Scenes that always spark the same response in you

jimmyjazz

On 7/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Nope. Nope. Nope. That movie does not exist and never did. Fuck that. 

this.  I will never watch it should it come into existence once more.

That's like the movie We Are Marshall.  Basically cried through the last 2/3 of the movie.  I'll never watch that sumbeech again.

Edited by slorch

That movie is a trove of great dialogue.

It's a fabulous western. Eastwood's masterwork (although Mystic River....)

What I find fascinating is how Gene Hackman was reticent to play the part of Little Bill because he objected to the violence in the script. Apparently he'd been offered the role of Bill Munny years earlier.

Unforgiven would have been such a lesser film without Hackman. Eastwood was his usual self. Freeman was pretty much a comic foil. Hackman told the story & brought it all home.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's a fabulous western. Eastwood's masterwork (although Mystic River....)

What I find fascinating is how Gene Hackman was reticent to play the part of Little Bill because he objected to the violence in the script. Apparently he'd been offered the role of Bill Munny years earlier.

Unforgiven would have been such a lesser film without Hackman. Eastwood was his usual self. Freeman was pretty much a comic foil. Hackman told the story & brought it all home.

About as anti-violent movie, and western, as I’ve seen that spoke about the reality of gunplay and demonstrated the consequences.

Gotta say I’ve seen this movie from start to finish at least a dozen times. Maybe more, it’s been out for 20 years….

My reaction is always the same. 
chin up and chest out 

i hated Phoenix for many years just because of how well he played the villain 

• Like 1

1. In "Yesterday," when the door opens and there stands John Lennon.  Man, that was as powerful as anything I've ever seen in a theater.  Keep in mind I came of age in the 60s and have always revered the Beatles, problems and all.  I was watching MNF when Cosell stopped the world turning as he informed the world of John's killing.  I know it was fantasy but the spoiler had never been revealed, thus it was stronnng juju.

2. Multiple scenes in "Fargo." I'm in awe of the visuals and music in the opening credits.  I crack up when Margie interviews the Bear Lake girls. Lundegard is so squemish and nerdy he is a pleasure to watch, as in a monkey with a hand grenade, you can't stop watching.  The old gent shoveling snow being interviewed by the deputy, "He says, "We're dyin out here at the lake,' so I says 'What do ya want ME to do about it?' " and do on.  Love me some Fargo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its a powerful scene but you watched Three Billboards more than once?

LOL, I could watch it for that scene and Sam Rockwell's performance.  Rockwell is awesome in everything he does.  The scene he saves JoJo's life in JoJo Rabbit is awesome.  He was amazing in that movie too. 

The ending of Blackhawk Down gives me chills (running to stadium away from Mog). At first they’re shot at it, then celebrated. Music’s awesome.

Sad dog story alert…

Then the dying soldier wanting to go back out. Reminds me when we put our dog down. She was very sick, didnt eat or want to leave the yard. Was struggling to breathe. Then when the time came at the vet, she pepped up right before the shot. She wobbled and went to sleep. And then I saw that movie a week or two later.

I could make a list from that movie alone.

"We all have it coming, Kid"
"He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend"
"Its a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have"

One of the best anti-violence films ever made.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This one got me out of nowhere.  I have so much respect for those, past and present, who have served.  I thought I'd experienced (via film) all of the tear-jerking scenes from movies devoted to the military - deaths, homecomings, valor, etc...  Until this scene, I had never really thought about what it must be like to leave your family in the middle of the night for war.  At the absolute least, you know you're going to come back a completely changed man (or woman).  At most, this is your last goodbye.  

The cab driver scene from that movie always hit me too. Sadness and anger at how the military was unprepared about how to handle the deaths and the fear the wives felt every time a cab appeared on their street.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VglR1HaNlV8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by txfan75
embedding

There are a few for me that make me feel the exact way, every time.

The Malcolm X Assassination scene.

The scene in “That Thing You Do,” when they hear themselves on the radio for the first time.  That has to be a great feeling.

The end of “Night, Mother.”

Way too many scenes in Shawshank to name.  But this is one of the best.

A few scenes in Swingers I always feel the same way when they happen. (Of course the answering machine scene).  Also when the ex calls him back, and the trailer scene with the two chicks.

This scene from Elizabethtown.

Great thread topic.

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=2191]Rip76[/mention]
I absolutely cannot wait until my 14 year-old is just a tad older so that I can watch Shawshank with him.  He's very intelligent and mature and mature for his age; however, I don't think he's ready to grasp the ending fully just yet.

There’s a documentary “That Guy…Who Was in That Thing” that covers less known character actors. Mark Ralston played Boggs, the rapist in Shawshank.

Ralston tells this story about how his daughter was sick and they were in the hospital. His daughter’s asleep in his arms and they’re in the elevator. A lady gets on and looks at him and screams, “You! You’re that horrible man!”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2