Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

had to put this is here:

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-football-Kirk-Herbstreit-opens-up-on-Steve-Sarkisian-175436914/

Charlie Strong told me, when he was the head coach at Texas, he wasn't fired yet,” Herbstreit said. “He just got there, was getting a lot of heat. He said, 'this is a tough job because on one hand, they want me to recruit a lot of these five-stars in this state, but I don't think they're great players. But there's such immense pressure to recruit this player out of this area or this player because they're five stars. And if you don't recruit those players, they're going to crush you because you didn't land that recruit. And if you do bring them in, you're deep down I don't know if this guy is a dog.' ... Sark knew this before he went. In fact, he and I had a conversation when his name was in there. I called him and I said, 'are you going to take this?' He said, 'yeah I think I'm gonna.' And I said, 'you know the deal there right.' He goes 'oh yeah, before I even commit, I'm going to talk to them about how I’m going to have to do this. It’s going to be really hard to do this the right way. And as long as you’re going to support me through this, we’re going to do this. It’s not going to be pretty.

“In order to change the culture there that has been struggling since 2010, even the last couple of years with Mack (Brown). Something got into this program that’s like a virus, and it’s permeated itself for over a decade now. So to get it done right, you can’t put a Band-Aid on this problem and a Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

Did the tooth decay from that baked cake?

Since we’re going down a stats rabbit hole, some special teams stats for a bright spot. Texas is:

#1 in punt blocks

#4 in net punt yard avg

#29 in punt return avg

Monkey man is good at coaching ST

(although we’re #123 in kickoff return defense avg, excluding touchbacks)

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Since we’re going down a stats rabbit hole, some special teams stats for a bright spot. Texas is:

#1 in punt blocks

#4 in net punt yard avg

#29 in punt return avg

Monkey man is good at coaching ST

(although we’re #123 in kickoff return avg, excluding touchbacks)

#123 in kickoff return, but #1 when you exclude blocks in the back. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

dont understand the analogy. I believe Strong recruited and left 17 NFL players for Herman. Strong did a lot of bad things, but the guy evaluated and left a lot of talent. 

Yeah Strong was only good with Teddy Bridgewater as his QB.   He did leave Herman way more talent then Herman left Sark.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I think the news here is that the staff believes he’s worth recruiting hard. 

I think they’re clinging on whatever they think they can/hope get. This class ends on a really good note or a bad note with no in between 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Personally, I choose not to get buttfucked for hours (or minutes), but some people find it enjoyable. 

Did we have a choice? Somebody just tattooed "open for business" on my ass after the OU game and I have been living a nightmare ever since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

had to put this is here:

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-football-Kirk-Herbstreit-opens-up-on-Steve-Sarkisian-175436914/

Charlie Strong told me, when he was the head coach at Texas, he wasn't fired yet,” Herbstreit said. “He just got there, was getting a lot of heat. He said, 'this is a tough job because on one hand, they want me to recruit a lot of these five-stars in this state, but I don't think they're great players. But there's such immense pressure to recruit this player out of this area or this player because they're five stars. And if you don't recruit those players, they're going to crush you because you didn't land that recruit. And if you do bring them in, you're deep down I don't know if this guy is a dog.' ... Sark knew this before he went. In fact, he and I had a conversation when his name was in there. I called him and I said, 'are you going to take this?' He said, 'yeah I think I'm gonna.' And I said, 'you know the deal there right.' He goes 'oh yeah, before I even commit, I'm going to talk to them about how I’m going to have to do this. It’s going to be really hard to do this the right way. And as long as you’re going to support me through this, we’re going to do this. It’s not going to be pretty.

“In order to change the culture there that has been struggling since 2010, even the last couple of years with Mack (Brown). Something got into this program that’s like a virus, and it’s permeated itself for over a decade now. So to get it done right, you can’t put a Band-Aid on this problem and a Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

Had no idea Charlie was such a pussy

57 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

had to put this is here:

That is a fascinating comment from Strong. It really is true the pressure to land some of these guys that are highly ranked in state players and these guys are either maxed out or don't love football. We have been the Four Seasons resort for those types of players over the last 15 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's both, but I attribute both Urban and Saban when they said how S&C coach is more important than coordinators because of all the time they spend with players. They are often responsible and highly influential in developing player leadership and team chemistry during the off season. 

It's why LSU has been so physically formidable in spite of often horrid coaching, except for last year. They have great athletes, but Tommy Moffitt is probably the best S&C coach in America. I doubt he will ever leave LSU, but now would be a good time to make a play for him.  

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think they’re clinging on whatever they think they can/hope get. This class ends on a really good note or a bad note with no in between 

They're selling early playing time as hard as a staff can. Matters more to some kids than others obviously, but the staff thinks the lineman they brought this weekend were receptive to the pitch. 

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

They're selling early playing time as hard as a staff can. Matters more to some kids than others obviously, but the staff thinks the lineman they brought this weekend were receptive to the pitch. 

If I were the coaches, I would have gotten up on a whiteboard and started showing the cascading effect of the importance of the OLine on how the team has performed this season. Inability to sustain drives or protect the QB, which causes a ton of three and outs and turnovers, which causes the defense to get gassed, which causes us to lose big leads in the second half. Then I would circle the number 4 and say "This is how many more wins we would have this season if you four guys were on our roster this season."

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That is a fascinating comment from Strong. It really is true the pressure to land some of these guys that are highly ranked in state players and these guys are either maxed out or don't love football. We have been the Four Seasons resort for those types of players over the last 15 years. 

Tyler Johnson come on down

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Tyler Johnson come on down

swear we are cursed, the high OL guys we go after go elsewhere and do well.. then when we do pull in a big fish.. it's a fucking bust.  Can't imagine how it would be if Connor, Cosmi, Kertsetter weren't the surprises they ended up being.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He’s echoing a common sentiment on this board. This state produces a lot of overrated talent. We technically have a roster full of in state “blue chips”, and it’s done us no good.

Jimbo probably has the right idea going out of state as much as he does. But of course, when Charlie went out of state, TXHSFB coaches lost their shit.

What a load of shit. All those shitty five stars from Texas that ended up at Ohio State and Bama sure seemed to have the heart to play there. I guess Baron Browning and Okudah and Waddle and on and on weren't the right fits for Charlie? And fuck Herbstreit in the goat ass. The next thing he gets right about Texas will be his first. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Okudah wasn’t gonna come here, browning was overrated as a recruit, waddle probably comes if we recruit him hard and we play the game.

Some players are special in that they perform no matter what environment they are in, most aren’t.

It’s likely some combination of shitty culture and shitty coaching that fuels our bust rate.

• Hook 'Em 1

It would almost be worth the meltdown to check out the football board when LSU drops 12-13 per year to secure Lincoln Riley while we settled for Stevie Sevens for 6 million. Almost, because football board posters are basically Forrest Gump without kindness and empathy. 

The entire state of Louisiana is worth less today than it was worth when we bought it for 15 million during the Louisiana purchase. But they can get a coach. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What a load of shit. All those shitty five stars from Texas that ended up at Ohio State and Bama sure seemed to have the heart to play there. I guess Baron Browning and Okudah and Waddle and on and on weren't the right fits for Charlie? And fuck Herbstreit in the goat ass. The next thing he gets right about Texas will be his first. 

I mean, Browning was kinda overrated. But in general yeah, there are still some can’t miss guys in state, and we usually don’t land them anymore.

Apparently, there remains a strong belief that Texas will land a chunk of the top line recruits, even going 4-8. Specifically, folks seem to believe that some of the OL will "fall into our lap". I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

One other item, and I swear to God I am not trolling on this or hoping to see some peoples' heads actually explode, but there is a lot of buzz out there right now that Tom Herman has been talking shit over text to some players that he feels "betrayed by" still in the program. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently, there remains a strong belief that Texas will land a chunk of the top line recruits, even going 4-8. Specifically, folks seem to believe that some of the OL will "fall into our lap". I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

One other item, and I swear to God I am not trolling on this or hoping to see some peoples' heads actually explode, but there is a lot of buzz out there right now that Tom Herman has been talking shit over text to some players that he feels "betrayed by" still in the program. 

Nicole posted that earlier. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@closetojumping I swear that Ketch is now ripping you off, or maybe again? I don't pretend to know for sure, but I made the mistake of listening to their latest Overreaction podcast today and Ketch said "My biggest overreaction is that the 2022 Texas longhorns starting quarterback is not currently on this roster." And then spends 30 minutes bellowing out of his whale vagina about how he came up with this and even names Quinn Ewers. I call bullshit. Ketch your a fucking hack. 

Edited by Vertigo

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

@closetojumping I swear that Ketch is now ripping you off, or maybe again? I don't pretend to know for sure, but I made the mistake of listening to their latest Overreaction podcast today and Ketch said "My biggest overreaction is that the 2022 Texas longhorns starting quarterback is not currently on this roster." And then spends 30 minutes bellowing out of his whale vagina about how he came up with this and even names Quinn Ewers. I call bullshit. Ketch your a fucking hack. 

Ketch =CTJ too??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

yep.  that is a fucking load of excuse making bullshit if Charlie said that.  we don't give a fuck what stars a kid has.  Its your program, its your eval, pick who you want and coach them up.  5 stars have a significantly higher hit rate than others so the evals are more often or not correct on them.  the 3 and 4 is much murkier.  

if anything its easier to recruit the 3 and 4 star who you think is a "dog" the problem comes in when you are a shitty coach trying to coach the "dogs" you brought in.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

A player having more allegiance to Tom than Sark just kinda blows my mind. Which leads me to believe the players actually think Tom was fired cause of the Eyes stuff and have 0 motivation to play for Texas beyond just having a scholarship. No wonder our culture is so fucked.

Nuke it

Sigourney Weaver Aliens GIF

I don’t think you read that correctly. Herman is the bitch in this scenario, talking shit to our players who he feels wronged him on his way out.

• Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting