The Sheldon Whitehouse Beach Club Controversy

lmao

How should he handle this? Yes, conservatives are using this as a political cudgel to feign like they care about systemic racism, that aside do you see a problem with him being a member of this club? 

Back in the 80s, I was a member of the

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhkmNtnSrmBzuxl_HwwF8

I am convinced that is what doomed my political career.

Oh, and Dems can be (and historically, a shitload have been) participants in the white supremacy order of things.  Belonging to an all-white club is a shitty look.  Especially if it is purposefully that way (I have no idea if it is here, by the way).

• Haha 1

Probably not the reason you want your name in the news, considering he's like, way way way way down the list of Senators people actually know.

Also - Sheldon WHITEhouse.  Jesus Christ, the simulation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and Dems can be (and historically, a shitload have been) participants in the white supremacy order of things.  Belonging to an all-white club is a shitty look.  Especially if it is purposefully that way (I have no idea if it is here, by the way).

This is the old money Beach Club in Newport.  It isn't racist, per se, but basically, you have to have been summering in Newport with the Astors.  That blocks out a LOT of people.  

17 minutes ago, lmao said:

How should he handle this? Yes, conservatives are using this as a political cudgel to feign like they care about systemic racism, that aside do you see a problem with him being a member of this club? 

Yeah that's bullshit.  If he wants to be in public service he either needs to convince that club to diversify or drop his membership.   No one forced him to become a senator.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

He also tried to cover it up by transferring his shares to his wife.

Whitehouse, who has been outspoken about issues of racial justice during his tenure in public office, has been a member of the club for at least two decades. GoLocal Providence reported that Whitehouse vowed to quit the beach club during his 2006 Senate campaign but instead transferred his shares to his wife Sandra Thornton Whitehouse, making her one of the club’s top shareholders. However, a spokesperson for the senator told Forbes he “did not say that” and said the share transfer was to “accommodate a club policy of spouses not both being members.” When interviewed about his continued membership at the club in 2017, Whitehouse said “it would be nice” if the club “changed a little bit” and vowed to take up the issue of diversity “privately.”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Granted, I'm sure that it doesn't actually say "White People Only!" on the sign outside of their clubhouse, and the selection may be limited in Rhode Island...but there's got to be a handful of rich minorites nearby who would love to flaunt their money at a beach club.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Granted, I'm sure that it doesn't actually say "White People Only!" on the sign outside of their clubhouse, and the selection may be limited in Rhode Island...but there's got to be a handful of rich minorites nearby who would love to flaunt their money at a beach club.

A lot of these clubs were/are for connected WASPs. You have to be a special kind of white. The South Hampton Beach Club routinely denies billionaires memberships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the old money Beach Club in Newport.  It isn't racist, per se, but basically, you have to have been summering in Newport with the Astors.  That blocks out a LOT of people.  

A lot of these clubs were/are for connected WASPs. You have to be a special kind of white. The South Hampton Beach Club routinely denies billionaires memberships. 

Which is a lot what “systemic racism” looks like. The clubs aren’t overtly racist….they’re just built on family connections and membership history….from 150 years ago….when minorities were excluded from everything.

“Tradition and connections” are an ideal way to carry historical racism forward for centuries.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is a lot what “systemic racism” looks like. The clubs aren’t overtly racist….they’re just built on family connections and membership history….from 150 years ago….when minorities were excluded from everything.

“Tradition and connections” are an ideal way to carry historical racism forward for centuries.

I don't disagree with you.  Which is why I said what I said.  

I could be richer than Jeff Bezos and they wouldn't let me in as I would be deemed to be nouveau riche, even though I am WASP and my family (the family with my last name) came over with Lord Baltimore in 1705.  But we didn't summer in Newport.  Our families moved to Kentucky, Missouri, Texas, and Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How in the fuck are there still all whites clubs in 2021 that (allegedly) aren't directly associated with the KKK? How fucking dumb and shitty are people?

Sir, this is the daily Texan, you aren’t allowed to bring that racial divisiveness in here.   We don’t allow that.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That was a fantastic marketing campaign in the 80s, the whole "beach" vibe thing going on, with Ocean Pacific stuff being trendy, etc.  I went through that phase and we'd hit Galveston a couple of times a month.  

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I don't disagree with you.  Which is why I said what I said.  

I could be richer than Jeff Bezos and they wouldn't let me in as I would be deemed to be nouveau riche, even though I am WASP and my family (the family with my last name) came over with Lord Baltimore in 1705.  But we didn't summer in Newport.  Our families moved to Kentucky, Missouri, Texas, and Oregon.

They could smell the garlic on my Sicilian ass from miles away. They wouldn't let me in regardless of my story or wealth. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That was a fantastic marketing campaign in the 80s, the whole "beach" vibe thing going on, with Ocean Pacific stuff being trendy, etc.  I went through that phase and we'd hit Galveston a couple of times a month.  

I wonder which rival beer company started the "Corona = Piss" corporate sabotage whisper campaign. It was pretty effective in tamping down CoronaMania.

I wonder which rival beer company started the "Corona = Piss" corporate sabotage whisper campaign. It was pretty effective in tamping down CoronaMania.

Probably a rival that actually tasted a Corona.
My family on the US side of the border would fill the fridge with corona. When I asked them why, they said “because it’s cheap as hell across the river.” That’s it. That was the only reason to drink it. When I told them that people in Houston would pay $5 a bottle at a bar, they said “but….it’s shit beer!”
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a collection of shacks next to the river in Bastrop, one of them held the "Bastrop Yacht Club." For like 5 bucks you could get a membership card with a sailboat on it, and all the rights and privileges thereto, which probably started and ended with being able to get a beer there on Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I remember a collection of shacks next to the river in Bastrop, one of them held the "Bastrop Yacht Club." For like 5 bucks you could get a membership card with a sailboat on it, and all the rights and privileges thereto, which probably started and ended with being able to get a beer there on Sunday.

Yeah.

They probably wouldn'ta let me in, either.

The list of "clubs" that wouldn't admit me is rather long and distinguished.

I'm still surprised when I am greeted warmly and know people -- as opposed to being accosted by security and tossed out -- at places as mundane as the Austin Club or the Old Ebbitt Grill.  I try to avoid letting them know about my lineage.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Fuck that guy. 

Uncomfortable conversation: What Country Club isn't all white? I went to my fair share growing up. I don't remember seeing any people of color at them. 

What, you didn't see the help?

At Texas country clubs, they were all black until sometime in the 80s.  Then pretty quickly, they went to all hispanic.

But the memberships sure as shit didn't.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Probably a rival that actually tasted a Corona.
My family on the US side of the border would fill the fridge with corona. When I asked them why, they said “because it’s cheap as hell across the river.” That’s it. That was the only reason to drink it. When I told them that people in Houston would pay $5 a bottle at a bar, they said “but….it’s shit beer!”

Your family is smart. That beer does taste like piss. It is only worth drinking if it is dirt cheap. There are so many better beers from Mexico.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't see why Whitehouse needs to be specifically killed for this. Have any Congresspeople been members of a country club? Then they are most likely part of an "all white" club as well. 

Because he tried to hide it and in his political platform he's constantly bringing up diversity, inclusion, etc., but in his private life he's apart of one of the most exclusionary clubs with a sordid history. This is old money WASP shit, not your local mcmansion country club. Donald Trump isn't white enough to be a member. Comic Tim Dillon had a great take on his podcast about this fwiw. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That rumor was still going strong when I was in hs in the early 00s. Also Richard Gere shoved a gerbil up his ass. All objective facts as far as were concerned. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't see why Whitehouse needs to be specifically killed for this. Have any Congresspeople been members of a country club? Then they are most likely part of an "all white" club as well. 

Having grown up in West Texas and now living in Austin, this is the first I've ever even heard of a beach club. So, it's basically a country club on the beach?

17 minutes ago, lmao said:

That rumor was still going strong when I was in hs in the early 00s. Also Richard Gere shoved a gerbil up his ass. All objective facts as far as were concerned. 

You forgot the one about Rod Stewart needing to have semen pumped from his stomach. That was a popular one back in the 80s.

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

To be fair, are there any black people in RI?

Apparently not many. The out-of-date 2010 Census shows that Blacks only make up about 5.7 percent of the population.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

To be fair, are there any black people in RI?

There was one, and I have a CSB about him: Marvin Barnes, aka Movin' Marvin, aka Bad News Barnes, of the most talented basketball players who ever lived and also one the biggest fuck-ups in sports history.

CSB below spoilered for length.

13528770_502134883315381_373294138919273

Spoiler

Back in the late ‘90s, owing to a fire, I lived for a time in a motel near Houston’s Medical Center. One night I came “home,” and was approached in the parking lot by an enormous black guy who appeared to be about 50. I wasn’t scared of him, as he looked both friendly and kind of familiar.

This guy turned out to be none other than basketball legend and titanic fuck-up Marvin “Bad News” Barnes. Back in 1974, when he was at Providence College, the six-foot-nine Barnes was the #2 pick in the NBA draft (behind only Bill Walton). Barnes chose instead to go to the ABA. As a member of the St. Louis Spirits, he was named Rookie of the Year, despite his being one of the most ridiculously hard partiers in the history of the league. Before he washed out for good, he actually put a towel over his head and snorted cocaine on the bench. Yes, during a game.

But that was at the bitter end. For a couple of years it all worked for him…Years later, he told of once entertaining two women all night long and through the next day, right up to game time, and then casually throwing a cashmere overcoat over his basketball uniform, and showing up in the locker room like that. Late for warm-ups, naturally. And then he said, “Never fear, Marvin’s here,” and ripped off the overcoat. The coach benched him for the entire quarter, which left him only three quarters to amass the 53 points he scored that night.

He also uttered some memorable quotes. One time he came running up to his coach in a near-panic. When his coach asked him what was wrong, Barnes showed him his plane ticket, which showed that their plane was to leave Louisville in the Eastern time zone at 7:01 and arrive in St. Louis at 6:59 central.

“Yo, coach, ain’t no way you’re gettin’ me on no time machine,” Barnes said.

But on that night, he did want a ride in my green Aerostar, so away we went. And it was an interesting evening, to say the least. He led me to a bunch of mall parking lots, where he would meet these women in these cars, and he would come back all wild-eyed. At one point he grooved on the Mingus on the radio and sighed “Now that is some jazz,” and at another he leaned over and stuck a bony finger in my beer gut and said “You gettin’ kinda fat.” And finally he wanted to unwind, so we went to Big John’s at his insistence. He knew the owner somehow, he said.

We bellied up to the bar in the big strip mall tavern – which remains now as it was then one of the better sports bars in town. The barmaid’s accent sounded like Belfast, and Bad News and Me both ordered pints of dark beer. At that time I was a pretty swift drinker – an imperial pint could get down my neck in about five minutes with no trouble, and if I was in a contest or something, I would almost win. And I was in a frat, and I lived in England for a few years and drank in pubs weekly, I did the kibbutz thing, and drank my way across Europe two or three times in the early ‘90s.  But I never saw anything like what Bad News did. He lifted that Imperial pint of beer to his lips and simply inhaled the thing as if it were a plum-sized helium balloon.

Jaysis,” said the barmaid. “You’re not half-fast.”

“”Nother one,” he said. And he put that one away just as efficiently.

Years later I would find out that this was all after his liver transplant. And all these years later both Big John’s and Bad News Barnes are still going. (Edit: the bar closed years ago and Barnes died in 2014.)

• Hook 'Em 1