Eternals -- Marvel's Next Guardians of the Galaxy? Jolie, Hayek, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, and More

Patrick Bateman

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Because of them living over the millennia, would have been cooler as a TV series, but not even The Mouse wants to cough up for Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek in a TV series.

I'm interested.

I'd be even more interested in Angelina and Salma in another sort of cinema.

monty python wink GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, NWBuck said:

I'd be even more interested in Angelina and Salma in another sort of cinema.

monty python wink GIF

Angelina Jolie is in her forties and has had a double mastectomy. Salma Hayek is in her fifties. Rule 34 and all, but I'll pass on that aspect. Maybe 20 years ago.

The trailer epitomizes where Disney is with Marvel, now. Hayek was selected as the lead, according to the director, because she's in her fifties, and everyone needs to fight ageism in Hollywood, and because she thought it was time for a Hispanic female super hero.

Opens with ponderous music, and insane CGI levels, no real plot to discern, but the money part is at the end. One guy says, basically, that the bankable stars from the previous movies (Evans and Downey Jr.) are retired, so who's going to be the face to bring people into the box office. One guy says he could, and everyone laughs.  

That summarizes where Disney is right now with Marvel. All their bankable stars have been exploited, and they're not sure where to go. Brie Larsen can't carry the load. Tom Holland is okay, but he can't carry a movie, and Sony isn't giving up the rights to Spider-man. Disney wants the toy sales from characters they own. Top management doesn't want the ice cream and candy bars of a comic book movie. They want to make a social statement, so they're dressing up broccoli and cauliflower in an ice cream suit and hoping we'll buy it. 

Disney is worried about this movie. Chloé Zhao, the director, is from China, and Disney played that up a lot, until it came out that she escaped Communist China and has bad mouthed them. This means China may not allow the movie to be released there. [why she makes films about the American heartland] It goes back to when I was a teenager in China, being in a place where there are lies everywhere. [Filmmaker Magazine, 2013]

Zhao has mostly made art house films. I think her biggest film so far is Nomadland, which made $2 million in the US, and $13 million world wide. That's fine, cause the total budget was $500,000. Not sure how an art house film made with a massive budget will play out. The last time Disney tried this was with Rian Johnson. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Angelina Jolie is in her forties and has had a double mastectomy. Salma Hayek is in her fifties. Rule 34 and all, but I'll pass on that aspect. Maybe 20 years ago.

The trailer epitomizes where Disney is with Marvel, now. Hayek was selected as the lead, according to the director, because she's in her fifties, and everyone needs to fight ageism in Hollywood, and because she thought it was time for a Hispanic female super hero.

Opens with ponderous music, and insane CGI levels, no real plot to discern, but the money part is at the end. One guy says, basically, that the bankable stars from the previous movies (Evans and Downey Jr.) are retired, so who's going to be the face to bring people into the box office. One guy says he could, and everyone laughs.  

That summarizes where Disney is right now with Marvel. All their bankable stars have been exploited, and they're not sure where to go. Brie Larsen can't carry the load. Tom Holland is okay, but he can't carry a movie, and Sony isn't giving up the rights to Spider-man. Disney wants the toy sales from characters they own. Top management doesn't want the ice cream and candy bars of a comic book movie. They want to make a social statement, so they're dressing up broccoli and cauliflower in an ice cream suit and hoping we'll buy it. 

Disney is worried about this movie. Chloé Zhao, the director, is from China, and Disney played that up a lot, until it came out that she escaped Communist China and has bad mouthed them. This means China may not allow the movie to be released there. [why she makes films about the American heartland] It goes back to when I was a teenager in China, being in a place where there are lies everywhere. [Filmmaker Magazine, 2013]

Zhao has mostly made art house films. I think her biggest film so far is Nomadland, which made $2 million in the US, and $13 million world wide. That's fine, cause the total budget was $500,000. Not sure how an art house film made with a massive budget will play out. The last time Disney tried this was with Rian Johnson. 

Yea all of this. Weird and it looks bad and boring, but trailers have a way of being sneaky so I'll hold out hope.

Also funny to see Danesh from Silicon Valley absolutely freaking jacked.

the pattern for me with marvel used to be that i preferred origin stories based in reality.  iron man is a rich guy living in malibu.  cap fought hitler in ww2.  ant-man is a thief who stumbles upon cool tech/serum.  spider-man is a high school kid from queens.

i was skeptical, but guardians worked for me because of characters and tone.  pratt and gunn had a lot to do with that, and i didn't care for the 2nd one.  i also really didn't like any thor movies until ragnorak.

i don't know the eternals story, but it looks like outlander to me, a show i have not watched, but i've caught clips while the wife is watching it.  an older female lead won't deter me from watching this, but the feel and tone might.  there's a reason why people like jon favreau have had success in the mcu.  not sure zhao is a match, but i'm willing to be proven wrong.

i don't know shit about the eternals, but this trailer has an epic saga feel to it that you would find in a sequel or an avengers type movie that joins characters from multiple properties.  i need a good story to build on, and i worry that marvel has cut the line on this.

Marvel has produced WAY more hits than misses. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Ironman wasn't all that popular of a comic book character and they made him huge in the MCU.

Comparing MCU to Star Wars is an insult to Marvel. Marvel had a vison though 20+ movies and executed damn well on the plots and subplots through mostly all 20. Star Wars had no such vision for anything.

Downey Jr wasn't a huge star when marvel signed him for the first Iron Man. Neither were Helmsworth or Evans. Marvel made them huge. Not worried about the cast. It's the usually well thought out stories that is the attraction. Knowing what we now know, I'll be looking for clues and hints for future movies and plots.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

The Last Jedi made 1.3 billion dollars.

Ant-Man 3

Thor 4

Doc Strange 2

Guardians 3

Black Panther 2

Shang-Chi

Fantastic Four

New Blade

All coming to a theater or DIZ+ near you.

Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Christian Bale, Natalie Portman, Russell Crowe, Taika Waititi, Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olson, Tobey Maguire, Sam Raimi, Bruce Fucking Campbell, James Gunn, Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Mahershala Ali... these are all A-list bankable stars/directors.

Not to mention who they are going to line-up for Fantastic 4. And wait until the plan for Black Panther 2 is finally revealed - people are going to lose their fucking minds for that movie.

Disney is going to continue to make billions of dollars and turn out the greatest superhero films of all time.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, smuggs said:

The Last Jedi made 1.3 billion dollars.

Ant-Man 3

Thor 4

Doc Strange 2

Guardians 3

Black Panther 2

Shang-Chi

Fantastic Four

New Blade

All coming to a theater or DIZ+ near you.

Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Christian Bale, Natalie Portman, Russell Crowe, Taika Waititi, Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olson, Tobey Maguire, Sam Raimi, Bruce Fucking Campbell, James Gunn, Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Mahershala Ali... these are all A-list bankable stars/directors.

Not to mention who they are going to line-up for Fantastic 4. And wait until the plan for Black Panther 2 is finally revealed - people are going to lose their fucking minds for that movie.

Disney is going to continue to make billions of dollars and turn out the greatest superhero films of all time.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Marvel has produced WAY more hits than misses. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Ironman wasn't all that popular of a comic book character and they made him huge in the MCU.

Comparing MCU to Star Wars is an insult to Marvel. Marvel had a vison though 20+ movies and executed damn well on the plots and subplots through mostly all 20. Star Wars had no such vision for anything.

Downey Jr wasn't a huge star when marvel signed him for the first Iron Man. Neither were Helmsworth or Evans. Marvel made them huge. Not worried about the cast. It's the usually well thought out stories that is the attraction. Knowing what we now know, I'll be looking for clues and hints for future movies and plots.

Dude, they’ve made a raccoon and a tree so damn popular.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the pattern for me with marvel used to be that i preferred origin stories based in reality.  iron man is a rich guy living in malibu.  cap fought hitler in ww2.  ant-man is a thief who stumbles upon cool tech/serum.  spider-man is a high school kid from queens.

i was skeptical, but guardians worked for me because of characters and tone.  pratt and gunn had a lot to do with that, and i didn't care for the 2nd one.  i also really didn't like any thor movies until ragnorak.

i don't know the eternals story, but it looks like outlander to me, a show i have not watched, but i've caught clips while the wife is watching it.  an older female lead won't deter me from watching this, but the feel and tone might.  there's a reason why people like jon favreau have had success in the mcu.  not sure zhao is a match, but i'm willing to be proven wrong.

i don't know shit about the eternals, but this trailer has an epic saga feel to it that you would find in a sequel or an avengers type movie that joins characters from multiple properties.  i need a good story to build on, and i worry that marvel has cut the line on this.

All this is how I feel too generally, but as others have mentioned, it doesn't matter because Disney will make a billion and #JackedDanish will trend.

I think I've really just not found the appeal of Angelina Jolie, like ever, so that dampens the excitement for me too. I get that she was a highly regarded actress when she was a girl interrupted and drinking billy bob's blood vial but even then looks-wise she was a poor pinup's version of Megan Fox licking Machine Gun Kelly's black tongue. The judges who crown the best/beautiful of Hollywood just really liked her and have continued to like her despite being above-average.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

All this is how I feel too generally, but as others have mentioned, it doesn't matter because Disney will make a billion and #JackedDanish will trend.

I think I've really just not found the appeal of Angelina Jolie, like ever, so that dampens the excitement for me too. I get that she was a highly regarded actress when she was a girl interrupted and drinking billy bob's blood vial but even then looks-wise she was a poor pinup's version of Megan Fox licking Machine Gun Kelly's black tongue. The judges who crown the best/beautiful of Hollywood just really liked her and have continued to like her despite being above-average.

as stated above. marvel made a tree and a racoon awesome characters. i'm not worried. ellen, whom i despise, could be captain marvel and i would still watch a movie with her as lead. why? because i know that character is a small cog in a much bigger wheel and there will be a huge climax in about 20 movies which will make it all worthwhile.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

as stated above. marvel made a tree and a racoon awesome characters. i'm not worried. ellen, whom i despise, could be captain marvel and i would still watch a movie with her as lead. why? because i know that character is a small cog in a much bigger wheel and there will be a huge climax in about 20 movies which will make it all worthwhile.

Good point about having a fanbase that is committed and bought-in to the entire 40 picture journey or whatever it will be, versus having disconnected folks who view the movies independently and prosecute them as stand alone's.

Essentially it's MCU/ComicBook Nerd fandom vs. Non-MCU/Commicbook fans, and this movie is going to get 100% of Column A and that will make it a billion dollar movie and whatever from Column B they get is gravy.

If they let Chloe Zhao go full art-house (with a big budget) it may be good. Or if they go typical jokey Marvel action, it should be enjoyable. If it's a mishmash of the two, watch out.

As Mr Miyagi said, karate yes or karate no. Karate maybe, squash like a grape. 

Will it be worse than Captain Marvel or Thor 1 and 2 ? Possibly. Will it be as good Avengers 1 or GotG 1? Almost certainly not, but both of those had great casts, one of which had been built over many movies. But will most of us watch it because of what it sets up later? That's how they get you. Why swing for the fences when a bunt will work?

• Hook 'Em 1

This has a definite Guardians type feel in the sense that it's a less well-known storyline, involves atypical Marvel fare, and has a huge cast. Feige has built up enough cache with me that I'll go see any Marvel movie he puts up. 

9 minutes ago, Apep said:

Will it be worse than Captain Marvel or Thor 1 and 2 ? Possibly. Will it be as good Avengers 1 or GotG 1? Almost certainly not, but both of those had great casts, one of which had been built over many movies. But will most of us watch it because of what it sets up later? That's how they get you. Why swing for the fences when a bunt will work?

Captain Marvel will be redeemed because it introduced us to the Kree and Skrulls, who are be baddies for Phase 2. Also wonder how much they'll get into the Celestials who basically made the Eternals, Skrull, and Kree who they are. They already introduced the Celestials with Ego. I know MCU tries to diverge from the comic book lore but will be interesting who they include, how big a role they play, and how the stories intertwine.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Captain Marvel will be redeemed because it introduced us to the Kree and Skrulls, who are be baddies for Phase 2. Also wonder how much they'll get into the Celestials who basically made the Eternals, Skrull, and Kree who they are. They already introduced the Celestials with Ego. I know MCU tries to diverge from the comic book lore but will be interesting who they include, how big a role they play, and how the stories intertwine.

Thinking back to GoTG2, I wondered why they made Ego Quill's dad in the MCU. I guess we have our answer with why it was a Celestial. They had Phase 2 planned with GoTG2.

Again, the Marvel crew has this shit well planned out. I wouldn't doubt if they have the storyline/plot planned out for 40+ movies.

I don't think the director matters at all. They're just a minor cog in the machine and are easily replaceable and interchangeable.  She was hired well before she was on the radar of anyone and probably because she was cheap.

Compare her to the Russo Brothers who did Civil War, Infinity War, and End Game. Their previous work peaked with You, Me, and Dupree, an Owen Wilson bomb with a 20% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I don't think the director matters at all. They're just a minor cog in the machine and are easily replaceable and interchangeable.  She was hired well before she was on the radar of anyone and probably because she was cheap.

Compare her to the Russo Brothers who did Civil War, Infinity War, and End Game. Their previous work peaked with You, Me, and Dupree, an Owen Wilson bomb with a 20% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The director matters a lot. This is an extreme example, but Frank Capra directing "Kill Bill" and Quentin Tarantino directing "It's a Wonderful Life" would have produced radically different movies. It would be like Marie Osmond singing "Cocaine Blues."

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

The director matters a lot. This is an extreme example, but Frank Capra directing "Kill Bill" and Quentin Tarantino directing "It's a Wonderful Life" would have produced radically different movies. It would be like Marie Osmond singing "Cocaine Blues."

Of course the director matters when they have full creative control.  Marvel directors absolutely do not have full creative control.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Weren't we technically already introduced to the Kree in GotG?

I don't know, Waititi seems to have had plenty of creative control. Total departure, totally his style and 100% superior to Kenneth Branagh and Alan Taylor. Does anyone even remember or care about Thor 1 and 2?

I can't wait for some Raimi Doc Strange.

28 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yea, but your criticism is stilted.  James Gunn had done little before Guardians.  The Russo Brothers were TV directors who had done one shitty Owen Wilson movie before steering 3 of the biggest movies of all-time.  Who the fuck is Scott Derrickson?  Most don't know.  Chloe Zhao is actually way more credible then any of those examples.  More like Patty Jenkins.  Will it work?  Who knows, but I think the director should work fine.

This movie is already behind the eight-ball with me not liking this group.

If I understand it, The Eternals have been around a long time, and are related to Thanos, yet they didn't want to get involved when he destroyed half the universe.   Really? We're supposed to root for these a-holes? 

That's like the Swiss bragging about being neutral.  Great, they stood by and did nothing when the Nazi's killed Millions.  

#GodwinFTW

3 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I don't know, Waititi seems to have had plenty of creative control. Total departure, totally his style and 100% superior to Kenneth Branagh and Alan Taylor. Does anyone even remember or care about Thor 1 and 2?

I can't wait for some Raimi Doc Strange.

Thor 3 is my fav Marvel movies. It re-made a stale Thor into a better character. Not sure how much of that was Waititi and how much of it was Marvel team. Maybe a little of both? Waititi was also a relative nobody before that movie.

Shit, what had Favreau done before Iron Man? He and Downey Jr basically made up the script/shit as they went along. Marvel has come a LONG way since them.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jeff-bridges-admits-iron-man-movie-had-no-script-5417310

Jeff Bridges:

"They had no script, man. They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on."

Bridges, director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. would literally act out sequences during primitive rehearsals, Downey taking on Bridges's role and vice versa, to find and essentially improvise their way to full scenes, the actor recounts. Bridges says that the entire production was probably saved by the improv prowess of the film's director and star.

"You've got the suits from Marvel in the trailer with us saying, 'No, you wouldn't say that,'" Bridges continued. "You would think with a $200 million movie you'd have the shit together, but it was just the opposite. And the reason for that is because they get ahead of themselves. They have a release date before the script, ‘Oh, we'll have the script before that time,' and they don't have their shit together.

"Jon dealt with it so well," Bridges continues. "It freaked me out. I was very anxious. I like to be prepared. I like to know my lines, man, that's my school. Very prepared. That was very irritating, and then I just made this adjustment. It happens in movies a lot where something's rubbing against your fur and it's not feeling right, but it's just the way it is. You can spend a lot of energy bitching about that or you can figure out how you're going to do it, how you're going to play this hand you've been dealt. What you can control is how you perceive things and your thinking about it. So I said, ‘Oh, what we're doing here, we're making a $200 million student film. We're all just fuckin' around! We're playin'. Oh, great!' That took all the pressure off. ‘Oh, just jam, man, just play.' And it turned out great!"

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If I understand it, The Eternals have been around a long time, and are related to Thanos, yet they didn't want to get involved when he destroyed half the universe.   Really? We're supposed to root for these a-holes? 

That's like the Swiss bragging about being neutral.  Great, they stood by and did nothing when the Nazi's killed Millions.  

#GodwinFTW

I'd imagine the movie will tell us why they didn't get involved. 

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

#GodwinFTW

You need to read up on why the Celestials created them. They were threatened with extinction by the Celestials if they interfered again with humanity.

But yes, it will be interesting if/how the script accounts for this and why they are now getting involved with Humanity at the risk of pissing off the Celestials.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Thor 3 is my fav Marvel movies. It re-made a stale Thor into a better character. Not sure how much of that was Waititi and how much of it was Marvel team. Maybe a little of both? Waititi was also a relative nobody before that movie.

Flight of the Conchords, What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt For The Wilderpeople was a pretty damn solid resume. And Ragnarok was completely in line with those projects.

7 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

#GodwinFTW

Without spoiling anything, it looks like they're using Neil Gaiman's run as the basis for this movie, so there will be a good explanation as to where these characters have been and why they haven't been involved in stopping any of the other world ending threats up to this point.

Edited by ultimaton

I'm intrigued as well on this movie.  I have full faith that they have clear plans for the movie both working or missing the mark.  It'll be fun to see it all play out.  I've skimmed over various synopses of the Eternals and they are just so darn different and out there compared to everything else we've seen up till now.  But bottom line, I'm glad they're taking risks.  There's so many different avenues left open ended right now:  time travel, multiverse, Kree/Skull conflict, the pending introduction of Mutants or the Fantastic 4, what's left of Thor & the GoG, etc.  Are they going to link up with any of these?  Will they try to introduce any of the Abstract Entities?  They've hinted at them in various movies as well.

Much like how important the first Thor movie was in opening up the MCU to outer space, I think they'll use this movie as yet another major transition point in the MCU arc.