Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

20 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I agree with everything @closetojumping said above. 

The reality is our people simply don’t understand how college football works. And worse, when you tell them they don’t want to believe it. It’s like telling a kid Santa clause isn’t real, but if he still behaves he will get toys anyways. 

It’s one thing for our dipshit admins and donors to not get it, but there have been a couple of troubling instances to where I wonder if our staff knows what they’re doing or not as well. 

I have some thoughts on the matter, which can basically be summed up with the idea that our BMDs are the wrong people to be talking to. They simply have too much money to play these petty games. We need them for the big ticket items. Problem is, it’s much harder to identify “regular rich people” who would are zealots like myself and others on this board. 

Do schools ever get former players involved? Would imagine there are a lot of guys who got taken care of under Mack and now have a bunch of NFL cash. May be willing to support their old position group. I.e. hey Jamaal and Ricky and Malcolm, let me introduce you to Rueben over here, he's willing to show up to your football camps for $30k each...

Probably some reasons not to involve them though I'd imagine

Edited by Tex-19

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If anyone is looking for legitimate good news, I guess I should have mentioned that Beard actually seems to understand how to make it all work, doesn't give a shit about how to get things done as long as they're getting done, and doesn't have to worry about being yoked to a "We're Texas" mantra since none of the blue hairs seem to give a fuck about accidentally smearing mediocrity all over the basketball program. Hope the Moody Center doesn't change that.

I find it odd that the best coach we’ve hired since Garrido has a fucking plan. I also find it odd that he doesn’t accept excuses as to why he can’t have something. If you want to win, this is what it takes. Truly amazing.

• Hook 'Em 5

We should offer scholarships to each of the  BMD kids/grandkids and start them every game and make these swinging dicks watch those kids get pummeled every Saturday and see if they become more invested in making the team better.  If not we can at least enjoy watching BMD kid get his ass kicked every week.  I’ll admit it’s not a great plan but let’s at least mark it as  plan B if nothing else works out.  

Edited by stork642

On 10/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, Tex Pete said:

You can't see it?! We tolerated Rick Barnes refusing to coach free throw shooting and shitting the bed for over a decade, even with some great talent to work with, but we're just way too demanding. 

The chasm between tolerating Rick Barnes for a decade and not throwing Sarkisan under the bus after 7 games with an inherited roster of shit is pretty fucking wide.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I find it odd that the best coach we’ve hired since Garrido has a fucking plan. I also find it odd that he doesn’t accept excuses as to why he can’t have something. If you want to win, this is what it takes. Truly amazing.

All I can do is laugh to myself about the reality of this statement. Beard is taking no prisoners. Guy has the juice. 

I’ll admit I thought Herman was that guy. His pitch was very very good regarding all facets of running a big program. I felt VERY confident about that hire. Was actually an important lesson for me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

All I can do is laugh to myself about the reality of this statement. Beard is taking no prisoners. Guy has the juice. 

I’ll admit I thought Herman was that guy. His pitch was very very good regarding all facets of running a big program. I felt VERY confident about that hire. Was actually an important lesson for me. 

A Luke Fickell/Saban/Meyer/Beard type personality  is the kind of guy Texas needs it seems that can overcome the dog shit. 

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Funny, I liked Herman and then saw Mack and him make out at the opening press conference and said "if Mack likes him this much, I think I hate him (Herman) already"

I started hating Mack when I knew some inside shit in 2001 and hated him even during VY years.  I talked a lot of shit about him and people hated what I was saying up until they used Colt like I would use Natrone Means.

But to your larger point, Beard certainly is starting off en fuego.  I hope that means MINIMUM sweet 16 but I'm now scared to actually have expectations for any specific season.

And yes, I say damn we need a commitment so this board takes a turn.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

A Luke Fickell/Saban/Meyer/Beard type personality  is the kind of guy Texas needs it seems that can overcome the dog shit. 

This is a worry of mine. The staff has a lot of nice people on it. I wonder where the asshole of the staff is that is the bad cop. Strong was good coach when Clint Hurt was on his staff keeping people in line. He fell apart after that. Feel like Sark needs that on this staff. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is a worry of mine. The staff has a lot of nice people on it. I wonder where the asshole of the staff is that is the bad cop. Strong was good coach when Clint Hurt was on his staff keeping people in line. He fell apart after that. Feel like Sark needs that on this staff. 

probably would have been Muschamp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Exactly the same for me. I was convinced Herman was the guy. It also has changed my perspective on things

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Overcome the Dog Shit.

I actually think this is tremendous.

10 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Funny, I liked Herman and then saw Mack and him make out at the opening press conference and said "if Mack likes him this much, I think I hate him (Herman) already"

Mack Brown not only doesn't like Tom Herman, but he didn't want to come to the press conference, but his Mack Brownishness got the better of him. That being said, that was one of Tom Herman's first and possibly his last savvy move with boosters. 

36 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

You’re not alone, brother. I have been humbled and have to agree with the old lady: I don’t know shit about fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Do schools ever get former players involved? Would imagine there are a lot of guys who got taken care of under Mack and now have a bunch of NFL cash. May be willing to support their old position group. I.e. hey Jamaal and Ricky and Malcolm, let me introduce you to Rueben over here, he's willing to show up to your football camps for $30k each...

Probably some reasons not to involve them though I'd imagine

I think you're really overestimating the wealth of former NFL guys.   There are a lot of former NFL guys that couldn't come up with $30k if their mom's life depended on it. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I

So you did misread it but I could have typed it out better. Either way, yeah, what I am saying is that I think we're systemically fucked. Texas basically needs the next Vince Young to walk through that door. Could be a while. The coaching shitshows haven't helped, but outside of a force of nature as HC, I'm starting to think we're fucked for a good long while irrespective of the staff.

OK, so who is gonna call up Parcells?  we can backtrack to Belichick if needed.

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Mack Brown not only doesn't like Tom Herman, but he didn't want to come to the press conference, but his Mack Brownishness got the better of him. That being said, that was one of Tom Herman's first and possibly his last savvy move with boosters. 

I laughed when Mack was there.  He so wanted to play "DKR seal of approval" role.

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Exactly the same for me. I was convinced Herman was the guy. It also has changed my perspective on things

Ahhhh, didn't know that.

My impression that led me to hate Herman quickly was just what I saw with my own eyes during those hugs.  So I guess it was a savvy move with the billionaires but he lost this non-billionaire fairly early (though I rooted for him to prove me wrong for 2 years).

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I thought Mack loved all his former GAs. Or maybe he just hates anyone coaching Texas now.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

...I'm not sure the fucked-up mindsets from the administration, various UT staffs, and the higher-level boosters around the program aren't actually systemic and perhaps never going away barring something cataclysmic. "

If NIL gets figured out -- because of the market, not any special prowess on our part -- and we're paying for the best staffs and facilities, what are you talking about? Meddling? Cooks in the kitchen? I don't see how our bureaucracy can be that much worse than Ohio State, for instance, but I know nothing about it.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've got a different point of view on the entrenchment of fucked up "We're Texas" logic and when things will change than I guess @SydneyCarton and @Barbacoa and others on here. 

I've seen a weird confluence of relatively unrelated issues mash-up against each other regarding UT over the last 6 months. Like first hand. My view after being in the middle of all of it in some form is that I'm not sure the fucked-up mindsets from the administration, various UT staffs, and the higher-level boosters around the program aren't actually systemic and perhaps never going away barring something cataclysmic. 

We've done a ton of work on NIL related shit. I'm very proud of the genuine effort and outputs I've seen from people like us on this board and other like-minded individuals elsewhere. Largely, the work that has been done has been altruistic and aimed at helping Texas get competitive and stay there on the NIL end. No one has been trying to profit or curry favor as far as I know.

However, at every turn in which any of this momentum across multiple initiatives has gotten people a seat at the table with significant power brokers, money people, or the admin, the net result has been "good luck to you guys, we can't help you, and we really, frankly, don't want to help you or see any of this work out. But hey, let us know if in spite of all of this, you figure it all out and really become a force that we then need to reckon with or help claim credit for! Good luck with aaaaaallllll that."

In addition, the staff has zero interest in helping anything happen, but, hey, they'd also really love for something to happen! Same is true for Crystal and his crew. That guy, having witnessed shit, isn't very intelligent and doesn't want to see anything change, and also doesn't think there's a problem. Ironically, he can gladhand like a motherfucker if he needs a new practice bubble or softball facilities. I guess those are easier to directly claim credit for though, so it makes sense.

Being an outsider and now witnessing things in the SEZ, it's stunning. You go to these games and functions, and all these people want and need is access and influence so that they can show their neighbors pictures with CDC or Peter Gardere or Derrick Johnson. They do not care about winning football games. At all. I have now seen them behave up close and personal through a devastating loss at home and they all seemed to have a wonderful fucking time. I mean, it's a fucking party, with an atmosphere like that of the one held for Harvey Dent in Bruce Wayne's penthouse ahead of the Joker's arrival. The game was a social event for socialites and their families to rub shoulders with one another while some young people tossed a ball around downstairs on the lawn. In other words, these people aren't fans. They're patrons. They expect attention and access, but they do not give one fuck about results. 

@closetojumping Addressing DKR after the People’s Revolution in 2024:

E05A892C-808F-4D2B-90D8-6155675EF335.gif.4f057e767a96c2c2203d5630ac28b156.gif

3 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Dude, it’s just a bye week circle jerk. Nothing here is of substance.

Some people like circle jerks. Otherwise, it wouldn't have a name - I assume you set up a round table and put Nick Saban, Tom Herman, Zach Smith, Adolf Hitler, and Satan around it. I don't know where it goes from there but that's how it starts at least.

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wait, is this actually surprising to people?  The University of Texas administration is Byzantine and doesn’t live and die by football actually producing wins instead of revenue?

Our alumni are by and large far more cautious, patrician, elitist, and wine and cheese crowd than the folks from Alabama,  Auburn, Georgia, LSU and A&M?  

Big money donors who are actual big money affluent urbanites (and not in the sports business like Phil Knight) as opposed to some Boss Hogg yokel by and large don’t want to get involved with paying for 18 year olds to come play college football at a certain college?

Shocking.

42 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

If NIL gets figured out -- because of the market, not any special prowess on our part -- and we're paying for the best staffs and facilities, what are you talking about? Meddling? Cooks in the kitchen? I don't see how our bureaucracy can be that much worse than Ohio State, for instance, but I know nothing about it.

I was at some sort of Greater Houston Partnership networking kind of lunch once not long into my career. The speaker that day to the 200+ people in the ballroom was a C-level guy for the Houston Texans, who were just about to embark on their first season as an org. I don't remember the dude's name, but he certainly had his speech down to the spit and polished shine it needed.

At one point, he told the room about the Texans' three primary goals as an org, even showing them on a slide. Now, I cannot tell you what any one of those three goals was. Not for the life of me. However, I can tell you what was not a part of any of the three goals - winning. Not even a mention of being a winning franchise anywhere in the longwinded speech from the podium for the guy.

Not coincidentally, in my opinion, the Texans are a loser franchise off to one of the worst starts, if not the worst start, for a franchise ever. 

I don't think the problems and the outcomes are much different for Texas football these days. No one inside the AD wants to win above everything else. I'm not sure anyone on Sarkisian's staff has the eye of the tiger either. The major players involved from the donor side also don't appear to give to much of a fuck either. It's not about bureaucracy. It's about everyone being aligned to do the one thing that the rest of us - fans, recruits, and the alumni base at large - want to see the program do, which is win. The entirety of the Ohio State structure is about winning. Same for numerous other schools in the SEC and Oregon and Clemson.

USC has the same shitty problems we do. Michigan has struggled in the same vein.

Winning at some schools is viewed as lifeblood necessity for the program's survival and ability to prosper. At others, it's viewed as an entitlement, ordained by the football gods, and those programs appear genuinely befuddled when it doesn't just unfold that way for them.

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wait, is this actually surprising to people?  The University of Texas administration is Byzantine and doesn’t live and die by football actually producing wins instead of revenue?

Our alumni are by and large far more cautious, patrician, elitist, and wine and cheese crowd than the folks from Alabama,  Auburn, Georgia, LSU and A&M?  

Big money donors who are actual big money affluent urbanites (and not in the sports business like Phil Knight) as opposed to some Boss Hogg yokel by and large don’t want to get involved with paying for 18 year olds to come play college football at a certain college?

spacer.png

It should surprise you that the coaching staff doesn't know what to do about any of it, so they're playing the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil game and hoping everything just works out great without their input or interest. 

The rest was addressing the discussed premise that there's any hope that the program gets right any time soon. My experience in trying to actively help on that is that we're nowhere within smoke signal distance of that being the case due to the issues I enumerated and you repeated, but it wasn't a post on an island.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was at some sort of Greater Houston Partnership networking kind of lunch once not long into my career. The speaker that day to the 200+ people in the ballroom was a C-level guy for the Houston Texans, who were just about to embark on their first season as an org. I don't remember the dude's name, but he certainly had his speech down to the spit and polished shine it needed.

At one point, he told the room about the Texans' three primary goals as an org, even showing them on a slide. Now, I cannot tell you what any one of those three goals was. Not for the life of me. However, I can tell you what was not a part of any of the three goals - winning. Not even a mention of being a winning franchise anywhere in the longwinded speech from the podium for the guy.

Not coincidentally, in my opinion, the Texans are a loser franchise off to one of the worst starts, if not the worst start, for a franchise ever. 

I don't think the problems and the outcomes are much different for Texas football these days. No one inside the AD wants to win above everything else. I'm not sure anyone on Sarkisian's staff has the eye of the tiger either. The major players involved from the donor side also don't appear to give to much of a fuck either. It's not about bureaucracy. It's about everyone being aligned to do the one thing that the rest of us - fans, recruits, and the alumni base at large - want to see the program do, which is win. The entirety of the Ohio State structure is about winning. Same for numerous other schools in the SEC and Oregon and Clemson.

USC has the same shitty problems we do. Michigan has struggled in the same vein.

Winning at some schools is viewed as lifeblood necessity for the program's survival and ability to prosper. At others, it's viewed as an entitlement, ordained by the football gods, and those programs appear genuinely befuddled when it doesn't just unfold that way for them.

We're Cal and its also why we need to cut bait after 3 seasons because if the guy isn't winning big after 3 seasons it isn't happening.  without an actual win at all cost attitude, our only hope is to get lucky on the carousel.

Are the kids having fun?  that's what I want to know...

I kind of get it from the staffs perspective.  They are, at every level, making the most money each has made in their career and with constant turnover they know damn well they better enjoy it while they can.  They also work in a profession where a rival message board owner/poster can catch wind of something fishy and turn you in (the Miss St. Ole Miss scenario as Exhibit A) + they work at a school that, as explained in detail in CTJ's prior posts, is not aligned with WINNING as the #1 goal.  They know damn well 1 hint of negative publicity/smoke regarding anything unethical (much less against NCAA rules) might result in immediate termination from a Plonsky-esque compliance dept and University (and frankly alumni base) that by and large cares more about optics than winning football games.  

So it sounds like the problem isn't finding money, it's establishing the NIL processes/infrastructure deploy it. The impediment to establishing those processes is a combination of motivation and know-how (no one at UT has set up something like that before).

It's wild to think that Sark, Banks, and Bo Davis in particular don't know how things work or what is needed at a high level, but I can understand that they've never actually built the infrastructure before. If the motivation were there, seems like you could hire someone to build it. Wonder if Drew Hughes could've done it, he's been around plenty of those types of programs. Mr Glasscock has not. Will be interesting to see if there are many recruiting department changes this offseason. 

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s basically this.   There’s a huge amount of institutional complacency that is infectious.  What we need is people like Beard and - yes, I’ll say it - early Mack Brown who are proactive about getting what they need to acquire talent and win.   These hurdles can be cleared, but it takes being more proactive here than at other places.

Most coaches get here and go with the flow because it’s comfortable. Sark isn’t a rock the boat guy.  Chris Del Conte is probably the worst kind of AD for us to actually get football kicked into gear.  The corporate glad-handing salesman thing does great for fundraising and soothing complaints, but we need more cutthroat results oriented influence - which is the polar opposite of what he brings to the table.

We will hire a go getter eventually.   Or we will at least eventually have a period like USC or Miami where the affluent big city wine and cheese school puts the money to work for a while and becomes the trendy place for players.   I might try embracing the country club / glamorous persona as a selling point instead of always trying to run from it to fit the square peg into a round hole.  Make Texas the flashy place it is.  That’s the draw of places like USC, Miami and Texas - big city flashy, not trying to act like we’re more Alabama than Alabama.  Pete Carroll and Ron Meyer knew the drill.  

But, yeah, we’re probably never going to sustain ruthless top level success for decades like Ohio State, OU or Alabama because it’s just not as important here.

The difference is Texas is still number 1 revenue school despite lost decade. Ohio state Alabama OU feel the $ pain much more if they suck.

4 hours ago, Orange&White said:

The chasm between tolerating Rick Barnes for a decade and not throwing Sarkisan under the bus after 7 games with an inherited roster of shit is pretty fucking wide.

I was responding to a post about Beard and John Wooden with a statement about Rick Barnes What does that have to do with Steve Sarkisian?

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So you did misread it but I could have typed it out better. Either way, yeah, what I am saying is that I think we're systemically fucked. Texas basically needs the next Vince Young to walk through that door. Could be a while. The coaching shitshows haven't helped, but outside of a force of nature as HC, I'm starting to think we're fucked for a good long while irrespective of the staff.

This is where I'm at. What you mentioned regarding the administration and power-wielding donors largely treating football as a side show to a social event is hardly surprising given their track record, and there is a big portion of the rank and file alumni/fanbase and student body that feel the same way. Culturally, we are Michigan or a Pac-12 school from the top down. The SEC is going to be rough unless Texas hits on a bona fide elite coaching hire and/or gets transcendent talent in the building. That's not all that different from most of the program's history, to be honest, it was just still good enough to rack up SWC titles competing against aggy, pig, SMU, Tech, etc. Texas joined OU in the Big 12 and instantly became a second tier program that only two of the greatest CFB QB's of all time could elevate.

I'm not even making a value judgement on the whole issue necessarily, but at some point we have to realize what we are.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

But, yeah, we’re probably never going to sustain ruthless top level success for decades like Ohio State, OU or Alabama because it’s just not as important here.

Agree that we probably won't ever reach the same levels of diehardedness bc people in Austin have other shit to do, but we have other advantages that we need to be taking advantage of. Like legitimate NIL for current players. For whatever we lack in "booster NIL", we should be able to offset a lot of it with legit business NIL deals. These wouldn't be directly targeted at a specific recruit, but recruits will get plenty of stats on what current guys are making and it would help with the portal (retention and inbounds).

So I think the UT winning formula will have to be a little different from Bama, etc - instead of pure booster funds, it's gonna have to be part boosters, and part businesses who want at least a partial ROI. 

Unfortunately, at this point I doubt there are many local businesses that are aware of NIL and how they can get value from it, and even fewer that actually know how to navigate it. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting