2021 Texas HS football

My grandfather played for Motley Co.  Took my dad today.  Motley Co. lost their QB early and fell behind.  Dad threw a fit and left in the 2nd qtr.

Let’s have some trivia fun. My mom was one of two cheerleaders for the first ever six-man state champs. They mercy ruled every single opponent including the state title game. Who were they?
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My grandfather played for Motley Co.  Took my dad today.  Motley Co. lost their QB early and fell behind.  Dad threw a fit and left in the 2nd qtr.

I saw the Matador Matadors play the Turkey Turks in 1963....Matador had a midget playing for them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t know shit about small schools so here’s my 4A & up predictions. Take them to the bank

4A D2: China Spring over Gilmer in a close one 

4A D1: Austin LBJ over Stephenville by 2 scores

5A D2: Liberty Hill over Dallas SOC by 4 or 5 TDs

5A D1: Katy Paetow over College Station by a TD

6A D2: Westlake over Guyer by 4 trillion. Sidenote: that tiny freshman that came in vs Westlake a couple years ago when Stowers got hurt is Guyers starting QB now. Blew up with 21 offers, including Bama & ND. 

6A D1: North Shore over Duncanville by a TD

• Hook 'Em 1

Good read on Westlake from the AAS. Love this team and its coach and hope they finish the deal Saturday.

In September, Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik said he never considered skipping his senior year of high school.

He was responding to reports that fellow 2022 classmate Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers was reclassifying to the 2021 class and enrolling early at Ohio State, a move that allowed him to take advantage of a name, image and likeness (or NIL) deal worth $1.4 million. It's hard to fault a 17-year-old football player for wanting to put that kind of cash in his wallet.

Klubnik had a different view of NIL opportunities: The money could wait.

It's also hard to criticize a five-star quarterback who cherishes high school life and the riches that Friday night football delivers. Westlake is a special place. The Chaparrals have won 39 straight games, have earned consecutive Class 6A state championships, and were expected to complete the trifecta in 2021.

While Ewers, who transferred to Texas Wednesday, sat on the Buckeyes bench last season, Klubnik was having the time of his life. He already has been named the state's player of the year by Gatorade. Come Saturday night, he will take center stage when the Chaparrals play Denton Guyer for the 6A Division II state championship at AT&T Stadium.

Westlake coach Todd Dodge, who will retire after this game, said there is pressure on his players and coaches to win. No matter what happens Saturday, the Chaparrals will never forget it. Anything less than a state championship would ruin the season. If the Chaps win, it could be argued this Westlake team is the best in Central Texas history.

The Chaps have beaten their 15 opponents by an average score of 58-8. Klubnik (39 touchdowns, 2 interceptions) is a big part of Westlake's success. Defensive coordinator Tony Salazar — expected to be the team's next head coach — has molded a unit that has limited 10 of its last 12 opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

There will be plenty of emotional coaches and players on Westlake's side of the field after the championship game is settled. After a brief practice this week at Chaparral Stadium, Klubnik said he has mixed feelings about leaving Westlake and embarking on a new chapter of his life next season at Clemson.

"A part of me feels it's bittersweet, knowing that I grew up on this field," he said. "My very first football game was here. I've been a Chaparral forever. Playing my last game is kind of hard to wrap my mind around."

Dodge tells a funny story about the first time he met young Cade. He was in the fifth grade and his teacher was Elizabeth Dodge, Todd's wife. Elizabeth taught about seven kids who are currently Westlake juniors or seniors.

Elizabeth, daughter of the late Ebbie Neptune, a former Westlake coach and athletic director, apparently learned quite a bit about football from her dad and husband.

"Elizabeth is a coach's kid and she has an eye for talent and an eye for competitiveness," Dodge said. "She told me I might want to coach long enough to see these kids through. They have been a special group."

Growing up in the shadow of Chaparral Stadium, Klubnik attended Westlake summer camps and was a fixture at varsity games. His older brother Reed broke Chaparral receiving records.

Klubnik "always had a ball in his hands" during camp, Dodge recalled. It didn't take long for the coach to learn that his future quarterback had the skill, desire and poise to become someone exceptional. Klubnik has an opportunity to finish his high school career with three championship rings. Dodge can add another chapter to his legacy by winning his seventh state championship.

It's fitting Dodge and Klubnik will leave together. Dodge is looking forward to retirement after spending about 50 years in the game. Klubnik certainly has a bright future that will begin when he enrolls at Clemson in January.

Klubnik said Dodge has been "a little more juiced-up" this year, especially in the playoffs.

"Whenever we win a playoff game, he knows he gets a least one more game," he said. "It's almost like he's one of the seniors. We all get 48 more minutes."

image.thumb.png.055fc02aaa2ba82c4b90b0b3bc79d430.png

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I will say it again......Klubnik is the best high school QB in the country right now.

Wish we had recruited him.

He is a great high school qb. He won’t do anything in college though, he’ll get passed up on the depth chart, transfer, and be forgotten. He’s more Hudson card than Sam Ehlinger imo (yes I know card went to a different school). Ewers is and will be way better. 

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Class 2A-DII  doesn't believe in boring...  hellova game today.

announced attendance at game today: 5002

combined population of Falls City and Stratford: 2700

I believe this week is considered "staff development" week for high school coaches in the state 😀.  I'm a lot jealous... one of these years I need to just take off and go to every championship game.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:07 PM, cmontexas said:

Anybody know anything about Lorena ISD? That area looks like its about to explode and they could easily siphon enough Midway talent to dominate the lower levels, especially if Midway keeps getting screwed over in the South Dallas district 

I called this come up on page 2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

He is a great high school qb. He won’t do anything in college though, he’ll get passed up on the depth chart, transfer, and be forgotten. He’s more Hudson card than Sam Ehlinger imo (yes I know card went to a different school). Ewers is and will be way better. 

I suggest you watch the Westlake game on Saturday.