Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I must have missed the insider info on UT side for being so optimistic about Kelvin Banks. Looking at his 247 page and his recruiting history, looks like he was committed to oSu back when Josh Henson was still the OL coach there? And Henson is still recruiting him, but now to A&M. Either he likes small college town feel or he likes Henson as a coach or both. Perhaps he has changed his mind and is beginning to like big city/bright lights vibe of Austin more? Aggie side seems to have liked their chances of landing Banks, but that was months ago, so maybe the ground has indeed shifted in this recruitment.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, PHLaggie said:

I must have missed the insider info on UT side for being so optimistic about Kelvin Banks. Looking at his 247 page and his recruiting history, looks like he was committed to oSu back when Josh Henson was still the OL coach there? And Henson is still recruiting him, but now to A&M. Either he likes small college town feel or he likes Henson as a coach or both. Perhaps he has changed his mind and is beginning to like big city/bright lights vibe of Austin more? Aggie side seems to have liked their chances of landing Banks, but that was months ago, so maybe the ground has indeed shifted in this recruitment.

he committed way way way way way way way too early and nobody thought that commit would stick (and it didn't)

"small town college feel" - BCS metro area is over 273,000 people. so take that weak shit literally somewhere else. the fucking guy lives in Harris County, not Red River County.

4 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

He's been considered pretty likely to be in the UT class for months.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

The old "small town feel" trope gets thrown out by aggies whenever they need it to suit their narrative about a given player's potential reason for choosing them, whether that has any bearing in reality for the area or the recruit or not.

Harold Perkins is a big city baller. He likes the bright lights and choices of activities a big city provides. I still expect him to sign with ATM or some other backwater SEC town like Baton Rouge. Likewise, wherever Banks goes, it's not going to be because he's really craving watching corn pop up in rows while he rocks in a chair on the porch to the melodic sounds of forest birds, miles away from any audible car traffic or streetlights. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Aggie side seems to have liked their chances of landing Banks, but that was months ago, so maybe the ground has indeed shifted in this recruitment.

Perroni's entire confidence level came from talking with Banks at that small Houston OL/DL camp once. From that point forward he considered everything in that conversation gospel and has touted time and again that he is the closest to this recruitment, all the while ignoring everything that has happened since.

FWIW, Banks committed to OkState in September of 2019 and was recruited by Dickey. Henson was hired by aggy in February of 2019. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The old "small town feel" trope gets thrown out by aggies whenever they need it to suit their narrative about a given player's potential reason for choosing them, whether that has any bearing in reality for the area or the recruit or not.

Harold Perkins is a big city baller. He likes the bright lights and choices of activities a big city provides. I still expect him to sign with ATM or some other backwater SEC town like Baton Rouge. Likewise, wherever Banks goes, it's not going to be because he's really craving watching corn pop up in rows while he rocks in a chair on the porch to the melodic sounds of forest birds, miles away from any audible car traffic or streetlights. 

well, except that different players prioritize different things when choosing where to attend college. Some want a city or small town or college town or whatever. Others want a connection with their position coach, and still others probably want other things. There's no one size fits all. All I surmised was that Banks was ready to go even to Stillwater, so what's to say he is not likely to end up in B/CS, especially if he also has a connect with the position coach.

Perkins may or may not even up at A&M...right now if I had to guess, just going by A&M's recent bad luck at linebacker, he likely doesn't end up in B/CS. But it would be for whatever reasons that Perkins prioritizes in his decisionmaking of where to attend college...and those decisions are completely separate and non-dependent on how Banks makes his choice.

• Fuck You 1

well, except that different players prioritize different things when choosing where to attend college. Some want a city or small town or college town or whatever. Others want a connection with their position coach, and still others probably want other things. There's no one size fits all. All I surmised was that Banks was ready to go even to Stillwater, so what's to say he is not likely to end up in B/CS, especially if he also has a connect with the position coach.

Perkins may or may not even up at A&M...right now if I had to guess, just going by A&M's recent bad luck at linebacker, he likely doesn't end up in B/CS. But it would be for whatever reasons that Perkins prioritizes in his decisionmaking of where to attend college...and those decisions are completely separate and non-dependent on how Banks makes his choice.

I think we found the account Mike Roach posts under, guys. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Perroni's entire confidence level came from talking with Banks at that small Houston OL/DL camp once. From that point forward he considered everything in that conversation gospel and has touted time and again that he is the closest to this recruitment, all the while ignoring everything that has happened since.

FWIW, Banks committed to OkState in September of 2019 and was recruited by Dickey. Henson was hired by aggy in February of 2019. 

And Perroni put in the crystal ball pick just a few days after he decommitted from OK State.

Do you really think this post added anything to this board in any meaningful way? If you want to post remedial and banal recruiting platitudes, you know exactly where to go and you know it isn't here, so don't waste our fucking time.

As to the point of your post beyond the clear need to be pedantic, you don't get to move the goalposts. You created an either/or/both scenario with how Banks was thinking about his recruitment - either it was small town vs big town, or Hansen, or both. You were patently and laughably wrong about Hansen and your geographical premise isn't a driving factor in the recruitment either.

Do us both a favor and stop while you're behind - I'm sure we both have other shit to do, and you're not dynamic enough here for me to be interested in further depantsing you to the audience.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Could the stuff about to happen at ASU have an impact on this guy?  Seemed well may have been #2 for him.

https://247sports.com/player/larry-turner-gooden-46056208/

Give me the Hyphen, all day long. Let's ask around and see shit changes. I've always heard the ASU choice wasn't going to stick anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Give me the Hyphen, all day long. Let's ask around and see shit changes. I've always heard the ASU choice wasn't going to stick anyway. 

Yeah, him and prized cock could give us some solid out-of-state dbs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

per a guy on reddit (verified coach) the big bomb the USC dude was hinting at isn't this ASU news

and evidently that USC dude said it isn't Oregon-related either?

That's a shame - It should be Oregon-related. I guess I am okay though if it is aggy, Georgia, or Bama.

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anderson only taking a 1 day OV doesn't sound promising.  Hopefully Perroni is full of shit.

It’s because he has 7v7. He announced he was committing on July 4th months ago because he already knew where he was going. This changes nothing. Damn pussy

• Hook 'Em 1

That's a shame - It should be Oregon-related. I guess I am okay though if it is aggy, Georgia, or Bama.

It would supposedly “change the balance of power out west.”

Assuming USC reporter is not about to drop a bomb on USC, if it’s not Oregon or ASU, perhaps it’s Washington. PK did just up and leave.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What a fucking grease fire this thread is the for the last page. Just a bunch of handwringing and whining, spurred by IT $9.95ers being scared of Fisher's bag dropping and Nick Saban being a sabateur, and also golfclap's conflating of "some younger big boosters that I know" with "all of the younger boosters" in his grind against CDC. 

I think the world of Gerry and I think Nahlin is a thunderdouche and I can say that my POV on each goes beyond Internet posts. That considered, two things are very true of both of them - they both appear to work their asses off and they're both almost constantly on tilt when it comes to the notion that the bad men are at the door and those bad men are there for our UT souls. 

ATM is overtly and outlandishly paying players. Some of their fucking loudmouths, O'Neal specifically, are serving as hypemen while trolling around that podunk shithole in tricked out Bentleys and the like. That, no doubt, would be worth the trip just to see for recruits. Fisher and Craig and their crew openly talking about how money is no obstacle for their program with the parents is also real and worth noting. 

But what's really changed? They bought Richardson, Leal, Demas, Williams, Green and the like. We watched it happen. They're being more aggressive now with families and recruits who aren't showing up wanting or expecting bags to be dropped. They'll land the Bear Alexander types anyway. No one has any clue how effective trying to buy someone who didn't realize they could be bought is going to be, but it's not a concept being introduced by someone who is tactful or suave about the delivery or in the way it will make those recruits and parents feel. 

I stand by my prior and repeated take - Texas will land Denver Harris, Bryce Anderson and Kelvin Banks. Brooks? I've always thought we had a great shot but he's also never been a guy to bet the house on, so maybe he winds up at Bama. In any event, I expect Texas to land a top 10 class and if they win, a top 5 class. ATM? They'll get the guys that will surprise no one and then Haynes King will lead them against a weak schedule to 9-4 on the season and not much will change. Same old ATM, throwing money at problems that don't need money to cure them. 

Thank you CTJ for dropping bags!

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

ATM is overtly and outlandishly paying players. Some of their fucking loudmouths, O'Neal specifically, are serving as hypemen while trolling around that podunk shithole in tricked out Bentleys and the like. That, no doubt, would be worth the trip just to see for recruits. Fisher and Craig and their crew openly talking about how money is no obstacle for their program with the parents is also real and worth noting. 

But what's really changed? They bought Richardson, Leal, Demas, Williams, Green and the like. We watched it happen. They're being more aggressive now with families and recruits who aren't showing up wanting or expecting bags to be dropped. They'll land the Bear Alexander types anyway. No one has any clue how effective trying to buy someone who didn't realize they could be bought is going to be, but it's not a concept being introduced by someone who is tactful or suave about the delivery or in the way it will make those recruits and parents feel. 

I stand by my prior and repeated take - Texas will land Denver Harris, Bryce Anderson and Kelvin Banks. Brooks? I've always thought we had a great shot but he's also never been a guy to bet the house on, so maybe he winds up at Bama. In any event, I expect Texas to land a top 10 class and if they win, a top 5 class. ATM? They'll get the guys that will surprise no one and then Haynes King will lead them against a weak schedule to 9-4 on the season and not much will change. Same old ATM, throwing money at problems that don't need money to cure them. 

Agreed. My frustration has always been the fact that Texas feels to superior to play recruiting games to the level of the SEC (don't get me wrong, they still play games. everyone does). Why the fuck not? What's going to happen? Mizzou gets another bowl ban?

If everyone else around you is doing this shit level the playing field. In fact, take it to the level of Georgia, Clemson, and Oregon.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 7

32 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

It’s because he has 7v7. He announced he was committing on July 4th months ago because he already knew where he was going. This changes nothing. Damn pussy

Good call. Recruits never set a commitment date without having everything already figured out.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting