Texas vs Mississippi State: College World Series

Horny Bull

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know man. Only a few guys like Augie can do that zen shit and it wasn't like he could do much to help a lot of the shitty lineups he sent out there.

It's not Zen shit I'm talking about, it's baseball 101.  

My HS coach did it.  Other coaches on many levels do it.  It's not always successful, but not trying is a baseball sin.  It was malpractice.

You try.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas fans are very defensive about baseball. It was the umpire! It was foreign substance! 

No, we just got schooled by a guy throwing 2 pitches that we saw to open the season and made no adjustment on. Did we burn the tape from Arlington and therefore not watch our at-bats from when he struck us out 100 times then too? 

Different pitcher unless you are talking about Simms. Bednar didn't play the first two weeks of the season 

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

He did quit for a half second, but I don't think he gets to it even if he didn't.  Just a really bad luck deal.  It's baseball and it stings.

If we were to have a shot at winning a game like this it would of taken a coaching staff that understood the value of doing everything possible to get a pitcher out of his groove.  Apparently that never occured to our staff.  It's truly hard to wrap my mind around it.  There was zero effort at all from them on that extremely important aspect of the game.  They mailed it in coaching-wise.

No other way to put it.

Yep. That's what I was thinking. Why aren't we trying to be a little more disruptive? Why no bunts from Kennedy or Antico to try to get something going? Arunner on base can change everything. Then when we finally try it, we pop it up. Why no timeouts or batters stepping out, etc? Instead we just beat our heads against the wall, doing the same thing.

Oh well, fuck it. Let's go win 4 to get to the final. If any team is built for that, it's this team.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hopefully the Tennessee pitcher we face doesn’t throw mid 90’s fastballs down the pipe or we’re fucked.

You should be good. TN makes their living at their small park hitting homers. They aren't going to put on a slug fest against y'all in OMAHA

and it looks like the wind should be blowing in  on tuesday per the weather, which of course makes it tougher to knock one out. 

Just WIN. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Aside from wanting to survive to fight another day and still being in the hunt for a title, I not only want to beat TN, I want to destroy them.  Not because they are SECSECSEC, but because they are amongst the douchiest bunch of cheesedicks I've seen in the D1 game.

These losers grow their hair out (no big deal and nothing new) and wear caps that are too large so that when they run in/out on a ball hit their way the cap comes off and shows their adoring douche-loving fans their lovely curls.  If the hat doesn't come off a forearm or wrist bump is applied during the act of running to help it along.

They need to be sent home because they are the Deep South gimmicky version of Dallas $30,000 millionaires with their shiny, untucked, vertical striped shirts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On an unrelated note to the absolute abortion of an offensive performance we saw last night for 8 innings, Ty Madden was phenomenal and featured a 3rd pitch last night for the first time I believe. Forgot what inning but he threw a 2-seamer last night at 87. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Holy fuck. This is almost as embarrassing as our offense. That guy needs to delete his Twitter.

Our pitching was great. Our defense was good enough. Dwelling on the Hodo play is silly. It was a tough play in normal conditions but add the crazy wind and you can't expect that lucky shit to be an out. Maybe Kennedy makes that play but who else on the roster would?

Our offense might as well have gone to the plate without bats. The outcome would have been really fucking similar. It was clear by the 3rd inning we were going to set a record.

Yes he should delete that crap. The way I saw it those high fast balls came in high all the way in but by then Bednar was ahead in the count and guys had to chase. Commentator talked about starting to cheat up because everything was staying up and our hitters never made the adjustment. With all that said we were one hit away from forcing extra innings and a homer away from taking the game. Odds are now stacked against us but lets go win two and then start to dream again.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Look yo, I don't nuthin' 'bout no nerd-ass physics.  This here's baseball talk now, ya hear?  

I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for this guy I couldn't hit 25 years ago and this guy from Miss. State last night and arm angles and all that shit....But Kent Tekulve won't return my phone calls.  

Insane outing last night. Some might have seen it coming though. . The guy is meh at best when pitching at home:

8 starts 2-1 5.25 ERA 36 IP 42 hits 24 runs 21 ER 13bb 49ks

Will Bednar on the road???

6 starts 6-0 1.22 ERA 37 IP 20 H 5R 7bb 61ks

Two completely different pitchers almost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

His job is also to get the other team UNcomfortable and he didn't even phone that one in.

Don't think Pierce has gotten to that chapter of the book yet.  He better figure out a way for his team to hit that little white ball with that great big bat....otherwise, the other team doesn't need but 2 players.   Changes, of some kind, must be made, or Pierce will never win a game where it matters the most.

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Insane outing last night. Some might have seen it coming though. . The guy is meh at best when pitching at home:

8 starts 2-1 5.25 ERA 36 IP 42 hits 24 runs 21 ER 13bb 49ks

Will Bednar on the road???

6 starts 6-0 1.22 ERA 37 IP 20 H 5R 7bb 61ks

Two completely different pitchers almost.

The weirdest thing about us is it isn’t even home or road where we struggle. It’s been strictly neutral site tournament like setups where this team has looked like a dead corpse offensively.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

You choke up on the bat.  You move up in the box.  You lay down a bunt.  You (Pierce) have your batter call time to "confer" over signs.  You do NOT let a guy like Bednar (sp?) just settle in and work on his terms like he did all fucking night.  What we witnessed last night Fletch was coaching malpractice.

I don't know how else to put it.

Our coaching staff never even gave so much as a glance at that bag of strategical tools and it was sitting right in front of them like an All-U-Can-Eat Chinese Buffet.  Infuriating.

Those changes weren’t made until the 9th inning. cam’s single was a result of choking up and getting around quicker. I watched that all game long, no one did it until he did.  Got damn!

• Hook 'Em 1

It hurts because we wasted a great pitching performance by swinging under 8000 90mph fastballs. The ump wasn't the issue but this team will do best with an ump who has a tight zone. We need walks to generate runs at this point.

I thought if we could score 4 to 5 a game we would walk to the champ series with our pitching and D.

Whichever team jumps in front early on tues likely takes it. I hope we bring the bats.

26 minutes ago, chase25 said:

On an unrelated note to the absolute abortion of an offensive performance we saw last night for 8 innings, Ty Madden was phenomenal and featured a 3rd pitch last night for the first time I believe. Forgot what inning but he threw a 2-seamer last night at 87. 

Ty was filthy 85% of his time in that game.  The other guy was just filthy 99.998% of his time.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Was lucky enough to not watch the game.  Just watched the highlights.

1.  Forget the umpire b.s.

2. even watching highlights, I could tell there was something different in our intensity in inning 9.  We finally woke up.  

3. That Melendez at bat needs to happen early and often in the next game.  We need someone who can stand up there and actually battle the pitcher, make contact, foul balls, etc.  Make him throw 10 pitches in several at bats early in the game.  Don't let him get comfortable.

4.  Pierce - Do your damn job! 

5.  That weasly little horns down was irritating, only because he wasn't brave enough to do it so everybody could see.  Wow! Young man, if you're going to do it, you need to own it.  

I hope we respond with an intensity that the Texas fans deserve.  I just had a flashback to Jose running to outside the center field fence with the state of Texas flag, waving it wildly to get the fans going as we were trying to get the team going against some regional team.  

If the SEC is really better than us that is life, but let's go down with everything we've got.  

Tomorrow I predict we show up with focusness, and we win, about 3-1.

1. Yes, but I'd say anything after the first couple innings you shouldn't bitch about it. After that it is what it is and you HAVE to make adjustments.

2. Clearly, and that's my hope at the moment.

3. Fucking THIS. Melendez 9th inning >>>>>>>>>>> any other this post season.

4. This or anything. Dude needs to make shit up if he doesn't have anything to say. You got there, that doesn't mean your job is done.

5. Pussy. Plain and simple.

I hope they respond too, but this is now a pride route to take. You have a performance like that and you need to pull yourself and your teammates up of the ground and get back to work. The 2 and Q teams always get knocked down and remain down. Texas can bounce back and win the next 4 games. I guess we'll have to fuck around and find out.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

My HS coach did it.  Other coaches on many levels do it.  It's not always successful, but not trying is a baseball sin.  It was malpractice.

You try.

Fair enough. I don't know shit about actually playing baseball.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

You choke up on the bat.  You move up in the box.  You lay down a bunt.  You (Pierce) have your batter call time to "confer" over signs.  You do NOT let a guy like Bednar (sp?) just settle in and work on his terms like he did all fucking night.  What we witnessed last night Fletch was coaching malpractice.

I don't know how else to put it.

Our coaching staff never even gave so much as a glance at that bag of strategical tools and it was sitting right in front of them like an All-U-Can-Eat Chinese Buffet.  Infuriating.

Oh yeah I’ve been screaming all year to choke up. Especially Cam. Fucking shit I swear that guy always swings for the fences. Make some fucking contact and see what happens. Welp, onto Tennessee 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think best case scenario we beat Tennessee - MSU loses to UVA - we beat MSU's 3rd starter - then we have to win 2 against UVA. 

I don't want to be a pussy or anything but I'd rather not face Bendar again if we don't have to. If we do have to... hopefully we learned enough from the last outing to not completely shit the bed again. 

And it goes without saying - this shit is far from over. I think 35 out of the last 39 teams to win it won their first game. All that tells me is that 4 teams dropped their first one and still won it all. I think we can hold off on the fire Pierce thread until we're actually out of Omaha. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't want to be a pussy or anything but I'd rather not face Bendar again if we don't have to. If we do have to... hopefully we learned enough from the last outing to not completely shit the bed again. 

Look, don't worry about Bendar.  We've got just the guy for his goin' nowhere ass -

iu-1.gif

• Haha 1

[mention=6153]Spaceman_Spiff[/mention] came on and said Bednar's ball spin was 2600 rpm-plus, which is super-high.
Spin can at the very least create optical illusions.
Last I checked, the very best hitters can detect some spin on a curve ball.  You kind of wonder if this spin deceives into thinking it's a curve or slider.
I was looking for earlier in the year this was discussed I believe with the pitching ninja. Take a 91mph with a high spin rate over a flat 96 mph pitcher any day.

#HailState

I think best case scenario we beat Tennessee - MSU loses to UVA - we beat MSU's 3rd starter - then we have to win 2 against UVA. 
And it goes without saying - this shit is far from over. I think 35 out of the last 39 teams to win it won their first game. All that tells me is that 4 teams dropped their first one and still won it all. I think we can hold off on the fire Pierce thread until we're actually out of Omaha. 
Our 3rd starter is the guy ya'll love so much who humps his glove before he delivers.

#HailState

If I’m your coach, I’m thinking real long and hard about just throwing Bender against Texas on Friday rather than risk a Saturday elimination game.  Sure it screws up your finals rotation, but you know the old saying…

I am now nearly as afraid as a grown man can be (about a sporting event), of Rocker and Leiter in any potential final.  And their 98mph closer, Murphy, I think?

And I am sure there are some other Rocker/Leiter/Bednar types on other staffs that can come in and completely fuck up our shit on a neutral field.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Take this for what it is, but...

My wife does weird prediction shit. Meaning she will take out a piece of paper and write down her expected outcome of an event and afterwards she will pull it out and show me the outcome she predicted. She is also weirdly right most of the time.

Her prediction:

"MSU wins 3-1, Texas makes the finals though from the losers bracket." Wife then states, "If they (Texas) make the finals (Championship games) we will cancel our weekend plans and go to Omaha."

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

@Spaceman_Spiff came on and said Bednar's ball spin was 2600 rpm-plus, which is super-high.

That's insane.  The article I read claims Aroldis Chapman averages 2,360 rpm.

Also, let's not get hung up on "rising" or "not rising".  A high velocity, high spin 4-seam fastball may not technically rise, but it will drop less than the pitches most mortals throw.  Hence, hitters swing under it, like last night. 

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

You try.

this. they give you offensive TO's for a reason(did we use one?).   IMO we get too invested in our process at the plate.   the pitcher dictated everything.  I may be wrong here but zach does his little bat fist tap every time but yesterday I think he stopped doing it because the pitcher wasn't allowing him too.

step out, call time, try a slash, move up on the plate, choke up, anything but swinging through fastballs over and over again.

9 minutes ago, Droopy said:

My wife does weird prediction shit. Meaning she will take out a piece of paper and write down her expected outcome of an event and afterwards she will pull it out and show me the outcome she predicted. She is also weirdly right most of the time.

Her prediction:

"MSU wins 3-1, Texas makes the finals though from the losers bracket." Wife then states, "If they (Texas) make the finals (Championship games) we will cancel our weekend plans and go to Omaha."

That sounds like some gypsy shit.. but I ain't tempting fate and calling her wrong.  very possible. 

12 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Her prediction:

We need to see pics of wife to validate.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

It hurts because we wasted a great pitching performance by swinging under 8000 90mph fastballs. The ump wasn't the issue but this team will do best with an ump who has a tight zone. We need walks to generate runs at this point.

I thought if we could score 4 to 5 a game we would walk to the champ series with our pitching and D.

Whichever team jumps in front early on tues likely takes it. I hope we bring the bats.

all teams hit better with a tight strike zone 

25 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Her prediction:

sounds aight

45 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this. they give you offensive TO's for a reason(did we use one?).   IMO we get too invested in our process at the plate.   the pitcher dictated everything.  I may be wrong here but zach does his little bat fist tap every time but yesterday I think he stopped doing it because the pitcher wasn't allowing him too.

step out, call time, try a slash, move up on the plate, choke up, anything but swinging through fastballs over and over again.

Yes.

And what's really sad is this isn't some witch doctor or "Zen" stuff, as Valmy categorized it.  It's basic shit.  The guy is in a groove.  He's comfortable and dug in and not only are you not having success against him, you're not even coming within 3 inches of the ball when y'all swing.  Quit worrying about your routine and comfort and start attempting to disrupt his routine and comfort.  It's not guaranteed to work, but it's guaranteed to be of no value if you don't give it a goddamned try.

Which we didn't.

Pierce and Co really need to improve their in game IQs.

3 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. That's what I was thinking. Why aren't we trying to be a little more disruptive? Why no bunts from Kennedy or Antico to try to get something going? 

Kennedy popped up a bunt to the 3rd baseman for the last out of the 8th.  

I'll echo that Ty was great* and deserved better.  Done in by one leadoff walk and a RF that shied away from the sidewall on a ball that landed fair.

*He's our 3rd best starter.  Why is he starting game 1?

Edited by WBT

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Kennedy popped up a bunt to the 3rd baseman for the last out of the 8th.  

He did, but as stated before that was waaaaaaaaaay too late in the game.  By the 4th inning we should have been changing our plate approach up.  That's an adjustment.

What Kennedy tried in the 8th wasn't an adjustment, it was desperation and his bunt attempt reflected that fact.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bednar wasn't working super fast but he definitely had a rhythm and flow going.  Call fucking time, step out.  My 14 year old knows to do this, maybe because he still does both works pretty quick as a pitcher and knows it can work.  Does it always work, no but jeez that's something you learn by the time you're 11 or 12.  

Also it's been said but jesus you could see the epidemic of the all or nothing cookie cutter power approach to swings last night.  Yea you're probably not gonna generate a ton of launch angle with a ball up at the top or above the top of the zone but you can spray that shit for singles and occasionally doubles all day.  

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

regardless of the strike zone, they couldn’t hit shit last night. Hell, making contact was an issue. They couldn’t hit fucking ground balls 

They definitely hit one. On a 2-0 count. With the game on the line. Great timing. 🤬

• Rage+1 1