Scenes that always spark the same response in you

jimmyjazz

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me, it's Upham pussing out while Mellish gets stabbed with his own bayonet in "Saving Private Ryan".  

Every time I watch that film I end up screaming "get up the stairs, you coward".  I bet I've seen it 30 times and it never fails to make me furious, especially since he had started to show a little backbone earlier in the fight, or at least minor usefulness.

Yours?

Exact scene I thought of when I read the title. That motherfucker 

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me, it's Upham pussing out while Mellish gets stabbed with his own bayonet in "Saving Private Ryan".  

Every time I watch that film I end up screaming "get up the stairs, you coward".  I bet I've seen it 30 times and it never fails to make me furious, especially since he had started to show a little backbone earlier in the fight, or at least minor usefulness.

Yours?

I always leave the room when that scene comes on. They should have shot that kraut at the radar station.

14 hours ago, texashorne said:

When Tommy kills Spider in Goodfellas. I get super pissed at Tommy

Coincidentally, every time I watch Tommy get "made" I get the Ron Swanson gleeful smirk on my face.

I've never hated a movie character more than Tommy and I relish his death every single time.

BriefParchedDodobird-max-1mb.gif

ron-swanson-smile.gif

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

No matter how many times I see it, I always laugh until my stomach hurts at the first 10 minutes of this southpark episode:

south-park-s05e10c01-class-pictures-16x9

Same.  South Park is it's absolute best when the focus is on the boys doing hilarious immature kid shit.  Especially Kenny.

The episode that provokes uncontrollable laughter from me no matter how many times I see it is this

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952dadd56e37eb54c1333

• Hook 'Em 1

Band of Brothers.  There are multiple times it gets dusty for me.  One in particular is when Spears runs through the village that is occupied by the Nazis. As he is running to deliver a message the Nazis look on in disbelief and then start shooting at him.  On his return trip the camera angle picks him up running towards you with the battle going on with smoke and flames.  An incredible scene.  And a total badass move by a badass soldier.

Pretty much any scene that shows soldiers going off to war or some patriotic scene.

As @AUS-97HORN stated the ending of Saving Private Ryan with Ryan crying at Miller's grave.

Like @Chico_SA, the "give'em hell" scene in Glory.

The singing of "La Marseillaise" in Casablanca that @Bama Llama stated.

Another scene that gets me in the feels every time is in Good Morning Viet Nam when Cronauer is talking to the soldiers from his jeep, while the convoy that the soldiers are in headed to the front, get stuck in a traffic jam.  When the traffic jam is finally cleared and on the convoy gets underway again with the soldiers cheering to Cronauer gets to me.

Heck, even some of the propaganda type movies (usually musical genre) from the 1940's get to me.

Field of Dreams comes to mind for me too.  It reminds my of my grandfather and how he introduced me to the game and played catch, flies and skinners, and how to hit a ball.  When the movie come out within a couple of years of his death, I think I was one of several men having to take a little extra time to leave the theater.

Dig all the mentions about the movies I've seen like SPR and Shawshank and Forrest Gump.

I have mentioned it before - Godfather 2 - Michael embracing Fredo at Mama's funeral. 'Daaaaamn'

20 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Field of Dreams "wanna have a catch scene" makes my allergies act up.

i know this is a lot of people's... and every goddamn time, as it builds to that scene, I say to myself: "surely i am not gonna get choked up again. i know the scene by heart, i know what is going to happen. I've seen it 20 times already"

and then, dammit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The Green Leaves of Summer from soundtrack whiz Dimitri Tiomkin.  The staff car creeping slowly up the hill to this music took me right back to 1960 and another throat grabber (same song/tune).  Saludos, mis amigos de Texas!

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh we diggin in our feels. 

miguel signing to coco 
Ironman dying 
John Coffey dying 
Beat me by 3 min. Miguel singing to Mama Coco. That movie was so well done. My kids are teenagers now and we still watch that one every so often.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

A simple scene about how every role is important - sometimes the MOST important. About how “l” doesn’t get nearly the results as “WE” do.

After the engineers solve the filter problem in Apollo 13. It gets me, every time.

And of course in BOB, at the end. “Were you a hero in the war?” “No….but I served in a company of heroes.” I’ve never watched that scene and not just completely broken.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

when Red asks for a one way ticket to Fort Hancock, Texas.  i've watched that scene a hundred time, but i still get chills and start to well up.  i know he makes it across the border.   i know he's gonna find Andy on the beach.  but i still get emotional.

Brooks' letter does it for me the most of any scene from Shawshank. The "they won't make a fuss for an old crook like me"

Shit man that's heavy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And this is my submission off the top of my head - although it mostly works when you've watched the entire film leading into it. But if it isn't the best ending to a movie ever then it ain't far behind in the top 5.

To take the classic black-and-whiteness of a superhero story and drag it around in the mud for almost 3 hours until it becomes morally ambiguous and then at the end be able to tie it all together so neatly always blows me away. And I think it's a film that gets better with age the more morally ambigious our own society becomes. If it's been awhile do yourself a favor and give it a watch. 

p.s. - I think what really sells it is Gordon's son beginning to question society around him and his resultant inability to understand why someone so good is suddenly the target of law enforcement. Just brilliant directing and social commentary. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

as you wish the princess bride GIF

One of those piercing moments.  I want to be The Grandfather when I grow up.

Another is Herman Blume's haircut scene in Rushmore.  The whole scene is just perfect, from the pin exchange to Blume's expression when he meets Bert to "Are you fond of that mustache?  You think you wanna keep it for a while?"

Same for the Jaguar Shark scene in Life Aquatic.  I see why Anderson is so persnickety, because every little thing in those scenes is done for a reason and done to perfection.

And one of the all-time greats:

Even though I know all of these scenes by heart, every time I watch them I'm glued to the screen like it's the first time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

The Green Leaves of Summer from soundtrack whiz Dimitri Tiomkin.  The staff car creeping slowly up the hill to this music took me right back to 1960 and another throat grabber (same song/tune).  Saludos, mis amigos de Texas!

Tiomkin was a treasure.

• Hook 'Em 1

This scene in American Made always makes me laugh my ass off while also marveling at the cojones it took to tell them fuck no you're guy doesn't fly.  It might be funnier to me because Cruise's character reminds me of a good friend, whom I can imagine going apeshit over the fat fuck being on the plane.

2:00 mark.

200.gif
One of those piercing moments.  I want to be The Grandfather when I grow up.
Another is Herman Blume's haircut scene in Rushmore.  The whole scene is just perfect, from the pin exchange to Blume's expression when he meets Bert to "Are you fond of that mustache?  You think you wanna keep it for a while?"
Same for the Jaguar Shark scene in Life Aquatic.  I see why Anderson is so persnickety, because every little thing in those scenes is done for a reason and done to perfection.
And one of the all-time greats:
Even though I know all of these scenes by heart, every time I watch them I'm glued to the screen like it's the first time.

I’m always amazed at the Rollo Tomassi scene in LA Confidential, paying extra attention to Exley’s measured reaction and realization, knowing that the Captain is the guy and that he can’t show emotion.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3