Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

Be careful. Several posters will start claiming you’re a big pussy for conceding Stewart to the aggies.

I’m not conceding anything.  I don’t expect Stewart in this class.  Kids that decommit RARELY recommit to the same school.  Everyone has known this kid’s family is looking for a pay day. 

19 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Wait, is this actually surprising to people?  The University of Texas administration is Byzantine and doesn’t live and die by football actually producing wins instead of revenue?

Our alumni are by and large far more cautious, patrician, elitist, and wine and cheese crowd than the folks from Alabama,  Auburn, Georgia, LSU and A&M?  

Big money donors who are actual big money affluent urbanites (and not in the sports business like Phil Knight) as opposed to some Boss Hogg yokel by and large don’t want to get involved with paying for 18 year olds to come play college football at a certain college?

spacer.png

The funny part is that if they won a lot more they would make even more money. The problem isn't the focus on the money it's that they are sacrificing the vision of what a totally fucking dominant texas looks like vs everyone else. They think because they make all the money they are already there, when in reality they should be worth twice what the next program pulls in. 

18 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

So it sounds like the problem isn't finding money, it's establishing the NIL processes/infrastructure deploy it. The impediment to establishing those processes is a combination of motivation and know-how (no one at UT has set up something like that before).

It's wild to think that Sark, Banks, and Bo Davis in particular don't know how things work or what is needed at a high level, but I can understand that they've never actually built the infrastructure before. If the motivation were there, seems like you could hire someone to build it. Wonder if Drew Hughes could've done it, he's been around plenty of those types of programs. Mr Glasscock has not. Will be interesting to see if there are many recruiting department changes this offseason. 

That's not true. The problem is believe it or not the bag game of dark money is actually altruistic in a way. The bag men don't get anything but access and their ego stroked and the money guys get all the money to the players. NIL has at least 2 people in the middle and in most cases 4 and they all want their "fee".

17 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree that we probably won't ever reach the same levels of diehardedness bc people in Austin have other shit to do, but we have other advantages that we need to be taking advantage of. Like legitimate NIL for current players. For whatever we lack in "booster NIL", we should be able to offset a lot of it with legit business NIL deals. These wouldn't be directly targeted at a specific recruit, but recruits will get plenty of stats on what current guys are making and it would help with the portal (retention and inbounds).

So I think the UT winning formula will have to be a little different from Bama, etc - instead of pure booster funds, it's gonna have to be part boosters, and part businesses who want at least a partial ROI. 

Unfortunately, at this point I doubt there are many local businesses that are aware of NIL and how they can get value from it, and even fewer that actually know how to navigate it. 

There is no such thing as ROI for NIL deals. You pay amateur athletes that have no obligation to do anything besides get high enough grades to be on the team. The allure here is that athletes should benefit for general activity instead of specific sports related activity. 

We have interviewed a lot of players doing this NIL stuff and one thing I can assure you of is that we don't get the "real" versions of these guys. Our media has trained people not to be real or have/display emotion or really have much personality as it quickly runaway trains into a distraction from the team. 

Imagine if people actually thought one of the guys was funny or loved watching breakdowns from their perspective because they had a way of explaining it to people that they couldn't understand. NIL definitely covers both of those things, but it's not actually possible to get from them because of the organizational and competitive limitations that are put on them. If you are too funny or too much of a goof, it comes out in practice and people want to goof off. 

Imagine if we got to hear stories like Shark told us about being a sugar baby from some guys on the active roster. Telling us about shennanigans they get into and hilarious aspects of their life. That would be awesome right? Yeah right up until the media heard about it and put their shit on blast for fucking old ladies at a bar. Then it becomes a team distraction and this is why we can't have nice things. 

We need a personality bigger than football to just say I don't fucking care what the media thinks and prove they aren't a distraction by just balling the fuck out.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'll do what I like with my vagina. Stop obsessing over it.

I'd say your reaction to my statement of boredome has darker shades of irritated genitalia than anything I wrote. 

Also, if there's nothing recruiting related to talk about maybe peruse a few other threads.

I don't want to imagine what you see as you envision my vagina erupting sand all over your anxiously awaiting face.

That is an innovative way to spell boredom. I've tried to imagine what a football experience would be like inside the Boredome and it's not pretty. I assume we'd witness some sort of Jim Tressel-esque lame ass offense butting heads with some sort of Mark D'antonio-esque meathead defense. Basically the worst games from the Big 10 over the last 20 years. Grim. You can keep your Boredome, sir.

2 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Humidor

Hide contents

TEAM

Credit to the team, there certainly doesn’t seem to be any hangover after back-to-back disappointing losses followed by a bye week. After monitoring things behind the scenes as best we can this week, the program seems to be champing at the bit to return to the field.

Though practices were a little shorter — designed to keep the players more fresh as they get deeper into the season — they were spirited with plenty of good on good action. Thursday featured two minute drill work where the defense got the better of the offense.

Thursday was a heavy special teams day. On source mentioned, ”since Jeff Banks arrived, players really started buying into the third phase being just as important as offense and defense.” They’ve made too many mental miscues, but they’ve made a lot of plays as well. Tidy up the mistakes and special teams will be a big plus going forward. Baylor return man Trestan Ebner will test the coverage teams’ cohesiveness this week.

Having faced numerous quarterbacks who pose a threat with their legs and that the defense want to keep in the pocket, the defense feels prepared for Gerry Bohanon. Also, having played Oklahoma State recently has them feeling confident in their understanding of playing outside zone. They know they have to finish better than they have in recent weeks but they’ve also played zone well for long stretches.

We don’t expect Jaylan Ford to start, but he should play extensively. He could spell both Overshown or Brockermeyer.

Another slight defensive personnel note, Chris Adimora and Jerrin Thompson flip-flopped. Now Thompson is behind BJ Foster and Adimora is behind Schooler. It’ll be interesting if we see much Thompson.

Despite Gerry Bohanon only throwing one interception this year, there’s the belief Baylor is more susceptible to turnovers.

We’re expecting the same offensive line that started the Oklahoma State game: Jones-Angilau-Majors-Imade-Kerstetter.

They may use more of a personnel package and player many fans have been clamoring for.

Baylor coming off of a bye assures the Texas coaches Dave Aranda’s staff will have some tricks up their sleeves on both sides of the ball, so be ready for anything.

The coaches stressed the importance of finishing the game how they start. “Baylor will have confidence they can win this game if they just play hard for four quarters.”

We expect sophomore cornerback Kitan Crawford to miss this game but the team is otherwise pretty healthy beyond the known injuries.

RECRUITING

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: It’s status quo with the elite interior offensive lineman from the Metroplex. Texas, OU, and Alabama appear to be the strongest candidates with LSU still hanging around. Texas having the last official visit (will be in December) could be critical considering Oklahoma has made strides in this pursuit.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX) - 2022: With a 200-yard rushing performance the five-star put on a show last night in front of an impressive audience. Texas coaches Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks were on hand, along with Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher and staffers from LSU. Michigan State offered this week, further speculating Mel Tucker’s candidacy for the LSU opening.

CB Denver Harris, Houston (Texas) North Shore - 2022: On3 took in an afternoon practice at North Shore earlier this week. The best news for Texas fans coming out of the visit was Alabama was no longer the pick of people in the North Shore program. It was split between LSU and Texas. A common thought was Harris may prefer LSU due to Corey Raymond being his favorite position coach by far. The other thought was Texas could win out due to Texas doing very well with the mom in the recruitment. This will likely come down to the wire with questions still remaining, chiefly, who will be LSU’s new head coach?

DL Kristopher Ross, Houston (Texas) North Shore - 2022: The On300 uber athletic defensive tackle prospect remains solid with the Longhorns despite Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Auburn continuing to try and make pushes at various times. Ross’ relationship with Bo Davis, and seeing the ability to push for early playing time due to the need for a disruptor will keep the Longhorns in a very good spot leading up to the December early signing period.

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023: He’ll play in front of Alabama and LSU coaches tonight before heading to Clemson for an unofficial visit this weekend. Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee are maintaining their grip on the On3 No. 1 overall prospect. Newman coaches say Manning continues to enjoy the process and they intend to keep him out of the spotlight as much as possible.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022: The On3 No. 4 ranked prospect in the class is working to be a December graduate from Liberty High. That would mean giving up track in the spring, thus showing a commitment to being ready to make an impact as a freshman on the field. According to a locked in source in the DFW area, the 6-foot-0, 175-pound ultra explosive receiver is likely to decide between Texas and Texas A&M. There is a chance Stewart will be at Texas A&M again November 6 for the Auburn game. He was originally scheduled to be at Alabama on an official visit. Something to watch, but we’ve had sources who felt confident he would stay in-state and that continues to be the case.

With Texas, Stewart knows it’s a terrific offense for a wide receiver to play in. The concern on the Longhorns side is how far the program is from being a contender.

For those that don’t believe Stewart would go to Texas A&M because the wide receivers don’t put up numbers or get as many targets as many others, that won’t be a deal-breaker. Those close to Stewart see him as the missing piece for the Aggie offense and better than anyone Texas A&M has in the program at the position.

Texas working on flips

There are two 2022 prospects committed to other schools that have filled out applications to Texas. Does that mean the two prospects will flip their commitments to Texas? No, it does not. But both continue to consider the Longhorns and their options leading up to the December early signing period. Both have been very receptive to the Texas staff, and could show up in Austin in November.

The Texas staff is working hard to get two or three prospects currently committed to other schools on campus November 13 for the Kansas game. That doesn‘t include On300 quarterback and USC verbal Devin Brown (Queen Creek, AZ/Corner Canyon, UT) who is publicly scheduled to make an official visit that weekend.

The Longhorns are looking to sign a second signal caller in the 2022 class, or bring in a starter quality player out of the portal.

Brooks and Anderson are the paperwork guys. Banks is one of the commitments elsewhere that they're trying to get to visit, among others. They didn't mention Dewberry, but he's realizing, in his head at least, that he could be a freshman starter at Texas. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

A&M is going to try to shut Stewart down if he makes it back for the Auburn game. We've seen this movie before.

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

IF this is true, we're just being straight up out-recruited. There's no way he should be believing this bs.

All things equal, Stewart has always been going to Texas. That might actually wind up being the case, absurdly. If there isn't a big discrepancy in $$ at signing day, it's Texas. If there's some sort of massive difference, then, yeah, it's not a recruiting issue. The guy does not want to go to ATM and be the main guy. IT knows that. What the fuck are they supposed to say? That if ATM catapults a $250k bag (or thumbdrive) over the Stewart family fence, he's theirs? That ... would not be smart for an actual journalistic service to write. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Only grand slam I can think of is Meyer? If it’s Lincoln that’s ok

I don’t see urban going the sec route. He knows how difficult it will be to win the conference let alone a natty. If he’s coming back to college it’s to USC

15 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Matt rhule to lsu 

I can’t see it. If he were to come back to college, Penn State would be the main school of choice. He has the school and recruiting ties. He could also recruit Texas. He wouldn’t need to worry about SEC shit as well. Penn State would be willing to make him a very rich man to keep him if Franklin left.  

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

So @closetojumping and @SydneyCarton did race?

Even SC admits that we indeed raced. 4 consecutive 100 yard sprints. The dispute is that I'm telling the truth when I say that I beat him by at least 10 yards each time, and he's of this belief that he was ever so close each time. I mean, I turned around after finishing one of the heats and filmed him coming down the field.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I think the most interesting thing i've read on this board in the past 2 weeks is 250k for Stewart, but Thompson was only 40? wouldn't it be better to get 5 40's rather than 1 250. Maybe I'm just bored and over thinking this.

Yeah I'd like to have two 4's for the experience, but most times I'm going for the single 8.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Even SC admits that we indeed raced. 4 consecutive 100 yard sprints. The dispute is that I'm telling the truth when I say that I beat him by at least 10 yards each time, and he's of this belief that he was ever so close each time. I mean, I turned around after finishing one of the heats and filmed him coming down the field.

Did this happen in Vegas or Waco?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Dabo to LSU would screw up Bama's post-Saban succession plan.

Dabo is already a Top 5 paid coach (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach) and I don't see the allure of going to LSU to start a rebuild.

LSU is a shitshow off the field.

Like you, I would be floored if he leaves for anywhere that isn't Bama in the (near) future.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There is no such thing as ROI for NIL deals. You pay amateur athletes that have no obligation to do anything besides get high enough grades to be on the team. The allure here is that athletes should benefit for general activity instead of specific sports related activity.

curious but that is basically the only "qualifier" for getting the NIL $ right? eligible + on the team?

for example, if Random Tight End decided to hit the portal today and withdraws from Texas what happens there?

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone see an update on the OT that plays with Lander Barton? I know we had a coach out that way, so I assumed we would’ve heard something about that in person eval by now. Yeah, I know I can  go fuck myself for refusing to wade back through the last few pages detailing the escape from Shawshank to the creek.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tyler-Knaak-150341/RecruitInterests/

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone see an update on the OT that plays with Lander Barton? I know we had a coach out that way, so I assumed we would’ve heard something about that in person eval by now. Yeah, I know I can  go fuck myself for refusing to wade back through the last few pages detailing the escape from Shawshank to the creek.

I didn't see any updates regarding Knaak. He could be a contingency, or he may not be super interested at this point, or both. I keep waiting to see new OL offers going out, the fact that they are not makes me think the staff is very confident on some of their top targets, or we are about to get the rug pulled out from under us. I don't think there is an in between. 

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I think the most interesting thing i've read on this board in the past 2 weeks is 250k for Stewart, but Thompson was only 40? wouldn't it be better to get 5 40's rather than 1 250. Maybe I'm just bored and over thinking this.

I think the sentiment was more of the "Stewart is an $80k player, but if aggy backs up the Brinks truck and drops something stupid like $250k on him, then yes, he will go to aggy"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I didn't see any updates regarding Knaak. He could be a contingency, or he may not be super interested at this point, or both. I keep waiting to see new OL offers going out, the fact that they are not makes me think the staff is very confident on some of their top targets, or we are about to get the rug pulled out from under us. I don't think there is an in between. 

Or maybe the staff has the players ranked: 1. Banks 2. Campbell 3. Dewberry 4. Agbo 5. Any random portal dude 6. Any random portal dude 7. Any random portal dude 8. Any random portal dude 9. Any random portal dude 10. 3 star OLine prospect

and thus they'd much rather save the spots for transfers than signing a 3 Star guy

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

curious but that is basically the only "qualifier" for getting the NIL $ right? eligible + on the team?

for example, if Random Tight End decided to hit the portal today and withdraws from Texas what happens there?

They are a burnt end and represent the burnt ends and have to fulfill their engagements through next august. The contracts do not auto renew, just the subscription for the program does. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Still hasn't been offered, but is eager to visit if that happens

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Dabo to LSU would screw up Bama's post-Saban succession plan.

Dabo is already a Top 5 paid coach (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach) and I don't see the allure of going to LSU to start a rebuild.

Can you not see the vast market potential in his signature line of "Dabodin" meat products? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, immamac said:

That's not what ROI means. ROI means that Dr. Pepper sells more soda because they paid DJ Uigaulalelelielelei $200k. Or that Covert Hutto sells more cars, because they paid Demarvion Overshown.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Pos rep for taking a good cut at it there.

I think Daboudin fits better though.

Indeed it does. What's really sad is that I spelled it that way, then screwed it up without even realizing it. Having Cajuns on both sides of the family, I offer no good excuse. Oh well, Dabeaux is the best take anyway. 

47 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I think the sentiment was more of the "Stewart is an $80k player, but if aggy backs up the Brinks truck and drops something stupid like $250k on him, then yes, he will go to aggy"

I've been wondering what the going rate is for a typical top-10 player. Is $80k about right? Whatever it has been, I'd imagine it will go up with NIL and new TV contract money.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I've been wondering what the going rate is for a typical top-10 player. Is $80k about right? Whatever it has been, I'd imagine it will go up with NIL and new TV contract money.

There is no price. These recruits don’t talk about or acknowledge it once it’s happened. That’s how you get caught. 

since it’s all so hush hush every person has a different expectation and every program has a different person willing to risk money on a completely unproven high school kid. 

NIL is even lacking significant transparency to make it lucrative for the players, which is why most are complete dogshit deals and no one knows what the going rate for anything is. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Spoiler alert: They Don’t. 

Covert doesn't. But Dr. Pepper didn't pay DJ because they're Clemson fans. It's bc they thought he'd be a superstar and sell more sodas (they bet on the wrong guy, but that's bidness). So there's both. Pro athletes have been getting ROI-driven endorsements forever. 

Lower-profile players won't get national TV ads but they could get a few Gs here and there for social media posts, local ads, etc. Would only make sense for businesses targeting the follower base these guys tend to have (UT students, Austinites, etc). So mainly local consumer-oriented companies like Tiff's Treats, Thundercloud, retail chains and so on.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Covert doesn't. But Dr. Pepper didn't pay DJ because they're Clemson fans. It's bc they thought he'd be a superstar and sell more sodas (they bet on the wrong guy, but that's bidness). So there's both. Pro athletes have been getting ROI-driven endorsements forever. 

Lower-profile players won't get national TV ads but they could get a few Gs here and there for social media posts, local ads, etc. Would only make sense for businesses targeting the follower base these guys tend to have (UT students, Austinites, etc). So mainly local consumer-oriented companies like Tiff's Treats, Thundercloud, retail chains and so on.

Dr Pepper won’t do it again. 

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

There is no price. These recruits don’t talk about or acknowledge it once it’s happened. That’s how you get caught. 

since it’s all so hush hush every person has a different expectation and every program has a different person willing to risk money on a completely unproven high school kid. 

NIL is even lacking significant transparency to make it lucrative for the players, which is why most are complete dogshit deals and no one knows what the going rate for anything is. 

Yeah that makes sense, I didn't mean a set market price, was just curious where it tends to end up. I'm sure schools that see a lot of these have a rough range that they see as reasonable, above which they'll just move on.

18 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Really having trouble imagining what other white whale coaches are out there for LSU to hire if it’s not Urban Meyer. And one that would make us sick on top of it. No way Saban is going back there. Joe Brady had a great offensive year calling plays in 2019 but hasn’t lit the world on fire in the NFL and has zero track record running a major college program. 

It really should be an entertaining coaching carousel this year. I saw somewhere that VT might let go of Fuente as well. 

Matt Rhule?  Dabo?  Both seem incredibly unlikely but those would stir shit up here.

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It's hard to know for a car dealership. They're required by the manufacturers to spend $X per month on advertising and related expenditures, so maybe they're willing to just spend it on NIL deals, since it's money they have to spend anyway. But, since there's no real way to track exactly what the ROI is, they ultimately just have to hope that the NIL deal raises awareness and increases the sentiment of the dealership.

Having Demarvion on payroll might not translate to a specific car sale happening, but somebody could decide to buy a car from Covert, because they saw a commercial on KXAN, and heard a spot on the radio, and saw Demarvion talking about it on Twitter. It's just part of a multi-pronged approach for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Dr Pepper won’t do it again. 

Won't do what again? Pay DJ ? Pay a college athlete? Pay for an incoming freshman that has had no results prior to school?

Dr. Pepper for sure will pay another college athlete. They'll just do a better job of picking next time. The big brands are just hoping to hit on the next Zion Williamson or Trevor Lawrence or whomever.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I do think we've established that both can be true at the same time though.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If you guys need a pickmeup from the depressing commentary from the assholes up thread, it was reiterated today that, for whatever reason, Texas is extremely confident in locking up these guys that will be signing day stories. I know that whatever the staff is, especially guys like Banks and Davis, it isn’t naive. So, I guess we’ll see, but I figured I’d at least pass that on if it pulls someone back from a spree shooting. 

Sounds like we're employing the old sneak-attack strategy at the buzzer. I like it.

20 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Im not sure anything could be more positive than our current President and the board being aligned towards winning and serious football. Thats the really good part. They want to win. This whole conversation isnt really even possible under the previous regime. 

When I was a student and Jay was Dean of McCombs, I worked with him on a fairly big academic event that required him to take some initiative. The dude doesn't mess around. Once he got involved, shit got done immediately and effectively. Only one experience but I feel pretty good about having him involved.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting