Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, irishtexan said:

Can’t go 7-5 when we’ve already lost 6 games…

Yeah, but I'm saying hypothetically. 

7-5 wasn't saving recruiting even if that's where we finished. At this point, just let the shit hit the fan and make it known to recruits that our roster is fucking awful. 

No big time recruit was going to be excited about a 7-5 finish. Selling instant playing time vs trying to hype a 7-5 finish makes much more sense to me but maybe you could have done both at 7-5. At least now it's obvious that roster turnover is coming and that recruits know playing time is up for grabs (but maybe that's burnt orange glasses). 

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That seems to be the plan, and your first full year on campus is probably the only time you can really get away with it. After that, it becomes “well why is there so much playing time available on a team you’ve put together?”  Still, if you’re one of those o-lineman who were on campus last weekend it’s hard to see yourself starting next year at any of the other big time programs recruiting you. Hope we can leverage some youthful impatience. 

He might get a mulligan in year two as well “hard to integrate 33 new guys next year is the year”

32 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:
  Hide contents

My person--insider has said or suggested that Herman has been in contact with current and former players about coming to the Bears. 

Fuck. thats all I will say. 

Your insider sounds like a moron who doesn't understand that the Bears aren't a college team

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Your insider sounds like a moron who doesn't understand that the Bears aren't a college team

It’s literally the silliest thing I’ve read in this awful thread.  Herman is trying to steal Texas players for the Chicago bears?   Why would they want any of our seniors or juniors

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

S&C is also mental. . . Y’all do know that right?? A good S&C staff can build a mentally/physically tough team

when you get tired and ready to give up on the last few sprints or last set of squats/bench and the coach pushes you to do more out of your comfort zone. That’s when you start to win the 4th quarter. 

That is all well and good but if the players don't buy into the coaching staff it doesn't make two shits who the S&C guy is.....more less players who didn't get recruited by this staff to play under this staff. I agree mental toughness is part of S&C but it doesn't make players want to stay here or want to play for this staff.

29 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Who is going to leave early that the Bears would draft? Worthy, Collins, and Bijan are the only sure NFL players we have on the roster and all three are too young to be drafted. Is he going to convince BJ Foster to declare? Overshown and Jamison are probably gone anyway. 

WeAreLaughing.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You started the day with an unprompted and frankly incomprehensible David Ash rant, swerved to telling people to stop tweeting recruiters and then dove right in to some Tom Herman fanfic about him recruiting players for the Chicago Bears

Hawt. How was your day?

Nahlin in the Herbstreit thread:

Thanks to @gohorns8 for the transcription of Kirk Herbstreit on a recent podcast in which he discusses what’s ailing UT.

I was having a tangential conversation to these topics the other day with the same source who was highlighting Pete Kwiatkowski’s big picture issues this season.

From Herbstreit:

“Charlie Strong told me, when he was the head coach at Texas, he wasn't fired yet,” Herbstreit said. “He just got there, was getting a lot of heat. He said, 'this is a tough job because on one hand, they want me to recruit a lot of these five-stars in this state, but I don't think they're great players. But there's such immense pressure to recruit this player out of this area or this player because they're five stars. And if you don't recruit those players, they're going to crush you because you didn't land that recruit. And if you do bring them in, you're deep down I don't know if this guy is a dog.'

Re: Charlie Strong’s recruiting instate five-stars. Strong’s first class was the 2015 cycle in which he faired well instate, but not with five-stars. That class featured six five-star players, of which Texas only landed one. There were some big misses here, not just by Texas, but the networks.

1. LB Malik Jefferson: Maybe not a dog, but dog enough for the college game. One of his best games as a Horn was his very first game. That doesn’t speak well to development.

2. DL Daylon Mack: Great talent, not a hard worker. Texas almost flipped him late.

3. CB Kendall Sheffield: Great athletic talent, more of a track guy. Texas wasn’t really in it.

4. RB Soso Jamabo: Had bust written all over him due to mentals. However, Strong pursued hard late knowing full well Jamabo was very unlikely to maximize.

5. QB Kyler Murray: As you’ll recall, Texas pursued late and with good reason.

6. OL Maea Teuhema: One-time Texas commit but flipped to LSU. Shouldn’t have been a five-star.

Others:

8. RB Ronald Jones: Terrible evaluation and decision by the staff to go through the motions on this recruitment. Strong wanted a big, physical back, which he got.

11. CB Holton Hill: Dog, great prospect, not the best football character.

12: LB Anthony Wheeler: Dog, but overrated. Didn’t move great.

13: RB Chris Warren: The big back Strong prioritized.

14. CB Kris Boyd: Dog, great prospect, not the best football IQ, though. He’s an NFL player, though.

25: DB Deshon Elliott: Dog, underrated prospect, didn’t blossom until Strong left. That was a pretty common theme.

Strong definitely believed, in general, Texas prospects lacked toughness. This is why he went so hard after players in Florida. He even told prospects in Florida why he was recruiting them.

He also couldn’t believe the lack of institutional buy-in when it came to acquiring the top talent in the country. I think not being able to bring Clint Hurtt was an eye-opener for him

While there is some pressure to win high profile homegrown recruitments — they’re powered by the same spirt that drives rivalries — it didn’t preclude him from landing his preferred guys from out-of-state. Even if he got every five-star in Texas, he’d still have plenty of room to go get the “good players.” Nobody was stopping him from recruiting his types of players.

Here’s a microcosm of Charlie’s problem: He signed 9 players from out-of-state in 2015. Two (Gilbert Johnson and Devonaire Clarington) didn’t even make it to campus. Three completed their time at Texas: John Burt, Davante Davis, and Kirk Johnson.

One of Strong’s prized dogs, Cecil Cherry, couldn’t make it though a week of practice. #LEEEGGGGGOOOOO

Sorry Charlie, player talent wasn’t your problem at Texas.

... Sark knew this before he went. In fact, he and I had a conversation when his name was in there. I called him and I said, 'are you going to take this?' He said, 'yeah I think I'm gonna.' And I said, 'you know the deal there right.' He goes 'oh yeah, before I even commit, I'm going to talk to them about how I’m going to have to do this. It’s going to be really hard to do this the right way. And as long as you’re going to support me through this, we’re going to do this. It’s not going to be pretty.”

The part where Herbstreit switches course to Sark is a bit vague, but what we do know before Sark was hired is he was told the Texas brass would support him in every way he needed. As Sark would say, ”that was the key to the drill.”

Sark has hit the west coast pretty hard in recruiting. Are those players known for being dogs? No, not really. Where he and his staff have done well, is recognizing the need to go to the southeast to find defensive linemen. Strong tried that too. It didn’t work out all that well, save Malcolm Roach.

As for the final sentence in that paragraph: “It’s not going to be pretty.”

In no way did Sarkisian think his team would struggle this much. That’s some serious narrative retrofitting. He wouldn’t have taken the job had he thought it would be this difficult. For a fact I know he thought the team would be better, but your tell is he didn’t reduce expectations in August press availabilities. Quite the opposite, he elevated them. Pete Kwiatkowski did too.

Sark thought this would be the first half team we saw so often this year. It almost was, and then it was nowhere close. Now the 2021 team is every bit a part of the problem Herbstreit discusses next.

“In order to change the culture there that has been struggling since 2010, even the last couple of years with Mack (Brown). Something got into this program that’s like a virus, and it’s permeated itself for over a decade now. So to get it done right, you can’t put a Band-Aid on this problem and a Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

It’s pretty obvious what that ‘something’ is that got into the program. Losing is the virus Herbstreit’s alluding to, even if he mistakenly thinks meddlesome donors are the culprit.

The losing is multifactorial and I don’t think we need to get into it. Short refresher: Late Stage Mack, terrible process to replace him, terrible process to hire a new AD which ultimately led to Greg Fenves running a hiring process (I think he did well given the circumstances), etc. Bad processes yield bad results.

The key issue facing Sarkisian is overcoming a losing culture. This program hasn’t won enough to have winning players to teach incoming players how to do what it takes to win. But, Texas doesn’t need a Roy Hobbs to turn things around. It would certainly help, as we saw the last time Texas had a Roy Hobbs. Football isn’t baseball. There are so many components to building a strong football program that if you just improve each one incrementally it will lift the whole.

Sarkisian has the gas pedal to make improvements across the board, including the biggest factor of them all — talent acquisition. By his own admission, there will be 33 new players in the program by next June.

Hopefully he signs some dogs. Those who aren’t will have to be trained, assuming culture allows for it.

Interesting bolded portions.

image.thumb.png.988db535311de1d6646cbf9620360be2.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

WeAreLaughing.gif

I named Overshown and Jamison, not because I think they should leave and they’ll be 1st or 2nd day picks. They just strike me as guys with some athletic ability who would be better served by sticking around another year, and yet will probably get some bad advice (maybe from a former head coach who recruited them) and declare, only to get drafted late on the 3rd day or not at all. 

God I wish we had meddlesome donors! I legitimately am dying to get as many meddlesome donors as possible, it is literally the biggest current need at UT during the NIL era. If you know of or personally are a meddlesome donor who is looking for an Avenue to meddle to your hearts desire, please hit my DMs. I have about 1000 different ways that you can legally meddle 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My person--insider has said or suggested that Herman has been in contact with current and former players about coming to the Bears. 

Fuck. thats all I will say. 

I'm having a hard time understanding how any of this makes sense. Tom Herman is trying to recruit current Texas Longhorn football players to play for the Chicago Bears? 

Vp Biden GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Explain This To Me Like I Am Five GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm having a hard time understanding how any of this makes sense. Tom Herman is trying to recruit current Texas Longhorn football players to play for the Chicago Bears? 

Vp Biden GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Explain This To Me Like I Am Five GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Get them to leave early I guess.  Maybe he works for Sark and is a double agent working to churn the roster.

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Get them to leave early I guess.  Maybe he works for Sark and is a double agent working to churn the roster.

I guess maybe. But why would any NFL team in its right mind want any current Texas Longhorns football players sans the 3-4 notable exceptions? Also, if a player is good enough to be drafted, shouldn't that player be telling their agent to steer him clear of the clusterfuck that is the Chicago Bears?

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I guess maybe. But why would any NFL team in its right mind want any current Texas Longhorns football players sans the 3-4 notable exceptions? Also, if a player is good enough to be drafted, shouldn't that player be telling their agent to steer him clear of the clusterfuck that is the Chicago Bears?

Kids are stupid.  Jimbo out front shoulda told ya.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

OMG! Here comes the obligatory "she's a female post" Fuck off. go and fuck off @Bama Chick who suggests I photoshop myself!~ I hope she is happy with her stunning bullshit.  Fuck all y'all haters. Seriously, the last time y'all saw any pussy was a stray cat. Take your squish and your mittens and jerk off to Tron. Fuck. 

Season 1 Showtime GIF by Shameless

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

OMG! Here comes the obligatory "she's a female post" Fuck off. go and fuck off @Bama Chick who suggests I photoshop myself!~ I hope she is happy with her stunning bullshit.  Fuck all y'all haters. Seriously, the last time y'all saw any pussy was a stray cat. Take your squish and your mittens and jerk off to Tron. Fuck. 

“she’s a female post” so just ignore it. 

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s funny because you should be in the kitchen making a sandwich. 

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

While that’s generally good advice, I’ve tweeted at two recruits: Bijan and Worthy. That’s worked out well. Gonna go fire off a bunch to Arch this evening after I get a few more drinks in me

I am not sure a tribute pic is really what Manning is going for.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting