Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What a fucking grease fire this thread is the for the last page. Just a bunch of handwringing and whining, spurred by IT $9.95ers being scared of Fisher's bag dropping and Nick Saban being a sabateur, and also golfclap's conflating of "some younger big boosters that I know" with "all of the younger boosters" in his grind against CDC. 

I think the world of Gerry and I think Nahlin is a thunderdouche and I can say that my POV on each goes beyond Internet posts. That considered, two things are very true of both of them - they both appear to work their asses off and they're both almost constantly on tilt when it comes to the notion that the bad men are at the door and those bad men are there for our UT souls. 

ATM is overtly and outlandishly paying players. Some of their fucking loudmouths, O'Neal specifically, are serving as hypemen while trolling around that podunk shithole in tricked out Bentleys and the like. That, no doubt, would be worth the trip just to see for recruits. Fisher and Craig and their crew openly talking about how money is no obstacle for their program with the parents is also real and worth noting. 

But what's really changed? They bought Richardson, Leal, Demas, Williams, Green and the like. We watched it happen. They're being more aggressive now with families and recruits who aren't showing up wanting or expecting bags to be dropped. They'll land the Bear Alexander types anyway. No one has any clue how effective trying to buy someone who didn't realize they could be bought is going to be, but it's not a concept being introduced by someone who is tactful or suave about the delivery or in the way it will make those recruits and parents feel. 

I stand by my prior and repeated take - Texas will land Denver Harris, Bryce Anderson and Kelvin Banks. Brooks? I've always thought we had a great shot but he's also never been a guy to bet the house on, so maybe he winds up at Bama. In any event, I expect Texas to land a top 10 class and if they win, a top 5 class. ATM? They'll get the guys that will surprise no one and then Haynes King will lead them against a weak schedule to 9-4 on the season and not much will change. Same old ATM, throwing money at problems that don't need money to cure them. 

Golfclap's obsession with CDC has been weird for some time now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

I must have missed the insider info on UT side for being so optimistic about Kelvin Banks. Looking at his 247 page and his recruiting history, looks like he was committed to oSu back when Josh Henson was still the OL coach there? And Henson is still recruiting him, but now to A&M. Either he likes small college town feel or he likes Henson as a coach or both. Perhaps he has changed his mind and is beginning to like big city/bright lights vibe of Austin more? Aggie side seems to have liked their chances of landing Banks, but that was months ago, so maybe the ground has indeed shifted in this recruitment.

College Station is a small town like Katy is a small town. There's a tiny part of it that's historic surrounded by strip malls and master planned communities. Most moved from the Dixie Chicken to the bar at Cheddar's without missing a beat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

per a guy on reddit (verified coach) the big bomb the USC dude was hinting at isn't this ASU news

and evidently that USC dude said it isn't Oregon-related either?

My guess is that it's going to be an expose that shows that 7v7 is corrupt and that *gasp* coaches and trainers are taking cash and jobs to funnel recruits to certain schools, etc...  

SHOCK THE NATION

(CJ Vogel) Newton HC Drew Johnston Talks 2022 RB Target DeAnthony Gatson

Spoiler

Texas is still in the market for a second running back this cycle and hosted 2022 Newton RB DeAnthony Gatson on the first weekend of June for an official visit. I was able to connect with Newton Head Coach Drew Johnston to discuss just what Gatson brings to the table.

Gatson first arrived at Newton as an eighth grader and Coach Johnston said he could tell “right off the bat” that he was going to be a special player. Over the last couple of years, Johnston says Gatson has really matured and grown into a leadership role for the Eagles.

“First time we saw him run in a game, I was like, ‘Alright, this guy can run,'” said Johnston. “We could tell he was going to be a running back, it didn’t take long.”

Johnston added that during Newton’s 2018 run that resulted in a State Championship victory, Gatson opened eyes as a true freshman scoring multiple touchdowns for the varsity team against Daingerfield in the playoffs.

On the Texas front, the staff offered on May 11 and soon after, Gatson included the Longhorns in his top 5 on May 20. According to Johnston, the staff had been in contact with Gatson for a couple weeks leading up to the offer. The inclusion of Texas right away in the top five tells me there is significant interest from the Newton Eagle.

As for who else might be in the running, Johnston tells me Colorado has been a school after Gatson from the very beginning. The Buffaloes will receive a visit later in June. Another Pac-12 school to watch out for is USC who is set to host him to a visit this upcoming weekend as well.

Unfortunately, I was unable to see Gatson in-person who was already home on the last day of the school. With that said, I was unable to get a true indication of what his timeline looks like or when he plans to narrow things down.

I got the sense that Colorado is going to be a big player in this recruitment. Texas hosted him to the first official visit is going to help their case, however the Buffaloes have been in the fold for quite some time now and might hold an early edge just off my gut feeling. With that said, I still hope to connect with Gatson in the near future to hear his side of the visit and see how things are shaping up.

There is some momentum on the USC side of things as well. This may be a case where Texas waits a little longer to evaluate other targets. At the moment, I am unsure of where Gatson will be committing to on his scheduled June 22 commitment day, I am leaning towards Texas not being the destination for now. I’ll provide an update when I have more.

39 minutes ago, golfclap said:

My guess is that it's going to be an expose that shows that 7v7 is corrupt and that *gasp* coaches and trainers are taking cash and jobs to funnel recruits to certain schools, etc...  

SHOCK THE NATION

didn't this already get exposed with TN?  They were paying coaches of 7 on 7 teams to come through

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Allegedly it would "change the balance of power out west", so it would have to be USC or Oregon. Not another school that moves the needle in terms of power out west.

Washington has won 2 of the last 5 conference titles and should have represented the north last season instead of Oregon. That would be the only other school to fit the profile. I hope PK got out before the violations if it was Washington

8 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"Allegedly it would "change the balance of power out west", so it would have to be USC or Oregon. Not another school that moves the needle in terms of power out west."

Drop the hammer on the Colorado School of Mines?

I'm hoping for Stanford since it's somehow not the SEC.

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Washington has won 2 of the last 5 conference titles and should have represented the north last season instead of Oregon. That would be the only other school to fit the profile. I hope PK got out before the violations if it was Washington

Washington hasn't recruited well enough to have been significantly cheating though. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You still have to recruit within the rules, even if you are recruiting shitty players. 

That's true and I guess it would be very NCAA to drop the hammer on Washington for some kind of administrative fuckups and didn't help them scrape together their barely top 20 classes while whistling past the open auctions going on in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I also don't know how, in the day of iphones and social media, schools can host kids at ranches, throw around illegal benefits, etc, and never get busted. Do you think Jimbo has a cell phone basket at the front door of his ranch house??

Lol. Who do you think is turning them in to the ncaa, exactly? The parents being woo’d? Without a whistleblowing parent or coach with a smoking gun video and while the NCAA lacks subpoena power its about as close to impossible to bust someone as it is for MaybeACoordinator to say something mean about Charlie Strong. 

22 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I also don't know how, in the day of iphones and social media, schools can host kids at ranches, throw around illegal benefits, etc, and never get busted. Do you think Jimbo has a cell phone basket at the front door of his ranch house??

So, you're saying it would be super easy for the NCAA to compensate recruits to run a sting via their phone records and social media DMs?  Isn't that why there is always an uncle?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Who do you think is turning them in to the ncaa, exactly? The parents being woo’d? Without a whistleblowing parent or coach with a smoking gun video and while the NCAA lacks subpoena power its about as close to impossible to bust someone as it is for MaybeACoordinator to say something mean about Charlie Strong. 

Kids post a lot of stupid shit on social media these days. Car/cash is hard to track without a subpeona but it's surprising there aren't videos/pics floating around at Jimbo's ranch where coaches pop on the screen. Or guys like Enai White (?) flying on the Aggy private jet. Or Leon cruising around CS in a Bentley. Yes, a lot of these would require more support to be actionable but still pretty obvious red flags that should get the NCAA looking a lot closer (if they cared).

4 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Wonder if the ASU shit will cause aggy to slow their bag roll for a bit.

No

4 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

While they're on the subject, the NCAA should look into the goings on at cuck ranch last summer.  

They should be doing lots of things.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Kids post a lot of stupid shit on social media these days. Car/cash is hard to track without a subpeona but it's surprising there aren't videos/pics floating around at Jimbo's ranch where coaches pop on the screen. Or guys like Enai White (?) flying on the Aggy private jet. Or Leon cruising around CS in a Bentley. Yes, a lot of these would require more support to be actionable but still pretty obvious red flags that should get the NCAA looking a lot closer (if they cared).

Basketball player that went to Auburn and I think in the nba draft, (shariff or something or other) drove a Rolls Royce in high school. 

NCAA doesn’t do shit.

IT

Spoiler

By: Gerry and Eric

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Garland, TX)

Texas is working overtime to get one of the top wide receivers in the country to take an official visit this weekend.

The recent OU de-commit is contemplating between seeing UT or SMU this weekend.

Will Hudson decline visiting Texas with Evan Stewart, Maalik Murphy, and so many more set to make it to Austin? We’ll find out.

CB Terrance Brooks, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX)

Texas had a good conversation with the Brooks’ today. There is a lot of excitement ahead of his official visit this weekend. Strong relationships are in place, all things considered.

IT isn’t concerned here, but Brooks will take an official visit to a late but hard-charging Ohio State Buckeyes. That visit will occur immediately following the Texas visit this weekend. So he’ll be in Columbus the 21st-23rd.

The true competition for Brooks appears to be Alabama who he’ll see the 25th-27th. While we don’t know their exact situation with numbers, the Crimson Tide continue to recruit Brooks hard.

Florida did a great job with the Brooks family on their visit but we don’t feel it was enough.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX)

Fresh off their recent visits IT has reported UT is in a good spot with foffensive linemen Cole Hutson and Jacob Sexton, but IT believes Robertson is still a take for Texas.

IT also believes UT has a solid chance for the academically focused player who will take his official visit this weekend.

Robertson will visit Stanford the following weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike at Night: Texas coming up on some pivotal visits

Spoiler

— One of the least talked about visitors from last week was Kristopher Ross. The Texas commit and North Shore defensive tackle was seen all over campus in a golf cart as he made the trip unofficially before returning on an official trip this weekend. I've even been told there are some plans in the work for Ross to return next weekend. All-in-all, it seems like any worry there might have been over Ross is dissipating.

— Ross's teammate Denver Harris is slated to come in for an official visit this weekend after coming off of an LSU trip. Needless to say this is a pivotal trip for Texas. I think the Longhorns are positioned well going into this trip, but they will have to overcome the development question along with the SEC brand power. While it's not confirmed, I have heard that Harris could potentially return the next week for an unofficial trip with Ross. While there's still a lot to sort out there, that would obviously be a good sign for Texas.

— It sounds like defensive tackle target Jaray Bledsoe will re-schedule his official visit for next week. Right now it sounds like Bledsoe is trying to work out some academic issues and is focused on that more than the recruiting process. I believe Texas will stick with him and be poised to capitalize if he clears some of those issues up.

— With news today that Arizona State is facing a pretty stiff NCAA investigation, I checked with sources regarding four-star safety Larry Turner-Gooden. This is a name I heard a few weeks ago that could potentially make a visit this June. I've been checking all day and have detected a little bit of smoke there, but I haven't been able to confirm anything yet.

— Beaumont Westbrook DB Bryce Anderson will visit Texas the last weekend of the month. Anderson will play for Westbrook in the 7v7 state tournament and then head to Austin as soon as he's done. That would cut the visit shorter than normal, but he is allowed to be on campus until the night of June 27.

— The Longhorns hosted a group of Las Vegas (NV) Desert Pines stars yesterday. Four-star running back Jovantae Barnes, 2023 star wide receiver Deandre Moore, offensive lineman Eugene Brooks and defensive end Mathias Malakai-Donaldson all took in Austin. I don't see Barnes ending up at Texas right now, but the Longhorns can make an impression on Deandre Moore who is one of the top speed threats in 2023. In speaking to a coach at Desert Pines, it sounded like the trip went well. They also went to Texas A&M today.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting