you don't have to do a fucking thing to get? No tweeting. No contracts. No taxes. That shit'll be around forever.

Several programs have decades of bag game infrastructure set up that work quite well. They arent looking to transition away, the market will have to force them. Texas could definitely use its intellectual horsepower to force change, but as @SydneyCarton pointed out, no one currently gives a fuck or even believes its a thing we should be doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Bag games WILL be irrelevant with the NIL. Too many ways to do it legally now. Why give a kids uncle $80k in poker chips at Harrahs when you could instead just give him $80k to tweet about your shitty car dealership. Anyone that says the NIL isn’t the great equalizer doesn’t understand the NIL and what it can accomplish. And with some help, a little luck and the right people buying in, Texas won’t be left behind. I can personally assure you of that

I don’t believe this to be true and it’s naive at best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Compliance isn’t that hard to deal with. That whole thing is majorly overblown IMO. The no burnt orange thing is very stupid but otherwise it’s not even a hurdle IMO. You just have to know what the fuck you’re doing 

The issue isn’t completely NIL related. She goes above and beyond because brand > results. The main issue with Plonsky is she has too many lackeys within the AD and influence even though she was demoted. She should have been outright fired given the results women athletics had under her watch. 

It will be hard to say no to the cash bag in hand, no strings attached vs sign with us, wait a year to enroll and then over the course of 4 years assuming everything goes well and you don’t transfer or are shown a trap door, x amount of dollars will be yours!  

oversimplified, yes but this doesn’t take into account schools that have a good NIL game and supplement a bag game to go with it. NIL simply increases the $ pie for the players and allow “clean programs” to compete without getting aggy level dirty. No bag game will still be a disadvantage going forward. It doesn’t become irrelevant 

Edited by mantis toboggan

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Some folks are going to sit here and whine about the bag game as some catch all. When folks bitch about alumni support, it's not just the bag game. It's the fact, that in general, the alumni don't fucking get ANYTHING. They're not lining up to build the death star for legal shit like the NIL either. It's legal. But they're clueless and slow to act and want to know how they benefit. And sadly, winning championships doesn't appear to be the top of their benefit list. So yeah, it's not the bags, it's just general booster malaise, and not wanting to demand excellence for whatever reasons exist. These are folks who still didn't think our facilities needed updating. 

And for those who dont think the bag game will diminish with the NIL, consider that a trainer or uncle fucking around and trying to leverage more payments and bags will actually become a THREAT to players signing and earning money in college through the NIL. There's a current Texas commit which is 100% proof of that right now. 

We’re so fucked with the SEC move if this doesn’t change

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

For sure, black markets will always exist in almost any industry of entertainment or vice. There are still bootlegging operations in the US, for Christ's sake. Still, it's ultimately not going to be worth it for most interested parties when there is a white hat alternative.

15 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Except for that whole part where the person funding the bag game could possibly get caught by the feds and uhh... probably not go to jail since we don't prosecute rich white guys. Nevermind.

This has been my primary reason for stating that the bag game largely goes away down the line. The risk of getting punished is too great versus the reward for most coaches, specifically when there is a clean and legal way to do shit.

It's been enlightening to discover that, more than anything as some of us here and with others offline have tried to forge ahead on the NIL landscape, the fucking staff will not even feign coloring outside of the lines, even when there is factual evidence of legality and the nonexistence of enforcement otherwise. Some of it has been absurd. So, yeah, coaching staffs would absolutely prefer to see the whole side of paying players go completely away from being leveraged under the table by a player's corrupt "uncle". 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

We’re so fucked with the SEC move if this doesn’t change

The SEC move is still a net positive, and since I disagree 100% with your take on the value and importance of the NIL, I don't share your sky-is-falling viewpoint about the SEC move at all. The Big 12 was killing us because of mediocre games, mediocre competition, and eventually mediocre recruiting. We've sucked dick for over a decade, but hey, guess what, it was marginalizing OU as well and they were winning every year. 

The SEC move will hurt aTm and help us quite a bit, even if we don't have a traditional bag game going at all. The boosters will figure out the importance of the NIL once they see other schools pistol whipping us in the SEC after the "The Problem Was the Big 12" excuse has been ripped from their eyes. The SEC is going to move away from the fucking bag game too, some of you clowns just can't see it or won't believe it because I guess you prefer bemoaning this specific facet of our athletic department and booster fuckery. As usual, when Texas's pride gets hurt a little but by being shown up in the new conference, they'll decide to figure some shit out. It'll just be late to the party, like our facilities. 

And if nothing else, a lot of these old motherfuckers are going to die soon and maybe transfer their wealth to some younger heirs who might give a fuck. Or they might not, who knows. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For sure, black markets will always exist in almost any industry of entertainment or vice. There are still bootlegging operations in the US, for Christ's sake. Still, it's ultimately not going to be worth it for most interested parties when there is a white hat alternative.

This has been my primary reason for stating that the bag game largely goes away down the line. The risk of getting punished is too great versus the reward for most coaches, specifically when there is a clean and legal way to do shit.

It's been enlightening to discover that, more than anything as some of us here and with others offline have tried to forge ahead on the NIL landscape, the fucking staff will not even feign coloring outside of the lines, even when there is factual evidence of legality and the nonexistence of enforcement otherwise. Some of it has been absurd. So, yeah, coaching staffs would absolutely prefer to see the whole side of paying players go completely away from being leveraged under the table by a player's corrupt "uncle". 

Your last point is exactly why I don't think the bag game ever goes away completely. The handlers and shit heel trainers like FWK have no good way to profit off of a kid's NIL money. "Hey Evan, let me be your agent and take 10% of your NIL money that you make once you are in school." "Why would I do that Uncle Rico? The school sets all that up for me."

57 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

No they aren’t even close to the same thing. One is an NCAA violation that could be ruinous for the kid and the school and the other is above board and actively encouraged and promoted

Is it though? I didn't think you could legally promise an uncle $80k for a tweet, just to get a kid to sign. Might be easier to not get caught, sure, but still not technically allowed.

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The SEC move is still a net positive, and since I disagree 100% with your take on the value and importance of the NIL, I don't share your sky-is-falling viewpoint about the SEC move at all. The Big 12 was killing us because of mediocre games, mediocre competition, and eventually mediocre recruiting. We've sucked dick for over a decade, but hey, guess what, it was marginalizing OU as well and they were winning every year. 

The SEC move will hurt aTm and help us quite a bit, even if we don't have a traditional bag game going at all. The boosters will figure out the importance of the NIL once they see other schools pistol whipping us in the SEC after the "The Problem Was the Big 12" excuse has been ripped from their eyes. The SEC is going to move away from the fucking bag game too, some of you clowns just can't see it or won't believe it because I guess you prefer bemoaning this specific facet of our athletic department and booster fuckery. As usual, when Texas's pride gets hurt a little but by being shown up in the new conference, they'll decide to figure some shit out. It'll just be late to the party, like our facilities. 

And if nothing else, a lot of these old motherfuckers are going to die soon and maybe transfer their wealth to some younger heirs who might give a fuck. Or they might not, who knows. 

So we can expect it by 2030-2040?

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Uh, you have no idea how this and taxes work. 

My point was just that from a recruiting perspective, in both situations you're basically just offering an upfront signing bonus. Different mechanisms but neither is technically allowed by the NCAA. So from a compliance/infrastructure perspective, not that different. 

But yes, there'd be taxes on NIL and not a McD's bag. Which obviously works against the NIL option.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t believe this to be true and it’s naive at best. 

Well you are completely wrong. Sure, there will always be some form of the bag game but having it being the prevailing form of paying players when there is a legal means to do so is just reckless, unnecessary and stupid. Why go to your old weed guy when there is a legal dispensary down the street

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Well you are completely wrong. Sure, there will always be some form of the bag game but having it being the prevailing form of paying players when there is a legal means to do so is just reckless, unnecessary and stupid. Why go to your old weed guy when there is a legal dispensary down the street

I think NIL will become the prevalent method, but bags will always be around. 

For one, there will always be influential handlers/uncles who want bags.
And two, HS players in Texas can’t sign NIL deals, so the only way to get them money immediately is still bags. Until that law changes, bags will be a necessary part of the recruiting landscape. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And two, HS players in Texas can’t sign NIL deals, so the only way to get them money immediately is still bags. Until that law changes, bags will be a necessary part of the recruiting landscape. 

Yump

There is a difference between the premise that the bag game disappears, which I don't think anyone is claiming, versus the bag game becoming largely irrelevant and not that far down the line. We'll see, but the reality is that the incentives to cheat from the "uncle" perspective don't matter if the vast majority of the programs reroute their incentive game to being above board because the juice is otherwise not worth the squeeze. There are many instances in history in which gatekeepers and clearinghouses in illicit markets eventually become artifacts of a bygone era when the market becomes a legitimate part of an economy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Compliance isn’t that hard to deal with. That whole thing is majorly overblown IMO. The no burnt orange thing is very stupid but otherwise it’s not even a hurdle IMO. You just have to know what the fuck you’re doing 

I don't really mean compliance in general, I mean a "can't do" attitude. We should have an athletic department full of people doing everything possible to make things happen and figure out the best legal ways to do so. We should be innovating in every way. We have so much money at our disposal, yet we can never figure out how to transfer that into being the best on the field. I am honestly not even sure that's the goal for our AD.

My feeling is that there are far too many people in Bellmont who are happy to cash checks and log years toward their retirement. Success is irrelevant as long as the money continues rolling in. Lots of times, the wet blankets are people who have gotten far too comfortable in their positions. They aren't looking to move up the career ladder, aren't hungry for success, and have no issue with the status quo. Plonsky has been in our AD for decades. What is she bringing to the table?

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't know the first part of that statement is true, uncles sure but I think the FWKs of the world having their handout could become a thing of the past. We have already seen it happen in this recruiting cycle. The second part is true for now (I think that law changes) but y'all are all misinterpreting my statement. The bag game will always be here, but the NIL will become the means of distribution of the bag game, hell we already saw with the Oregon NFTs. Its too easy to say, sign here, tweet this once and you get 100k NFT once youre enrolled. No need to drop a mcdonalds bag of cash to a kids uncle anymore   

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The game was a social event for socialites and their families to rub shoulders with one another while some young people tossed a ball around downstairs on the lawn. In other words, these people aren't fans. They're patrons. They expect attention and access, but they do not give one fuck about results. 

I fear this is the most horrifyingly accurate statement I've seen written in my decade+ on this board. 

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've got a different point of view on the entrenchment of fucked up "We're Texas" logic and when things will change than I guess @SydneyCarton and @Barbacoa and others on here. 

I've seen a weird confluence of relatively unrelated issues mash-up against each other regarding UT over the last 6 months. Like first hand. My view after being in the middle of all of it in some form is that I'm not sure the fucked-up mindsets from the administration, various UT staffs, and the higher-level boosters around the program isn't actually systemic and perhaps never going away something cataclysmic. 

We've done a ton of work on NIL related shit. I'm very proud of what genuine effort and outputs I've seen from people like us on this board and other like-minded individuals elsewhere. Largely, the work that has been done has been altruistic and aimed at helping Texas get competitive and stay there on the NIL end. No one has been trying to profit or curry favor as far as I know.

However, at every turn in which any of this momentum across multiple initiatives has gotten people a seat at the table with significant power brokers, money people, or the admin, the net result has been "good luck to you guys, we can't help you, and we really, frankly, don't want to help you or see any of this work out. But hey, let us know if in spite of all of this, you figure it all out and really become a force that we then need to reckon with or help claim credit for! Good luck with aaaaaallllll that."

In addition, the staff has zero interest in helping anything happen, but, hey, they'd also really love for something to happen! Same is true for Crystal and his crew. That guy, having witnessed shit, isn't very intelligent and doesn't want to see anything change, and also doesn't think there's a problem. Ironically, he can gladhand like a motherfucker if he needs a new practice bubble or softball facilities. I guess those are easier to directly claim credit for though, so it makes sense.

Being an outsider and now witnessing things in the SEZ, it's stunning. You go to these games and functions, and all these people want and need is access and influence so that they can show their neighbors pictures with CDC or Peter Gardere or Derrick Johnson. They do not care about winning football games. At all. I have now seen them behave up close and personal through a devastating loss at home and they all seemed to have a wonderful fucking time. I mean, it's a fucking party, with an atmosphere like that of the one held for Harvey Dent in Bruce Wayne's penthouse ahead of the Joker's arrival. The game was a social event for socialites and their families to rub shoulders with one another while some young people tossed a ball around downstairs on the lawn. In other words, these people aren't fans. They're patrons. They expect attention and access, but they do not give one fuck about results. 

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Is there any fucking good news anywhere near this program?

Fuck.

uh, the burnt orange on the new turf looks really nice and the longhorn in the SEZ is really easy to see with all the empty seats around it... what more could you possibly want? 

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You go to these games and functions, and all these people want and need is access and influence so that they can show their neighbors pictures with CDC or Peter Gardere or Derrick Johnson. They do not care about winning football games. At all.

It blows my mind that people can care about one of these things but not both. Winning football games is the only reason people give a shit about photos of Gardere and DJ. In ten years, are they gonna be bragging to their neighbors about some selfies with Garrett Gilbert and James Kirkendoll?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

My point was just that from a recruiting perspective, in both situations you're basically just offering an upfront signing bonus. Different mechanisms but neither is technically allowed by the NCAA. So from a compliance/infrastructure perspective, not that different. 

But yes, there'd be taxes on NIL and not a McD's bag. Which obviously works against the NIL option.

Ok, you're too dense to continue arguing with on this topic. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've got a different point of view on the entrenchment of fucked up "We're Texas" logic and when things will change than I guess @SydneyCarton and @Barbacoa and others on here. 

I've seen a weird confluence of relatively unrelated issues mash-up against each other regarding UT over the last 6 months. Like first hand. My view after being in the middle of all of it in some form is that I'm not sure the fucked-up mindsets from the administration, various UT staffs, and the higher-level boosters around the program isn't actually systemic and perhaps never going away something cataclysmic. 

We've done a ton of work on NIL related shit. I'm very proud of what genuine effort and outputs I've seen from people like us on this board and other like-minded individuals elsewhere. Largely, the work that has been done has been altruistic and aimed at helping Texas get competitive and stay there on the NIL end. No one has been trying to profit or curry favor as far as I know.

However, at every turn in which any of this momentum across multiple initiatives has gotten people a seat at the table with significant power brokers, money people, or the admin, the net result has been "good luck to you guys, we can't help you, and we really, frankly, don't want to help you or see any of this work out. But hey, let us know if in spite of all of this, you figure it all out and really become a force that we then need to reckon with or help claim credit for! Good luck with aaaaaallllll that."

In addition, the staff has zero interest in helping anything happen, but, hey, they'd also really love for something to happen! Same is true for Crystal and his crew. That guy, having witnessed shit, isn't very intelligent and doesn't want to see anything change, and also doesn't think there's a problem. Ironically, he can gladhand like a motherfucker if he needs a new practice bubble or softball facilities. I guess those are easier to directly claim credit for though, so it makes sense.

Being an outsider and now witnessing things in the SEZ, it's stunning. You go to these games and functions, and all these people want and need is access and influence so that they can show their neighbors pictures with CDC or Peter Gardere or Derrick Johnson. They do not care about winning football games. At all. I have now seen them behave up close and personal through a devastating loss at home and they all seemed to have a wonderful fucking time. I mean, it's a fucking party, with an atmosphere like that of the one held for Harvey Dent in Bruce Wayne's penthouse ahead of the Joker's arrival. The game was a social event for socialites and their families to rub shoulders with one another while some young people tossed a ball around downstairs on the lawn. In other words, these people aren't fans. They're patrons. They expect attention and access, but they do not give one fuck about results. 

While I agree with pretty much all of your post, I have to ask, you're telling me that you don't see the bolded section above as inherently a systemic problem and potentially cataclysmic? Or did I misread that section of your post? Because to me, along with your last few sentences of your post, represents a systemic problem to me. .

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ok, you're too dense to continue arguing with on this topic. 

While I agree with pretty much all of your post, I have to ask, you're telling me that you don't see the bolded section above as inherently a systemic problem and potentially cataclysmic? Or did I misread that section of your post? Because to me, along with your last few sentences of your post, represents a systemic problem to me. .

I edited for clarity, but here you go so you don't have to go back and click:

"I've seen a weird confluence of relatively unrelated issues mash-up against each other regarding UT over the last 6 months. Like first hand. My view after being in the middle of all of it in some form is that I'm not sure the fucked-up mindsets from the administration, various UT staffs, and the higher-level boosters around the program aren't actually systemic and perhaps never going away barring something cataclysmic. "

So you did misread it but I could have typed it out better. Either way, yeah, what I am saying is that I think we're systemically fucked. Texas basically needs the next Vince Young to walk through that door. Could be a while. The coaching shitshows haven't helped, but outside of a force of nature as HC, I'm starting to think we're fucked for a good long while irrespective of the staff.

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for legitimate good news, I guess I should have mentioned that Beard actually seems to understand how to make it all work, doesn't give a shit about how to get things done as long as they're getting done, and doesn't have to worry about being yoked to a "We're Texas" mantra since none of the blue hairs seem to give a fuck about accidentally smearing mediocrity all over the basketball program. Hope the Moody Center doesn't change that.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I edited for clarity, but here you go so you don't have to go back and click:

"I've seen a weird confluence of relatively unrelated issues mash-up against each other regarding UT over the last 6 months. Like first hand. My view after being in the middle of all of it in some form is that I'm not sure the fucked-up mindsets from the administration, various UT staffs, and the higher-level boosters around the program aren't actually systemic and perhaps never going away barring something cataclysmic. "

So you did misread it but I could have typed it out better. Either way, yeah, what I am saying is that I think we're systemically fucked. Texas basically needs the next Vince Young to walk through that door. Could be a while. The coaching shitshows haven't helped, but outside of a force of nature as HC, I'm starting to think we're fucked for a good long while irrespective of the staff.

well at least i know where to place my hope and expectations for the next decade

I agree with everything @closetojumping said above. 

The reality is our people simply don’t understand how college football works. And worse, when you tell them they don’t want to believe it. It’s like telling a kid Santa clause isn’t real, but if he still behaves he will get toys anyways. 

It’s one thing for our dipshit admins and donors to not get it, but there have been a couple of troubling instances to where I wonder if our staff knows what they’re doing or not as well. 

I have some thoughts on the matter, which can basically be summed up with the idea that our BMDs are the wrong people to be talking to. They simply have too much money to play these petty games. We need them for the big ticket items. Problem is, it’s much harder to identify “regular rich people” who would are zealots like myself and others on this board. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting