Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Mike Roach: Parents of commits still confident in Sarkisian's vision

Steve Sarkisian is undergoing a rough month in his first year as the head coach at Texas. With five straight losses on his record and the possibility of not making a bowl staring him in the face, the Texas enemies, of which there are many, are lining up to sharpen their knives to attack the ailing program. Sarkisian was hired to change the trajectory of a program that has been wandering in the desert, and he hopes to do that with the help of the 2022 class.

Sark and his staff have been able to build a strong foundation of the class, and despite the struggles, the class is solid. Horns247 spoke with several parents to get their view on the class and the promise of this staff moving forward. Bonnie Thompson, the mother of Texas wide receiver Brenen Thompson feels that stability is needed most right now.

“Stable and legacy programs require consistency and longevity from a person in authority,” Thompson said. “If a team is constantly changing that position, how does the program show the school, fans, athletes, students, and community stability? It doesn’t. It shows lack of trust in a person or persons who were originally trusted which is the exact opposite of a stable program. This analysis sums up why Coach Sarkisian and his staff are the best suited to build consistency in the Texas football program. They know what it takes to build consistent and legacy programs as they have been a part of those type of programs.”

Frisco offensive lineman Cole Hutson’s father Scott has been one of the more outspoken parents in the class. He and wife Denise were sold on the future of the program when Cole made his commitment. “Cole is 100% committed to Playing football at Texas,” Hutson said.

“What they are building at UT is going to be special. The class of 2022 is just the start. Denise and I have every confidence in Coach Sark, Coach Flood, and their entire staff. Cole will be signing with Texas in December, graduating the following day and enrolling at UT in January. We can’t wait to see Cole play football at Texas. The future is going to be amazing, and we look forward to our son being just a piece in the future puzzle. Well, maybe a big piece at 6’5 315 but a great piece nonetheless.”

Justice Finkley’s mother April has taken to social media in recent weeks to voice her support for Sarkisian and the staff. Her family views change as a process that can’t be rushed. “My family understands transformational change,” Finkley said. “It’s a process that requires shifts in culture, mindset, and action steps. From our perspective, UT understands this concept. That is why they hired Coach Sark and his staff. Our son’s recruitment wasn’t based on the promise of an exceptional current season. We were made aware of the challenges and opportunities within the program as well as the plan to turn things around. The vision of Coach Sark and PK are still very much a factor in Justice’s commitment.”

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not going to fully defend the hire as was taken aback by it myself, but even now looking back I'm not sure who the better hire would have been at that time (not now). It was clear and seems more clear now there are many candidates we would like that would likely never come here.  After the Urban "no" who really was a better candidate at that time that would have probably said yes?

It really doesn't matter. None of us were consulted on that decision. Someone who makes a lot more money than probably any of us was the one who ultimately signed off on it. It was pretty obviously a mistake that will have to be corrected at a great cost. Most any old coach could have beaten Kansas with Texas' roster. 

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not going to fully defend the hire as was taken aback by it myself, but even now looking back I'm not sure who the better hire would have been at that time (not now). It was clear and seems more clear now there are many candidates we would like that would likely never come here.  After the Urban "no" who really was a better candidate at that time that would have probably said yes?

Luke Fickell was a better candidate. I'd imagine the guy who chose Sark was caught up in watching Bama offense and blinded by everything else.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I can't imagine there being more than 60,000 in the stadium for KSU. I was shocked by how full the place was for KU, so who knows. I won't be there either way.

Some people see it as a sunk cost. They'll go because "I paid for that." I see it as money down the toilet. "I paid for that?! Fuck me!"

Thankfully, I am not poor. I do not have to subject myself to being kicked in the balls just because I paid for it. I can get kicked in the balls for free, should I choose to do so, but I'll just pass.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Some people see it as a sunk cost. They'll go because "I paid for that." I see it as money down the toilet. "I paid for that?! Fuck me!"

Thankfully, I am not poor. I do not have to subject myself to being kicked in the balls just because I paid for it. I can get kicked in the balls for free, should I choose to do so, but I'll just pass.

I've tried to give away my tickets to at least a half dozen people I know, they all turned them down.

• Like 1

My biggest worry is the narrative from the mouth piece pay sites is it’s all about the portal and roster turnover. Essentially blaming the players. IT is trying to carry the PK water this morning by suggesting that we should double down on PK. All I know is the worst season since the 50’s isn’t going to get fixed by replacing the LB coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

In all of the decades of following these boards, I am not sure I have ever seen them fall intro this level of bleeding cunt mode.

In all those decades, have you ever seen us fly the plane into the mountain like this season?

I'll answer that for you. You haven't.

• Hook 'Em 3

There is lot more congeniality on this board now that it's been established beyond any reasonable doubt that our program, from top to bottom, sucks. There is no smartass claiming he is more of a visionary than others and that we just need to be "patient" or whatever. Finally, we all are rowing the boat in the same direction. Congratulations, Surly! 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

There is a lot more congeniality on this board now that it's been established beyond any reasonable doubt that our program, from top to bottom, sucks. There is not smartass claiming he is more of a visionary than others and that we just need to be "patient" or whatever. Finally, we all are rowing the boat in the same direction. Congratulations, Surly! 

RealGregGym just screwed multiple holes into your rowboat, threw the oars into the water, and dove off the prow while yelling “TrUSt tHe CoRcHEs!” before squeezing his nostrils between his thumb and forefinger. I imagine RaysBoomBoomBoom will be around in an hour or three to pick him up in his water tricycle. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The fact that the first thing you mention is firing PK sorta shows me that clearly you’re  missing the point, don’t understand what needs to be fixed or how to fix it, and probably are the kind of guy who thinks he’d wreck a chimpanzee. 

we all admire your confidence, however. 

First of all, I said and average man should wreck a wolf/dog.  I gave a bear fight about 1% chance and that was mostly because the bear might get bored or not be hungry.   Chimps I put higher than a bear, but still fairly low.  It is all motivation that moves the needle there.  (Chimps not the mans)

Second, I said reassigned, not fired.   The issues are multifaceted and would require a comprehensive strategy to build both a vertical integration within the high school ranks of the State of Texas and horizontal integration to extend that somewhat into neighboring markets.   This requires a new strategic vision for the football program and the athletic department, one that has clearly defined SMART goals for all within the program.   PK cleaning the piss troughs is just my pettiness leaking out.  Which I have, but keep largely under constraint.    

Step 2 would be to go to ohio state and study their Athletic Department, AD, and process.  Convince them that Texas being a thorn in the side of Bama is good for tOSU.   

Edited by Nivek
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

RealGregGym just screwed multiple holes into your rowboat, threw the oars into the water, and dove off the prow while yelling “TrUSt tHe CoRcHEs!” before squeezing his nostrils between his thumb and forefinger. I imagine RaysBoomBoomBoom will be around in an hour or three to pick him up in his water tricycle. 

I have him muted ... my bad!

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

First of all, I said wreck a wolf/dog.  I gave a bear fight about 1% chance and that was mostly because the bear might get bored or not be hungry.   

Second, I said reassigned, not fired.   The issues are multifaceted and would require a comprehensive strategy to build both a vertical integration within the high school ranks of the State of Texas and horizontal integration to extend that somewhat into neighboring markets.   This requires a new strategic vision for the football program and the athletic department, one that has clearly defined SMART goals for all within the program.   PK cleaning the piss troughs is just my pettiness leaking out.  Which I have, but keep largely under constraint.    

Step 2 would be to go to ohio state and study their Athletic Department, AD, and process.  Convince them that Texas being a thorn in the side of Bama is good for tOSU.   

Negged for SMART goals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can put me in the fuck everybody and burn it down completely crowd :)

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Luke Fickell was a better candidate. I'd imagine the guy who chose Sark was caught up in watching Bama offense and blinded by everything else.

At the time there were rumors circulating that Bama wanted to see Sark eventually replace Saban or that Sark was gonna get a big job offer from an SEC team

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's bad enough that you suck as a poster but you really suck as a stalker. Either up your stalking game or go find someone else because I deserve a much better stalker than you.

• Haha 1

Just now, realgreggym said:

It's bad enough that you suck as a poster but you really suck as a stalker. Either up your stalking game or go find someone else because I deserve a much better stalker than you.

Ur gym sucks. You’re not even real. I bet your wood is soft. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I'm kind of in this camp.

Right now, nothing matters. Sark is going to get another year, and this staff is more than likely going to get another year. While we've had some awful, awful coaching, one really does have to wonder how we become the graveyard for coaches and for players. I don't think there's a single program in America which hires more up and coming or top of the mountain coaches and sees them fails. The laundry list is long at nearly every single position.

As for recruiting, what's the point? It's clear that we are not going to get the 5-Star players that actually make a difference as seen by our recruiting, and the players we do get are incredibly disappointing. At this point, who gives a shit if it is a 4 star that will inevitably peak as a freshmen or a 3 star that does an okay to below average job for us. 

College football is a sport that takes time to change, even with the changes to the portal. Right now, we are in for the ride for a few more years. Might as well save the buyout money and see if these coaches can actually do something as it would be a waste to fire PK, hire someone else installing a new scheme for god knows how many consecutive years, only to fire him next year when the staff inevitably leaves. 

This really is the lowest point of Texas football I've lived through. I honestly would welcome a death penalty for a few years than the laughing stock performances we get week in and week out. 

The one guy Sark got to recruit for his offense just happens to be one of the best WR's we've ever had and the 2nd best player on the team, so maybe stop being such a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Watching the first halves of the OU and OSU games, I didn't get the sense that the players weren't bought in. It seems like we have a bunch of mentally weak dudes who folded at the first sign of adversity and don't know how to recover. If we were able to pull out a win over OU, I think the season would have turned out completely different. Perhaps a fresh start next year would do the trick. A lot of our woes are mental.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Watching the first halves of the OU and OSU games, I didn't get the sense that the players weren't bought in. It seems like we have a bunch of mentally weak dudes who folded at the first sign of adversity and don't know how to recover. If we were able to pull out a win over OU, I think the season would have turned out completely different. Perhaps a fresh start next year would do the trick. A lot of our woes are mental.

I believe the proper term is front running bitches

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont disagree, but it's funny you mention that and word it that way. Funny because I remember CTJ saying years ago when Herman got here that he needed to do the same thing with Shaka Smart. Some things never change...

If CTJ actually said that, I may have to seriously reevaluate my CTJ profile.  

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

My biggest worry is the narrative from the mouth piece pay sites is it’s all about the portal and roster turnover. Essentially blaming the players. IT is trying to carry the PK water this morning by suggesting that we should double down on PK. All I know is the worst season since the 50’s isn’t going to get fixed by replacing the LB coach. 

We are starting a walk on and a converted safety who has trouble staying on the field from injuries. We had zero OLBs on the roster when Sarkisian got here. David Gbenda somehow has not been able to unseat a walk on. Based on that information alone our expectations of our defense show have been greatly reduced. Our defensive line has been very disappointing this year, but nobody is blaming Bo Davis for that. It is a weird situation. Outside of this year, PK has been a star for the last decade. He didn't just suddenly start sucking. I truly do believe this is primarily a player issue, alhtough Alfred Collins not starting until late was puzzling. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Like anyone else with a brain, I'm all for adding elite talent every season. But if we fielded a team of run-through-a-wall 3-stars, they'd almost certainly outperform the comedy troupe we're now fielding on OL and nearly everywhere on defense. I don't know what sort of leadership we have on staff, but it's easy to tell there's little to none of it on the field. 

Character doesn't register as part of a SPARQ score. But we'd better start finding a way to identify and sign decent prospects who have it. That's probably the surest way to eventually flush the lines on this "culture" we've created, no matter who's most to blame for it. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Fickell would’ve been a better choice but LOL at what this boards reaction would have been at the time

I don't know if it would have been much different. Some of us would have hated the hire, including me, and then a bunch of people would have talked themselves immediately into loving it. We have no idea who would have been right, and I hope in an alternate universe somewhere right now that those who supported the Fickell hire are being rewarded by a strong 8-1 kind of season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Dumpster Fire Notes 2022 - Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani?
13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s not all the players fault but this team is really bad and has absolutely no leadership hence the close loses and more recent nosedive.  This team last year without Ehlinger and Ossi would have been just as bad.  The problem is that the players that have real talent are soft and don’t have any intestinal fortitude.   At least there are players like RoJo and X who can help lead on the offensive side but there is absolutely no player leadership on the defensive side.  Finkley day one will be a huge upgrade in leadership on that side of the ball.  This year means nothing.  I’m more interested in how the roster is cleansed over the offseason.  That is what will make or break Sark.  I know y’all hate Sark for loosing year one with Herman’s shitty recruits but if he can bring in a good QB and can overhaul the oline and deline (not easy I know) he will just need a half decent performance from the defensive side of the ball and those close loses turn into wins.  It’s pretty obvious that Sark is taking the burn it down and try to rebuild from scratch approach.  This off-season will be very interesting.  If nothing else through this shitty year Sark knows who the fighters are and the rest can go fuck themselves.  I’m looking at you Foster.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, stork642 said:

It’s not all the players fault but this team is really bad and has absolutely no leadership hence the close loses and more recent nosedive.  This team last year without Ehlinger and Ossi would have been just as bad.  The problem is that the players that have real talent are soft and don’t have any intestinal fortitude.   At least there are players like RoJo and X who can help lead on the offensive side but there is absolutely no player leadership on the defensive side.  Finkley day one will be a huge upgrade in leadership on that side of the ball.  This year means nothing.  I’m more interested in how the roster is cleansed over the offseason.  That is what will make or break Sark.  I know y’all hate Sark for loosing year one with Herman’s shitty recruits but if he can bring in a good QB and can overhaul the oline and deline (not easy I know) he will just need a half decent performance from the defensive side of the ball and those close loses turn into wins.  It’s pretty obvious that Sark is taking the burn it down and try to rebuild from scratch approach.  This off-season will be very interesting.  If nothing else through this shitty year Sark knows who the fighters are and the rest can go fuck themselves.  I’m looking at you Foster.  

To me he's got 2 games to do whatever he wants as it can't get any lower and we're likely not going to win them anyway.  You really want to bench some guys who aren't giving effort, now is the chance. For the SR's that fall into that category, could care less, for the JRs... let'em know are you in or out, show me.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Again, not defending the hire as much as trying to set the bar for the realistic alternatives. I think a lot of your options were not realistic.

IMO guys who would never come as either like where they are or covet other spots:
  Brian Kelly
  Mario Cristobal
  Luke Fickell
  James Franklin
  PJ Fleck
  Matt Campbell
  Kyle Whittingham - record since 2011 was "ok" and less than comforting, think he would say no anyways

Don't think ever would really be considered then by Texas:
  Jeff Traylor - no HC experience and Texas hiring him? (would have liked, but never going to happen without prior HC experience)
  Mark Stoops - we complain about Sarks HC record and then he's an option, record was below .500 at time on 5-6 season?

Realistic alternatives at the time:
  Bryan Harsin - solid
  Mike Gundy - would he leave? maybe
  Chris Klieman - 12-11 record as HC in power conference and just went 4-6 and Texas would do that??
  Sonny Dykes - solid
  Billy Napier - would love, feel like he's eying other options he knows will open at the time, a maybe
  Josh Heupel - solid
  John Mackovic
  Alf - out of this world option, but too old, kids today wouldn't relate

Any NFL head coach or former head coach except Jeff Fisher or Lovie Smith
  Any NFL coordinator with a better record than Sark in the NFL (which is most of them)

We obviously took the Saban tree route like many other successful programs hoping it would pan out for us too. Only explanation I can come up with.

I wouldn't touch this job with a 10 ft. pole.  And, its Mr. Shumway to you. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

this weekend was parents weekend  so there were more folks than normal going to a game they would not normally attend.  KSU will be empty.

but hey the parents were treated to an exciting game!  hope the kids had fun!

56 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Sarks telling PK he’s on his last days 

coach speak but damn if Sark isn't a 1st team AA coachspeak dude.   strategically you don't pull this particular coach speak card until the end.  if you do it after Ark/OU flailing and nothing gets better(or gets worse) you can't claim later that you should have done it earlier and won't make that mistake again.  have to hand it to him there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting