Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

The only argument I hear for keeping Sark is from people who believe in the sunk-cost fallacy.

He's gotta go and we need to hire someone young, hungry and competent who can build a program, preach patience, and who is well-connected and respected in Texas. Traylor would be perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The only argument I hear for keeping Sark is from people who believe in the sunk-cost fallacy.

He's gotta go and we need to hire someone young, hungry and competent who can build a program, preach patience, and who is well-connected and respected in Texas. Traylor would be perfect.

Firing sark is a non starter if we do that you might as well kill the program. That’d be the equivalent of the death penalty. We are wasting our time even considering that. The fact that a coach is on the hot seat after 10 games makes this job so unattractive. if you were a top young coach would you take this job?

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Do we have the money to fire/buyout Sark & co., plus hire a brand-new staff? Regardless of whether he pans out or flames out, we're probably stuck with him until he eventually becomes cheap enough to fire. I doubt the boosters are lining up to spend more $$$ for CDC at this point.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

You do realize we currently have stage 4 lung cancer?

No we don’t. We have a soft ass team and a weak culture that needs to be changed. Firing every swinging dick that walks through the door ain’t gonna solve our problems. We are stuck with sark for better or for worse and your options are either to support the team or stop caring. This is where we are

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

What has Sark done this year, or ever, to make you believe he's capable of that? I get not wanting to fire another coach but when there's rot you've gotta cut it out.

No Im gonna let him get his guys and give him a chance to right the ship. His only croot is our best player. You people are acting so disgusted like this is so unbelievable when we needed a last second FG to beat Kansas the last time they came here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

No Im gonna let him get his guys and give him a chance to right the ship. His only croot is our best player. You people are acting so disgusted like this is so unbelievable when we needed a last second FG to beat Kansas the last time they came here. 

Be careful bringing logic to this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, BigDSteve said:

Sark found a way to score 49 on Kansas with a dinged up QB1, WR1, no WR 2 or 3, losing RB1, RB3 & RB4, and playing an injured RB2.

you realize Kansas is literally dead-last in the FBS in scoring defense, right? 130th out of 130 teams. We're the fifth team to have scored 49 or more on them this year, and that includes 3-7 Duke.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigDSteve said:

Sark found a way to score 49 on Kansas with a dinged up QB1, WR1, no WR 2 or 3, losing RB1, RB3 & RB4, and playing an injured RB2.  I think offensively we will be fine (especially if he could get a lineman or two in).  The issue is we gave up 49 to KU in regulation.  A half competent D, and we win this going away.  Sark can save his job and create a legacy with a Coach Boom type D Coordinator hire.

he’s already created a legacy by being the first texas coach since 1956 to lose five in a row and the only one to ever lose to fucking kansas at DKR. 

and you know who else scored 49 or more on kansas this year? coastal carolina and duke. gtfoh.

• Hook 'Em 2

Eric Nahlin: Sliding doors and how this season’s issues highlight the amount of work ahead

Texas football is so routinely disappointing fans can’t even find happiness when OU and A&M lose on the same day. But to lose to Kansas? Again? After winning by the narrowest of margins at home in 2019? To Kansas?

The only silver lining that could possibly be gained from this loss is if it promotes action that leads directly to long-term solutions. You don’t lose that game due to personnel issues or injuries. Yes, those issues are real, but again…Kansas. Even with an improved coaching staff, which they have, KU should be no match for this Texas team.

There is a sliding doors element to what’s happened this season. For the uninitiated, that means: “The term ‘a sliding doors moment’ became a term popularised in the late twentieth and early twenty first century meaning tiny, seemingly inconsequential moments that can alter the trajectory of future events.” E.g., the time you drunkenly slung your bowling ball three lanes over and picked up a spare for the pretty gal who would later become your wife is a sliding doors moment. Had it only gone two lanes over you’d be married to a trucker.

For Texas football, that moment could be four or five different individual plays against OU, the costly turnover versus Ok. St., numerous missed opportunities versus Baylor, etc. Undoubtedly those negative moments in succession led to the psychologically beaten down team we’ve seen in the last two weeks. There’s no excuse for what we saw last night, but that loss didn’t occur in a vacuum.

We knew before yesterday Steve Sarkisian has a monumental offseason ahead of him, but it’s even more profound now. This program needs strong personalities and multipliers. Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy are offensive multiplying talents, but they play positions that are downstream from the most important ones. Running back and wide receiver are dependent on competency upstream at offensive line, quarterback, and coordinator.

If Texas had a multiplier at quarterback, or even just one that was consistently solid, this season would look at lot different because of the importance of the position. (This is generally speaking as Casey Thompson played plenty good enough to lead the team to victory last night and he deserves extra credit for showing mental toughness and putting that interception behind him tying the game up late)

Given circumstances, can Texas expect to find a multiplier at the position? If so, how soon? The latest intel on Arch Manning — from late last week — is the losses haven’t hurt Texas. Two things: that was before the KU game; and it’s just hard to logically accept he would commit to this program in its current state. Hopefully he’s a Sliding Doors fan and can see the other direction this season could have gone. Even if he does, he wouldn’t arrive until January 2023.

Texas desperately needs a quarterback out of the Portal. Since those guys are often hired guns, it’s more believable Sarkisian could find a quality starter on the waiver wire. That needs to happen no matter what the status is with Manning. Uncertainty at quarterback hurts in many ways, including recruiting. RECRUITING! I FORGOT ABOUT RECRUITING. FML.

Looking at next year doesn’t paint a rosy picture. There are just too many issues that need to be addressed. They include, but aren’t limited to: quarterback, offensive line, linebacker, wide receiver, defensive coordinator, strength and conditioning, culture/leadership. (I’m not calling for PK’s head, but I’m not not saying he should be replaced. Sark has an interesting decision ahead of him and it will be interesting to see how he handles it. Ideally a defensive hire of some sort will be made, one that also improves culture)

These are the pillars of a college football program. We always say you need to be set at QB, OL, S&C, and at coordinator on the opposite side of the ball of the head coach’s expertise. Nope, nope, eh, nope. Quick turnarounds happen all the time in sports. It’s one of the things that make them great. But, even if sliding doors played a part in The Great Uraveling, the issues outlined above still need to be adequately addressed in the offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Well I agree that it will take time to tear down and build it back up. I'm not as confident in having the right guy. Hopefully he's right.

I haven't been bothered by sarks in game coaching decisions like going for it vs punting ect. Only egregious one was the fake punt vs Baylor. His offense is also really good. We all know about our OL and who our QB is and the fact that we only have one legit WR. What sark has done with that group has been impressive to me. Story of his tenure will be if he has the balls to shake up the defensive staff

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I haven't been bothered by sarks in game coaching decisions like going for it vs punting ect. Only egregious one was the fake punt vs Baylor. His offense is also really good. We all know about our OL and who our QB is and the fact that we only have one legit WR. What sark has done with that group has been impressive to me. Story of his tenure will be if he has the balls to shake up the defensive staff

Agree with all that. The offense is gonna be excellent with a decent OL and QB (already 13th in scoring offense). The question with him is more around being the "CEO" of the program - instilling the culture, discipline, and practice habits that are needed to be good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Is there anyway we can get Mrs. Muschamp to reconsider. He seems like a culture changer. Pay him whatever or her. His son want playing time? Lucky for him we play walk ons…

I would sure think we'll try. Now that they've had that year (sorta) off, maybe she'd reconsider. Although this job looks less attractive now.

Definitely think we need a DC that brings some fire and intensity to the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I would sure think we'll try. Now that they've had that year (sorta) off, maybe she'd reconsider. Although this job looks less attractive now.

Definitely think we need a DC that brings some fire and intensity to the program.

its more likely that we fire some position coaches than firing PK, sadly. His reputation might give him another year but the leash will be short

Herbies right. The problem is do we have a stomach for the shit show continuing. I hate fucking saying stupid shit like Aranda was 2-7 last year. But I’m not sure we can stomach 2-7 but for Baylor 2-7 is the norm. Also can he get his guys in the system and a d coordinator that isn’t a fucking retard 

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

So be as impatient as possible by firing sark after 1 year, but then be patient with his replacement?  Why and how?  

35 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This is the correct take.

Not often I find myself in agreement with Kirk, and I’m not sure I am regarding having the right guy, but you have to let him show whether or not he’s the right guy.  This season’s team is mostly the product of the previous staff.  He doesn’t need 4 years. We should have a good idea by the end of year 2 and for sure by the end of year 3 if he’s still around. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree with all that. The offense is gonna be excellent with a decent OL and QB (already 13th in scoring offense). The question with him is more around being the "CEO" of the program - instilling the culture, discipline, and practice habits that are needed to be good.

Thats why you let him get his kids in the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I believe that Sark can be successful here, but I'd like to see him do what Mack did with Dick Tomey. 

Bring in a crusty old coach to evaluate shit and offer advice. 

Sark is going to reliant on a good DC. If that side is struggling he is going to have issues. He isn’t a CEO HC and his DC is going to run his own little fiefdom. Missing on the defensive staff was a nut punch to him 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I believe that Sark can be successful here, but I'd like to see him do what Mack did with Dick Tomey. 

There’s a former coach on fox’s pregame show now. He seems like a reasonable guy to get help from

Edited by OB3

25 minutes ago, OB3 said:

There’s a former coach on fox’s pregame show now. He seems like a reasonable guy to get help from

Chris Petersen works with FOX, and would be a great consultant hire -- and he's coached with PK.  

Boise State

Following a highly successful stretch in Bozeman, Kwiatkowski returned to Boise State in 2006 to coach the defensive line under recently promoted head coach Chris Petersen. In 2010, he was promoted to defensive coordinator and his unit finished second nationally in total defense; he stayed at BSU through 2013.

Washington

After the 2013 season, Kwiatkowski followed Petersen to Washington in Seattle. In his debut season as defensive coordinator for the Huskies in 2014, he coached three to All-American status, including the first unanimous All-American at Washington in 20 years: defensive end Hau'oli Kikaha. Four of Kwiatkowski's players were selected in the first two rounds of the 2015 NFL Draft, including three in the first round.[4]

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

stoops?

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Chris Petersen works with FOX, and would be a great consultant hire -- and he's coached with PK.  

I actually was talking about stoops. But didn’t realize Petersen was with Fox, that would be great

45 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Mack was still having ten win seasons and top 5 recruiting classes at that time.

we aren’t going to have top five classes   See below 

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

3 hours ago, BigDSteve said:

Sark found a way to score 49 on Kansas with a dinged up QB1, WR1, no WR 2 or 3, losing RB1, RB3 & RB4, and playing an injured RB2.  I think offensively we will be fine (especially if he could get a lineman or two in).  The issue is we gave up 49 to KU in regulation.  A half competent D, and we win this going away.  Sark can save his job and create a legacy with a Coach Boom type D Coordinator hire.

uh, scoring 40+ on fucking Kansas at home is the bare minimum.  that's what he did.  yes PK is a disaster.  every team runs for 200 on us.  he can't even scheme to stop at least one side of the O.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

what?  Stoops isn't going to consult with Texas especially after dumbass Sark tried to hire him and then had to tell him no.

I figured me saying “a reasonable guy to get help from” would’ve given away the sarcasm but I guess not

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark and company need to be smart enough to read the room right now.  I would not be stupid like Herman and put all your eggs in landing Banks, Dewberry, Perkins, Harris, Stewart, or Campbell.  It is likely we miss on all of them than us winning any of these recruitments right now.  They need to start building good relationships with our plan Bs so we don’t end up with a 2nd transition class.  That will bury us further.  Need to keep Thompson and Miller in the fold on offense.   Need to go heard after Mathew Golden.  

We need to get Devin Brown and another transfer QB from a D1 program with experience. I would not spend another minute developing Card.  He’s more likely to transfer and I wouldn’t be surprised if Casey did either.  Casey had 1 foot out the door during fall camp.  

We need to throw bodies at OL.  Start your plan B evaluations now and offer them now.  I’m not sure offering a starting spot to any of the elite prospects we’re after is going to convince them to come on board.  We can’t be left standing with our dicks in our hand.  Evaluate some guys with size and athleticism and coach them up.  We’re going to need to hit on our evaluations.  Hell look at who Iowa State, Okie State, Ole Miss is offering and go after those guys.  

On defense, we need to keep all of our DL commits in the fold.  These guys are legit recruits and other teams are about to hover like vultures to poach them.  Need to help Bo Davis drop a bag for Tapp and tell Finkley he’s guaranteed an acceptance to the med school.  Need to keep Bryant in the fold as Ole Miss is playing well.  Keep Allen and Jordan committed.  These guys are solid prospects.  We need to find some fucking linebackers because I fully expect DMO to declare for the draft.  

At this point, they need to focus all of their efforts in making sure this current class doesn’t fall apart.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Sark and company need to be smart enough to read the room right now.  I would not be stupid like Herman and put all you eggs in landing Banks, Dewberry, Perkins, Harris, Stewart, or Campbell.  It is likely we miss on all of them than us winning any of these recruitments right now.  They need to start building good relationships with our plan Bs so we don’t end up with a 2nd transition class.  That will bury us further.  Need to keep Thompson and Miller the the fold on offense.   Need to go he’s after Mathew Golden.  

We need to get Devin Brown and another transfer QB from a D1 program with experience.I would not spend another minute developing Card.  He’s more likely to transfer and I wouldn’t be surprised if Casey did either.  Casey had 1 foot out the door during fall camp.  

We need to throw bodies at OL.  Start your plan B evaluations now and offer them now.  I’m not sure offering a starting spot to any of the elite prospects we’re after is going to convince them to come on board.  We can’t be left standing with our dicks in our hand.  Evaluate some guys with size and athleticism and coach them up.  We’re going to need to hit on our evaluations.  Hell look at who Iowa State, Okie State, Ole Miss is offering and go after those guys.  

On defense, we need to keep all of our DL commits in the fold.  These guys are legit recruits and other teams are about to hover like vultures to poach them.  Need to help Bo Davis drop a bag for Tapp and tell Finkley he’s guaranteed an acceptance to the med school.  Need to keep Bryant in the fold as Ole Miss is playing well.  Keep Allen and Jordan committed.  These guys are solid prospects.  We need to find some fucking linebackers because I fully expect DMO to declare for the draft.  

At this point, they need to focus all of their efforts in making sure this current class doesn’t fall apart.

You've gone mad. You want to guarantee a football recruit acceptance into medical school before he starts college. Maybe you need to take a break.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Lets see what happens

I want PK gone, but if we are keeping him we have to pay whatever it takes to get Lake. He would help tie the backend of our defense together with the front seven, knows the system and is willing to spit fire or slap a kid around if needed. We need some tough coaches to counter Sark and PK’s laid back attitudes. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Sark and company need to be smart enough to read the room right now.  I would not be stupid like Herman and put all your eggs in landing Banks, Dewberry, Perkins, Harris, Stewart, or Campbell.  It is likely we miss on all of them than us winning any of these recruitments right now.  They need to start building good relationships with our plan Bs so we don’t end up with a 2nd transition class.

This.  I don't follow recruiting nearly as close as you all do but this staff better have kept options B and C warm whoever they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting